The MMA thread

Can’t help but think he’ll get beaten once he comes up against a similarly sized wrestler but for anyone who tries to stand with him, it’s goodnight.

He's already beaten Jan and Jiri is no slouch on the ground either. Someone like Jones will be a different beast but all this time training with Glover will have elevated his ground game as well.

He's already beaten Jan and Jiri is no slouch on the ground either. Someone like Jones will be a different beast but all this time training with Glover will have elevated his ground game as well.
Yeah so no wrestlers? Hopefully Ankalaev is next fight - think then we can see how good he is.

Yeah so no wrestlers? Hopefully Ankalaev is next fight - think then we can see how good he is.
I’m not sure it’s that simple. Jiri chewed up Anka’s legs, and Pereira has already shown he’s on another level when it comes to that. Plus Jiri has a ground game, and the fact that he didn’t even try to get him on the ground in comparison to their first, and considering it’s a rematch, should speak volumes about Alex’s ground game. The man spars on a daily basis with one of the greatest BJJ practitioners of all time, I know wrestling is a completely different discipline to prepare for but Glover was very good at getting his opponents to the ground.

I’m not sure it’s that simple. Jiri chewed up Anka’s legs, and Pereira has already shown he’s on another level when it comes to that. Plus Jiri has a ground game, and the fact that he didn’t even try to get him on the ground in comparison to their first, and considering it’s a rematch, should speak volumes about Alex’s ground game. The man spars on a daily basis with one of the greatest BJJ practitioners of all time, I know wrestling is a completely different discipline to prepare for but Glover was very good at getting his opponents to the ground.
Yeah it’s not like rock, paper, scissors it’s just he’s not faced anyone who has gone after him on the ground yet. Adesanya is the 1 truly elite fighter, in my opinion, he’s fought in UFC and he knocked him out/then got knocked out so is 1 for 2 with someone quite stylistically similar.

I know Ankalaev says he won’t use his wrestling and will stand, which would be fun but mental, but it does seem some of these guys have too big an ego to basically fight like Ian Garry and be sensible/boring. For example, Strickland tried to box Pereira, Hill wanted to prove he had better kickboxing, some of the game plans have been hilarious.

I like Pereira, I’m not sure about the move the HW as a lot of his advantages then are gone, but at this weight I think if he can beat Ankalaev he’s got a really rounded resume of wins.

Connor McGregor finally back in the W column with a pragmatic win against an always dangerous MVP.

Pereira though... :eek:

who's better.....jon jones or pereira
So long as Jones doesn't do his thing of trying to beat the opponent at their own style, nobody beats him.

If he tried to stand with Pereira, he'd be asleep inside 2 rounds. Same goes for Aspinall.

If either tackle him, Pereira won't last long.

I've only just watched the fights from 303 tonight after a mad busy time in work and I tried avoiding the results on social media but inevitably knew Pereira won.

The way he finished Jiri was absolutely brutal. That head kick was so casual yet well timed and powerful.

Why isn’t MMA an olympic sport? Only reason I can think of is due to the recovery time, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for boxing. Plus, I remember when Pride fighters used to fight multiple times in the same night! They could also make it 2 rounds instead of the usual 3 like they do on TUF.

Why isn’t MMA an olympic sport? Only reason I can think of is due to the recovery time, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for boxing. Plus, I remember when Pride fighters used to fight multiple times in the same night! They could also make it 2 rounds instead of the usual 3 like they do on TUF.

No global unified rule set as well.

GSZsLqHX0AA_CsQ

We are live!!

Hoping Belal does the job v Leon Edwards

Why would anyone want Belal to be champ? He's the most boring fighter in the UFC.

To be fair Leon isn't much better - this fight has 5 round stinker written all over it.

Last edited:
Good card tonight. Optimistically I'm going for Edwards, Aspinall and Paddy to all win.

I reckon King Green will probably piece up Paddy, he's hard to takedown and has much more accomplished striking than Paddy. Edwards should be too much for Belal, though I can feasibly see a win for Belal if he manages to really pressure and clinch a lot with Leon, pushing him against the cage and grinding out a decision. Blaydes has potential to be a tricky customer for Aspinall but I'll still go with Tom. Allen vs Chikadze could be an absolute banger, hopefully Allen can get back in the win column after 2 losses and if Mokeav vs Kape lives up to the build up then it should be a great scrap too.

Too bad I'll have to catch up on most of it tomorrow with the shitty start time they've decided on and I'll probably be switching my attention between the prelims and Uniteds game as well.