The Rise of the Right Wing In Ireland.

What you're suggesting is less believable than what the pictures suggest.

So you think there aren't links/cooperation between the various right wing groups across Europe and it's just a coping mechanism?

What exactly is unexplainable? Yes we have racist cnuts here but these lads are being funded by outside interests and Russian bot farms are a real danger to democracy.
The links are not just links, they are fundamental to the growth of the right in Ireland. I know from personal experience Nick Griffin was grooming Irish right wingers in the late 90s.

I think what's happening here now was inevitable and utterly separate from the North. If anything the situation in the North (not Ulster) kept the inevitable at bay for a half century.
That's essentially what I said.

I haven’t seen video clips yet containing their voices.

To make it look ‘better’ perhaps, to buttress some loose and phoney solidarity between otherwise opposing tribes.

The people banging that drum do it more of as a kind of coping mechanism, to explain what is unexplainable to them in other words. It’s kind of akin to blaming Russia and Putin for Brexit and Trump.

A few North Dublin accents for you there

It looks like there was only around 10 to 15 people from Dublin at it. So that's something at least.

That Radio Genoa account is all over this stuff too.

Because the far right wankers from the south call themselves Irish nationalists.

There seems to be a push to describe it as Loyalists and Republicans united, even in an article where they're also called an anti-immigration mob, when it was anything but in the traditional sense of the term Republican in Irish politics.

The Republicans were in the anti-fash counter-protest so nothing's really changed at all.

Because the far right wankers from the south call themselves Irish nationalists.

And patriots. And even sovereign citizens. It's just mimicry.

Also, the republican movement was always prone to schisms.

Connolly, and then Sinn Fein put an anti imperialist ideology into our nationalism so most of the ideologues from the Republican movement are left wing as a result.

Fascism needs the same iconography that Sinn Fein have become synonymous with, that's why the main thrust of the right's ire here is at the Shinners and not the government. The Shinners occupy much of the space that right wingers occupy in the rest of Europe.

Fascism needs the same iconography that Sinn Fein have become synonymous with, that's why the main thrust of the right's ire here is at the Shinners and not the government.
That's not the main reason. SF have become the focus of the Right's ire because the people/areas from which they derive most of their support are those most disproportionately affected by high levels of immigration.

The Shinners occupy much of the space that right wingers occupy in the rest of Europe.
Agreed.

That's not the main reason. SF have become the focus of the Right's ire because the people/areas from which they derive most of their support are those most disproportionately affected by high levels of immigration.

It's highly unusual for a protests against government policy to target the opposition, especially one that has never been in power. Except by orchestration.

So you think the anti Sinn Fein thrust of the protests, organised and fueled by the far right just coincidentally echos the election campaigns of the right wing parties?

Hmmm

It's highly unusual for a protests against government policy to target the opposition, especially one that has never been in power. Except by orchestration.
It is, but this isn't a 'normal' issue for want of a better term.

It's also my view that these protests against the various IPAS centres are also a proxy for growing discontent around immigration as a whole.

So you think the anti Sinn Fein thrust of the protests, organised and fueled by the far right just coincidentally echos the election campaigns of the right wing parties?

Hmmm
I'm just saying what I said which is that the people/areas from which Sinn Fein derive most of their support are those most disproportionately affected by high levels of immigration. That's the main factor and I think it's naive to suggest otherwise.

That bad actors like far-right nativist nutters take advantage of such situations and try to drive such feelings in a particular direction, i.e. towards supporting them, is to be expected unfortunately.

I think too many Irish people have had their heads in the sand over this stuff for far too long now.

It is, but this isn't a 'normal' issue for want of a better term.

It's so normal it's textbook. Predicted years ago. Even by me on here. The right gain silent support from the middle classes and footsoldiers from the working classes. Since always.

The existence of Sinn Fein hindered the growth of the right here so now they need to dismantle them. Thus they urge the protest to target them, not the government.

You haven't explained why the support for Sinn Fein turned to anger. There is no reason other than urged to do so by the new patriots.

Mad that after the latest polls we are probably going to end up with the exact same government as 2016 :lol:

SF blew it.

What?

The thread is literally called the Rise of the Right. That's the discussion we're having.
I know that. I was responding to your accurate claim that 'it's highly unusual for a protests against government policy to target the opposition, especially one that has never been in power,' by pointing out that sadly this isn't a normal or typical issue.

I know that. I was responding to your accurate claim that 'it's highly unusual for a protests against government policy to target the opposition, especially one that has never been in power,' by pointing out that sadly this isn't a normal or typical issue.

We are talking about right wing demos. Other countries have right wing demos. It is a thing. They never attack the opposition, always the government, even if that opposition is supported in the areas the protesters hail from.

Sinn Fein are being attacked by design by the NP and IFP in all of their literature, meetings and these protests.

Lots of Sinn Fein voters have affiliations that are quite transferable to the right, much more so than our largely centrist population. It's a tactic by the right, not an organic reflex by the protestors.

It's so normal it's textbook. Predicted years ago. Even by me on here. The right gain silent support from the middle classes and footsoldiers from the working classes. Since always.

The existence of Sinn Fein hindered the growth of the right here so now they need to dismantle them. Thus they urge the protest to target them, not the government.

You haven't explained why the support for Sinn Fein turned to anger. There is no reason other than urged to do so by the new patriots.

Aren’t you guys both making the same point? Sinn Fein and the far right are both trying to appeal to the same base (the underprivileged) That’s why Sinn Fein is being singled out for criticism by right wing agitators. They’re competing for the same votes.

Aren’t you guys both making the same point? Sinn Fein and the far right are both trying to appeal to the same base (the underprivileged) That’s why Sinn Fein is being singled out for criticism by right wing agitators. They’re competing for the same votes.
I think Kinsella is saying the ire towards the Shinners is organic.

I think it's far from it. It's also why the establishment didn't react until actual violence occured as it suited them.

I think it's far from it. It's also why the establishment didn't react until actual violence occured as it suited them.

I still think both views can be valid. The far right are 100% targeting Sinn Féin in their rhetoric. But there’s bound to be an element of anger aimed their way from communities (who think they are) adversely affected by immigration, as a party that is widely perceived as being pro-immigration. Both things can be true at once.

We are talking about right wing demos. Other countries have right wing demos. It is a thing. They never attack the opposition, always the government, even if that opposition is supported in the areas the protesters hail from.
Sinn Fein's status as the Opposition is relatively recent thing remember. It's not something that's deep rooted and was spurred largely by what happened after the banking crash in 2008.

The ‘normal’ issue I’m referring to by the way is immigration - the issue that’s providing the main fertiliser or fuel for this current rise of the Right.

Sinn Fein are being attacked by design by the NP and IFP in all of their literature, meetings and these protests.
That's to be expected, political parties do such things all the time. The difference here is that this issue is toxic and dangerous.

Lots of Sinn Fein voters have affiliations that are quite transferable to the right, much more so than our largely centrist population.
That's because much of its support is quite loosely coalesced around its raison d'etre - a United Ireland. Take that away and what do you have left?

It's a tactic by the right, not an organic reflex by the protestors.
I think it's probably both.

Last edited:

I think it's both organic and manipulated.

And it's already moved the dial/shifted the Overton window now in any case.

I think it's both organic and manipulated.

And it's already moved the dial/shifted the Overton window now in any case.
How is disenchantment with an opposition party with no power over the situation organic?

Can you give me one other example of a party in opposition getting the backlash for policies they didn't put in place?

How is disenchantment with an opposition party with no power over the situation organic?

Can you give me one other example of a party in opposition getting the backlash for policies they didn't put in place?
Well firstly you seem to be assuming that people always react rationally to such things.

But in respect of Sinn Fein specifically, have they been against such policies and have their own been substantially different? Take the recent referendums as another example, where was the opposition there…not just from Sinn Fein but from any of the mainstream parties?

Britain and many other European nations have always had a large right ring minority but Ireland has always been seen as one of the most liberal countries in Europe, at least in recent history. There must have been some catastrophic failures in economic and social policies for there to be a rise of the far right in Ireland.

Well firstly you seem to be assuming that people always react rationally to such things.

But in respect of Sinn Fein specifically, have they been against such policies and have their own been substantially different? Take the recent referendums as another example, where was the opposition there not just from Sinn Fein but from any of the mainstream parties?

I'm not assuming anything. I have been watching this closely for years and have seen the orchestrated attack from the right focus on Sinn Fein.

There are quite a few who went from pre COVID mask supporters of Sinn Fein to huge critics, again despite Sinn Fein not having anything to do with it. But they did find anti Vax anti mask soulmates on the right. I don't see that slide without very clever and highly active messaging from.the right.

I'm asking for one example to back something I don't believe to have ever been the case.

Saying it's irrational is not exactly scientific. If anything it proves more explanation is required.

Sinn Fein dropped off from the general election but improved on previous local elections. Everyone knows that Irish local elections vary hugely from patterns in general elections.

I passed through Sandy Row earlier and saw at least 4 or 5 shops/properties completely wrecked.

The police in England at least try to stop such destruction. No such luck here.

I passed through Sandy Row earlier and saw at least 4 or 5 shops/properties completely wrecked.

No reason we cant catch up with the people who did it. CCTV is pretty common nowadays. Shops are being looted in England too.

Weird comment. You've clearly not been watching the UK news. There's shops wrecked and burned out all over the place.

Weird comment. You've clearly not been watching the UK news. There's shops wrecked and burned out all over the place.
It’s not weird at all if you’re familiar with this place. And in the first instance, the numbers involved here seems to have been proportionally much smaller than those involved at the various locations in England.

Last edited:
It’s not weird at all if you’re familiar with this place. And in the first instance, the numbers involved here seems to have been proportionally much smaller than those involved at the various locations in England.

I meant the cops comment. They did feck all to stop looting across the water.

I meant the cops comment. They did feck all to stop looting across the water.
Yeah, but going by all the video footage on the news, they were dealing with very large numbers of people across many locations. The police here were dealing with a comparatively small group in one location, and are well used to dealing with civil disturbances given the usual NI guff over the decades.

They burnt the shop facing the rangers where I get my fresh coriander fs.
Need to pay £1.89 now from Eurospar for 3 sprigs in a bag.

They burnt the shop facing the rangers where I get my fresh coriander fs.
Need to pay £1.89 now from Eurospar for 3 sprigs in a bag.

That's awful Ian. People rarely understand the impact these idiots have on our lives.