The MMA thread

I can't call this one. Who is the favourite?
Feels impossible to say! Islams ground game is special and i`m sure he will be able to take Volk down, but after seeing Ortega pull himself tired around his short, bull sized neck, i`m not sure if he will be able to make him tap either. Hopefully Volk can keep it standing, for most of the fight, it will be much more fun to watch.

can’t wait for it, love Volk but think that other guy will win, can’t remember his name, yeah

No hype for this weekend?

Hope Yair wins the co-main and think he will get it done. Think Islam will have too much for Volk in the main but really hope Volk can rock him at least once just to see what he's made of.

Hope Yair wins the co-main and think he will get it done. Think Islam will have too much for Volk in the main but really hope Volk can rock him at least once just to see what he's made of.
Very excited mate. Absolutely can't wait.

No idea why, but I’m backing Volk. Man has that dawg in him.

2nd round TKO.
I'd love for you to be right, I just think Islam will be too big for him. Saying that, Volk has shown how hard he is to submit so it could come down to the championship rounds and who has better conditioning.

No idea why, but I’m backing Volk. Man has that dawg in him.

2nd round TKO.

Save your money. Once Islam gets a grip of Volk it's game over. Aside from a hail mary strike for the Aussie, he's gonna get mauled and submitted quick once it hits the ground. I've lumped on Islam by stoppage. You should too.

Yair vs Emmett is fotn candidate. I'm with you in that I want Yair to get it done, but I think Emmett starches him.

Really hope Volk can dance and swing like never before. If Islam struggles to get close enough we might get a standing battle, that could be fight of the year. Kimura in the first few minutes would be boring.

Save your money. Once Islam gets a grip of Volk it's game over. Aside from a hail mary strike for the Aussie, he's gonna get mauled and submitted quick once it hits the ground. I've lumped on Islam by stoppage. You should too.

That's the best advice for sure, though personally I've put my money on a Volkanovski KO. Mostly because I'm rooting for Islam and the odds were so ridiculous they could take a bit of the sting away if there's an upset. Volk's a real one for taking this fight though, and if he somehow pulls it off you can't even call it a real surprise. Such a fantastic match up of two insanely talented and incredibly dedicated professionals fighting for pound for pound #1. This is the pinnacle of MMA.

Enthusiuasm from the people in Australia is fantastic to see as well, bringing the proper energy to such a high level fight. Just the vibe and beautiful nature in the embedded series and the crowd reactions at the press conference is enough to make you want to visit the place.

Last edited:
That's the best advice for sure, though personally I've put my money on a Volkanovski KO. Mostly because I'm rooting for Islam and the odds were so ridiculous they could take a bit of the sting away if there's an upset. Volk's a real one for taking this fight though, and if he somehow pulls it off you can't even call it a real surprise. Such a fantastic match up of two insanely talented and incredibly dedicated professionals fighting for pound for pound #1. This is the pinnacle of MMA.

Enthusiuasm from the people in Australia is fantastic to see as well, bringing the proper energy to such a high level fight. Just the vibe and beautiful nature in the embedded series and the crowd reactions at the press conference is enough to make you want to visit the place.

You're right. I have nothing but admiration for what Volk is trying to achieve. But i do believe it's a huge upset if he does somehow manage to pull it off. And the odds do reflect that.

The Australian fans are so enthusiastic. The pressers and the embedded series etc have been fantastic to watch. I'm not fussed who wins from a fan perspective. Although if Islam is successful I'd like to see him try for champ/champ himself maybe next year.

Islam had to fight to make the weight. Wonder how big the difference is gonna be when they fight.

Islam had to fight to make the weight. Wonder how big the difference is gonna be when they fight.

Volk said he expects to be around 172 max. I would imagine Islam will probably be close to 180. Could be a little less than uual as there's less time between the weigh-in + fight in Oz than the US/UAE.

I would say anywhere between 5-8lbs. Not huge I don't think, despite how different they look in size because of the height.

That rat looking chechen guy, Zubaira, missed weight again. How the feck that idiot still in the UFC? The guy not only sucks, but is unprofessional as feck. Moves a division up, still can't make weight...

The dagestanis/chechens have Dana by the balls. Who knows what they have on him...

Put my money where my mouth is. All in on Volk.

I've also gone Volk UD as part of an accy. The closer it gets I'm starting to think the weight/strength difference won't be so apparent, and Islam isn't going to be able to close the gap easily. The gap in striking should be very apparent, even if Islam is much taller and has good distance control.

I've also gone Volk UD as part of an accy. The closer it gets I'm starting to think the weight/strength difference won't be so apparent, and Islam isn't going to be able to close the gap easily. The gap in striking should be very apparent, even if Islam is much taller and has good distance control.
I hope so! Big win if he does!

I'd love Volk to do it but realistically he doesn't have a hope. I wished for so many to give Khabib a good fight and no one could, no matter how big the striking difference was (the one between Khabib and McGregor was much bigger than Islam vs Volk) no one could ever handle the Dagestani wrestling. I love Volk and think he's one of the best ever but I see Islam finishing this in the first 2 rounds by sub without much trouble at all. Arman might be the only one near his weight that I think could beat Islam but even then I doubt it.

Edit: also I know he's lost before but Islam is a much better fighter now.

Eventually MMA will figure out how to defend the Dagestani style but no one currently could, except maybe a prime GSP, Jones, Aldo or DJ. And then only maybe.

Decent first fight, main card is gonna be a bit late for me so hoping for some good prelims.

Zubaira lost 30-27 on one judges card :lol:

Decent first fight, main card is gonna be a bit late for me so hoping for some good prelims.

Zubaira lost 30-27 on one judges card :lol:

Insane scorecards. I mean, I'm happy the bum Zubaira lost, but he 100% won the second round.

Hopefully is not one of those nights judging wise...

Insane scorecards. I mean, I'm happy the bum Zubaira lost, but he 100% won the second round.

Hopefully is not one of those nights judging wise...
Might cost him his UFC career considering the issues he's had, might not be worth it anymore and that 30-27 will sting even more if that's the case.

Might cost him his UFC career considering the issues he's had, might not be worth it anymore and that 30-27 will sting even more if that's the case.

For sure, he is 100% getting cut now.

But could be a blessing in disguise for him. He is making 22k/22k at the UFC (Tonight he goes home with even less than 22k because he missed weight (20% of his purse fine), so he definitely is not living of it. Now he can go to eagle FC and maybe even make more money fighting other bums.

For sure, he is 100% getting cut now.

But could be a blessing in disguise for him. He is making 22k/22k at the UFC (Tonight he goes home with even less than 22k because he missed weight (20% of his purse fine), so he definitely is not living of it. Now he can go to eagle FC and maybe even make more money fighting other bums.
With Khabib stepping back from MMA you have to wonder what the future holds for that organisation, I'm sure they have wealthy backers but without the Khabib push it's gonna be tough for them.