The MMA thread

I know its the rules but id ont think ive actually seen a verbal tap in the UFC, except maybe very early days

"A scream is a verbal tap". Grim, but probably necessary.
Yeah its one of the first rules i learned about submissions, and probably happens often in the lower circuits, but didnt expect to see it at the highest level. Then again there's been a few bush league moments already, like the younger Burns brother quitting on the ground...

Well, I’m now awake. Probably shouldn’t be, but feck it. Hoping to see Izzy get torched

This is tight, I think it’s 2-1 DDP but they’re such close rounds, could end up anything if it goes to the cards

Adesanya was getting knocked out if he wasn't submitted. At what stage are people going to give DDP the credit he deserves? He isn't elegant, but he is very fecking tough.
I've heard that Adesanya was finished after UFC 281 but then was back to his best at 287, and now after losing again is back to being finished.

Israel is an absolute legend, probably the best technical striker in history. Also I respect how he ventured into LHW against Jan and got ragdolled and had no complaints. Serious respect for him.

His ground game is non existent though and when faced against well rounded fighters I've always thought he was vulnerable.

Put him against strikers like Whittaker, Till, Pereira and he thrives.

Glad Adesanya lost. Build up to this fight he’s been an absolute prat. Made the whole thing unnecessary racial.

Glad Adesanya lost. Build up to this fight he’s been an absolute prat. Made the whole thing unnecessary racial.
I'm a massive fan of DDP, so happy he won and shut a few people up and also won me a bit of money tonight but his comments regarding being a true African, whilst not mentioning any names, and whilst technically correct, was intentionally provocative and he knew that.

I was so happy to see them embrace one another after the fight. Best part of the event.

Adesanya turned heel and exposed his back. Sigh.

Doesn't seem like his heart is in it anymore.

Looks old and fragile now. Never went for the kill even when plessis was tiring
Let’s be honest, he’s declined a lot. Strickland, DDP….these are guys he’d have made look like amateurs in his prime.

He should hang them up….no one wants to see him as a mid-card fighter. I don’t particularly like him but he’s without doubt a future HoF, he should leave without tarnishing his legacy

Let’s be honest, he’s declined a lot. Strickland, DDP….these are guys he’d have made look like amateurs in his prime.

He should hang them up….no one wants to see him as a mid-card fighter. I don’t particularly like him but he’s without doubt a future HoF, he should leave without tarnishing his legacy
He was doing well and chopping the tree down, but that instinct of his to literally turn away and retreat has probably cost him this fight because he was to hurt and tired to defend himself on the ground then. Would have been better to take those shots and have the threat of countering back than to blindside himself like that trying to get out of the line of fire.

But it’s an instinct, and tired mind will go to its default survival response, so maybe that’s how the fight was destined to end, with the shoulda coulda’s disregarded.

I'm a massive fan of DDP, so happy he won and shut a few people up and also won me a bit of money tonight but his comments regarding being a true African, whilst not mentioning any names, and whilst technically correct, was intentionally provocative and he knew that.

I was so happy to see them embrace one another after the fight. Best part of the event.

Provocative - yes, as it was clearly done to get under Adesanya’s nerves. Quite common in fight build ups. But Adesanya got away with a lot of things like implying DDP isn’t truly African, calling him a “pink pig” (imagine if DDP called him the equivalent description?) etc.

Also the whole thing of trying to erase the fact he had servants. I was a fan of Adesanya before he became champ, then he started to get annoying and then became dislikable. Him losing will hopefully be a big forkful of humble for him.

He was doing well and chopping the tree down, but that instinct of his to literally turn away and retreat has probably cost him this fight because he was to hurt and tired to defend himself on the ground then. Would have been better to take those shots and have the threat of countering back than to blindside himself like that trying to get out of the line of fire.

But it’s an instinct, and tired mind will go to its default survival response, so maybe that’s how the fight was destined to end, with the shoulda coulda’s disregarded.
He’s spent too long in his career outpointing people to decisions. It’s got him ill-prepared for this type of fight - a war where it’s last man standing wins.

Glad Israel lost. He is one of the cringiest athletes I have ever seen. Good to see the embrace afterwards but it'll be back to talking absolute tripe if they ever fight again.

Glad Israel lost. He is one of the cringiest athletes I have ever seen. Good to see the embrace afterwards but it'll be back to talking absolute tripe if they ever fight again.

What tripe has Izzy talked ? If you're referring to their face off after DDP beat Whitaker, that was brought on by a comment DDP made to Izzy (for which DDP has since apologized).

DDP looks seriously beatable....he was gassing. Those lunging jabs will get him ko'd one day.

The question is by who. He has now dispatched the entire top tier of the MW division consisting of Whitaker, Strickland, and Adesanya in successive fights. If those three couldn't beat him, then no one else will. He's also only just 30 and just entering into his prime fighting years.

What tripe has Izzy talked ? If you're referring to their face off after DDP beat Whitaker, that was brought on by a comment DDP made to Izzy (for which DDP has since apologized).

I didn't say just Izzy was talking tripe. The two them were. The whole of the build up was rubbish. Making it about race, Izzy crying like a baby. In general Izzy is pure cringe, the shit he comes out about nationalities, touching the dog's dick, wearing dog collars and nail varnish. Just cringe.

DDP looks seriously beatable....he was gassing. Those lunging jabs will get him ko'd one day.
I'd say it's quite the opposite; it took a lot out of Izzy to deplete him that much, and he was still getting peppered throughout the stand up to achieve it. Izzy, even in a clearly declining state is a highly skilled standup artist with the biggest shot selection in the division. Nobody else can tenderize an opponent like him. In this fight he worked the body and struck hard to the legs - the rest of the division are head hunters with a lot less range and savvy, in other words, they are going to be in much, much harder duels to achieve half of what Izzy did.

Du Plessis is a worthy champion, and for as long as his endurance and punch tolerance remains as high as it is, he's likely to stay atop the division because he'll always land twice as hard and as much as the remainder.

I didn't say just Izzy was talking tripe. The two them were. The whole of the build up was rubbish. Making it about race, Izzy crying like a baby. In general Izzy is pure cringe, the shit he comes out about nationalities, touching the dog's dick, wearing dog collars and nail varnish. Just cringe.

It was made about race when DDP, whether intentionally or not, suggested he was a "real" African champion. You can't as an Afrikaner white guy say that to a Nigerian dude and not have it be received as racially charged (being kind here). Therefore Izzy's reaction, however ill conceived in its delivery, was perfectly normal given the circumstances. Fortunately DDP has since apologized and clarified that he meant no offense.

Nail varnish is way down the list surely, does that really move the needle given the way he carries on otherwise?