The MMA thread

Tony Ferguson sets the all time record for consecutive losses with 8:lol: His decline has been shocking. Hardly looked competitive in any of the fights in the stretch, either.

Shara was good again. Umar held up well against Cory but didn't dominate him. It'll be interesting to see Umar vs O'Malley.

Brutal card tonight, only fight I'm kinda interested in is Gutierrez vs Le. Will probably still keep an eye on it in case there's some bangers but on the face of it it's gonna be an easy skip for most people and it feels like the number of cards like this have shot up in the last year or so.

Brutal card tonight, only fight I'm kinda interested in is Gutierrez vs Le. Will probably still keep an eye on it in case there's some bangers but on the face of it it's gonna be an easy skip for most people and it feels like the number of cards like this have shot up in the last year or so.
Not @George Owen :lol:

You know it :lol::lol:

1.45 hours to the prelims.

GUoat92a8AAQqYE

Wanted to discuss weight cutting and massive weight gain in MMA

Rumble cutting down to WW, Anthony Smith used to be a middleweight.

Paddy Pimblett gaining so much weight after fights (Or Gastelum always missing the WW limit)

There are other examples but what is better or worse for the body of an athlete, cutting weight or putting on the pounds ?

It appears that few fighters fight at their natural weight.

Paddy Pimblett gaining so much weight after fights (Or Gastelum always missing the WW limit)

There are other examples but what is better or worse for the body of an athlete, cutting weight or putting on the pounds ?

This is very normal across all combat sports though? Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling is even more brutal.

This is very normal across all combat sports though? Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling is even more brutal.

Yeah. I'm hoping to understand how weight cutting can help improve performance or how it can destroy it and even have lasting impacts on the body.

I know probably no one here is a doctor or scientist though.

One championship makes fighters fight close to their natural weight but in most other organizations it's the norm to cut weight. Technically the lower your weight class is the more your physical advantages will shine but the process is still traumatic for your body.

My buddy who I used to do football coaching with was a keen boxer when he was younger and his lad started boxing a few years ago when he was probably 12-13 years old. This boxing gym do things properly, get their fighters carded and into amateur fights. They put on decent nights and have amateurs coming from different gyms all around the country.

Anyway, lad started his amateur fights and he was always a small lad, more meat on a chicken nugget type. His coach wanted him fighting at 40kgs…..which was a few kilos under his actual weight. So they had a 13ish year old boy, who was always a skinny lad, doing a water cut before fights. My mate was comfortable with it but I think thats a bit much personally, the body’s still growing at that age and it just didn’t seem right to me.

This was personal opinion of course and entirely up to the lad and his parents what they did. Thought it was an interesting example though

Yeah. I'm hoping to understand how weight cutting can help improve performance or how it can destroy it and even have lasting impacts on the body.

I know probably no one here is a doctor or scientist though.

I used to do BJJ when I was serving and we had intra-unit competitions.

Grappling with a 75kg man when you're 70kg makes a HUGE difference.

My buddy who I used to do football coaching with was a keen boxer when he was younger and his lad started boxing a few years ago when he was probably 12-13 years old. This boxing gym do things properly, get their fighters carded and into amateur fights. They put on decent nights and have amateurs coming from different gyms all around the country.

Anyway, lad started his amateur fights and he was always a small lad, more meat on a chicken nugget type. His coach wanted him fighting at 40kgs…..which was a few kilos under his actual weight. So they had a 13ish year old boy, who was always a skinny lad, doing a water cut before fights. My mate was comfortable with it but I think thats a bit much personally, the body’s still growing at that age and it just didn’t seem right to me.

This was personal opinion of course and entirely up to the lad and his parents what they did. Thought it was an interesting example though

Yeah definitely an interesting example. There is no ''academy'' in mma or boxing, kids can't ''play'' it in the streets so I guess the gyms do all the learning process.

Frankie Edgar is also interesting because he fought most of his career way above his natural weight and had quite some degree of sucess.

Fighting that long at LW/FW didn't seem to affect his weight cut to BW but performances were not the same even though he was at the correct weight class.

One championship makes fighters fight close to their natural weight but in most other organizations it's the norm to cut weight. Technically the lower your weight class is the more your physical advantages will shine but the process is still traumatic for your body.

Thinking Darren Till at WW... Really good for a while then got progressively worse.

I used to do BJJ when I was serving and we had intra-unit competitions.

Grappling with a 75kg man when you're 70kg makes a HUGE difference.

Sure. I've seen people calling for a 165 pounds division in UFC because some are too big for 155 and too small for 170. Like Dos Anjos.

Sure. I've seen people calling for a 165 pounds division in UFC because some are too big for 155 and too small for 170. Like Dos Anjos.

I think Rafael Dos Anjos' problem is not weight but his pre USADA and post USADA results :lol:

I think Rafael Dos Anjos' problem is not weight but his pre USADA and post USADA results :lol:

Maybe.

Unfortunately many brazilian fighters have problems with USADA.

When Silva got caught sadly his legacy got thrown into question.

Not sure about RDA but he was a beast before Eddie KO him and turned into somewhat of a gatekeeper.

Maybe.

Unfortunately many brazilian fighters have problems with USADA.

When Silva got caught sadly his legacy got thrown into question.

Not sure about RDA but he was a beast before Eddie KO him and turned into somewhat of a gatekeeper.

Look at the records of all the Blackzillians and Blackhouse gym pre and post USADA, it makes for hilarious reading.

TRTor, Bigfoot Silva, RDA, Renan Barao (huge one), Erik Silva etc etc

looking forward to the fights this weekend...Du Plessis and Adesanya is personal which will make it that much a better fight

Legacy fight for Adesanya, this. Lose, and a lot of what he’s built up will be in tatters.

Not at all. He's already an all time great with plenty of title defenses. He will be in Aldo territory with a loss albeit not as likable, where he can just float around having big fights with some top contenders and always be a couple fights away from a title shot.

Not at all. He's already an all time great with plenty of title defenses. He will be in Aldo territory with a loss albeit not as likable, where he can just float around having big fights with some top contenders and always be a couple fights away from a title shot.
Nope, this is the fight of his life, for what it stands for and the shame and disgrace if he loses, especially after putting that pressure of carrying Africa on his back that he’s made for himself.

This isn’t about the ability or quality of the opponent, but everything the fight stands for and represents; I think this would be the loss that would burn him the most of his entire fighting career.

If he loses this fight, he cannot call himself an African anymore. These are higher stakes than any championship :lol:

Really interesting to see how this weekend plays out.

From the interviews and snippets of training footage, Dricus seems incredibly up for it. He seems to be in perfect shape and really motivated. When he's saying nobody in the UFC has been working harder than him, it actually feels credible to me. His coach Morne Visser is a weird one too, they might have planned a couple of little things. They're definitely approaching this with a type of hunger as if it were the most important event in their lives.

Izzy on the other hand, I saw a fragment where he casually was explaining to a female fan how it's about getting his muscle memory back; he just didn't seem like he was very invested or like he was talking about an incredibly important event coming up. His coach didn't seem concvincing either when he tried to explain that being inactive for a longer period is actually was a good thing for Izzy this time around. Izzy was usually very active; when he wasn't active he apparantly liked to lay back, smoked some herb during off periods in the past, not sure if he's the type of guy who benefits from longer periods of inactivity.

Earlier on Izzy seemed emotionally invested because of the 'Africa conflict'. But right now in terms of intensity in this lead-up it feels like Dricus is going to eat Izzy alive...

Lead-ups to a fight can be very deceptive though. One bad night before the fight and everything can change. And you can never rule Izzy out, hate him or love him (and his fighting style), he's such an incredibly intelligent fighter who really only needs one small moment to make it happen. Definitely looking forward to it.

If he loses this fight, he cannot call himself an African anymore. These are higher stakes than any championship :lol:
In shit talk terms absolutely but like him or not his legendary status is cemented win or loss. A win for DDP and he will start a claim for legendary status as well.

How on gods name is Pereira defending the title against Khalil Rountree? Genuinely had to double take to see if it was fake when I saw it announced on Facebook.

How on gods name is Pereira defending the title against Khalil Rountree? Genuinely had to double take to see if it was fake when I saw it announced on Facebook.
Standard Dana. It will work for a little now, Poatan has enough star status to sell out PPV against some lesser ranked guys. I just wish they made the rankings much more simple and the champ had to fight the No2 (if they have not fought) and then drop to 3 etc. Feel like the Jones situation has made it too clear how Dana protects and helps those who make him the most money. Like how he now loves Belal because he’s got a huge Muslim following which means money in his pocket.

Standard Dana. It will work for a little now, Poatan has enough star status to sell out PPV against some lesser ranked guys. I just wish they made the rankings much more simple and the champ had to fight the No2 (if they have not fought) and then drop to 3 etc. Feel like the Jones situation has made it too clear how Dana protects and helps those who make him the most money. Like how he now loves Belal because he’s got a huge Muslim following which means money in his pocket.
Didn't Belal have to go through every UFC division, Bellator division, BKFC division and win the WWE Royal Rumble to finally get his title shot?

Eben Etzebeth & Siya Kolisi walking Dricus Du Plessis to the cage - that’s pretty sick

Dana definitely does not love Belal. :lol:

DDP must be the only fighter ever to make two opponents cry in back to back press conferences. That he did it to Strickland and Izzy makes it even more hilarious.

Dana definitely does not love Belal. :lol:

DDP must be the only fighter ever to make two opponents cry in back to back press conferences. That he did it to Strickland and Izzy makes it even more hilarious.
Have you seen his 180 since he saw the belt raise numbers? Literally loves instantly after slating him for years.

I really dislike both fighters in the main event, although I think I'd prefer DDP to win.

Hope Hooker and Bam Bam can get wins.