The MMA thread

Wow, didn't see this coming. Jake Paul signs a deal with the PFL, apparently offered Nate Diaz a 2-fight deal - first to box and then MMA.

Don't normally like posting about him, but this seems like quite a big deal if he can help the PFL take-off. He may be many things but he legit can promote the feck out of anything and has a big following that will bring them a lot of eyeballs.

This could be great news for MMA if the PFL can reach a point where they provide legit competition to the UFC.

good for the sport

Nah, its a fecking joke.

This fecker (and his followers) don't belong in this sport. MMA don't need youtubers or celebrities to grow.

This talentless fecker (sportingwise) will take the place of actually deserving fighters. Another CM Punk...

feck me. I guess celebrity MMA is the future.

Nah, its a fecking joke.

This fecker (and his followers) don't belong in this sport. MMA don't need youtubers or celebrities to grow.

This talentless fecker (sportingwise) will take the place of actually deserving fighters. Another CM Punk...

I would argue it could be a good thing. After all, we haven't had a decent UFC event in nearly a month and its President has just been caught slap fighting with his wife.

Nah, its a fecking joke.

This talentless feck has just given Anderson Silva his biggest payday. He is now going to do the same with Nate. He's also raising the issue of fighter pay. I'll gladly suffer his fans if it means fighters can get retirement benefits

I would argue it could be a good thing. After all, we haven't had a decent UFC event in nearly a month and its President has just been caught slap fighting with his wife.

The worse UFC fight night is better than anything Jake Paul can bring to the table.

The only winner here is Jake Paul himself, grifter motherfecker. Everyone else, we all lose.

The worse UFC fight night is better than anything Jake Paul can bring to the table.

The only winner here is Jake Paul himself, grifter motherfecker. Everyone else, we all lose.

If the Woodley fight was anything to go by, he will KO Nate at Boxing (where Nate can't stockton slap his opponents then laugh at them). Nate will of course win the MMA match. Good money for both and entertainment for the neutrals. Nate's UFC careers is more of less over so no harm in him giving it a shot.

If the Woodley fight was anything to go by, he will KO Nate at Boxing (where Nate can't stockton slap his opponents then laugh at them). Nate will of course win the MMA match. Good money for both and entertainment for the neutrals. Nate's UFC careers is more of less over so no harm in him giving it a shot.

I have no problem with that. They can do that in their own celebrity promotion, but not within professional promotions. Let's don't mix them.

Would you be happy if whoever buys Manchester United, gave a contract to that idiot KSI to play the wing?

I have no problem with that. They can do that in their own celebrity promotion, but not within professional promotions. Let's don't mix them.

Would you be happy if whoever buys Manchester United, gave a contract to that idiot KSI to play the wing?

I don't think the UFC should be a part of it, but if Nate. wants to go to the PFL then that's on him. These are obviously publicity stunts, but so was Conor v Floyd, which ended up being pretty entertaining.

Nah, its a fecking joke.

I'm of course highly skeptical given it's Jake Paul, but honestly if he helps push the PFL in a big way that will be fantastic for the sport and the fighters. No competition to the UFC means the fighters will continue to get hamstrung and underpaid.

There's a long way to go before anybody can be a legit challenger to their monopoly, but we need to start somewhere.

Any UFC fight pass reccomendations ? Finally managed to get it.

It can be anything, I will appreciate your help if you want to.

I'm of course highly skeptical given it's Jake Paul, but honestly if he helps push the PFL in a big way that will be fantastic for the sport and the fighters. No competition to the UFC means the fighters will continue to get hamstrung and underpaid.

There's a long way to go before anybody can be a legit challenger to their monopoly, but we need to start somewhere.

The PFL has been doing great without the addition of celebrities, though. With their format (bracketed championship per division with 1 million dollar winner per season), they have brought many eyes and many UFC rejects/future prospects. They are comfortable the third biggest MMA promotion in the US, and on route to surpass Bellator (the word is they are for sale).

As for the bolded, I'm not sure is really such a good thing. Unless you want all the best fighters fighting in different promotions and not fighting each other, like boxing, we need that the UFC remain the top Dog (premier league), while the others remain a level or levels below (Championship, League One, etc). Much better for the fans to have high level fights week in week out, instead of waiting for some one in a year cross promotion event.

And as far as improving UFC fighters pay, it has been happening in gradual form the bigger the sport gets. Jake Paul is nowhere near the first to raise the voice on the issue (he is just profiting from it). With some decent level fighters like Shane Burgos jumping ship to PFL, the UFC will keep improving their purses to prevent this from happening more often.

Jiri vs Glover UFC 275

Lawler vs Macdonald 2 UFC 189

Shogun vs Henderson UFC 139

Zhang vs Joanna UFC 248

Jiri vs Glover UFC 275

Lawler vs Macdonald 2 UFC 189

Shogun vs Henderson UFC 139

Zhang vs Joanna UFC 248

Thank you! I did watch Jiri X Glover live so remember it well but the other ones will be a great help to start.

Macdonald in particular is one of my favorites.

Jones v Gustafsson (UFC 165)
Griffin v Bonnar 1
Lawler v Condit (UFC 195)
Gaethje v Michael Johnson (can't remember the event number)

Jones v Gustafsson (UFC 165)
Griffin v Bonnar 1
Lawler v Condit (UFC 195)
Gaethje v Michael Johnson (can't remember the event number)

Thank you aswell!

I just went through some Rumble welterweight fights, he had scary power even while cutting huge amounts of weight...

Thank you aswell!

I just went through some Rumble welterweight fights, he had scary power even while cutting huge amounts of weight...
No problem. But yeah that's Micheal not Rumble. It was Gaethje's welcome fight to UFC and boy did it not disappoint.

If it were to be weight cutting, you’d think it’d spark a huge debate.

Weight cutting policy in MMA is like arguing about gun control in the United States. Everything goes in roundabouts after a tragedy takes place, then people forget, then another tragedy happens, the same points are brought up, ad nauseum.

Weight cutting policy in MMA is like arguing about gun control in the United States. Everything goes in roundabouts after a tragedy takes place, then people forget, then another tragedy happens, the same points are brought up, ad nauseum.
:( You’re probably right. But we’ll have to wait and see if a cause of death is revealed and if it is anything to do with cutting weight to see where it goes.

You're spot on mate. I hate what they're doing to boxing and I totally disagree that it's good for the sport... how can unsportly fake BS fights be good for a sport? They're cashing in and there's plenty of morons that will pay unfortunately.

Dariush seems fed up with Dustin avoiding him. Not sure I agree that if someone refuses to fight contenders, they should retire, but the 3 ranksquatters he mentions (Poirier, Gaethje, and Chandler) should all go down the rankings if they're too afraid of taking on anyone else besides each other.

Dariush seems fed up with Dustin avoiding him. Not sure I agree that if someone refuses to fight contenders, they should retire, but the 3 ranksquatters he mentions (Poirier, Gaethje, and Chandler) should all go down the rankings if they're too afraid of taking on anyone else besides each other.

This is more on The UFC as an organization. If Dana stops being busy slapping his wife about and starts actually forcing these three to fight down the ranks then this problem will get sorted. He has to legally offer them three fights per year and he can easily offer Poirier to fight Dariush three times and if Poirier refuses, he will naturally go down the rank due to inactivity.

But at the same time, the three of these produce electric fights that spice up the card in any given PPV so Dana will just make them constantly fight each other, leaving guys like Dariush in the dust as he is not exactly a "performer" in terms of character.

Charles Olivera could be the ace in the hole as I feel he will beat the shit out of all these three and he does have some sort of following.

This is more on The UFC as an organization. If Dana stops being busy slapping his wife about and starts actually forcing these three to fight down the ranks then this problem will get sorted. He has to legally offer them three fights per year and he can easily offer Poirier to fight Dariush three times and if Poirier refuses, he will naturally go down the rank due to inactivity.

But at the same time, the three of these produce electric fights that spice up the card in any given PPV so Dana will just make them constantly fight each other, leaving guys like Dariush in the dust as he is not exactly a "performer" in terms of character.

Charles Olivera could be the ace in the hole as I feel he will beat the shit out of all these three and he does have some sort of following.

I agree. It's definitely on the UFC. Regarding Charles, he said he feels that he only needs one more right and that the next one will be a title shot this fall/winter.

So if nobody wants Dariush, and if Dariush feels he needs another fight to be given a shot, Charles is the fight to make. But its a risky one for both because each could lose and that's their shot gone.

Umar goes from dropping a hammer fist to cradling his opponents head in the space of about .5 seconds :lol:

I liked that, I wish more fighters showed this respect instead of pounding on their KOED heads.
It definitely shows the level of respect he has for his opponent, there was genuine concern there which is a kinda wild thing to consider when they were trying to beat the snot out of each other moments before so to see that switch so quickly isn't something you see too often.

It definitely shows the level of respect he has for his opponent, there was genuine concern there which is a kinda wild thing to consider when they were trying to beat the snot out of each other moments before so to see that switch so quickly isn't something you see too often.
That's the fight game, respect. Anyone who gets in the ring deserves it, no matter the trash talk. I wish we saw it more.