The Nani Goal

Well you thoroughly deserved to win the game in any case, no doubt about that. The penalty could well have been given as well, but it's one of them where unfortunately for Nani his reputation has gone before him. So yeh, basically you can argue that United could well have had a goal from it anyway.

I just thought the goal was ridiculous. Once you rule it out, to actually overturn the decision was scandalous. Just give Spurs a free-kick and play on. Neither side would have complained about that.

Really now?

1. Nani goes down in the box. Penalty is not given.
2. Nani handles the ball - free-kick not given because GOMES HAS PICKED IT UP. THE BALL IS ACTIVE.
3. Gomes rolls the ball forwards, not for the free-kick, but just to kick it. The referee hasn't given a free-kick
4. Gomes has rolled the ball TO Nani, therefore HE has wasted the advantage.
5. Nani scores, legally.

The strangest thing about it is the way the linesman obviously thought it was a foul, and hence put his flag up. It's all very well saying play to the whistle, but the officials weren't all singing from the same hymn sheet. It's what more bitter supporters would call an Old Trafford decision.

You do realise that the guy in black in the middle is the referee and officially, those 2 running along the line are the referee's assistants and the referee has every right to overrule his assistants?

It's completely Gomes' fault for assuming there is a freekick when the referee didn't blow the whistle.

Shocking decision. Sickening to see that goal given, especially when the linesman rightly disallowed it. Clattenburg wasn't even looking. Disgrace of the highest order.

Keeper put the ball down for a free kick, therefore the ball WAS IN PLAY. Anyone can kick it then, be it a Spurs player as the keeper thought it would be, or a United player, as what happened. The keeper just made a mistake of not making sure there was a Spurs player ready to kick it.

Weird goal, but a fully legitimate one all the same.

Actually I think the ref. was right. Nani handed the ball, the linesman spotted it, the ref. didn't or did but gave the advantage for Tottenham .

The linesman was telling the ref. that Nani handed the ball, but since the ref. waved play on with Tottenham and Gomes already having the ball, he couldn't back from that decision I presume. It's like giving the advantage for the team only for this team to screw it up immediately.

Harsh for Tottenham and Gomes, but I think the goal stands according to the book.

The linesman spotted it but didn't think it was a decision worthy of having to raise his flag UNTIL Nani scored/Spurs players surrounded him.

Sure it was wrong of Clattenbrug not to give the freekick,
Why?

If you'd asked Spurs at that moment I'm sure they would've preferred to play on with Gomes being able to bring out the ball a good ten or so metres rather than having a freekick pretty much on the deadball line? If it'd been swapped around I'd be pissed if the ref made VDS play the ball from back there rather than quickly driving us forward.

It was purely and utterly Gomes fault for assuming it was a freekick (and then placing the ball 10 metres ahead of where it should've been anyway).

Shocking decision. Sickening to see that goal given, especially when the linesman rightly disallowed it. Clattenburg wasn't even looking. Disgrace of the highest order.

Ironic how, despite having seen the incident to the point where you feel you can call it shocking, you didn't see the bit where Clattenburg was facing the ball pretty much the entire time, even shrugging his shoulders when Nani was looking at him hovering over the ball.

I know the ABU's will be out in full force tomorrow (hell, they're already out) but instead of getting angry at them, I'm gonna laugh in their faces and enjoy this moment. 2-0! :lol:

Out of interest, how many of you would be happy if that goal was given against you? Honestly.

that be outrage about it no doubt but why did gomes delay his time in taking the goal-kick lol, love nani instinct to spot it. :lol:

Well you thoroughly deserved to win the game in any case, no doubt about that. The penalty could well have been given as well, but it's one of them where unfortunately for Nani his reputation has gone before him. So yeh, basically you can argue that United could well have had a goal from it anyway.

I just thought the goal was ridiculous. Once you rule it out, to actually overturn the decision was scandalous. Just give Spurs a free-kick and play on. Neither side would have complained about that.

Do please point out when exactly Clattenburg ruled it out? :confused:

Keeper put the ball down for a free kick, therefore the ball WAS IN PLAY. Anyone can kick it then, be it a Spurs player as the keeper thought it would be, or a United player, as what happened. The keeper just made a mistake of not making sure there was a Spurs player ready to kick it.

Weird goal, but a fully legitimate one all the same.

It wasn't legitimate though. You can correctly argue it should have been a penalty, but that isn't a definite goal. But Nani handles it on the ground, so by the letter of the law it was a free-kick, surely? Weird, and not legitimate. At least it didn't impact the result.

Out of interest, how many of you would be happy if that goal was given against you? Honestly.

What a stupid fecking question? How many people would like to get ass raped by king kong? Not many, it doesnt change the fact that Gomes is at fault.

Kegans going to explode

Woddle kept saying 'pelanty pelanty'...completely enraged and unable to spit his words out

Jon Champions a cnut

Who cares??? Most importantly, we have finally not thrown away a 2 goal lead!!! Serious reasons to rejoice and be thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what are you talking about?Most people would be slating vds and rightly so. If the ref don't indicate a freekick, it ain't one. It is not up to any player to act the ref. As it turns out, that linesman was a dickhead all game and could have cost united a goal when he failed to see the ball had gone out of play but no doubt you erased that from your memory...

The linesman spotted it but didn't think it was a decision worthy of having to raise his flag UNTIL Nani scored/Spurs players surrounded him.

True. It's like giving the advantage to a team which then go and screw it up. Whether the ref. go back to the earlier foul/handball or not is a question of timing

Waddle even went so far as to claim that Nani should have been booked for his dive, even though it was a blatant penalty.

Nani did not go down when Kaboul was pulling him down but when there was no contact, Nani went down. If that was not a penalty, then it is a dive.

and anayway, we werr 1-0 up with just a few minutes left. Spurs can feck off.

You clearly don't understand the rules of football - your lack of understanding is "scandalous", "ridiculous", and probably a "disgrace" even.

The linesman's flag is a recommendation, or a signal that he wishes to consult with the ref during a stoppage of play.

The goal was awarded by the referee who was looking straight at the incident, it was never taken away, so it was never reinstated as you're trying to pretend it was.

As for "neither side would have complained" about giving Spurs a free kick, I think you'll find we'd have a mighty huge reason to be cross. It was a stonewall penalty.

It was a bit unsporting from Nani methinks.

Yep, but still allowed.

There's plenty of moves in football that are unsporting, but still allowed. Taking the ball to the corner flag to waste time is unsporting but allowed and taking a quick free kick before the opposition are ready is unsporting but allowed.

It's more important to win.

Clattenburg failed to spot Nani's handball, therefore did not stop the play and hence did not whistle.

Gomes threw the ball and was about to take the free-kick, although Clattenburg, again, hadn't even blown his whistle.

More the linesman's fault not to wave his flag, after Nani touched the ball with his hands.

Do please point out when exactly Clattenburg ruled it out? :confused:

Linesman ruled it out. I get the fact that the referee can re-allow a goal, so to speak, but once the linesman had disallowed it, I took that to mean it wasn't a goal. It was by no means a fair goal.

Avatar has already fully explained why it was a goal. Ultimately it's the ref's/linesman fault for not giving a penalty in the first place and Gomes's fault for making stuff up in his mind. It was so very clear that the whistle was never blown so for him to put the ball down like that was absolutely ridiculous.

What the feck was the linesman disallowing it for? Why didn't the linesman put his flag up for the 10 seconds between the time Nani handled the ball and Nani kicking it in.

Thats the part i dont get, surely with the level of communication between the referees these days the lines man would signalled saying Nani touched the ball with his hand, ref in this case says play on and hes still waving his flag in the air (this is why Gomes thought it was a FK)

Nani did not go down when Kaboul was pulling him down but when there was no contact, Nani went down. If that was not a penalty, then it is a dive.

He was knocked off balance, tried to stay on his feet and then felt he couldnt.

Its a penalty but when you dont go straight down sometimes refs miss them. And then everyone complains when players make a meal of challenges to try and make sure they get the penalties - if the honest ones were given more often, the diving culture would cease.

It wasn't legitimate though. You can correctly argue it should have been a penalty, but that isn't a definite goal. But Nani handles it on the ground, so by the letter of the law it was a free-kick, surely? Weird, and not legitimate. At least it didn't impact the result.

Yes, it was a free kick. The keeper put it down for a free kick so it was in play. Any player, Spurs or United, could then kick it.