The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

I genuinely think we're stuck with Antony until his contract ends, can't see anyone ponying up to the level that helps the club make it clean enough under FFP. Case will have a role this year, that is very clear TBH, our best out for him was Saudi, but they clearly aren't interested now they're tightening the purse strings.

Maguire is out of contract next year isn't he? So I imagine he'll leave next summer.

Personally to do what we have I think is pretty good, the four you named I think were the longest shots to move on given their contract situations or purchase costs, or need to retain depth in their positions. We've moved on saleable assets and cleared out a huge amount of wages, and also got good sell-on percentages for young players, so there's potential future gains as well.

If we can now move on Eriksen and/or Lindelof as well Sancho I think that's a really good outcome for a first window.
Agree with that.

I don’t think it’s a great summer outgoing wise. It just shows how much deadwood we had that even after 9-10 outgoings, we have barely touched the squads bottom level performers.

Except AWB, I don’t think a single sale was a top priority exit. Our problem players are still around.

1. Maguire - Till he is in the club, his media friends will keep talking up his performances and putting pressure on the manager to start him. The bias is so crazy that a clear mistake by him for the first goal against Brighton was barely talked about, and pundits focussed much more on the fact that he was off the pitch for the second goal and that his sub was a mistake!

2. Sancho - He is getting a free pass to work 20% and get a salary which is 5 times his worth. And, he is a story every time he doesn’t start.

3. Antony - Complete brainless player and needs to go. Crazy how he completely loses his head and thinks that making a petulant foul in extra time when United are chasing the game is the way to go! Less said about his performances the better.

4. Casemiro - past it physically and it’s showing in his performances.

It’s no surprise that these 4 are also amongst the most expensive signings the club has made!

I really hope the Sancho deal goes through and United get to create a more cohesive dressing room.

How on earth we get Antony out is beyond me

Anyone know where we're at in terms of net spend?

I have a feeling we'll be signing one more player other than Ugarte, but want to get rid of Sancho first. Whether it's a winger/CM will be interesting. Hopefully the Sancho exit doesn't take too long and leaves us with a couple of days to look at a signing which would be a huge boost.

I have a feeling we'll be signing one more player other than Ugarte, but want to get rid of Sancho first. Whether it's a winger/CM will be interesting. Hopefully the Sancho exit doesn't take too long and leaves us with a couple of days to look at a signing which would be a huge boost.
Yeah I don’t think that’s inconceivable if Sancho goes though it may not be like for like position wise.

We've done a pretty damn good job with the player sales. Maguire, Lindelof and Eriksen will almost certainly leave next summer so don't mind them for a season as squad players.

I like the intent in terms of getting rid of it players who aren’t good enough. They’ve resisted temptation to keep players because it’s cheaper or because they ‘do a job’. Maguire, Linelof, Eriksen and Evans will all be gone next summer. Sancho, Malacia and Casemiro the following one. And there are likes of Antony who will be sold if by some miracle can find a buyer at any stage.

The squad will look vastly different within the next two years which is exactly what was required. Unfortunately because of so many players having limited time on their contracts and the ludicrous finances involved we were never going to raise huge sums of money and some players are essentially unsellable.

That is a decent bit of work in one transfer window. I still think that something will happen with Sancho which will push us almost to 150m for out goings. Not to mention the wages that Sancho, Varane, Martial, Van De Beek and AWB were earning.

Varane
Martial
Williams
Forson
Greenwood - 30m
McTominay 25m
Wan Bissaka - 18m
Kambwala - 10m
Alvaro Fernandez - 6m
Pellestri - 6m
Hannibal - TBC
Van De Beek - 500k

Looking at our squad depth for the season. We have 2 players for every position.

Onana/Bayindir
Dalot/Mazraoui De Ligt/Yoro Martinez/Maguire Shaw/Malacia
Amad/Antony Ugarte/Casemiro Mainoo/Collyer Garnacho/Rashford
Bruno/Mount
Hojlund/Zirkzee

Squad players
Eriksen
Lindelof
Evans
Wheatley
Amass
Gore
Heaton

I genuinely think we're stuck with Antony until his contract ends, can't see anyone ponying up to the level that helps the club make it clean enough under FFP. Case will have a role this year, that is very clear TBH, our best out for him was Saudi, but they clearly aren't interested now they're tightening the purse strings.

Maguire is out of contract next year isn't he? So I imagine he'll leave next summer.

Personally to do what we have I think is pretty good, the four you named I think were the longest shots to move on given their contract situations or purchase costs, or need to retain depth in their positions. We've moved on saleable assets and cleared out a huge amount of wages, and also got good sell-on percentages for young players, so there's potential future gains as well.

If we can now move on Eriksen and/or Lindelof as well Sancho I think that's a really good outcome for a first window.
I agree with all of this. It’s a good job in the circumstances but our most high profile deadwood is still around, which will impact our results. Harry & Case already cost us a game on Saturday and it will happen again over the course of the season.

Plus, their wages and transfer fee creates a huge PSR problem for us, which limits what we can do in the market in terms of players coming in and a revamp of the squad. I don’t think we sell McT after the season he had (goal scoring wise) if it was not needed to be able to bring in Ugarte. McT showed last season that he is a great Plan B!

Had hopes of one more after Ugarte IF we could have got some kind of loan fee for Sancho and found takers for Lindelof and Eriksen

Had hopes of one more after Ugarte IF we could have got some kind of loan fee for Sancho and found takers for Lindelof and Eriksen
Just read in Dutch media Ajax won’t be able to afford Eriksen, not even on a loan.
Guess a loan would only be possible if we’d pay half his salary, but personally I don’t see this deal happening

Not confirmed yet but looks like McTom and Mejbri are out of the door to Napoli and Burnley respectively. Prices touted are gbp ~25m and ~9.5m. Will take the outgoing fees to above gbp 80m.

We must be in a great position on PSR now with these academy graduate sales. McT and Greenwood in particular.

We must be in a great position on PSR now with these academy graduate sales. McT and Greenwood in particular.
Assuming Hannibal is classed as an academy player too? I know we paid quite a bit to bring him but he's only 21 I think and been with us since 2019.

Not sure what the criteria is for academy / home grown

Just read in Dutch media Ajax won’t be able to afford Eriksen, not even on a loan.
Guess a loan would only be possible if we’d pay half his salary, but personally I don’t see this deal happening

Unfortunately I don't think it's advisable anyway given we need rotational options and even if Eriksen was moved, we don't appear to be in for anyone else.

Assuming Hannibal is classed as an academy player too? I know we paid quite a bit to bring him but he's only 21 I think and been with us since 2019.

Not sure what the criteria is for academy / home grown
Any fees for academy players or development is not counted towards PSR/FFP. Also, any capital investment towards infrastructure is excluded.

We have sold - Alvaro, Mejbri, McTominay, Willy and Greenwood for decent sums which are pure profit. In addition, we have sold Fish, Shola, Omari, Oyedele for chump change in fees/tribunal fees. But those all add-up.

Then we sold AWB where I am assuming most of the amortization was already paid off.

I would guess we are well within this season's spend with regards to FFP/PSR. I will have to check what is the remaining amortization from previous seasons to get the actual picture.

Good thing is the squad INEOS have begun to assemble, is young, balanced, talented, dynamic and will be able to adapt to whoever comes in to replace ETH, seriously though one of the big issues we have had is incoming managers bemoaning being stuck with the previous managers players, Antony and Sancho aside the next manager in should have much less to complain about

Not confirmed yet but looks like McTom and Mejbri are out of the door to Napoli and Burnley respectively. Prices touted are gbp ~25m and ~9.5m. Will take the outgoing fees to above gbp 80m.
Think I counted £91.2m. Transfermarkt has current outgoings (McT, Mejbri excluding) at £55.7m. Those two take it to £91.2m

Outgoing £181m including Ugarte. So Net this window is £90m. Very impressive.

Also important to consider wages. Martial and Varane alone were about £600k a week. Our outgoings covered the wages of our new players and them some. If Eriksen and Lindelof go too, that gives us another £250k a week off the books.

Off the pitch we have almost been flawless so far.

Last edited:
Someone wrote in the Mejbri thread that Chris Wheeler is reporting a 9.5m fee for him.
supposedly £9m including add-ons

Being circumspect if we sign Ugarte and the McT sale goes through, we will be under £100m net £185m purchases, £85m sales.... if it works out WOW what business INEOS have done in a short space of time, if we manage to sell Sancho too, then WOWZER unbelievable

Think I counted £91.2m. Transfermarkt has current outgoings (McT, Mejbri excluding) at £55.7m. Those two take it to £91.2m

Outgoing £181m including Ugarte. So Net this window is £90m. Very impressive.

Also important to consider wages. Martial and Varane alone were about £600k a week. Our outgoings covered the wages of our new players and them some. If Eriksen and Lindelof go too, that gives us another £250k a week off the books.

Off the pitch we have almost been flawless so far.

Seems accurate.

Does anyone have an idea how our wage bill looks after this summers activities? Would be interesting to monitor that over time. If the data is out there would it be possible to include that info in the OP too @Insanity?

Apologies if it’s been mentioned somewhere before.

Very decent summer all things considered. Now the only transfer left I can see happening is Sancho leaving on loan.

Does anyone have an idea how our wage bill looks after this summers activities? Would be interesting to monitor that over time. If the data is out there would it be possible to include that info in the OP too @Insanity?

Apologies if it’s been mentioned somewhere before.
I reckon we'll be around £200m per season with Casemiro earning just under 10% of that figure.

There was 25% loss of wages clause for the players failing to qualify the Champions League.

I reckon we'll be around £200m per season with Casemiro earning just under 10% of that figure.

There was 25% loss of wages clause for the players failing to qualify the Champions League.
Not a chance, we're projected to be around £370m in wages for the current year, we're not shaving that down by £170m, we've added De Light who will be on a high ish salary and the others are on good wages too. I'd predict we'll be around £260-280m this year (thanks in big part to the CL reduction), though that means when we're back in the CL, the wage bill will hike, hopefully by that point we've shifted a few more high earners.

Not a chance, we're projected to be around £370m in wages for the current year, we're not shaving that down by £170m, we've added De Light who will be on a high ish salary and the others are on good wages too. I'd predict we'll be around £260-280m this year (thanks in big part to the CL reduction), though that means when we're back in the CL, the wage bill will hike, hopefully by that point we've shifted a few more high earners.
I'm just going off of Capology's estimate of 181m, that is player only salaries not the whole organization.

So, we did end up signing at least 5 players in the end. (Told you @croadyman :smirk: ) I predicted at least 4, but rather 5-6 as the most likely number. Hope we still get 1 more CM in tbh, be it Rabiot or someone else.

However, our net spend isn't as high as I thought it would be, thanks to the sales we've made.

I suspect we've put ourselves in a really favourable position with PSR/FFP for next summer with all these outgoings. Especially if you consider the profit made on some of the departing players: Greenwood and McTominay can be considered "pure profit", maybe AWB too since we should've paid all of the fee to Palace by the time he left (if I am mistaken, someone, please correct me), and then the smaller fees where we made profits I think on both Kambwala and Fernández, but a loss on Pellistri and VdB.

I expect a huge summer in 2025, and I think the new guys at the club already have that in mind too, and that's why we didn't go all out this summer. I know we still spent a lot, but IMO we can easily spend 300 million if our PSR situation is healthy + the cash flow is there.

Cole Palmer, Adam Wharton, and Jarrad Branthwaite, summer 2025, please. Proppa' Jimmy Brexit summer.

608fe439-b4ff-4952-9aae-fa118dd533f6.jpg

So, we did end up signing at least 5 players in the end. (Told you @croadyman :smirk: ) I predicted at least 4, but rather 5-6 as the most likely number. Hope we still get 1 more CM in tbh, be it Rabiot or someone else.

However, our net spend isn't as high as I thought it would be, thanks to the sales we've made.

I suspect we've put ourselves in a really favourable position with PSR/FFP for next summer with all these outgoings. Especially if you consider the profit made on some of the departing players: Greenwood and McTominay can be considered "pure profit", maybe AWB too since we should've paid all of the fee to Palace by the time he left (if I am mistaken, someone. please correct me), and then the smaller fees where we made profits I think on both Kambwala and Fernández, but a loss on Pellistri and VdB.

I expect a huge summer in 2025, and I think the new guys at the club already have that in mind too, and that's why we didn't go all out this summer. I know we still spent a lot, but IMO we can easily spend 300 million if our PSR situation is healthy + the cash flow is there.

Cole Palmer, Adam Wharton, and Jarrad Branthwaite, summer 2025, please. Proppa' Jimmy Brexit summer.

608fe439-b4ff-4952-9aae-fa118dd533f6.jpg

Yeah we did make 5 first team signings so fair play, also will have made 3 for the U18/U21's when all the Premier League verifications are sorted. I just want a sixth first team one whether it's Rabiot on a free or late late move for Toney which won't happen

Yeah we did make 5 first team signings so fair play, also will have made 3 for the U18/U21's when all the Premier League verifications are sorted. I just want a sixth first team one whether it's Rabiot on a free or late late move for Toney which won't happen

I think there are questions about Toney's mental profile, and that's why no big club really moved for him. Also, possibly Brentford's valuation was too high as well.

I hope it's a central midfielder, if we do get one more player in.