The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

Keeping Maguire and the other surplus players for another 1-2 years + certainly doesn't keep the team competitive. The complete opposite. It makes us unable to progress and improve, it makes us weaker.

Our fan base drive me insane. The only way we improve our footballing side of things is by overhauling the squad. Currently we have too many players here that dont feature long term. We have more unwanted players than wanted.

Big squad changes simply have to happen. We wont do better than 7th or 8th with the Maguires of this squad featuring regularly.

Your comment makes zero sense
My comment that the math doesn't work to sell these players makes zero sense? Please show us how the math does work then. Letting them go for effectively free by making a transfer that only barely covers the costs to unload them won't allow us to add any talented players.

Still a few weeks to go but things have really slowed down. Lindelof, AWB, Pellistri, Hannibal, Sancho, Casemiro, Antony (?), all players that should have been sold, hopefully some of them get a permanent move before the end of the window.

Ugarte / DeLigt / Maz is over 100mill of spend - based on what weve alledgedly offered , obviously s big chunk of that is going to be financed by outgoings in the short term, but if we cant get them over the line (the purchases) because of the sellers not agreeing, then why are the alternatives so much lower priced options or freebies (Berge / Hermoso) ? unless were not offering anywhere near whats been alledged.

I think the club were really hoping that some Saudi club would throw a huge a bag of cash at us for Casemiro this summer. They didn't and now we're fecked.

Yeah no Saudi interest was a major setback and ended any faint hopes of signing two midfielders

Just have to laugh at this stage. Either we pay players off to clear the squad or we wait for the likes of Maguire, McT, AWB, etc to run their contracts down.

I do actually sympathize a little with INEOS because it clearly is a mess they've inherited but as each day passes, as a fan, it's hard to see so many players that aren't good enough still here. I'm not saying all these players are bad and should go but it does affect fan morale and optimism for the new season when you see them lining up. If they end up staying then it's astonishing how long some of them have lasted:

Shaw- ten seasons at the club
Maguire- six seasons at the club
Lindelof- eight seasons at the club
Mctominay- Eight seasons in the first team
Sancho- Fourth season at the club
AwB- six seasons at the club

Even the likes of Dalot (very good last year) and Rashford (can be outstanding) who have been at the club for many years and who most fans would want to keep, there are still a few question marks around them. Bruno is probably the only long term survivor that I think is definitely good enough.

I do actually sympathize a little with INEOS because it clearly is a mess they've inherited but as each day passes, as a fan, it's hard to see so many players that aren't good enough still here. I'm not saying all these players are bad and should go but it does affect fan morale and optimism for the new season when you see them lining up. If they end up staying then it's astonishing how long some of them have lasted:

Even the likes of Dalot (very good last year) and Rashford (can be outstanding) who have been at the club for many years and who most fans would want to keep, there are still a few question marks around them. Bruno is probably the only long term survivor that I think is definitely good enough.
What the feck! 7 seasons for such a shit player....

AWB into his 6th season!

That past so fast!

AWB into his 6th season!

That past so fast!
Might not be now with the West Ham move. I like to think it was my complaining that made all the difference ;) . Genuinely wish him well, and he was a good player at times but never really United class and 5 seasons is, well, that's a LOT of time and not really a lot of progression for him or us.

The one I completely don’t get is McTominay. Clearly not good enough for us, contract runs out next year, had interest from a number of clubs last year and this Summer yet is still there. We rejected a perfectly adequate £20m offer from Fulham because we want more than £30m which seems purely fueled by our newfound desire to win absolutely every single deal that we make.

Now the only resolution that we can come out with here now seems to be keeping him for another year and then letting him leave for free next year, essentially meaning we value either our reputation as tough negotiators or one season of him in the squad at £20m. Safe to say neither is worth that.

It’s probably the best we can hope for, ie running down contracts of players we that are not good enough and letting them leave the club for free. The other alternative is extending their deals to retain ‘value’ which is what we had done repeatedly under previous regime, hopefully at least this is gone now (which would be some progress).

So if we could sell McTominay, Sancho and maybe one other would you prefer?

Ugarte and second midfielder
Ugarte and experienced goalscorer

Another midfielder for sure, we are one injury away to have same issues as last year in the middle of the field. When it comes to attack, with Amad, Zirkzee, Rashford, Garnacho, Houjland, to a lesser extent Antony (I know I know), we atleast have some cover in attack.

Bit of progress with sale of AWB. We still have too many fringe players who will barely play though so still think Lindelof, Eriksen, Hannibal, Pellistri and Sancho should get moves. Mctominay should really move as well although it’s a shame we don’t seem to be able to drum up a good fee.

Eriksen is a hard players to sell. But he cost nowt and has 1 year to go on his contract, so I have no issue with him staying for another year.

The easiest players to sell would be McTom followed by Lindelof.

Considering the defensive incomings it would be crazy for Lindelof to stay.

Eriksen is a hard players to sell. But he cost nowt and has 1 year to go on his contract, so I have no issue with him staying for another year.

The easiest players to sell would be McTom followed by Lindelof.

Considering the defensive incomings it would be crazy for Lindelof to stay.
We should be selling Fish, Bennett & Lindelof. Maguire, Martinez, Delight, Yoro & Evans is more than enough. Maybe we could keep Fish or Bennett but one of them should really be sold.

It makes sense, but don’t forget Maguire and Evans are almost certain to leave next season, meaning we’ll be back to three senior centre backs again, with no sign of any coming through from the academy for next season.
I don't think Tosin or Lloyd Kelly are good enough to start for us, but that's why I believe we should have got them this summer as 4/5th choice CB. A quick look at Transfermarkt tells me there aren't any goods CBs that we could sign on a free next summer.

Last edited:
We should be selling Fish, Bennett & Lindelof. Maguire, Martinez, Delight, Yoro & Evans is more than enough. Maybe we could keep Fish or Bennett but one of them should really be sold.
It makes sense, but don’t forget Maguire and Evans are almost certain to leave next season, meaning we’ll be back to three senior centre backs again, with no sign of any coming through from the academy for next season.

Lindelöf must see the writing on the wall seeing Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro, Maguire and maybe even Evans ahead of him. Probably an issue of salary that might need a payoff. According to the admittedly not all that reliable capology he earns £120k a week. Can't see any teams offering whatever he is on currently and he is 30 years old knowing that he will never earn this much again in his lifetime. Worst case he leaves next summer when his contract is up I suppose, but at least he would be off the books. Hopefully some desperate team comes in for him at the end of the window when time is running out.

A second, more creative midfielder.

Someone as an option to Mainoo, who can open defences. Will give a great balance to our double pivot options

If we can see the back of Lindelof, McT and Sancho before the window is done, with at least one midfielder on top of what we've got, I'd say that's a big success. Those three should collect north of £60million along with other sales means we'll have brought in around £100million.

All the money we're saving is being spent on the following in order to improve an injury laden squad, DeLigt hasn't figured in any fashion for both Juventus and Bayern and now we're spending our hard earned on a proven reject. Bayern must be sniggering in delight. He missed twenty games last season alone.

De Ligt
23/24Inner ligament injuryApr 27, 2024May 6, 20249 days3 games
23/24Inner knee ligament tearNov 2, 2023Dec 14, 202342 days9
23/24KnockSep 25, 2023Oct 17, 202322 days6
23/24Calf injuryJun 12, 2023Jun 19, 20237 days2

Mazraoui​

23/24Torn muscle fiberFeb 19, 2024Mar 18, 202428 days5
23/24FitnessJan 30, 2024Feb 9, 202410 days1
23/24Torn muscle bundleDec 13, 2023Jan 29, 202447 days10
23/24IllOct 30, 2023Nov 2, 20233 days1
23/24muscular problemsOct 15, 2023Oct 23, 20238 days2

All the money we're saving is being spent on the following in order to improve an injury laden squad, DeLigt hasn't figured in any fashion for both Juventus and Bayern and now we're spending our hard earned on a proven reject. Bayern must be sniggering in delight. He missed twenty games last season alone.

De Ligt

Mazraoui​

How nice to just write players off already

De Ligt

Mazraoui​

We're building a squad. Hopefully they won't have to play every game.

There's no such thing as big summer clear out. It's not retail. Unless if you want to start offloading players for free. We've been paying them too much in salary.... it's our own doing.

Should look to offload Mctominay sancho and one off maguire lindelof now. Maybe even casemiro if we can on good terms

If we can get these 3 out and add one midfielder and one cb that can also play lb we will be set.

In an ideal world (which I'm fully aware doesn't exist) I think something along the lines of this would happen over the next couple of weeks:

In: De Ligt, Mazraoui, Berge, Ugarte
Out: Lindelof, Eriksen, McTominay, Hannibal, Sancho

And loan out one or two more youth players.

Thinking further into the future, you probably try to offload Casemiro, Maguire, Antony next time and don't renew Heaton & Evans.

A transfer request may save us some loyalty bonus payment, other than that we should be looking actively looking to sell him anyway.