Television The Boys

It has lost its way, I still watch but never as soon as the episode is out.

The Boys is dead. The Bear is dead. They should do a crossover mash-up, where Homelander becomes the new sous chef at the Bear, or, conversely, Cousin becomes the newest member of the Seven. Both of these shows had some great scenes but saying they are treading water is being far too generous.

The Boys is dead. The Bear is dead. They should do a crossover mash-up, where Homelander becomes the new sous chef at the Bear, or, conversely, Cousin becomes the newest member of the Seven. Both of these shows had some great scenes but saying they are treading water is being far too generous.

Bit much. I’ve not finished S3 of the bear yet but it’s been decent even if it hasn’t hit the lofty heights of S2. Far too soon to write either off really.

Bit much. I’ve not finished S3 of the bear yet but it’s been decent even if it hasn’t hit the lofty heights of S2. Far too soon to write either off really.
S02 E06, the Christmas dinner episode, was so unbelievably shit that I turned it off before it finished. The writing is awful. The directing is awful. The improvisational everybody-talk-at-once style they like to use is cliched and tired as feck. If this were some under the radar show, it wouldn't be so jarring when the reality doesn't match the hype.

S02 E06, the Christmas dinner episode, was so unbelievably shit that I turned it off before it finished. The writing is awful. The directing is awful. The improvisational everybody-talk-at-once style they like to use is cliched and tired as feck. If this were some under the radar show, it wouldn't be so jarring when the reality doesn't match the hype.

Just not for you then I guess.

It’s weird that this episode seems to have been the tipping point for a lot of people regarding how much it’s spinning it’s wheels, when it’s been spinning them for the last 2 seasons and there've been far more prominent examples of it than this, which did at least move the story on a bit…

I think Kripke just misjudged the whole ‘5 seasons’ thing because it worked on Supernatural (or at least his version of it) despite the fact that a show like that had an episodic structure and a seasonal arc as well as a series one, and this doesn’t really have either of those things.

They’ve tried the latter with Stormfront and Soldier boy, but Homelander still got way more screen time than then, because It’s been a show about killing Homelander since the first episode really and being unable to do that until the end of the 5th season with nothing but little variations on that theme inevitably means a whole lot of wheel spinning just baked in…

But at the same time I don’t think Amazon would’ve commissioned a pitch that said “we need to end this at 3 seasons” in the first place. They’d cancel it after 3 sure, but they’d always want the assurance it can keep going (and the creator of Supernatural, would know that more than most!) so that’s just kinda how it is. They probably should’ve taken some wild swings with Homelander - like de-powering him for a season, or making Butcher the big bad I think someone here suggested too. But they didn’t so you’re kinda either in or out at this point. And if you’re out, I think it’s probably safe to say you can clock out and then in again for the last couple eps of season 5 and pretty much be able to pick it up quite comfortably.

It’s just a case of how many willies you wanna see from now until then.

Anyway, Anthony Starr did the whole milk reaction bit amazingly :lol:

Last edited:
"When Richie finally turns his life around in The Bear season 2 and finds his true purpose in the service industry after briefly working at Chef Terry's restaurant, Taylor Swift's "Love Story" also becomes the soundtrack of his life." :) agreed

Last couple of episodes are pure shite. End of GoT level shite. S1 was legitimately last time this was good.

We were going to wait until this was finished before starting but we gave up waiting and finished episode 4 last night.

Now that my missus has watched Supernatural I have to endure "Oh, that's Bobby from Supernatural! And "Oh, that's God from Supernatural!" Which is also off-putting to me because;

A) Bobby Singer in The Boys is called Bobby Singer in Supernatural
B) God likes to rim himself and hangs dong

Enjoying the season so far. That's all I have to say.

BM wears Black Sheep. For Anyone not familiar with their work, ‘A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing’ is a classic.

Much better episode this week. They missed a huge opportunity though by
not killing Kimiko with the virus. Such a cop out writers are cowards

Wonder if

Sage will end up coming back to help the boys out in some way. Or whether Hughie's cut will end up being noticed if the shape shifter ends up changing into him instead

Much better episode this week. They missed a huge opportunity though by
not killing Kimiko with the virus. Such a cop out writers are cowards

Nah. She’s a massive asset in a scrap. They showed its efficacy and gave an incredible scene with a cracking soundtrack to it. One of the best Boys scenes in any season.

Great episode. The Pendulum swung from The Boys to The Baddies quite a few times. It was frenetic without being 100mph stuff.

Ah then they're fecked.

The shapeshifter method was so wonderfully unnecessary though. Morphing? Nah… Shedding? Maybe, but Nah…. Let’s have them rip off their flesh and throw it around. Makes more sense.

Also the Homelander - Webweaver scene. So perfectly over the top.

I quite like the juxtaposition between A-Train flipping and the Deep turning into a full-blown villain instead of kinda pathetic comic relief, he's still comic relief but you get the impression he might actually be dangerous now.

I can't remember from earlier seasons, but are all supes this invincible? It was a huge deal for that first one with the explosive in the first season that he was super durable, but between Sage, Noir and Deep - they all seem almost Homelander levels of invincible.

Am I missing something? Like the Deeps powers should be he can communicate with swimmy things and breathe underwater. Not take a 45 lbs to the face.

Sage is not invincible at all. She can be shot and killed just not in the head. And she was even worried about Deep puncturing her eye and going blind in the lobotomy scene. So she must not even be able to regenerate even that much in her head. They do need to reign in the regenerative stuff though. They need to differentiate between Kimiko( Deadpool level regen) and giving it to everyone.

This was the best stuff from the Deep this season really. His most emotional scene maybe with the Octopus. As nuts as it was they laid the groundwork in the relationship for that to be effective. And adding Tilda Swinton to voice her this season gave it added gravitas and punch.

Ryan finally pivoted in the right direction hopefully for good now. I want to see him continue to be defiant with Homelander.

The new shapeshifter plot was interesting I kind of like how the power was used as a play on Husk from Xmen shedding skin for a different form.

The only messy part of this episode for me was Frenchies convenient return. I feel like they could have done this another way. They wrote themselves into a corner with how they handled him and Colin at the beginning of the season. I get the guilt and feeling trapped by your past. That part all works especially sharing it with kamiko and how her guilt haunts her. But, it still feels like they wasted too many episodes on pointless plots for Frenchie this season. Why go to jail at all? Why didn't he and Kimiko just have the conversation they had in this episode 3 episodes ago. You would have gotten to the same place and not wasted time. Jail was not necessary for the plot it just took him out of last weeks episode. I also wish they had left some room for maybe Frenchie to have an out with Colin eventually

Good episode. Anthony Starr had me rolling.
IMG-20240711-205312.jpg

Sage is not invincible at all. She can be shot and killed just not in the head. And she was even worried about Deep puncturing her eye and going blind in the lobotomy scene. So she must not even be able to regenerate even that much in her head. They do need to reign in the regenerative stuff though. They need to differentiate between Kimiko( Deadpool level regen) and giving it to everyone.
Yeah, it's a bit inconsistent. Supposedly it's only her brain that regenerates... so why does she not have a bullet-shaped hole in her skull?

I can't remember from earlier seasons, but are all supes this invincible? It was a huge deal for that first one with the explosive in the first season that he was super durable, but between Sage, Noir and Deep - they all seem almost Homelander levels of invincible.

Am I missing something? Like the Deeps powers should be he can communicate with swimmy things and breathe underwater. Not take a 45 lbs to the face.
Yeah, good call. Seems they've now decided that members of "The Seven" especially, are all fairly impossible to kill.

Good episode. Anthony Starr had me rolling.
IMG-20240711-205312.jpg

He's so good!

Yeah, good call. Seems they've now decided that members of "The Seven" especially, are all fairly impossible to kill.

I suppose the seven are supposedly the best of the best. Powers do seem so inconsistent though based on what is needed for the story, but they are basically the JLA so not an issue being tough to kill.

He's so good!

I suppose the seven are supposedly the best of the best. Powers do seem so inconsistent though based on what is needed for the story, but they are basically the JLA so not an issue being tough to kill.
Yeah agreed about the last bit. They should've just maintained some sort of consistency throughout, but it's a minor point anyway.

I mean, if Sage's superpower is intelligence, she took a bullet to the brain...felt like that was that. It was also really well done and setup imo and would have been a great ending for that character.

Now if we need to be rid of Sage, what can do it other than homelander?

Yeah, it's a bit inconsistent. Supposedly it's only her brain that regenerates... so why does she not have a bullet-shaped hole in her skull?

She does, that's how Homelander realized what happened when at Ted Knight's place. He saw a hole in her head.

She does, that's how Homelander realized what happened when at Ted Knight's place. He saw a hole in her head.
She did… she doesn’t have one now. Unless she stuck a cork there and used a lot of make up.

She did… she doesn’t have one now. Unless she stuck a cork there and used a lot of make up.

Oh yea it happened in the front of the head, I thought it was more at the top which is why we might not see it.

To the general point about involving suits, I to was a bit annoyed that Black Noir could take a fecking gatling gun like nothing happened.

I remember the Luminous guy from season one having impenetrable skin, though I think that was mentioned as his superpower rather than a general thing about supes.

Didn't like the ending of the most recent episode. I don't really like shape-shifting as a major plot point like that.

I mean, if Sage's superpower is intelligence, she took a bullet to the brain...felt like that was that. It was also really well done and setup imo and would have been a great ending for that character.

Now if we need to be rid of Sage, what can do it other than homelander?
She said her brain heals but the rest of her doesn't, so she's basically human otherwise.

Maybe everyone else knew this, but this is what Antony Starr is actually like:

Huh.