The Nani Goal

Here we go we've got an actual ref on 606 now, he says the goal is perfectly fine. He's saying the linesman was just bringing his attention to the handball, and Clattenburg told him he was playing advantage. And the ref's saying it's all Gomes' fault.

Why the feck would the linesman only seek the ref's attention ONLY after the goal is scored. You don't keep your flags down if a player is offside until a player scores.

Here we go we've got an actual ref on 606 now, he says the goal is perfectly fine. He's saying the linesman was just bringing his attention to the handball, and Clattenburg told him he was playing advantage. And the ref's saying it's all Gomes' fault.

sorry that makes no sense to someone who has an agenda....like our lovable gooner here.

irrelevant to the result really.

Spurs fans will love the whole situation to be fair. An extremely dodgy goal is now going to take away from the fact that they were outplayed in the game, and were deservedly beaten. My view is that it shouldn't have stood, but all it did was make the result look slightly more emphatic.

:lol: Funny stuff

I think Clattenberg is a berk of a referee, but he's not done anything wrong here, in fact he's handled the situation well. Nani arguably should have had a penalty... but he doesn't so we carry on. He falls on and handles the ball, the ref could give Spurs a free kick, but Gomes picks the ball up, so he lets play continue and doesn't award a free kick... so we carry on. Gomes inexcusably puts the ball down, and Nani obviously tucks it home for a legitimate goal

Gomes is the mug here, and we all know it, so do Spurs fans. I guess they just want a bit of righteous indignation

Why the feck would the linesman only seek the ref's attention ONLY after the goal is scored. You don't keep your flags down if a player is offside until a player scores.

I think the linesman has made the same assumption as Gomes that a freekick has been given, not sure how.

Why the feck didn't he flag when the handball actually took place is a better question.

Yes, but there clearly wasn't an advantage to be had. Gomes clearly believed that it was a free kick, after the hand-ball, and then decided to roll it out a bit to clear down field. It was impossible for Gomes to know that an advantage had been applied, given that Clattenburg did not signal that that was the case, by holding his arms out.

There was no fecking whistle. Simple.

The bent of ESPN was shockingly bias it has to be said

Think of the season Liverpool are having by the way... they appear of 4 of the next 5 live ESPN games as advertised at the start of the show!

Well personally whilst I dont blame Nani in the slightest, I also don't blame Gomez either. The handball was so blatant that I think everyone else on the pitch just naturally assumed that a free kick was warranted.

The linesman was looking directly at Nani and you could see from the replay that he saw clearly that Nani handled the ball.

As mentioned by Redknapp, even United players were assuming that a free kick had been given. Nani himself even looked over to try and figure out what was going on, so he himself wasnt sure. Neither did Gomez appear to know what was going on.

The linesman didnt flag at any point until after the spurs players had surrounded him. He then stuck his flag up. Whether the spurs players had said something that he felt justified the refs attention, or whether he then realised that he ( like everyone else ) was wrong in the assumption that the free kick had been given, so he decided to consult the ref and explain what was going on.

The decision on paper, was 100% correct. The ref hadnt blown, and if he's not seen the handball then he is 100% right to allow the goal. However the linesman clearly made a monumental feck up by just assuming the ref had awarded what clearly was a blatant free kick. His only justification could be that it was so obvious everyone barring Nani and Clattenberg just assumed it was a free kick.

The spurs players have a right to be aggrieved. It was a shocking piece of poor decision making, not by the referee but by the linesman who has to stand and hold his hand up and admit he didnt do his job properly.

Once that ball hitt he net Clattenberg could not reverse the decision and I think that is what he explained the the linesman. he could not retrospectively give a free kick to spurs because he hadnt himself seen it, and had thet linesman done his job properly then the ref could have changed the decision and he would in fact have been 100% right to.

Terrible goal, and doesnt do the game any justice, but that said, if the linesmen dont do their job properly then thats what is going to happen.

I think the linesman has made the same assumption as Gomes that a freekick has been given, not sure how.

Why the feck didn't he flag when the handball actually took place is a better question.

1. Like Rio said, if a free kick was given in Gomes' mind, why did he place the ball 10 yards away from the incident of Nani's handball?

2. I can buy Gomes' retardation but not the linesman's.

Yes, but there clearly wasn't an advantage to be had.
Only because Gomes proceeded to be a spastic.

If he'd ran forward and either threw or kicked the ball out then that is most certainly an advantage (both in distance and, more crucially seeing how it was 1-0 with a few minutes to go, time) over having a freekick on the deadball line.

Once the referee has allowed advantage to be played (which Gomes should have known by the lack of a whistle) he can't bring it back just because of stupidity.

It's like that time Webb gave us a penalty and we scored five times from it, I love refs when we play Spurs.

Not everyone is convinced he's actually a gooner.

He's on a constant Rafa/scouse love-in, and now he's outraged that poor little Spurs have lost a match.

Sound like the actions of a Gooner?

I love how you choose to read my posts selectively. I've already said Spurs deserved to lose the game, which they did. They were terrible. They won't finish anywhere near us this season in terms of points, so it doesn't really bother me.

You infect every single thread I post in with rubbish about how I'm a Liverpool supporter because I disagree with you. Just post about the topic.

I think Clattenberg is a berk of a referee, but he's not done anything wrong here, in fact he's handled the situation well. Nani arguably should have had a penalty... but he doesn't so we carry on. He falls on and handles the ball, the ref could give Spurs a free kick, but Gomes picks the ball up, so he lets play continue and doesn't award a free kick... so we carry on. Gomes inexcusably puts the ball down, and Nani obviously tucks it home for a legitimate goal

Gomes is the mug here, and we all know it, so do Spurs fans. I guess they just want a bit of righteous indignation

good analysis.

in any case Spurs were a well beaten side. No way were they going to get anything after the Scholes sub.

howard.jpg

the goalkeeper picked up the ball at the spot where the hand ball was so the game was able to carry on there was no need to stop it, the keeper then placed the ball down over 10 yards away from the incident. It was a keeper blunder nothing else. The wrong decision was not giving the penalty in the 1st place.

Well personally whilst I dont blame Nani in the slightest, I also don't blame Gomez either. The handball was so blatant that I think everyone else on the pitch just naturally assumed that a free kick was warranted.

The linesman was looking directly at Nani and you could see from the replay that he saw clearly that Nani handled the ball.

As mentioned by Redknapp, even United players were assuming that a free kick had been given. Nani himself even looked over to try and figure out what was going on, so he himself wasnt sure. Neither did Gomez appear to know what was going on.

The linesman didnt flag at any point until after the spurs players had surrounded him. He then stuck his flag up. Whether the spurs players had said something that he felt justified the refs attention, or whether he then realised that he ( like everyone else ) was wrong in the assumption that the free kick had been given, so he decided to consult the ref and explain what was going on.

The decision on paper, was 100% correct. The ref hadnt blown, and if he's not seen the handball then he is 100% right to allow the goal. However the linesman clearly made a monumental feck up by just assuming the ref had awarded what clearly was a blatant free kick. His only justification could be that it was so obvious everyone barring Nani and Clattenberg just assumed it was a free kick.

The spurs players have a right to be aggrieved. It was a shocking piece of poor decision making, not by the referee but by the linesman who has to stand and hold his hand up and admit he didnt do his job properly.

Once that ball hitt he net Clattenberg could not reverse the decision and I think that is what he explained the the linesman. he could not retrospectively give a free kick to spurs because he hadnt himself seen it, and had thet linesman done his job properly then the ref could have changed the decision and he would in fact have been 100% right to.

Terrible goal, and doesnt do the game any justice, but that said, if the linesmen dont do their job properly then thats what is going to happen.

Yes, that's pretty much it.

"When the Spurs keeper doesnt take the advantage, a freekick should be given".

Actually, Gomes brought the ball 15 yards forward before Nani touched it. He's taken the advantage he just given us a gift afterwards

Terrible goal, and doesnt do the game any justice

I was taught about age 4, play to the whistle

Gomes wants shooting

The refs can't win, the time they show 'common sense', they'll be battered by the pundits for not being 'consistent'. Clattenberg handled the situation precisely as he should have, he didn't stop play and award a freekick, so why should he rule the goal out?

I'd agree with the general view about poor sportsmanship, but it was a fecking penalty, so Spurs can get fecked, the amount of blatant penalties we don't get given is incredibly annoying.

Or the referee may have seen the handball, and decided to play advantage to Spurs. Hardly a big and hard decision seeing as Gomez had the ball in his hands.

It's like that time Webb gave us a penalty and we scored five times from it, I love refs when we play Spurs.

:cool: Agreed.

Is Green frothing on 606 about it like he did that day?

The very first call was all about how United have fixed the referees, and it just went on from there. A classic episode of that fantastic (if slightly racist) sports comedy show.

Well would you call a linesman's flag a recommendation if he put it up for an offside, for example? It's a recommendation, fine, if you want to use that word, but it's 99% of the time the final decision.

You're a bit confused mate.

The linesman's primary job (in general, not officially per se) is to flag when a player is offside. The referee doesn't focus on this. When the linesman flags the referee has no reason or evidence to go against their word. Sometimes they do though.

For offsides the linesman has the decision 99% of the time for that reason. I'd imagine it's nowhere near 90% for incidents in play.

"When the Spurs keeper doesnt take the advantage, a freekick should be given".

Actually, Gomes brought the ball 15 yards forward before Nani touched it. He's taken the advantage he just given us a gift afterwards

Exactly. If a player was fouled in the penalty box but a team-mate controls the ball and misses the goal by an inch, the referee can't award a penalty afterwards!

Same principles have rightly been applied in this situation.

Firstly it wasnt a legitimate goal.. Far from it. It should not have stood.

But the blame here lies with the linesman who made the monumental feck up of just assuming a free kick had been given and therefore didn't flag when Nani handled the ball. He just made the assumption Clattenberg had seen it and because it was so blatant no whistle was needed.

Gomez wasn't to blame. Even most of the United players had assumed it was a free kick. Just look at their body language. You even see Fletcher telling Nani to get up and track back.

I don't think you can blame Gomez for assuming it was free kick because everyone thought the same thing barring Clattenberg.

One thing however that people do forget is the quick thinking of Nani. He was the only person on that pitch who clocked on what was going on. No one else had.

Now whether you could argue a case for good sportsmanship and him admitting what he'd done, thats a different matter.

good analysis.

in any case Spurs were a well beaten side. No way were they going to get anything after the Scholes sub.

At 1-0 you never know to be fair, all it takes is one pumped ball falling right and they're level

But the mistake is at the hands of Gomes, not the ref. I think some people decided instantly they must be outraged by the decision, and now they've realised the facts, can't bring themselves to climb down

Even Keegan conceeded the ref got it right during his 'refs are so bias at OT' weekly speech, that should tell folk something

the ref did not blow the whistle. Linesmen have to go by the whistle too.

It wasn't legitimate though. You can correctly argue it should have been a penalty, but that isn't a definite goal. But Nani handles it on the ground, so by the letter of the law it was a free-kick, surely? Weird, and not legitimate. At least it didn't impact the result.

According to your logic, by the letter of the law, it was a foul by Kaboul, most probably a second yellow for his foul, and a penalty for us, surely?

But like the non-existent freekick, the referee didn't blow the whistle and it was a cheap goal for Gomes to give away, albeit one which was weirdly deserved. I won't be losing any sleep over it, but if VDS had made the same mistake, I would have been absolutely furious.

I'd agree with the general view about poor sportsmanship, but it was a fecking penalty, so Spurs can get fecked, the amount of blatant penalties we don't get given is incredibly annoying.

Its not poor sportsmanship at all. The reason? Because Nani looked over to the referee for confirmation that he could do it. The ref gave permission and he scored. Even the impartial referee was telling him to do it.

I was taught about age 4, play to the whistle

Gomes wants shooting

The refs can't win, the time they show 'common sense', they'll be battered by the pundits for not being 'consistent'. Clattenberg handled the situation precisely as he should have, he didn't stop play and award a freekick, so why should he rule the goal out?

Indeed, the panel on ESPN had a weird arguement they were all agreed it shouldn't have been given, but at the same time said it actually was perfectly within the laws of the game.

Firstly it wasnt a legitimate goal.. Far from it. It should not have stood.

But the blame here lies with the linesman who made the monumental feck up of just assuming a free kick had been given and therefore didn't flag when Nani handled the ball. He just made the assumption Clattenberg had seen it and because it was so blatant no whistle was needed.

Gomez wasn't to blame. Even most of the United players had assumed it was a free kick. Just look at their body language. You even see Fletcher telling Nani to get up and track back.

I don't think you can blame Gomez for assuming it was free kick because everyone thought the same thing barring Clattenberg.

One thing however that people do forget is the quick thinking of Nani. He was the only person on that pitch who clocked on what was going on. No one else had.

Now whether you could argue a case for good sportsmanship and him admitting what he'd done, thats a different matter.

The ref didn't award a free kick Fred

Nani clearly knew that

I suspect the fact Gomes tried to save it tells you at what point he realised he fecked up

Watched the video again, Scholesy was screaming at him to put it in the net. :)