Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody please point out when the mens game has these similar massive outbursts at such a high scale recently?

Dont give me Nick Kyrgios or second round stuff at the German Open....

Generally Raoul is spot on, and for me....being this her third time, they should give her that suspended ban...but that’d be sexism, not justification for THREE open high profile meltdowns at the exact same tourament, the first of which was downright embarassing.

Sore loser. Lost her head. Disgraceful behaviour.

Feel bad for Osaka, huge moment marred by this shitshow from Serena. Good job.

Crowd not helpful either, you’d never get this sort of thing at Wimbledon. Shame to see.

Not the first time either. Has done it twice before in losing US Open finals efforts, most infamously against Kim Clijsters in 2011, when she threatened a line judge and embarrassingly touted her Compton street cred. Seriously, stfu. Great athlete though she might be, she's not exactly an exemplar of proper sportsmanship.

This type of behavior is why I've always cheered for Serena's opponents. I'd hoped that she'd mature as she grew older but now I'm convinced that she'll still act like a spoiled 5 year old kid when she's in her 60's.

Absolutely embarrassing from the US fans at the match as well.

The absolute gall she has to come out afterwards and still say she is fighting for women’s rights and then actually get lauded for it, that she was just being a ‘strong woman’

She got a coaching violation. Ok maybe soft,
She smashed her racket to bits and another -she still hasn’t had a real penalty by here
Then she launched into the most self righteous rant about ‘my court’ at an official and called him a liar and a thief all the while destroying the momentum and interfering with her opponents headspace.

On what planet are we pretending that if it was the other way around and Serena was against some Russian opponent or Asian opponent that things would be the same, that the crowd would boo the official and the player would be treated as anything but a brat who got what she deserved.

To be heralded afterwards as some sort of social justice champion is Frankly disgusting. She’s a privileged multi millionaire athlete who had a hissy fit and didn’t like being called on it, not bloody Rosa parks.

Haven't looked, but would I be wrong in assuming most of it is just fans sticking up for one of their idols?

It really isn’t. It’s a virtuous outpouring of indignation against men and white people and basically in many corners claiming that it’s because she is black and female. Not in any way responsible for her terrible behaviour. Of course a White Russian female athlete would have had no such problems, no sir.

Williams was an embarrassment, end of story.

She needs a ban or pay a massive fine, but the WTA will never do that because of the potential backlash they'll get.

Wow. The reaction to what was a straightforward meltdown (from a player with previous) is actually pathetic. Serena's even more pathetic reaction after is only going to fuel the PC-gone-mad rhetoric.

This has nothing to do with gender or race - you simply can't call an umpire a 'thief' and that too when you're on your third violation.

Last edited:
Serena ruined what should've been (and tbf probably still is) the best day of Osaka's life. Winning a grand slam against your hero, playing some superb tennis, yet having to hide away behind your visor as the crowd boos your success for no fecking reason whatsoever.

Wow. The reaction to what was a straightforward meltdown (from a player with previous) is actually pathetic. Serena's even more pathetic reaction after is only fuel the PC-gone-mad rhetoric.

This has nothing to do with gender or race - you simply can't call an umpire a 'thief' and that too when you're on your third violation.
Problem is we're in a world now where a woman only has to say "sexist" in the most irrelevant context possible and 400m other women(/white knights) are purpose-bred to immediately jump to her defence. It's like a bee emitting its "call to arms" scent to defend a hive.

What's interesting about them ?

Huge contrast between the posts here and what I'm seeing on social media. Seems to be a lot more support for Serena and talk about a double standard. I don't watch enough tennis to know about that, but I'm more aligned with the viewpoint here of Serena just losing her cool and trying to deflect from that. Shameful from the crowd as well. Will say this is unusual from here, she's been gracious in defeat in recent years.

Huge contrast between the posts here and what I'm seeing on social media. Seems to be a lot more support for Serena and talk about a double standard. I don't watch enough tennis to know about that, but I'm more aligned with the viewpoint here of Serena just losing her cool and trying to deflect from that. Shameful from the crowd as well. Will say this is unusual from here, she's been gracious in defeat in recent years.

She was gracious in the trophy ceremony.

Yea, she's usually very gracious in defeat and even here she spoke well about Osaka. But bringing sexism into it was too much. I've watched a lot of tennis and have never seen anyone abuse the umpire the way she did.

I'm seeing many tweets about this incident being a 'microcosm of American society' - the whole thing is ridiculously OTT. It's just a player having a meltdown due to a bad call and being outclassed by a young upstart.

Yea, she's usually very gracious in defeat and even here she spoke well about Osaka. But bringing sexism into it was too much. I've watched a lot of tennis and have never seen anyone abuse the umpire the way she did.

I'm seeing many tweets about this incident being a 'microcosm of American society'
- the whole thing is ridiculously OTT. It's just a player having a meltdown due to a bad call and being outclassed by a young upstart.

:lol: bullshit.

Because we've more male posters here and we don't buy the shit story of sexism that Serena is using to deflect on her terrible performance yesterday.

There's many forms of sexism in sports, but the treatment faced by her yesterday isn't one of them.

A few years ago my wife was watching a cooking competition on food network and a contestant was an incredibly entitled shithead. Thought she was better than everyone in the competition including the judges and got kicked out pretty fast. She was the private chef for Serena Williams. The meltdown from Williams today reminded me of that.

You can't talk to a ref like that. Even if you think they're wrong it was a warning. Williams' massive ego cost her today.

I feel embarrassed for Serena. She totally lost control, and ruined Osaka's well deserved victory.

I understand where she's coming from in the context that some male players have said worst and not had a game taken away by the umpire. For e.g. Rafa has reacted badly in the past to Uncle Toni being called out for coaching during play. He's not the only one though, players get real tetchy when this happens. Nevertheless, that is no excuse for her outburst. It was shameful.

The problem is that the tennis authorities have these rules but don't apply them consistently across the board. It's only natural that a player may feel targeted when they get that warning, but you still have to be mindful of the rules irrespective of whether they're being applied consistently. It's not fair per se, but such is life.

The crowd was also disgraceful. Poor Osaka after she played brilliantly. That girl will be winning more slams for sure.

Pretty disgusting from Serena. Shows how her mind works doesnt it? Off the court she plays the champion of equal rights, on the court it's "Bow down to my moral superiority or feel my wrath". She uses sexism as an a weapon and then threatens that he should never official a match with her again? :lol:

Of course, her blind legion of fanatics won't question the disgraceful behaviour of using the things she fights against (sexism) as a weapon to shoot someone down when they do something they don't like. The umpire was overzealous with the initial call, but he 100% has my respect in standing up to the "GOAT" and her disgusting intimidation tactics. She knew just what she was doing, playing the sexism card to get the moral highground. No doubt she already knew she'd have thousands of tweets in her favour the next day.

I can't defend Serena, the way she acted was just too much. If she'd let it go and blown off in her press conference then fair enough, but it ruined the rest of the match for everyone. Umpire was overzealous imo and a more subtle approach may have been more appropriate, but I don't think you can criticise him much more than that

Except this was never just about being ‘emotional’ or ‘outspoken’.

This is the third time she’s thrown a tantrum in a USO final. She only got the game penalty on the third warning after abusing the umpire for ages. You may not agree with the rules, but the moment you entered competition, you abide by it. Flat out impugning the umpire character then making out that you are the oppressed is frankly absurd.

Except this was never just about being ‘emotional’ or ‘outspoken’.

This is the third time she’s thrown a tantrum in a USO final. She only got the game penalty on the third warning after abusing the umpire for ages. You may not agree with the rules, but the moment you entered competition, you abide by it. Flat out impugning the umpire character then making out that you are the oppressed is frankly absurd.
Exactly. At the USO she constantly acts like a massive arsehole. Well I guess this just another to add to the long list.

An incident like this was always going to spark controversy.
Loads of people out there trying way too hard to find something in this to fit their agenda as per usual.

Exactly. At the USO she constantly acts like a massive arsehole. Well I guess this just another to add to the long list.
I’m sure all these behaviors are purely because she is a black woman.

• 2009 semi-final vs Kim Clijsters: Williams threatens to shove the ball down the throat of a lineswoman who called her for a foot fault, earning her second violation of the match. She's penalised a point, which hands the match to Clijsters. Loses 6-4, 7-5.
  • 2011 final vs Sam Stosur: Williams shouts as Stosur is trying to return a ball. Because Stosur had a play and the shout was intentional, she's penalised a point and incorrectly says umpire Eva Asderaki was "the one that screwed me over last time here". Calls her "a hater", "a loser" and "unattractive inside". Loses 6-2, 6-3.
  • 2018 final vs Naomi Osaka: Receives three code violations — coaching, racquet abuse, verbal abuse — in the second set, losing a point then a game. She says this wouldn't have happened if she was a man. Loses 6-2, 6-4.

I cannot believe this is being reported in the media as Serena being in the right and the hero of the story standing up to sexism for Mothers everywhere. She really can do no wrong.

She had a meltdown because she was losing and her ego couldn't take it. She was embarrassing.

But has anyone mentioned she’s a mother? I mean it’s strange she mentions that to the ref.

I cannot believe this is being reported in the media as Serena being in the right and the hero of the story standing up to sexism for Mothers everywhere. She really can do no wrong.

She had a meltdown because she was losing and her ego couldn't take it. She was embarrassing.
Yeah it's strange. I've seen a lot of people defending her, knowing full well they didn't watch the match or understand the context.

Anyone who watched the match from that first violation would have felt uncomfortable. I think Serena did have a point but she went about in the wrong way and everyone suffered because of it.

The world is bonkers. Genuinely bonkers. Acting like a bully and a spoilt brat (par for the course for Williams) is now being placed on a pedestal in the fight against sexism and chauvinism. Honestly, we've absolutely fecked it.

On court coaching is a code violation and players have been penalised before. Smashing a racket is a code violation and many (if not all) players are given code violations for this. I've watched Andy Murray in more or less all of his matches for over ten years and can vouch for this.

Abusing a referee through threatening to undermine their career and questioning their integrity is also a code violation. Ramos merely applied the law to a sportsperson that is well above their station.

Being a woman (or having a daughter) had absolutely nothing to do with Williams being penalised. Only her pathetic behaviour.

Naomi Osaka is a black woman from Japan, by the way. Somehow she managed not to be penalised for that injustice. Just Williams.

Players from within tennis need to call this as it is, because the narrative this morning is atrocious.

Haven't looked, but would I be wrong in assuming most of it is just fans sticking up for one of their idols?

Women like Ellen Degeneres and Billie Jean King are praising Williams on Twitter as if she's some sort of freedom fighter. All after she quite literally took a tantrum for not complying to the laws of her game.

If Tiger Woods was to be given a one stroke penalty tonight, started crying and screaming like a banshee towards the match referee, he'd be demolished far and wide.

If Paul Pogba was to be given a red card, start crying, accuse Martin Atkinson of being a liar and a cheat, and physically damage playing equipment on the pitch then he would also be torn apart. Irrespective of the nature of the initial offence.

If Ronnie O'Sullivan double hit the white, snapped his snooker cue and launched into a viscous tirade against the match official (God help him if it was Michaela Tabb) he too would be torn a new arsehole.

Serena Williams is being paraded as some sort of warped perception of a suffragette.

Women like Ellen Degeneres and Billie Jean King are praising Williams on Twitter as if she's some sort of freedom fighter. All after she quite literally took a tantrum for not complying to the laws of her game.

If Tiger Woods was to be given a one stroke penalty tonight, started crying and screaming like a banshee towards the match referee, he'd be demolished far and wide.

If Paul Pogba was to be given a red card, start crying, accuse Martin Atkinson of being a liar and a cheat, and physically damage playing equipment on the pitch then he would also be torn apart. Irrespective of the nature of the initial offence.

If Ronnie O'Sullivan snapped his double hit the white, snapped his snooker cue and launched into a viscous tirade against the match official (God help him if it was Michaela Tabb) he too would be torn a new arsehole.

Serena Williams is being paraded as some sort of warped perception of a suffragette.

Can you imagine Tiger Woods screaming and crying " I am a Father!" as he smashes his golf club up?

I can't see him being hailed as a hero the day after the way Serena is.

Maybe it's because no one makes as big a deal about it as Serena did, but I don't recall ever seeing a player getting a coaching violation. Any well known examples from top players?

She must be the first mother in the history of the planet the amount of times she brings it up.

Yeah, i may have mentioned that in this thread, everything she does is "for all the mother's out there" and she constantly explains how hard it is being a mother and stuff. Annoying AF.

I’m sure all these behaviors are purely because she is a black woman.
Well.....

EnlightenedOblongAustraliansilkyterrier-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.