The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Just caught up with the highlights but how did Joshua not see that big right coming in the very first round? That had a good 5-10 second wind up on it before it landed on his chin. He was gone after that. No way he was dodging anything else when the head is in cuckoo land.

Fixed your comment for you

Fury fought Wilder 3x, the same Wilder everyone wanted AJ to fight for years. But sure who ducked who, but Fury took that fight when the world considered Wilder a dangerous fight. Just because he dispatched him with ease, you can't take that away from him. Pre Fury, Wilder would have absolutely given AJ a tough fight and could have easily beat him. He's a joke now and seems to have less desire and has had a look took out of him with the trilogy fights, but he was a different prospect back then.

Just caught up with the highlights but how did Joshua not see that big right coming in the very first round? That had a good 5-10 second wind up on it before it landed on his chin. He was gone after that. No way he was dodging anything else when the head is in cuckoo land.

It was poor in a way from AJ, but also nice from Dubois. He was out of range and stepped in nicely to land it. Think AJ thought he was safe in that brief moment, but you can't take those risks at that level. AJ is just a mess on the back foot altogether, and not a good boxer technically. Hence this type of mistake.

Not sensational, but better than every other heavyweight bar Usyk.

It's a shame too, as Wilder was offered a 100m contract to join dzn for 3 fights including AJ, but ducked him to fight Ortiz again. And Fury has strung Hearn and AJ along at least twice only to not take the fight

I can’t argue much against that, it’s quite a poor showing really that the only decent record really, is Usyk

Even Fury’s fight record isn’t one too be admired, fair enough he schooled Wlad in 2015, he took on Wilder when at the time, Wilder was feared, but that’s it really, as far as fights that impress me go on Fury’s record.

The fights we truly wanted too see just haven’t been made because promotors and fighters were following the tactical money route rather than what the fight fans want too see

Yet we are lead too believe Heavy weight boxing is in a great place in recent months. Far from it in my book

Fury fought Wilder 3x, the same Wilder everyone wanted AJ to fight for years. But sure who ducked who, but Fury took that fight when the world considered Wilder a dangerous fight. Just because he dispatched him with ease, you can't take that away from him. Pre Fury, Wilder would have absolutely given AJ a tough fight and could have easily beat him. He's a joke now and seems to have less desire and has had a look took out of him with the trilogy fights, but he was a different prospect back then.
Wilder is an interesting case. He's going to retire with his best win being Ortiz. That's really embarrassing. His is arguably the most padded record in boxing history, and that's not even hyperbole.

Added to that, anyone who ever watched a Wilder fight will know that he was not a good boxer. Laughable technique and work rate. Rangey and powerful though.

I struggle to give Fury much credit for the Wilder wins. I think his knockout of Whyte is far more notable

Too much money can be made off the back of AJs name.

He might be done as a top level fighter, but he's still a big name in boxing
Ya not many boxers can fill 94,000 seats , I reckon Eddie Hearn will push for a rematch and it’ll go to Saudi and AJ will be knocked out again. I think AJ and Eddie Hearn know there’s only 1-2 pay days left in him

Dubois was extremely classy in victory. Even in the ring, for the best sporting moment of his life, he didn't laud it over an opponent who had being trying to belittle him in the build up. He even went to check on him before celebrating.
I think it was at the end of the 3rd round AJ points at Dubois corner as in he’s ordering him to go to it and AJ getting completely destroyed by him :lol:

Full credit to Dubois, who was aggressive and for once was taking a little half step back to avoid shots but Joshua a didn’t look right even before he got dropped to me.

He seems so fragile mentally and looked on edge and bordering on scared from the start, pushing out slow jabs from a low guard with a glazed look on his face like the magnitude of the event got to him rather than Dubois as some expected.

It reminded me of how he looked in the first Ruiz fight.

Wilder is an interesting case. He's going to retire with his best win being Ortiz. That's really embarrassing. His is arguably the most padded record in boxing history, and that's not even hyperbole.

Added to that, anyone who ever watched a Wilder fight will know that he was not a good boxer. Laughable technique and work rate. Rangey and powerful though.

I struggle to give Fury much credit for the Wilder wins. I think his knockout of Whyte is far more notable

We all know Wilder is a poor boxer

But I believe the posters point was nobody was saying that before Fury fought him, it was all about Wilders punch power too knock anyone out.

Obviously we all know Fury schooled him and exposed Wilder for puppet boxer, but it certainly wasn’t billed that way before Fury fought him

Why was this fight allowed to continue into the 5th?

Joshua was well out of it before that.

It’s tough to feel sorry for AJ when you look over his career. Hearn has rinsed and used him. Throughout the start of his career Joshua put up a fake persona for a great media image. It wasn’t properly until he lost against Ruiz that the curtain came down and he started to show his true personality and colours, acting like an absolute fool after fights and before fights. Showed again last night with the “I’m going to stay calm even though I’m pissed and want to kick off on the ring”. What does that even mean? Kick off? He’s gone from British boxing hero media image to bad boy London gangster. It’s what has made it tough to ever truly like him as it felt fake from day one with how Hearn tried to portray him to the public and media to get him into being a mega star.

It’s why it’s beautiful to see somebody like Dubois win last night. Just a normal guy with no fake media personality that comes across genuine.

He wasn't a great boxer, but he was dangerous. But that's all I can say about AJ too, though. That's the case for a lot of the heavyweights over the last few years. All I'm saying is I think there's been some revisionism in hindsight after the Fury fight, where he clearly went down hill. I'm a big Fury fan, and was wanting him to beat Wilder obviously. But after the first fight, at that point I was convinced Wilder would beat AJ. His power and awkward shots would have been a nightmare for a stiff, upright, chinny guy like AJ. It would have been 50/50 for me, but I thought Wilder would connect and it'd be lights out. Afterall, if he can connect with an elusive guy like Fury, it's only a matter of time with AJ.

Obviously Wilder is completely rubbish these days and doesn't even look like he wants to fight or has any belief in himself anymore. Those batterings from Fury have finished him mentally.

We all know Wilder is a poor boxer

But I believe the posters point was nobody was saying that before Fury fought him, it was all about Wilders punch power too knock anyone out.

Obviously we all know Fury schooled him and exposed Wilder for puppet boxer, but it certainly wasn’t billed that way before Fury fought him

Yeah exactly. People are talking in hindsight now. But before Fury, it was a huge debate over who would win between him and AJ. Now it's talked about like he was a nothing fighter.

Fury in his prime would have schooled AJ just the same, probably would now. So then what? Is AJ a bum aswell?

That's a wild take. AJ fought almost nothing but title defences up until his second loss to Usyk. After Vlad, he beat Parker, Povetkin, Ruiz, Takam and Pulev.

The loss last night will be a bad look if he doesn't avenge it, but to call his career a disappointment is ridiculous

Indeed. AJ has had some good wins on his resume, it is on par with Fury who took on Wilder one too many times, despite how entertaining they were.

I think it was at the end of the 3rd round AJ points at Dubois corner as in he’s ordering him to go to it and AJ getting completely destroyed by him :lol:

He didn't know where he was last night. He kept sticking his tongue out and smiling, as though he's in control. But at the same time he was getting battered from pillar to post. He's a deluded idiot.

If you watch the final ko, I'm sure Dubois landed with a right and AJ said "nah" to him, and then he just lined another up and slumped him.

It makes me laugh to read about "if AJ doesn't get hit like that in the first..." but he DID get hit like that. It wasn't like it was some new move never seen before, this is heavyweight boxing.

I was seriously impressed with Dubois aggression, he is an absolute tank with insane power. He deserved it, well done to him. Thoroughly outclassed from the first second.

Don't know where AJ goes from here, he's turned into a bit if a journeyman, keeps getting beat. The Fury AJ fight becomes less interesting by the day.

It’s tough to feel sorry for AJ when you look over his career. Hearn has rinsed and used him. Throughout the start of his career Joshua put up a fake persona for a great media image. It wasn’t properly until he lost against Ruiz that the curtain came down and he started to show his true personality and colours, acting like an absolute fool after fights and before fights. Showed again last night with the “I’m going to stay calm even though I’m pissed and want to kick off on the ring”. What does that even mean? Kick off? He’s gone from British boxing hero media image to bad boy London gangster. It’s what has made it tough to ever truly like him as it felt fake from day one with how Hearn tried to portray him to the public and media to get him into being a mega star.

It’s why it’s beautiful to see somebody like Dubois win last night. Just a normal guy with no fake media personality that comes across genuine.
Well AJ has form, he’s been a naughty boy in the past was dropped from the British Olympic Team for possession and spent time on remand on other charges. He is not the nice person that he portrays to be and he showed that after the fight.

:lol: it's a sport. Should the stadiums sit in silence out of respect for the fighters?

This sport is different to any others. It's two people putting their lives on the line for the entertainment of others. I have no issue with people celebrating Dubois' win, but there is no need to ridicule AJ, who is pretty much the reason most people in this thread are even watching boxing - normally this thread gets a page of posting at the most when the best fighters in the world such as Canelo and Crawford are fighting.

Well deserved, way too cocky

He's concussed. Not sure if you've ever taken blows off a heavyweight puncher in the head before and acted normally. I haven't and I won't judge them for what they say do/after - same reason I don't take some of AJ's other post-fight interviews seriously.

No way AJ should fight again, a guy as insecure as him will be mentally crushed after getting dogwalked by a guy he tried to portray as beneath him, am sure Hearn and the Saudis will roll him out a few more times yet though

By no means a boxing expert but I kinda see AJ as the boxing equivalent of Rashford.

Just when you think he is back or 'it', he finds a way to fall and let you down. Ultimately overhyped through being British and circumstance, completely undeserving of the status given.

He needed Luke Shaw behind him in his corner to perform well :angel:

That's a wild take. AJ fought almost nothing but title defences up until his second loss to Usyk. After Vlad, he beat Parker, Povetkin, Ruiz, Takam and Pulev.

The loss last night will be a bad look if he doesn't avenge it, but to call his career a disappointment is ridiculous

Nah it was a 41 year old Wlad and the other names you mentioned are a joke. I mean the fact he lost to Ruiz is a farce in itself.

He would be long retired if he thought Fury, Joyce or Wilder in the past 5 years.

He’s already beating any heavyweight on the planet including Usyk. Look at his footwork, skill, speed and power. Been nothing like this in boxing since a young Mike Tyson.
Talk about setting the kid up to fail with needless hyperbole. =/

Dubois is a massive guy using that power, speed and size in a way that makes him lethal and negates technical gaps and flaws. He was already robbed vs Usyk who was wrecked by a thunderous body shot and the way Dubois throws the jab and has found his lane in following up without hesitation means everything he throws has the potential to end fights.

The barrier to the HW division for Usyk was supposed to be the power and sheer size advantage of the true HW’s yet only Dubois bombed on him like the heavy’s were expected to and it should have been a win because that whole feigning a low blow was an absolute farce. Dubois looks like he’s getting better and sharper with each fight now and believing in himself where in the past he’s been hesitant. I think the window to fight him is extremely narrow given Fury’s age and Dubois’ improving belief in himself.

Either by Father Time or winning in the ring, he’s looking like someone who is going to end up being the top dog. I feel you’ll need the same kind of destructive power and aggression to keep him off - the move to full-on offence is perfect for him as the deterrent counter punchers who can land and evade aren’t there (Fury is considerably slower now and Usyk has already been beaten).

Whatever happens in December, I reckon Dubois is going to end up being left out in the cold, similar to how Aspinall is essentially being ducked by Stipe and Jones in MMA. He’s too young, aggressive, hungry and dangerous for the money on the table.

This sport is different to any others. It's two people putting their lives on the line for the entertainment of others. I have no issue with people celebrating Dubois' win, but there is no need to ridicule AJ, who is pretty much the reason most people in this thread are even watching boxing - normally this thread gets a page of posting at the most when the best fighters in the world such as Canelo and Crawford are fighting.

He's concussed. Not sure if you've ever taken blows off a heavyweight puncher in the head before and acted normally. I haven't and I won't judge them for what they say do/after - same reason I don't take some of AJ's other post-fight interviews seriously.

I think you're being a bit too precious about it all, AJ isn't sat reading RedCafe. But to be honest, it comes with the territory and he knows it. He's enjoyed the stardom and the money, of course there's going to be fans on the other side of the coin that don't like the guy.

Biggest surprise of the night was that they managed to get 94,000 people in the stadium for that fight.

Joshua has been punch drunk for quite some time now. Found out on every level. Best thing to say about him now in hindsight is that he's always had heart. Demonstrated last night and also in the fact that he's fought everyone he was able to.

This has been spoken of a lot as a strong era for heavyweight boxing but it never was. An elite cruiserweight has been able to clean out the division relatively easily. It's produced some exciting fights but the whole occasion last night felt pompous and overblown, topped off in some style by the Saudi anthem being sung at Wembley stadium.

I think you're being a bit too precious about it all, AJ isn't sat reading RedCafe. But to be honest, it comes with the territory and he knows it. He's enjoyed the stardom and the money, of course there's going to be fans on the other side of the coin that don't like the guy.

Perhaps. You're right that he isn't sitting around reading what keyboard warriors like us are saying online. He will likely not retire and have another crack at Dubois or get in with Fury. This is heavyweight boxing - over the past few years we have seen Fury, Wilder and AJ fighting while out on their feet. Some people take the piss for eventually getting flattened but I give them all props for being able to do that.

Talk about setting the kid up to fail with needless hyperbole. =/
Have you seen him? Do you see how good he is? You have to be blind not to. Which heavyweight is currently anywhere near that level? Possibly Usyk, but he doesn’t have the same power as Itaume. Generational talent that kid. Sort of like Woods, Littler, Messi etc.

The ref was all over the place in the main event or is it just me ? There was controversy when Fury was allowed to do a whole free program back skating against Usyk but not ruling down the KD as soon as Joshua touched the canvas with both gloves, thus letting Dubois batter him (not a service to do to AJ) seemingly stopping the fight (though perhaps he was signaling no KD) on that but rescinding it immediately...

Gave AJ the chance to land his only meaningful hit and no one can contest it was a legit stoppage, I guess... But Joshua just took a ton of damage some of it needlessly.

The ref was all over the place in the main event or is it just me ? There was controversy when Fury was allowed to do a whole free program back skating against Usyk but not ruling down the KD as soon as Joshua touched the canvas with both gloves, thus letting Dubois batter him (not a service to do to AJ) seemingly stopping the fight (though perhaps he was signaling no KD) on that but rescinding it immediately...

Gave AJ the chance to land his only meaningful hit and no one can contest it was a legit stoppage, I guess... But Joshua just took a ton of damage some of it needlessly.
In the end it didn’t effect the result, but the ref made a couple of absolute howlers last night.

British refs are generally terrible

Have you seen him? Do you see how good he is? You have to be blind not to. Which heavyweight is currently anywhere near that level? Possibly Usyk, but he doesn’t have the same power as Itaume. Generational talent that kid. Sort of like Woods, Littler, Messi etc.
Mate only two of his 10 opponents are in blue on wikipedia

"Been nothing like this in boxing since a young Tyson." but I guess by the names from other sports you're comparing him to as prodigious talent, you think he has the potential to be Sugar Ray Robinson levels of good i.e. the best boxer of all time, which I think is crazy talk, especially so when he's faced no challenges yet.

He looks good, potentially great, but 'young Tyson' great, you're on your own with that. The buzz around him would also be astronomical if it was commonly held as an opinion.

It makes me laugh to read about "if AJ doesn't get hit like that in the first..." but he DID get hit like that. It wasn't like it was some new move never seen before, this is heavyweight boxing.

AJ to his corner "what the feck! Did you see that shot? What the hell was that???"

Corner "yeah it was crazy, we'll work on it in the next camp, stay focused"