The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

Lindelof, McTom, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Casemiro, Antony and Sancho - still a lot of mediocrity on the books. Some of them on really high wages too. Need to shift at least a half of them in this window.

Surprised we haven't been able to shift Mejbri and Pellestri yet. At least those two should have left by now.

I like the Juve approach where they told a bunch of players that they are not needed and their agents need to find them new clubs. I wish we took this approach instead of declaring our love for the McTom's and the Maguire's. Like Ole, ETH too does like to hoard players and is afraid of letting them go.

The window started with a lot of promise with us being able to get Greenwood out at a decent price given the circumstances but has fizzled out since then. We need to get moving. The first game of the season is less than 10 days away.

You're overthinking this.

Maguire is on £190k a week. He has little incentive to take a new contract for much less than he's currently making. I'm sure he'd probably take a 4 year extension for £150k a week or something, but given his age, no one is giving him a long-term deal. He's worth maybe £100k or £120k a week if he were paid fair market value.

That means his transfer value is ZERO. Why would another team give us ANYTHING to pay him almost double what he's actually worth in wages? It makes no sense. That leaves you two options:

1) Pay off the excess wages for Maguire. Say his new wages are £100k a week on the new team. That means you have to pay him £90*52 = £4.6M in bonus to get him to accept the new wages for this year. Figure maybe another ~£5 Million in agent fees / sign on fees for leaving. That's £10M we've paid out just to get him off the books, which probably wipes out much of any fee you'd get for him (his new team giving you £25M to sign him for a 1 or 2 year deal? no). And this all presumes Maguire wants to go to this new team.
2) Keep him as a squad player and let his contract run down. Only costs you a few million in foregone fees and keeps the team more competitive for this year.

We've chosen option 2. And the mystery of why Case, Eriksen, and Antony are here all comes down to the exact same issue. They're too overpaid to net you anything in transfer fees, you'd have to use all the funds just to pay down their excess wages, and in some cases we'd have to take a huge PSR loss just to be rid of them.

Keeping Maguire and the other surplus players for another 1-2 years + certainly doesn't keep the team competitive. The complete opposite. It makes us unable to progress and improve, it makes us weaker.

Our fan base drive me insane. The only way we improve our footballing side of things is by overhauling the squad. Currently we have too many players here that dont feature long term. We have more unwanted players than wanted.

Big squad changes simply have to happen. We wont do better than 7th or 8th with the Maguires of this squad featuring regularly.

Your comment makes zero sense

Keeping Maguire and the other surplus players for another 1-2 years + certainly doesn't keep the team competitive. The complete opposite. It makes us unable to progress and improve, it makes us weaker.

Our fan base drive me insane. The only way we improve our footballing side of things is by overhauling the squad. Currently we have too many players here that dont feature long term. We have more unwanted players than wanted.

Big squad changes simply have to happen. We wont do better than 7th or 8th with the Maguires of this squad featuring regularly.

Your absolutely spot on and I'm tearing my hair out, some of our fans are completely deluded.

I would go further and say that keeping the same players and adding an 18 year old and an unproven in this league striker/Winger will take us up the league.

For context Casemiro Eriksen Maguire Mctominey and the rest that should be moved on are a year older.

The other teams are making big improvements and our supposed rivals are already 4 places above us in the league.

I think we can have a positive season if the window changes significantly and we clear these players out.

It's not just about getting new players in but as long as the deadwood are here they will play.

Booking my travel for Fulham I am dreading what well see.

Everyone knows we have to get rid of unwanted players and replace them with better players.

The problem is and always has been finding buyers.

I'm not questioning that we need an overhaul, but how would you go about overhauling the squad?

As it stands, this is a 2/10 transfer window.

We've signed Zirkzee who is 3rd choice striker for the Netherlands. Weghorst is ahead of him - A player we can all agree was pretty bad.

We then signed Yoro, which is exciting but hes nowhere near the finished article and is now 3 months away from even starting a game.

We're going to start the season with a WORSE squad than we ended last season with. It'll take several high profile sales and signings to salvage this.

think that United need a reality check. We had 2 dinosaurs as managers in Mou and Ole who stocked us with players who aren't suited for the modern game. The club made it worse by giving them silly salaries which makes it impossible for us to get rid off. There's a very valid reason why the likes of Maguire, AWB, Lindelof and McT are still at the club with only the likes of Fulham and West Ham bidding for them. They are low table club level, on stupid salary and with one year left in their contract. Clubs also know that we need to sell which drive the salary even further down.

In my opinion we should have cleared the decks by accepting the first reasonable fee given (even if its on the lower side). What's the point of keeping players who are not good enough, and who will still walk for free next season? If AWB wants to go to Inter then he goes there for a swap with Dumfries. The Dutch is some 55k a week, he'll provide us good cover for Dalot and will help us avoid losing a 15m-20m player for free in 6 months time. Sancho for Soule? Gone. We get rid of his huge salary. For the rest sell. Maguire for 15m? Gone, Lindelof for 12m? Gone. The Scottish Zidane for 20M? Gone. That's all salary spared and money recouped that would, most likely, be lost in 6 months time.

Then we use the money wisely. The likes of Tah (25m euros), Leif Davis, Fofana and Lamptey (1 year left in his contract), young talent such as Anselmino, free agents like Guido Rodriguez etc. Plug potential gaps with loans if needed as well. Sure the risk of them being the next Djemba Djemba is reasonably high. But if we give them the right salary on the right fee then its not a tragedy either as we'll be able to sell them for a minimum loss. I'd rather get a risk who has the potential to be good then stick to proven rubbish especially the likes who can walk on a free next season.

And let's stop being nice to rejects. No preseason tour, no training with the first team, nothing. I'd rather see us play youths then them

As it stands, this is a 2/10 transfer window.

We've signed Zirkzee who is 3rd choice striker for the Netherlands. Weghorst is ahead of him - A player we can all agree was pretty bad.

We then signed Yoro, which is exciting but hes nowhere near the finished article and is now 3 months away from even starting a game.

We're going to start the season with a WORSE squad than we ended last season with. It'll take several high profile sales and signings to salvage this.

And we still have one of most clueless managers in the league at the helm.

Your absolutely spot on and I'm tearing my hair out, some of our fans are completely deluded.

I would go further and say that keeping the same players and adding an 18 year old and an unproven in this league striker/Winger will take us up the league.

For context Casemiro Eriksen Maguire Mctominey and the rest that should be moved on are a year older.

The other teams are making big improvements and our supposed rivals are already 4 places above us in the league.

I think we can have a positive season if the window changes significantly and we clear these players out.

It's not just about getting new players in but as long as the deadwood are here they will play.

Booking my travel for Fulham I am dreading what well see.
Dreading we’ll win ?

Everyone knows we have to get rid of unwanted players and replace them with better players.

The problem is and always has been finding buyers.

I'm not questioning that we need an overhaul, but how would you go about overhauling the squad?
We have buyers but we want premium fee for those players. We want 30 mil for McT, we don't even try to sell Maguire (who is very sellable player for decent fee), we want 20 mil for AWB and who knows how much we want for Antony or Sancho.

In selling there is a context. When you are City or Arsenal, with good and balanced squad, then you can demand premium money for players. In our case, you don't accept lowballs of course but you can't act like there is no difference will specific player be sold or not.

We have buyers but we want premium fee for those players. We want 30 mil for McT, we don't even try to sell Maguire (who is very sellable player for decent fee), we want 20 mil for AWB and who knows how much we want for Antony or Sancho.

In selling there is a context. When you are City or Arsenal, with good and balanced squad, then you can demand premium money for players. In our case, you don't accept lowballs of course but you can't act like there is no difference will specific player be sold or not.

30 million for Mctominay is not premium money in fact its not even close, its actually a reasonable price tag considering what others have gone for and are going for in the same summer.

Our problem as ever is wages and finding buyers who would take them on or players who would leave for lesser wages

AWB to West Ham off as well. There is no clear out.

The market these days is all about youth and potential. That’s where all the money is being spent.

As players age, the smaller clubs become less interested and unprepared to pay a decent fee, due to a diminishing chance of making their money back.

There’s a sweet spot selling players when they show promise but it’s clear they won’t make that step up.

We missed that last year with McTominay, we’ve done it constantly over the years with Elanga probably the only player we sold at the right time.

People compare transfers fees but it’s all geared towards youth / potential.

Unfortunately we will likely be stuck with pretty much everyone we want rid of until their contracts expire.

Surely that makes no sense though? Why let 3/4 players go on a free when you can recoup some money at least?

I thought United would learn their lesson this season. Yes don’t be lowballed but just asking way above what you’re going to get is plain stupid. £15m for AWB and £20m for McTominay isn’t great but if that gets us closer to two new signings I don’t understand the issue. We need significant player turnover now, not in 2/3 years.

Bad smells we can't get rid off. How many years do the likes of Mctominay, Lindelof and Maguire have?

30 million for Mctominay is not premium money in fact its not even close, its actually a reasonable price tag considering what others have gone for and are going for in the same summer.

Our problem as ever is wages and finding buyers who would take them on or players who would leave for lesser wages
Fee is a matter of opinion i guess. For me reasonable price for McT is one pound, for you over 30 mil. All good.
But neverheless, not selling him (for 15, 20, 25 mil...) we don't just lose money which we can invest in a player who we actually need more, we are also in situation where we need to offer him a new contract (or at least trigger extension).

But ok, he is staying probably. When we will be dominated in midfield again against Forest or Brentford, i hope that Erik (and fans) will not moan about it.

City showing us again how it’s done selling players. £80 million for Alvarez is unbelievable business by them. No doubt that will go straight back into the team.

Jesus fecking wept. Can't shift anyone it seems, regardless of the new backroom staff.

Bar Greenwood we haven't sold any of those we desperately need to move on.

City showing us again how it’s done selling players. £80 million for Alvarez is unbelievable business by them. No doubt that will go straight back into the team.

If we had a player like Alvarez up front we would not be selling him.

But he's a legitimately a very, very good player.

I think the club were really hoping that some Saudi club would throw a huge a bag of cash at us for Casemiro this summer. They didn't and now we're fecked.

We've been run like a theme park/ ATM for years. Spoiled, lazy, overpaid players. Corrupt owners milking a legacy that's been crumbling for years. The chickens have bedded down and won't be leaving anytime soon. GLAZERS OUT!!!!!

I think this has mostly to do with Ashworth not being in place until the beginning of July and Berrada two weeks later. Looks like we'll keep almost all the deadwood that is tactically nowhere near suitable to how we want to play.

So far, very disappointing window.

Surely that makes no sense though? Why let 3/4 players go on a free when you can recoup some money at least?

I thought United would learn their lesson this season. Yes don’t be lowballed but just asking way above what you’re going to get is plain stupid. £15m for AWB and £20m for McTominay isn’t great but if that gets us closer to two new signings I don’t understand the issue. We need significant player turnover now, not in 2/3 years.

I’m guessing that like Maguire last season AWB wants a big payoff so selling him becomes less viable. Mctominay we should have taken the money and we’ve over valued him again unfortunately.

It’s going to take years to get rid of these players because it’s unviable to sell them with PSR. Maguire, Mctominay, Eriksen, Lindelof, AWB, Casemiro and Sancho all out of contract in next two years. With exception of Mctominay they likely all leave once their contracts expire to avoid huge losses or because the players won’t leave without payoffs.

Given some of those walk away for free I’m surprised we overplayed our hand and failed to sell any of them when there were offers. If the plan is to spend ~80m every window while not selling anyone and letting players go for free, we can’t expect any improvement.

Lets hope that they don't give them any contract extension at this point. Just clear the decks and if needs be we work with a mix of shrewd Anselmino/Caicedo type of signings and kids.

Can’t see us shifting anyone else out at this point, therefore no more incomings. Disappointing but years of mismanagement coming home to roost.

The dream was to raise at the minimum 75m by selling McT, Maguire, Eriksen, AWB, Lindelof, Pellestri and Mejbri. All of them are out of contract when the season ends. But looks like except Pellestri and Mejbri, they all going to stay and stink up the place for another year before leaving for free at the end of next season. Sigh....

I guess we are going to add another DM (most likely Amrabat) by the end of the window and that's it. Another season of struggling for the top 4 under an underwhelming manager coming up.

The dream was to raise at the minimum 75m by selling McT, Maguire, Eriksen, AWB, Lindelof, Pellestri and Mejbri. All of them are out of contract when the season ends. But looks like except Pellestri and Mejbri, they all going to stay and stink up the place for another year before leaving for free at the end of next season. Sigh....

I guess we are going to add another DM (most likely Amrabat) by the end of the window and that's it. Another season of struggling for the top 4 under an underwhelming manager coming up.

We should have done more. McT for 20m isn't that bad considering how average he is and that he plays in a position we are well stocked in. AWB wants to go to Inter. A straight swap with Dumfries shouldn't be that difficult. Then we made the mistake of taking these players to preseason thus further ensuring them that they'll be used next season if they remain here. Quite frankly I am a bit disappointing about our scouting department. We keep hearing of how Murtough/Woodward had clipped their wings bla bla bla. Yet when they were given an opportunity to shine they went for obvious signings and players on ETH's whatsapp group again. Hopefully Ashworth will now do a clear out of them. Only god knows how much we need that.

First thing we need to stop is handing out huge wage,that has really messed us up.

We should have done more. McT for 20m isn't that bad considering how average he is and that he plays in a position we are well stocked in. AWB wants to go to Inter. A straight swap with Dumfries shouldn't be that difficult. Then we made the mistake of taking these players to preseason thus further ensuring them that they'll be used next season if they remain here. Quite frankly I am a bit disappointing about our scouting department. We keep hearing of how Murtough/Woodward had clipped their wings bla bla bla. Yet when they were given an opportunity to shine they went for obvious signings and players on ETH's whatsapp group again. Hopefully Ashworth will now do a clear out of them. Only god knows how much we need that.

There is some hope that these guys won't panic and overpay for ETH's ex-band buddies towards the end of the window. I heard Gary say in the last Stick to Football from Berlin that from what he knows of Ashworth there won't be any panic Casemiro or Antony signings for 70m-80m this time around. Keeping my fingers crossed that he is right and we stick to our guns. I rather spend another season in mediocrity then get more of ETH's signings and spend the next 3 in mediocrity.

I am a bit miffed myself that we are not prudent with the outgoings. We should know we are not going to get the valuation we desire for these utterly mediocre players and would need to take some hit on the wages too. We'll have to pay the wage difference for the last season of their contract to get them out of the books.

Hopefully something happens as there is time still. Not looking very so far, though.

Promised much by Ineos in the last 6 months, delivered little, the big clear out. Haven't been able to move anyone on, except Donny. I don't regard it achievement to move on a talent like Greenwood either, the deal was rubbish. These players should have been frozen out of the team, made to move on. Let's just say it, what is difference on this summer with signings from full ownership of glazers. We have failed to move players on again, can't expect different results next year. Maybe we will deliver big signings and outs, really doubting it now.