The Rise of the Right Wing In Ireland.

Sure, if you note the numbers moving to just the UK and Australia (albeit the 2 biggest markets we have for young people) it's still a lot, though. a near 50% increase for Australia which is mad. So no I doubt the majority are not Irish citizens.

I wouldn't say I'm being melodramatic, I do think it's incredibly tough for young people here right now, so many are forced to live at home because renting is an impossibility. Why wouldn't they emigrate?

You’re being melodramatic with the angle on these stats which sound a bit like the Great Replacement crap the fascists this thread is about like to bang on about. We’re not seeing a massive exodus of Irish people replaced by people from the developing world (not saying you implied this but the headline figures you shared could easily be interpreted that way)

Even the most pessimistic interpretation (none of the 69k leaving are immigrants returning to their home country) we’re seeing about 30k Irish people being swapped out for 30k EU/UK citizens each year. In a country of 5 million + people. Plus we have a very long tradition of exporting our young people abroad, more recently tending to return a few years later.

None of which is to disagree with the idea that it’s very hard for young people here right now. Especially due to cost of living and accomodation. Although we do have quite low unemployment compared to a lot of other countries, all of which are also struggling with increased cost of living and the housing crisis seems universal.

You’re being melodramatic with the angle on these stats which sound a bit like the Great Replacement crap the fascists this thread is about like to bang on about. We’re not seeing a massive exodus of Irish people replaced by people from the developing world (not saying you implied this but the headline figures you shared could easily be interpreted that way)

Even the most pessimistic interpretation (none of the 69k leaving are immigrants returning to their home country) we’re seeing about 30k Irish people being swapped out for 30k EU/UK citizens each year. In a country of 5 million + people. Plus we have a very long tradition of exporting our young people abroad, more recently tending to return a few years later.

None of which is to disagree with the idea that it’s very hard for young people here right now. Especially due to cost of living and accomodation. Although we do have quite low unemployment compared to a lot of other countries, all of which are also struggling with increased cost of living and the housing crisis seems universal.
Ah I wasn't at that, c'mon. I was pointing out that there are more people emigrating than in a long time which surely means more Irish people emigrating than in a long time, and that it's a direct result of how fecking hard it is for young people in the country at the moment. The numbers speak for themselves, we're letting record numbers in, more than any other country in Europe relative to population size, I believe, whilst all our critical services are at complete breaking point. This isn't to say I don't generally support immigration, I do, it's a benefit overall, especially as populations age and fertility declines, but that doesn't mean the current situation isn't completely fecked.

It's really hard to seriously discuss immigration because if you're critical of the numbers coming in you automatically get associated with these cnuts and people talk down as if it's not a problem, it obviously is a problem that we have net migration of 100k a year in a country where we have a shortage of basically everything. With that said I do believe the solution is for our government to cop on and fix all these shortages, not just in housing, but let's be honest, they're completely inept and that won't happen.

Wheres a good place to emigrate to these days? I heard Australia is having a similar housing crisis aswell as Canada

Would love to get out of Ireland but I have a feeling it isn't much better in most places
There are other places than those two though.

I know you know that so I don't mean to sound condescending, but it just reminds me of chats with friends from home who dislike living in Ireland, but then say Vancouver is full and Australia is too far away, and conclude that there's nowhere to go.

There are other places than those two though.

I know you know that so I don't mean to sound condescending, but it just reminds me of chats with friends from home who dislike living in Ireland, but then say Vancouver is full and Australia is too far away, and conclude that there's nowhere to go.
I had a friend emigrate to Holland. Came back a year later because he found the housing situation even worse. I think its a problem everywhere.

Anecdotally, A significant majority of the people I grew up with moved away to London, Australia, Canada, and a small number to the US. All of them did it in their early 20s for a new experience for a few years. Most of them are back, the only people that really stayed are the ones that were making crazy money wherever they were, or people that met someone. I'd hazard a guess that a significant amount of the young Irish people emigrating these days are doing the same? I don't think they're all leaving in despair, they all move to places that are having the same problems as Ireland. I find that the people giving out stink about their prospects online are usually people that aren't arsed upping sticks and doing something about it.

I hope he runs. It would show how unpopular he is here. Most of his fanbase wouldn't know how a voting ballot works anyway.

He can't be that stupid that he thinks the President has any power at all, surely?
It's a recurring theme with these folks.

In the last election, there were bunches of these folks who thought the positions they were running for had more power that they actually did. They had very little conception of what they would actually be able to do in the job.