The MMA thread

GYXDJzbXAAAjPa9

Get the feeling we might not see that ref in the UFC again after that one, at least not until he shows a greater understanding of his role in there.

Get the feeling we might not see that ref in the UFC again after that one, at least not until he shows a greater understanding of his role in there.

Well, if his role was making sure Almeida wins the fight, he did his a pretty good job :lol:

Yeah that guy is a goner for sure.

:( would've liked to see Wonderboy take that one but credit to Buckley, he never stopped committing to those shots and pressure despite Thompson picking him off at times.

controversial opinion time:

Apart from maybe 3-4 fighters, Womans MMA is absolutely dogshit.

The talent depth just isn't there. Pennington just threw quintuple jab "combo" and it just wasn't punished whatsoever.

controversial opinion time:

Apart from maybe 3-4 fighters, Womans MMA is absolutely dogshit.

The talent depth just isn't there. Pennington just threw quintuple jab "combo" and it just wasn't punished whatsoever.
This championship fight was awful technically

This championship fight was awful technically

Pena who is meant to be a ground game person literally didn’t even put her head in the correct positions whilst in side control. She kept giving Pennington space to scramble only… Penningtons bjj was even worse, never fought for an undertook therefore kept getting her back taken when she did scramble.

God I’ve rolled with two stripe white belts with better BJJ

Pena who is meant to be a ground game person literally didn’t even put her head in the correct positions whilst in side control. She kept giving Pennington space to scramble only… Penningtons bjj was even worse, never fought for an undertook therefore kept getting her back taken when she did scramble.

God I’ve rolled with two stripe white belts with better BJJ
Yeah Nunes looking at that and thinking easy money.

I don’t understand why the hell anyone chooses to stand and bang with a champion kick-boxer who has grappled for less than 3 years of his life.

Conclusion from this is Pereira shouldn't go up; he'll get hurt bad vs Aspinall.

Been watching his training leading up to this fight and he's had some serious sparring with HW's of a decent pedigree and although he does well, he gets caught too many times between, around and over his guard and he doesn't take his head off the centre line behind the lowered hands, plus his chin is up in the air. Roundtree caught him a fair amount of times, but he doesn't have the power to rock him, but Aspinall is faster and much heavier handed than Roundtree, those same shots from him finish the fight, plus Aspinall will follow up his shots with grappling.

Pereira to stay where he is or drop down, but up is not going to be good for him.

Good fight but dumb of Roundtree to not even attempt to grapple.

Not really, that's just not his game. Why try and do something you're not comfortable with?

People still for some reason seem to think that Pereira is so bad at grappling that literally anybody in the UFC should just take him down and automatically be able to beat him. The Jan Blachowicz fight proved it's not that easy, and whilst he's not a great grappler either he's much better at it than Rountree. Plus Pereira has continued to work with Glover Teixeira and undoubtedly is getting better and better every camp in that area.

Rountree absolutely has the tools to beat Pereira on the feet and it showed to be honest; he fought a great fight and I was super impressed with his footwork and precision with the hands the first couple of rounds. Was a close fight up until around the midway point of the 3rd round, he just started to slow considering his build, his explosive style and the pacing of his first 5 round fight and Pereira showed his class and experience.

Conclusion from this is Pereira shouldn't go up; he'll get hurt bad vs Aspinall.

Been watching his training leading up to this fight and he's had some serious sparring with HW's of a decent pedigree and although he does well, he gets caught too many times between, around and over his guard and he doesn't take his head off the centre line behind the lowered hands, plus his chin is up in the air. Roundtree caught him a fair amount of times, but he doesn't have the power to rock him, but Aspinall is faster and much heavier handed than Roundtree, those same shots from him finish the fight, plus Aspinall will follow up his shots with grappling.

Pereira to stay where he is or drop down, but up is not going to be good for him.

Agreed although him vs Bones would be a true super fight at this point from a business perspective.

But you're right in that he's hittable and the power dynamic is going to change drastically if he's fighting somebody 30lbs+ bigger than him, both in terms of his ability to take shots and hurt his opponent.

Plus Tom specifically as we know can really grapple and has the speed of 205'er on the feet, so it's really a horrible style match-up all-round for Poatan.

Agreed although him vs Bones would be a true super fight at this point from a business perspective.

But you're right in that he's hittable and the power dynamic is going to change drastically if he's fighting somebody 30lbs+ bigger than him, both in terms of his ability to take shots and hurt his opponent.

Plus Tom specifically as we know can really grapple and has the speed of 205'er on the feet, so it's really a horrible style match-up all-round for Poatan.

Bones would crush him, it would be a gimmick fight.

Izzy managed to take him down twice, and two years of grappling training with top level black belts and wrestlers isn't enough to overcome a 20+ year grappling disparity.

Rewatched and I agree with you - I just think the allure of being a triple champ is too tempting. He’s what, 37? Why feck about at LHW when there’s nothing more to be gained.

Ultimately I think Tom stands and trades for a minute then takes him down and fecks him up, but the reality is that when you’ve got those hands of stone, you’ve always got a chance

Izzy managed to take him down twice, and two years of grappling training with top level black belts and wrestlers isn't enough to overcome a 20+ year grappling disparity.

Not seeing that at all. This isn’t prime Jones, it’s a Jones that is sensible enough to make a few big pay days while probably avoiding quite a few of the seriously dangerous challengers. I don’t see a world where Jones would crush Peirera in current times. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see Peirera finish him.

Not seeing that at all. This isn’t prime Jones, it’s a Jones that is sensible enough to make a few big pay days while probably avoiding quite a few of the seriously dangerous challengers. I don’t see a world where Jones would crush Peirera in current times. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised to see Peirera finish him.

It doesn't matter.

A motivated Jones takes down who he wants, whenever he wants.

Cyril Gane is younger, spent longer training grappling than Alex and also much bigger, stronger and heavier. Jones went 1/1 with him on takedowns and submitted in after 1 minute on the floor. I do not see how Periera survives this any better. Izzy Adesanya took down Periera at will, and Izzy is a horrible wrestler and is also a small (weight wise) MW compared to Alex (Izzy had to bulk up just to meet 205 and Alex cut from 230). I just do not see how Alex avoids this.

As for getting finished, sorry but:

This is cope. Because Jones is such a cnut people want to see him get finished, and I too would like to see him gazing at the sky dazed. But it just isn't going to happen.

I've seen the guy take flush overhand rights from D.C, uppercuts to the chin by Glover, combo's by prime TRTor, eat 100 punches from Gus and not even flinch. Nobody has even rocked him in his entire MMA career. Alex Periera, a big MW who bulked to LHW, who despite having heavy hands, is not going to be able to do what actual HW's cannot do.

The only real chance of Alex winning this is if Jones gets arrested for beating up his fiance again and the fight gets cancelled and Jones gets jailed and has to vacate.

I think people hate Jones and want him to lose and add that to the lacklustre performances against Reyes and Smith and suddenly people think Pereira can beat Jones.

Jones steps up to the occasion, it seems to motivate him. A guy that easily handled DC twice and Gane like Gane was having his first ever fight... Yeah that dude ain't getting finished by Pereira.

I think people hate Jones and want him to lose and add that to the lacklustre performances against Reyes and Alves and suddenly people think Pereira can beat Jones.

Jones steps up to the occasion, it seems to motivate him. A guy that easily handled DC twice and Gane like Gane was having his first ever fight... Yeah that dude ain't getting finished by Pereira.

Yeah people forget that Jones quite literally outwrestled an Olympian Medalist Heavweight Wrestler with "ease", taking him down 4 times.

A guy with no formalized Wrestling training is going to get crushed.

I've done BJJ for years and years and when I went to live permanently in London, we had a few American D2 wrestlers. They were blue belts, and on paper my technical abilities should be much higher than theirs.

Rolling with them was horrendous, they could take me down at will despite training TDD and wrestling since I was 15.

Them American collegiate Freestyle/Greco-Roman Wrestlers are an absolute other breed.

Rewatched and I agree with you - I just think the allure of being a triple champ is too tempting. He’s what, 37? Why feck about at LHW when there’s nothing more to be gained.

Ultimately I think Tom stands and trades for a minute then takes him down and fecks him up, but the reality is that when you’ve got those hands of stone, you’ve always got a chance

This is one of the spars:

It can be argued he’s holding back etc. but the overarching point is that he gets caught far too many times, just like with Roundtree, and not only that, in pursuit of causing damage and being on the front foot, his weight distribution and lead leg are nearly always desirable for a good/great grappler to shoot for the single or nail him square on, which Aspinall would do within a minute, I think, and depending on Jones’ ego and level of respect, he’d do at the first available instance.

Aspinall starts extremely quickly; runs and guns because doesn’t fear the clinch and tying up, plus backs his hands, and his core strength is ridiculous. By contrast, Pereira’s power is in his hands and torque, but he doesn’t look overly strong in the clinch even at LHW, so it’s a non-option at HW. His hands are always at rib height and he tries to parry, which he isn’t great at and actually contradicts his stance, but when you’re the hunter and the one with bombs for hands, it doesn’t really matter, but at HW against the aforementioned, it’s a form of sabotage because of what’s coming back at you, plus not having stellar reflexes or parries/defence; I can even envision Aspinall hitting him through the parry because his head is Pimblett levels of high behind it, with Aspinall blasting straight through the defensive motion.

Jones is different and it’d most likely a timed entry once that lead leg opens up. I don’t see a way for Pereira to get in on Jones without dire consequences. That kickboxing stance is extremely risky at this level with no grappling ability backing it up. Gane is much quicker and fleet of foot yet he was easily ensnared; Pereira has to have power that Aspinall and Jones fear to have them not take advantage of what is lax positioning versus elite wrestlers.

The one caveat with Jones is his penchant and sheer arrogance to fight opponents in their own style just because he can. That’s the one way I could see him come a cropper, but I don’t think old man Jones, at HW, has the same compulsion and hubristic tendencies, but who knows?

This is one of the spars:

It can be argued he’s holding back etc. but the overarching point is that he gets caught far too many times, just like with Roundtree, and not only that, in pursuit of causing damage and being on the front foot, his weight distribution and lead leg are nearly always desirable for a good/great grappler to shoot for the single or nail him square on, which Aspinall would do within a minute, I think, and depending on Jones’ ego and level of respect, he’d do at the first available instance.

Aspinall starts extremely quickly; runs and guns because doesn’t fear the clinch and tying up, plus backs his hands, and his core strength is ridiculous. By contrast, Pereira’s power is in his hands and torque, but he doesn’t look overly strong in the clinch even at LHW, so it’s a non-option at HW. His hands are always at rib height and he tries to parry, which he isn’t great at and actually contradicts his stance, but when you’re the hunter and the one with bombs for hands, it doesn’t really matter, but at HW against the aforementioned, it’s a form of sabotage because of what’s coming back at you, plus not having stellar reflexes or parries/defence; I can even envision Aspinall hitting him through the parry because his head is Pimblett levels of high behind it, with Aspinall blasting straight through the defensive motion.

Jones is different and it’d most likely a timed entry once that lead leg opens up. I don’t see a way for Pereira to get in on Jones without dire consequences. That kickboxing stance is extremely risky at this level with no grappling ability backing it up. Gane is much quicker and fleet of foot yet he was easily ensnared; Pereira has to have power that Aspinall and Jones fear to have them not take advantage of what is lax positioning versus elite wrestlers.

The one caveat with Jones is his penchant and sheer arrogance to fight opponents in their own style just because he can. That’s the one way I could see him come a cropper, but I don’t think old man Jones, at HW, has the same compulsion and hubristic tendencies, but who knows?

That's what made him the $$$ to be fair:

Him wildly trading with Glover in the pocket/clinch against the fence was a mental gameplan but hey it worked.

But that's his #2 downfall:

His likely path of defeat is cocaine, hookers, the police, court, cars, and domestic battery.

That's what made him the $$$ to be fair:

Him wildly trading with Glover in the pocket/clinch against the fence was a mental gameplan but hey it worked.

But that's his #2 downfall:

His likely path of defeat is cocaine, hookers, the police, court, cars, and domestic battery.
I think he’s much more cautious at HW, but my feeling is it’s age rather than respect for the opponent. He’s avoiding Aspinall, for example, where in the past he would have taken him on no bother.

Think Jones wants an uncomplicated exit with maybe 2 more fights - he’ll jump at Pereira post-Stipe, imo and leave Aspinall in the cold.

Looks like the above spar is in 16 oz boxing gloves. If he fought Jones, their stand up games with 4oz UFC gloves would be comparable imo, especially given Jones' background. Unfortunately for Alex, once Jon takes him down, he will be out of luck, especially with all that heavyweight weight sitting on top of him.

Looks like the above spar is in 16 oz boxing gloves. If he fought Jones, their stand up games with 4oz UFC gloves would be comparable imo, especially given Jones' background. Unfortunately for Alex, once Jon takes him down, he will be out of luck, especially with all that heavyweight weight sitting on top of him.

Not to mention Jones will be the first person he has fought with a significant reach disadvantage. Especially with the kicks. Jones teeps you and headkicks you from fecking across the cage.

I remember this from the Shogun fight and laughed out loud.

image.png

It doesn't matter.

A motivated Jones takes down who he wants, whenever he wants.

Cyril Gane is younger, spent longer training grappling than Alex and also much bigger, stronger and heavier. Jones went 1/1 with him on takedowns and submitted in after 1 minute on the floor. I do not see how Periera survives this any better. Izzy Adesanya took down Periera at will, and Izzy is a horrible wrestler and is also a small (weight wise) MW compared to Alex (Izzy had to bulk up just to meet 205 and Alex cut from 230). I just do not see how Alex avoids this.

As for getting finished, sorry but:

This is cope. Because Jones is such a cnut people want to see him get finished, and I too would like to see him gazing at the sky dazed. But it just isn't going to happen.

I've seen the guy take flush overhand rights from D.C, uppercuts to the chin by Glover, combo's by prime TRTor, eat 100 punches from Gus and not even flinch. Nobody has even rocked him in his entire MMA career. Alex Periera, a big MW who bulked to LHW, who despite having heavy hands, is not going to be able to do what actual HW's cannot do.

The only real chance of Alex winning this is if Jones gets arrested for beating up his fiance again and the fight gets cancelled and Jones gets jailed and has to vacate.

Nothing to do with hate, even though he’s clearly cheated numerous times throughout his career with PEDs and is a scumbag, I can seperate that from his talent.

Jones has had one fight in not far off 5 years. Like I said, prime Jones? It’s a different discussion. Current Jones? No, I don’t believe it. It was discussed that the possible change off of PEDs led to his poor performances against Santos and Reyes, two fights he likely should have lost at the time let’s not forget, two fighters who weren’t as good as Peirera imo. Came back with a very good win against Gane, no doubt.

With Ngannou gone I don’t really see what’s left for him after Stipe other than possibly Peirera to try to retire as double champ. I don’t ever see him fighting Aspinall, see him avoiding that fight at all costs.