Television The Boys

Does anybody not? I wholeheartedly disagree, I think the acting and writing is extremely average (and at various points just plain bad and not at all compelling).
Look, i watched these 3 episodes after watching Acolyte. Comparing to that, this is Oscar worth acting.:)

But yeah, in general, i think The Boys have really good acting. Writting can be better though.

Homelander is well acted. For the rest the acting is incredibly basic, much like the plot and the script.

Last edited:
Think it's a really good point on Homelander. Going in knowing there's a season 5 and there's no show without him kind of kills it for me. Like what's the point here then, they exist to take him down, and it's impossible.

Maybe they'll do something drastic, but feels like wheel-spinning so far.

Think it's a really good point on Homelander. Going in knowing there's a season 5 and there's no show without him kind of kills it for me. Like what's the point here then, they exist to take him down, and it's impossible.

It became new theme these days; every character is good and bad at the same time. I am all for anti-hero, good guy/bad guy stuff but like many things these days it went over the top. All new Star Wars shows, Star Trek shows, all Avengers stuff after Endgame, The Boys.......you don't have true villains anymore. Every villain has some sad story why he is a villain.

Wanna bet that Sage, A-Train, Sparkle (or whatever is her name), Deep, mini Homelander......will survive at the end? "Because they are good deep inside".

Honestly I'm still enjoying the show, the only thing that continues to grate me is Butcher's terrible cockney caricature - 'ya know foosball, me and me bruv used to play it down the pub you cheeky cnut'. I get Karl Urban is a Kiwi and I'm a big fan of his acting, but his take on a rowdy Englishman leaves a lot to be desired :lol:

Honestly I'm still enjoying the show, the only thing that continues to grate me is Butcher's terrible cockney caricature - 'ya know foosball, me and me bruv used to play it down the pub you cheeky cnut'. I get Karl Urban is a Kiwi and I'm a big fan of his acting, but his take on a rowdy Englishman leaves a lot to be desired :lol:
+1

No Homelander, no party.

Maybe they go full Jaime Lannister and he has a full redemption arc so that by the end of this season we love him. I doubt it though.

The scenes I've liked the best in this show have been ones that show the whole Superman-is-invincible idea from an evil perspective. Like when Homelander and Maeve flew to that doomed airliner, and Homelander refused to save the little girl. I thought that was the most powerful scene in the whole series. Also an early scene where Homelander flies to a terrorist training camp and lasers about 25 people into piles of guts in about 25 seconds. Superman has laser eyes too and it just never occurred to me that you could laser up a person like a food processor.

A-Train and the Deep need to die, though. Maybe they kill off the Seven until it's just Homelander and Hitler Jr. It's going to be tough: I want to know if this season will be worth the effort but avoiding spoilers in the process is going to be rough.

No Homelander, no party.

Maybe they go full Jaime Lannister and he has a full redemption arc so that by the end of this season we love him. I doubt it though.

The scenes I've liked the best in this show have been ones that show the whole Superman-is-invincible idea from an evil perspective. Like when Homelander and Maeve flew to that doomed airliner, and Homelander refused to save the little girl. I thought that was the most powerful scene in the whole series. Also an early scene where Homelander flies to a terrorist training camp and lasers about 25 people into piles of guts in about 25 seconds. Superman has laser eyes too and it just never occurred to me that you could laser up a person like a food processor.

A-Train and the Deep need to die, though. Maybe they kill off the Seven until it's just Homelander and Hitler Jr. It's going to be tough: I want to know if this season will be worth the effort but avoiding spoilers in the process is going to be rough.
A-Train is the most productive member of the boys :(

He killed Hughie's girlfriend in the first episode and everyone's just forgotten about it, including Hughie. You never feel like justice is coming for any of them, but it should start with him and Deep getting snuffed.
Hughie mentioned it (in passing — something along the lines of “take a guess why I’m against it” (bringing A-train in). But I don’t think that it was very convincing since it’s supposed to be the Batman’s parents-like character-defining moment for him.

Hughie mentioned it (in passing — something along the lines of “take a guess why I’m against it” (bringing A-train in). But I don’t think that it was very convincing since it’s supposed to be the Batman’s parents-like character-defining moment for him.
I think I've missed something (probably quite a few "somethings"): A-train is working with the boys? When I saw the recap that started this new season, I had forgotten a lot of the scenes behind the images.

I think I've missed something (probably quite a few "somethings"): A-train is working with the boys? When I saw the recap that started this new season, I had forgotten a lot of the scenes behind the images.
It happened this season, I didn’t mean to spoil it for you, sorry. Hence the @Berbasbullet ‘s comment.

He killed Hughie's girlfriend in the first episode and everyone's just forgotten about it, including Hughie. You never feel like justice is coming for any of them, but it should start with him and Deep getting snuffed.
I mean if I was now banging Starlight I'd probably forget all about my dead ex too

I've enjoyed it so far, but it definitely hasn't been as good as previous seasons so far. Feeling very much like a semi repeat of the last nazi lady plot, with a will he won't he turn evil/good plot for Ryan thrown in with the usual Homelander insecurities. Then the Boys themselves just bungle along without actually doing anything. Sage at least is something slightly different, but not sure the character is strong enough to carry things.

Not sure they can stretch it out over another 2 season, as in reality we just want to see if they finally manage to take out Homelander or if he kills everyone.

It's OK. Worst season though by quite a stretch. A bit boring and the story doesn't catch me much anymore.

It continues to be excellent. It's fine to enjoy things, you don't have to pretend you've got some kind of critical insight.

Little help as I clearly missed it (last episode):
When did Hughie stick the V in?

Thanks. Thought I was losing it!

Gotta be Butcher or A-Train. Both of their Machiavellian redemption arcs are being massively downplayed by people calling the season shit.

Homelander is going through the same thing. As is Starlight.

None of the characters are following true Hero’s journeys aside from Hughie, MM and Frenchie. But both are being confronted by their past and fecking up.

Homelander is taking vengeance against more powerful forces that controlled him and he’s feeling old and exploited and mistreated. Obviously going to try and burn it all and rule over a pile of ash. His son will probably defeat him after Homelander kills Butcher. (Homelander being called John quite a lot is indicative of him being not immortal. As are his greying pubes).

Starlight has taken the violent path while trying to take the high road.

Kimiko has found her heart but still has to kill to do the right thing.

Butcher literally has an angel on his shoulder and is thinking redeemable legacy after death without being able to be good in life.

Every character has a really great set of motivations to go light or dark.

I think Season 5 will see Gen V characters ‘fix’ or resolve the end game. Maybe Marie controlling Homelander and Neumans blood sees her win out.

It’s a really great show and I’m enjoying this seasons pacing a lot. Guarantee they stick the landing.

Last edited:
Bit annoying that they used the final shot of this episode in the marketing.

This was the best ep yet though. My only query is why did Homelander leave Hughie alone after he escaped him at the ice rink in the previous one?

This was the best episode of the 4 by far. You could argue that using the first 3 to "setup" this much with almost every character was the reason for it seeming slow. But, this was one of the best character progression episodes. Nearly every character except maybe MM got a lot of progression in story.

I think nearly all of them landed too. Starlight I felt was kind of meh the first 3. But they paid it off here giving her some real meat to bring her back to a complicated interesting place.
Homelander has had showcase the entire series and this backstory exploration was just more acting showcase from Anthony Star.

I am assuming that Hughey's mom took the V from his jacket she was eyeballing him when he put it in there in front of her. So that dynamic and her motivations are more complicated than shown as well. If they handle this right it could be as strong as all the other storylines. Right now it is still cooking

Whatever is going on with Billy after his reveal to Hughie is making more sense too. They really are in a good place to get people off talking about this as the worst season if they keep ramping things up with the storylines.

Whatever is going on with Billy after his reveal to Hughie is making more sense too. They really are in a good place to get people off talking about this as the worst season if they keep ramping things up with the storylines.

Im still amazed that anyone is saying that. People are impatient.

We’ve just seen an episode that included;

A grifter who’s whole grift is calling someone a child molester… admitting to molesting a child, getting cheered and lauded… because someone had an abortion.

Then… the smartest person on the planet asks for a temporary lobotomy to stop her being smart because being stupid is appealing

The mirror it holds up to society is without flaw.

It’s been slower. But it’s so so good. As with my post a couple up. It’s really building

Im still amazed that anyone is saying that. People are impatient.

We’ve just seen an episode that included;

A grifter who’s whole grift is calling someone a child molester… admitting to molesting a child, getting cheered and lauded… because someone had an abortion.

Then… the smartest person on the planet asks for a temporary lobotomy to stop her being smart because being stupid is appealing

The mirror it holds up to society is without flaw.

It’s been slower. But it’s so so good. As with my post a couple up. It’s really building

I don't even think it's been slow. It's just an incredibly entertaining black comedy and each episode is a brilliant time.

Bit annoying that they used the final shot of this episode in the marketing.

This was the best ep yet though. My only query is why did Homelander leave Hughie alone after he escaped him at the ice rink in the previous one?
Homelander should have killed Hughie, Starlight and Butcher in season 2. They're only alive because of plot armour and in Butchers case because Homelander enjoys how Butcher stands up to him and isn't afraid of him I guess.

Good episode. Homelander still the star of the show.
what is that worm thing inside of Butcher all about? Is that what killed Stretch Armstrong?