The Nani Goal

As far as I can tell, Nani decided to award himself a penalty, only for everyone to completely ignore him, then Gomes, undetered by Nani's failure, decided he'd award himself a freekick. Then Nani, in one of the most blatant acts of hipocrasy ever seen, decided to inform Gomes that only the referee was allowed to award decisions, by booting the ball into the net.

Meanwhile Clattenberg had presumably come to the conclusion that hauling someone down in the area isn't in any way against the rules, and that neither in fact is scooping the ball into your hand and picking it up when you're not a goalkeeper. Either that or he'd decided that Manchester United scoring a goal was somehow playing advantage in Tottenhams favour.

Summary
Nani - Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime
Gomes - Monger
Clattenberg - Mongerist

Linesman ruled it out. I get the fact that the referee can re-allow a goal, so to speak, but once the linesman had disallowed it, I took that to mean it wasn't a goal. It was by no means a fair goal.

You don't even understand the basic rules of football.

What a disgrace.

The ball was active. Gomes rolled it out to take a freekick he hadn't been given, so Nani kicked in the goal. Perfectly fair.

The funniest part is that the two ESPN commentators are gutted. Jon Champion said seven or eight times that the ref had a "get out" when he talked to his linesman, and didn't take it. Waddle even went so far as to claim that Nani should have been booked for his dive, even though it was a blatant penalty.

I think the commentators genuinely believe that a freekick had been given, that Gomes went to take it and Nani just walked up and kicked it in the net. The referee wasn't looking and therefore gave the goal even though his linesman has said it wasn't a goal. The fact that he actually spoke with his linesman means he must be deaf if that's the case - the linesman would have said "they didn't get a chance to take the freekick", he'd have booked Nani and play would have moved on. That he ignored the linesman suggests that it wasn't a freekick at all.

I couldn't fecking believe my ears..! Most bitter piece of commentary I've ever heard. Surprised they didn't blame us for Hitler.

You clearly don't understand the rules of football - your lack of understanding is "scandalous", "ridiculous", and probably a "disgrace" even.

The linesman's flag is a recommendation, or a signal that he wishes to consult with the ref during a stoppage of play.

The goal was awarded by the referee, it was never taken away, so it was never reinstated as you're trying to pretend it was.

As for "neither side would have complained" about giving Spurs a free kick, I think you'll find we'd have a mighty huge reason to be cross. It was a stonewall penalty.

I agree with you on the penalty thing - you'd have been pissed off about the penalty decision, sure.

The linesman's flag is not a recommendation by any means. It's far more than that. The officials are a team - for the referee to actually completely reverse the decision of the linesman doesn't happen very often. It was just such a bizarre decision given that the linesman clearly disagreed with Clattenburg.

Linesman ruled it out. I get the fact that the referee can re-allow a goal, so to speak, but once the linesman had disallowed it, I took that to mean it wasn't a goal. It was by no means a fair goal.

The linesman hasn't any authority what so ever. He's only there to aid the referee.

He was knocked off balance, tried to stay on his feet and then felt he couldnt.

Its a penalty but when you dont go straight down sometimes refs miss them. And then everyone complains when players make a meal of challenges to try and make sure they get the penalties - if the honest ones were given more often, the diving culture would cease.

It's again with punishing someone trying to still on his feet.

Linesman are not allowed to rule in or rule out anything. He is there is assist the referee who makes the decisions.

It wasn't legitimate though. You can correctly argue it should have been a penalty, but that isn't a definite goal. But Nani handles it on the ground, so by the letter of the law it was a free-kick, surely?
Not if the referee decides to play the advantage to Spurs. Considering Gomes had the ball in his hands and the handball was committed virtually on the dead ball line, I'd say that the biggest advantage to Spurs in that scenario is to let the keeper play on.

The referee can't change that decision if Gomes then stuffs up.

1. Nani goes down in the box. Penalty is not given.
2. Nani handles the ball - free-kick not given because GOMES HAS PICKED IT UP. THE BALL IS ACTIVE.
3. Gomes rolls the ball forwards, not for the free-kick, but just to kick it. The referee hasn't given a free-kick
4. Gomes has rolled the ball TO Nani, therefore HE has wasted the advantage.
5. Nani scores, legally.

That pretty well sums it up.

Mistakes made by Clattenburg but the whistle never went. It was a bigger mistake by Gomes who picked the ball up and rolled it forward assuming that he had a free kick.

I've been watching football for many years now, and I never seen anything like this.

Best comedy I've seen for weeks. Oh, and a legal goal, if somewhat unsporting. If I ever stopped laughing I may even care.

I agree with you on the penalty thing - you'd have been pissed off about the penalty decision, sure.

The linesman's flag is not a recommendation by any means. It's far more than that. The officials are a team - for the referee to actually completely reverse the decision of the linesman doesn't happen very often. It was just such a bizarre decision given that the linesman clearly disagreed with Clattenburg.

Why would it be fair for the linesman to reverse the decision of the referee but not for the ref to reverse the linesman decision?

So in Alastair's world: referee awards goal, but ASSISTANT referree overrules him and has final say.

As I've said, you don't even know the rules, which is a shocking disgrace.

Not if the referee decides to play the advantage to Spurs. Considering Gomes had the ball in his hands and the handball was committed virtually on the dead ball line, I'd say that the biggest advantage to Spurs in that scenario is to let the keeper play on.

The referee can't change that decision if Gomes then stuffs up.

Yes, but there clearly wasn't an advantage to be had. Gomes clearly believed that it was a free kick, after the hand-ball, and then decided to roll it out a bit to clear down field. It was impossible for Gomes to know that an advantage had been applied, given that Clattenburg did not signal that that was the case, by holding his arms out.

Reminds me of Solskjaer's goal

Not really comparable tbh, there's nothing even remotely controversial about Ole's goal, it's just that refs have now decided that kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand is now illegal. Even though it isnt.

I was furious about that at the time, but then Drogba got dominated by Bramble the next day, and Chelsea didn't win another time. Happy days.

You took some flak when you first got promoted but I thought you were a decent poster.

I'm a spastic.

If the linesman's flag isn't a recommendation, what is it? Oh right, almost by the very definition of the word it's a recommendation. Sweet Lord.

Shocking decision. Sickening to see that goal given, especially when the linesman rightly disallowed it. Clattenburg wasn't even looking. Disgrace of the highest order.

Don't think much of it. You don't have to wait beyond next game when we'll be seeing a thread about a horrifying decision against United as evidence that the FA don't want United to win.:lol:

So in Alastair's world: referee awards goal, but ASSISTANT referree overrules him and has final say.

As I've said, you don't even know the rules, which is a shocking disgrace.

As I say, the officials are a team. For the linesman to be adamant about disallowing it, only for the ref to consult him, and then give it, is strange to say the least.

:lol:

Such lack of understanding.

Rio's take from Twitter:

Handball but the Ref didn't blow so how can it be a free kick?? If its a free kick why did Gomez put the ball 10yards away from incident??

Oh shit me, Clattenburg is now being called a cheat and being told to be investigated because he's looked after a lot of 0-0's.

All because his famous incompetence/asshattery actually resulted in something favourable for United for once.

Stevie "Givvusapen" Gee won't be happy.

I did not realise the linesman had a whistle too.

learn about the rules before you make a fool of yourself.

The referee did not reverse the decision of the linesman. That's the mistake you are making.

The linesman either thought that the referee had given a freekick, or (more likely considering how late he put the flag up) thought the referee may have given a freekick. When the ref went over and consulted him about what the flag was for, he informed the linesman that he hadn't actually given a freekick so (rightfully) awarded the goal.

Here we go we've got an actual ref on 606 now, he says the goal is perfectly fine. He's saying the linesman was just bringing his attention to the handball, and Clattenburg told him he was playing advantage. And the ref's saying it's all Gomes' fault.

You took some flak when you first got promoted but I thought you were a decent poster.

I'm a spastic.

If the linesman's flag isn't a recommendation, what is it? Oh right, almost by the very definition of the word it's a recommendation. Sweet Lord.

Well would you call a linesman's flag a recommendation if he put it up for an offside, for example? It's a recommendation, fine, if you want to use that word, but it's 99% of the time the final decision.

As I say, the officials are a team. For the linesman to be adamant about disallowing it, only for the ref to consult him, and then give it, is strange to say the least.

The referee is at the top of the hierarchy, he will defer decisions when he feels it justified. In this case, the linesman was out of place to challenge and so the decision was upheld. The goal was never not given. It was never re-allowed since it was never disallowed in the first place.

I just desperately wish it had been a winner, laughing at Spurs is great fun, can't wait til that Glaston lad shows up.

Well would you call a linesman's flag a recommendation if he put it up for an offside, for example? It's a recommendation, fine, if you want to use that word, but it's 99% of the time the final decision.

That's the linesman's job. To run along the side of the pitch and call offsides, he's not a referee. He can give opinions and input, that's it.

Not really comparable tbh, there's nothing even remotely controversial about Ole's goal, it's just that refs have now decided that kicking the ball out of the keeper's hand is now illegal. Even though it isnt.

I was furious about that at the time, but then Drogba got dominated by Bramble the next day, and Chelsea didn't win another time. Happy days.

Yes I wasn't comparing, Nani's goal just reminded me of it thats all