The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

Just Maguire, Lindelöf, Erikson and Casemiro to shift now, possibly in the January window.

Lindelöf and Erikson contracts expire in 2025 I believe. They go this window or they go for free - no ones buying them in Jan. Maguire the same but we have a one year option, I suspect we will trigger this to sell next summer.

Casemiro will likely go next summer, his contract is 2026, there is no value trying to shift players in Jan - unless someone comes knocking.

That is a decent bit of work in one transfer window. I still think that something will happen with Sancho which will push us almost to 150m for out goings. Not to mention the wages that Sancho, Varane, Martial, Van De Beek and AWB were earning.

Varane
Martial
Williams
Forson
Greenwood - 30m
McTominay 25m
Wan Bissaka - 18m
Kambwala - 10m
Alvaro Fernandez - 6m
Pellestri - 6m
Hannibal - TBC
Van De Beek - 500k

Looking at our squad depth for the season. We have 2 players for every position.

Onana/Bayindir
Dalot/Mazraoui De Ligt/Yoro Martinez/Maguire Shaw/Malacia
Amad/Antony Ugarte/Casemiro Mainoo/Collyer Garnacho/Rashford
Bruno/Mount
Hojlund/Zirkzee

Squad players
Eriksen
Lindelof
Evans
Wheatley
Amass
Gore
Heaton
Add Will Fish 2 mil, the boy felliani transfer fees and probably sancho, can easily add another 30-40 mil to that total. Crazy what footballing people can do.

Like already mentioned Lindelof and Eriksen hold very little resale value, so I’m fine with them hanging around and moving for free next season.

Next summer the club will need to look at Maguire, Rashford, Antony and Casemiro. But I’m fine giving them this season to turn things around.

Also we can’t get rid of absolutely everyone this summer haha.

Nobody daft enough to pay Lindelof what he's currently on, going as a free earns him one last big pay day.

Absolute top job by INEOS in selling this summer I think.

McT, Sancho, Greenwood all gone on very solid fees for their situations. AWB being basically exchanged for Maz. As well as Pellistri/Hannibal etc being sold. THATS how you shift deadwood.

Frees us up to be very aggressive again next summer I think.

Surprised and thrilled with the activity during this transfer window. Their biggest task was selling players and reducing the wage bill and the net spend is in and around 100m, with a less weekly wage bill. Providing the signings work out, one of our best ever transfer windows.

The clear out was successful: 16 (sixteen) departures including loans (in case Sancho deal is confirmed)

INEOS deserve their flowers. They've earned my respect and got my attention. I look forward to next summer and the completion of the overhaul.

Great job for this summer and the fans could not have asked for more this year. Now the players and the coaching staff have to do their bit and get top 4. So INEOS can deliver next summer again and get us challenging for the league.

It's so good to have people in charge who actually care about the club rather than just lining their own pockets, and who actually know what they are doing. Great transfer window. Couldn't really have asked for better.

Wages saved over the summer must be huge!

I don't think United will ever get massive fees in for players leaving as you don't usually leave United at the peak of your powers.

Hopefully this summer is the ground work for good things to come for things to come under INEOS

On the face of it, this has been a really positive window for us. We’ve signed 5 first team players for decent transfer fees and managed to offload a number of players to offset the spending. I just hope that the players we’ve signed go onto have a good career here.

It’s a lot more than 60, people keep including add ons for outgoings and excluding them for incomings, also Sancho is a loan and the money only comes in next summer.
We've made £80m in sales (not including future obligations) and saved £59m in annual wages = £139m. We've spent 181m in transfer fees (including possible future add ons) and £27m in annual wages = 208m. £69m net spend being conservative

We've made £80m in sales (not including future obligations) and saved £59m in annual wages = £139m. We've spent 181m in transfer fees (including possible future add ons) and £27m in annual wages = 208m. £69m net spend being conservative

Jesus, 59m in wages? Who was so expensive outside of Sancho, Varane?

INEOS has certainly made progress. But far from a great window. CAF always goes to the extremes. Solid 8/10 window, let's dive into progress:

Wage Bill: £175M (-£28M)

- Great progress, 4th Highest Bill if Arsenal take on Sterling. But we are paying £81M for aging Casemiro, 3 squad players (Mount, Antony Maguire), and 3 players unfit to play in EPL (Rashy, Lindelof, Eriksen). We should be able to replace/upgrade and get to £150M.

Transfer Spend: £94M net
- Great Progress in fixing defense, but we will struggle to score. Our wings have no depth, and our LBs have injury concerns. We sold our 2/3 most talented wingers (for valid reasons) and didn't replace them.

GK: 7/10 (Unchanged)
RB: 8/10 (+1 in swapping AWB)
CB: 9/10 (+2.5 in depth, age, contracts)
LB: 6.5/10 (no depth, unless Amass develops)
DM: 9.5/10 (+1.5 in Ugarte, Toby)
CM: 8.5/10 (-0.5 losing Scott)
LW: 7/10 (-0.5, no depth behind Garnacho)
RW: 6.5/10 (-1, Amad/Antony backup level)
ST: 8.5/10 (+1, 2 young, dynamic strikers)

What’s it up to? 200-220 million pounds?

This is the picture at the close of the transfer window unless we flog one or two to Saudi. Quite a big summer both in terms of incomings and outgoings.

2024/25 summer outgoings:

Released/End of Contract:
  1. Rafael Varane (CB) - End of contract
  2. Anthony Martial (FWD) - End of contract
  3. Brandon Williams (LB/RB) - End of contract
  4. Omari Forson (RW/LW) - End of contract (Tribunal Fee)
  5. Charlie McNeill (Striker) - End of contract
  6. Shola Shoretire (AM) - End of contract (~£500k)
Loans:
  1. Joe Hugill (Striker) - Wigan (League One)
  2. Radel Vitek (GK) - BW Linz (Austrian League)
  3. Rhys Bennett (CB) - Fleetwood Town (League Two)
  4. Elhy Harrison (GK) - Chester FC (Nations League)
  5. Sonny Ajolfree (CB) - Accrington Stanley (League Two)
  6. Jadon Sancho (AM) - Chelsea (PL) - Loan with an Obligation to buy @£20m-£25m
Sales:
  1. Alvaro Fernandez (LB) - £5.1m ( €6m) - Option to buy exercised by Benfica
  2. Donny Van de Beek (CM) - £423k (€500k) plus add-ons
  3. Willy Kambwala (CB) - £4.63m (€5.5m) plus £5.1m (€6m) in add-ons.
  4. Mason Greenwood (Striker) - £23.3m (€27.6m) plus £3.4m (€4m) in add-ons. Also, a sell-on clause.
  5. Aaron Wan Bissaka (RB) - £15m
  6. Will Fish (CB) - £1m rising to £3m or £4m
  7. Facundo Pellestri (RW) - £5.11m (€6m) plus 1.7m (€2m) add-ons Also, a sell-on clause.
  8. Maxi Oyedele (Cm) - £ ??
  9. Scott McTominay (CM) - £25.29m (€30m). 10% sell-on clause.
  10. Hannibal Mejbri (CM) - £5.4m plus £4m add-ons. 50% sell-on clause and a buy back clause.
Total Fees generated: ~£85.75m + add-ons.

Last edited:
If only we could add Antony/Rashford (or both!) in there as well - and replace them with actual quality wingers - we'd be in a great position squad wise.
Amen to this, as they say.

I'm happy with what we've done in this transfer window.
It's always easy to look at what still needs addressing, but in doing so, we shouldn't forget what's been done by Ineos in such a short period of time.

Go back a year and we're dealing with a bloated squad, poor management and a manager who's had to deal with all that whilst still trying to get us to play football.
Now, we have a totally new and efficient management structure. They've offloaded some of the deadwood and made some money. They've brought in at least 5 decent players to strengthen the squad and they've taken some of the burden off ETHs shoulders so he can concentrate on the football.
The icing on the cake is the new management actually shifted Sancho to Chelsea to get a bit of payback for the Mount sale.

I know there's still a fair bit of work to be done, we'd still like another midfielder, a decent LB, cover for the wings etc but let's not lose sight of the fact that Ineos have done all this in quite a short space of time. We're in a much better place now than we have been for years.

As United fans we should be feeling a bit more optimistic about the future, it's been a bloody good start under Ineos.

Is it confirmed that there is no loan fee associated with Sancho deal? If there is, it should be added to sale proceeds I would have thought.

Another question re: loans of our youngsters: were all of those free loans?

INEOS has certainly made progress. But far from a great window. CAF always goes to the extremes. Solid 8/10 window, let's dive into progress:

Wage Bill: £175M (-£28M)

- Great progress, 4th Highest Bill if Arsenal take on Sterling. But we are paying £81M for aging Casemiro, 3 squad players (Mount, Antony Maguire), and 3 players unfit to play in EPL (Rashy, Lindelof, Eriksen). We should be able to replace/upgrade and get to £150M.

Transfer Spend: £94M net
- Great Progress in fixing defense, but we will struggle to score. Our wings have no depth, and our LBs have injury concerns. We sold our 2/3 most talented wingers (for valid reasons) and didn't replace them.

GK: 7/10 (Unchanged)
RB: 8/10 (+1 in swapping AWB)
CB: 9/10 (+2.5 in depth, age, contracts)
LB: 6.5/10 (no depth, unless Amass develops)
DM: 9.5/10 (+1.5 in Ugarte, Toby)
CM: 8.5/10 (-0.5 losing Scott)
LW: 7/10 (-0.5, no depth behind Garnacho)
RW: 6.5/10 (-1, Amad/Antony backup level)
ST: 8.5/10 (+1, 2 young, dynamic strikers)

You can't do it all in one window