The Nani Goal

You're a bit confused mate.

The linesman's primary job (in general, not officially per se) is to flag when a player is offside. The referee doesn't focus on this. When the linesman flags the referee has no reason or evidence to go against their word. Sometimes they do though.

For offsides the linesman has the decision 99% of the time for that reason. I'd imagine it's nowhere near 90% for incidents in play.

Well he's now called a "refereeing assistant." I don't know, I just know that if that goal had gone against Arsenal, I'd be fuming for days. You can argue they even themselves out though, given that Spurs scored when the assistant had his flag up at Fulham a couple of weeks back.

I'd agree with the general view about poor sportsmanship, but it was a fecking penalty, so Spurs can get fecked, the amount of blatant penalties we don't get given is incredibly annoying.

Poor sportsmanship on Nani part? How the hell so? He literally sought for the referee's permission who ALLOWED him to kick the ball.

What more do you want him to do?

"When the Spurs keeper doesnt take the advantage, a freekick should be given".

Actually, Gomes brought the ball 15 yards forward before Nani touched it. He's taken the advantage he just given us a gift afterwards

Spot on. Gomes certainly has some blame

A. It was a penalty in the first place.
B. When Nani went to ground and put his hand on the ball, that happens every fecking game when players go to ground.
C. By the time Gomes had put the ball on the ground, the linesman hadn't flagged yet, the ref hadn't blew the whistle and was actually waving play on.
D. You play to the fecking whistle, Nani did nothing wrong.

I see nothing wrong with the goal, but sure it's always polemic with us.

Indeed, the panel on ESPN had a weird arguement they were all agreed it shouldn't have been given, but at the same time said it actually was perfectly within the laws of the game.

They were trying not to contradict the nobend commentators

According to your logic, by the letter of the law, it was a foul by Kaboul, most probably a second yellow for his foul, and a penalty for us, surely?

But like the non-existent freekick, the referee didn't blow the whistle and it was a cheap goal for Gomes to give away, albeit one which was weirdly deserved. I won't be losing any sleep over it, but if VDS had made the same mistake, I would have been absolutely furious.

Yep, penalty I thought. No doubt. 2-0 was probably the right result, as I've said, but the way the second was scored was seriously dubious.

Heads up play by nani. Gomez should play till the whistle. Unsporting, maybe, but so is over acting for a foul, pulling the shirt, getting in the officials face, etc....

Or the referee may have seen the handball, and decided to play advantage to Spurs. Hardly a big and hard decision seeing as Gomez had the ball in his hands.

I am afraid thats clearly not the case. When you watch him he's walking back talking to a United player, and made no signal ( which is a clearly defined signal used by referees ) that he is playing the advantage.

Clattenberg, the moment Gomez had the ball in his hands starts to move back and makes no attempt to talk to Nani, nor make any gesture to signal he was playing an advantage. QUite simply he did nothing. That can only lead you to the conclusion he never saw the handball, which being fair, from where he was, he may well not have done, but the linesman quite clearly would have and it was the lack of a signal from the linesman that caused the chaos.

How could Clattenberg play an advantage when the linesman didnt even signal for the handball in the first instance. He only flagged once he realised the feck up he'd made, and by that time it was too late.

Rio on twitter

rioferdy5 Rio Ferdinand
Handball but the Ref didn't blow so how can it be a free kick?? If its a free kick why did Gomez put the ball 10yards away from incident??

If anyone can supply a GIF of the slow motion replay of Nani running around sticking his tongue out looking like the cat with the cream and all that after scoring one of the scabbiest goals of all time, I'll be eternally greatful.

He's such a glorious twat.

Shocking decision. Sickening to see that goal given, especially when the linesman rightly disallowed it. Clattenburg wasn't even looking. Disgrace of the highest order.

You don't even understand the basic rules pal, only the referree can disallow a goal.

Yes, but there clearly wasn't an advantage to be had. Gomes clearly believed that it was a free kick, after the hand-ball, and then decided to roll it out a bit to clear down field. It was impossible for Gomes to know that an advantage had been applied, given that Clattenburg did not signal that that was the case, by holding his arms out.

So the rule book says the ref has to use hand signals if he's allowing an advantage? Not blowing the whistle simply means there's no foul/advantage played. Common sense really. You play to the whistle. Not his hand movements. I'm sure all players in the league are not deaf and require ref's hand signals to communicate whether there's a foul or not.

I assumed the ref did see the handball but played advantage.

Nani saw the way Gomez was moving and thought a freekick had been awarded, he then thinks about complaining that the freekick was being taken from the wrong place, ref waves him to play on and he realises that the ball is in play. Goal.

I bet not even one newspaper will mention that it was a blatant penalty

Mr B Cantona has it spot on methinks

i really cant see why theres so much fuss tbh

Both the penalty and handball incidents are irrelevant, no whistle has sounded and the spurs keeper has the ball in his hands, no need to stop the game just play on

Gomes f*cked up, thats all there is to it, and he even realised this himself i reckon as before Nani has even shot he runs back into position to try and save it

spurs are always good value for a laugh :jol:

To the letter of the law, yes, legitimate.

Morally, no it wasnt.

What's wrong with it morally?

Nani has such strong Morals, he even asked the ref before striking the ball towards the goal...

How many footballers would do that? Sir Alex teaching our players to respect the officials and the game :cool:

Poor sportsmanship on Nani part? How the hell so? He literally sought for the referee's permission who ALLOWED him to kick the ball.

What more do you want him to do?

Some would argue a good sportsman would have gone to the referee and admitted what he'd done.

I would use the Robbie Fowler v Seaman incident as evidence of what a good sportsman should do.

However, that is a one in a million case scenario and not one that you would expect any player to take.

Yep, but still allowed.

There's plenty of moves in football that are unsporting, but still allowed. Taking the ball to the corner flag to waste time is unsporting but allowed and taking a quick free kick before the opposition are ready is unsporting but allowed.

It's more important to win.

I agree.

fecking hilarious it was though, they were showing the replay of the foul by Kaboul in the box when it happened :lol:

:lol: Funny stuff

I think Clattenberg is a berk of a referee, but he's not done anything wrong here, in fact he's handled the situation well. Nani arguably should have had a penalty... but he doesn't so we carry on. He falls on and handles the ball, the ref could give Spurs a free kick, but Gomes picks the ball up, so he lets play continue and doesn't award a free kick... so we carry on. Gomes inexcusably puts the ball down, and Nani obviously tucks it home for a legitimate goal

Gomes is the mug here, and we all know it, so do Spurs fans. I guess they just want a bit of righteous indignation

Bang on!

Give it time and this incident was the one that decided the game according to a lot of people.

So watching the video, Nani's shot comes a good 12 seconds after Gomes has been given the advantage. Are you really going to bring it back for a freekick after a 12 second phase of play because the team dont continue to enjoy possession of the ball after that time?

Gomes received around 15 yards towards the United goal from where the incident took place. He received about 9 seconds of having the ball under his control alone, and 12 seconds before anyone else touched the ball.

What does someone have to do to "take" the advantage then? He wasnt likely to score was he.

This is all pretty straightforward, no?

The issue is whether the ref erred in not awarding a handball. He was giving Spurs an advantage. One they would have been glad about if Gomes hadn't assumed it was a free kick and chucked the ball on the ground. It was a judgement call that only begins to look suspect when you take into account what Gomes did immediately afterwards. Plenty of handballs aren't given when there is an advantage to be played.

Everything else is simple. Nani played on as he either knew a free kick hadn't been awarded or was chancing his arm.

Now what's interesting is that Clattenburg would have been guilty had he decided to disallow the goal. On what basis could he do that? They had their advantage and that's how they chose to use it. Would he have brought the play back for a free kick if a striker shot wide after being sent through while playing advantage?

I don't think it's the most sportsmanlike thing to do on Nani's part, but he was playing the whistle.

Oh, and Alastair is talking some of the most extreme bollocks we've had on here in a while. A linesman can award exactly feck all. He's is simply a set of eyes and ears for the ref to use when making decisions, whether that be by means of raising his flag or communicating with the ref. Linesmen don't stop the play, award goals, give yellow cards etc. The decision is the referee's.

So the rule book says the ref has to use hand signals if he's allowing an advantage? Not blowing the whistle simply means there's no foul/advantage played. Common sense really. You play to the whistle. Not his hand movements. I'm sure all players in the league are not deaf and require ref's hand signals to communicate whether there's a foul or not.

Yes, the referee has to signal he's playing an advantage, of course. Not blowing the whistle = no foul. It would get confusing very quickly.

Anyway, fredthered has got it bang on. Wonder if he'll be accused of being a Scouser any time soon.

Some would argue a good sportsman would have gone to the referee and admitted what he'd done.

I would use the Robbie Fowler v Seaman incident as evidence of what a good sportsman should do.

However, that is a one in a million case scenario and not one that you would expect any player to take.

Fowler did not want the player sent off. But he was happy with the decision going his way if I remember correctly.

The referee had his eye on the ball the entire time. The referee knows exactly what he's done. He talked to Gomes, he gave Nani permission to kick the ball. It all happened under the referees watchful eye, but Nani is supposed to run over to him after he has scored and claim that it shouldnt stand?

Give over.

What's wrong with it morally?

Nani has such strong Morals, he even asked the ref before striking the ball towards the goal...

How many footballers would do that? Sir Alex teaching our players to respect the officials and the game :cool:

Oh come off it. It wasnt a fair goal, whatever way you want to paint it.

We all know that United got the goal because hte linesman fecked up.

If the lino had flagged properly and the goal had been disallowed not one of us would have complained.

If that had happened at the other end then we'd all be screaming the house down about it, but the rules are the rules.

Yes it was a goal, a legitimate goal, but we all know that really we got that goal because the lino is a fecking plonker.

Admit to doing what? Scoring a perfectly good goal or that he handled the ball?

The ref knew he handled the ball, the linesman told him but he didn't give a free kick. That's it. You could see him saying it at the end of the game to the Spurs players.

All this nonsene about it being 'morally' wrong is bollocks.

Can someone please explain why the linesman put his flag up in the first place?

He either believed that a free kick had been awarded or should have been awarded. But you already knew that.

Yes Kaboul should have stopped the play and said, It should be a penalty Ref. :wenger:

Wake up Fred the red.

Yep, penalty I thought. No doubt. 2-0 was probably the right result, as I've said, but the way the second was scored was seriously dubious.

Definitely dubious. 2 wrongs make a right or is it 3 wrongs in this one goal? All in all, there would have been so much lesser trouble if the linesman had seen Kaboul's foul instead of just seeing the handball from Nani, that and if players actually play to the fecking whistle. Grates me when they just automatically assume the officials will make the right decision 100% of the time.