Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fecking hell. Throwing around such accusations when there is no basis whatsoever just triviliazes the real cases where it's indeed justified .

If you think that's bad then check out the AM Joy segment earlier. Completely biased in favor of Williams where they are basically claiming its a gender issue.

Did the crowd boo Osaka? Seriously?!

That could be unprecedented in Tennis.
No. The crowd were booing the officials. Unfortunately it came across in the worst way and the poor girl was overwhelmed. In any case, this will calm down and it won't be forgotten that she is the well deserved champion.

The whole thing is a bloody shame.

Serena seemed to get ahead of the narrative in the moment but this can't last. I didn't know about her Clijsters match outburst from 2009, for example. More people like me will realise she has form and that the umpire also was just acting to form in his own way. There'll be blowback for Serena from this that will be long-lasting.

On the other hand, I also didn't know about that Capriati match either. That was disgraceful also and I can see where the fuel for her conspiracy outlook could come from.

With all of the drama from last night, I barely see anything about the upcoming mens match tonight which should hopefully be very good.
Really wish Delpo could pull off a win..

Serena seemed to get ahead of the narrative in the moment but this can't last. I didn't know about her Clijsters match outburst from 2009, for example. More people like me will realise she has form and that the umpire also was just acting to form in his own way. There'll be blowback for Serena from this that will be long-lasting.
The funny thing is she only gets this way at the US Open slam. It's weird I haven't seen it (not to this extent), at the other slams.

In 2004 they were some horrendous line calls against Serena when she played Capriati at the US Open. The officials had to later apologise to her, it was pretty blatant. I don't know if that and subsequent incidents make her super uptight at this grand slam.

However last night, I was truly saddened that this great champion couldn't control herself during the match, and ruined the moment for Osaka.

She's right about double standards, but perhaps let it go and then say something after the match in the press conference about having the rules applied fairly across the board in both mens and womens tennis. That would have certainly been better.

On the other hand, I also didn't know about that Capriati match either. That was disgraceful also and I can see where the fuel for her conspiracy outlook could come from.
Convinced the umpire had money on Capriati for that match. Those missed calls were unbelievable.

With all of the drama from last night, I barely see anything about the upcoming mens match tonight which should hopefully be very good.
Really wish Delpo could pull off a win..
Don't see it. Djoker has been in great form, seems back to his best. Think he is going to dominate for the next 2, 3 years if he can stay fit.

Don't see it. Djoker has been in great form, seems back to his best. Think he is going to dominate for the next 2, 3 years if he can stay fit.
Yeah that's what I think as well. Still hoping for a good match either way.

Only annoying thing is we're going to get 5000 camera pans to the boxes and analysis of any hand signals etc.
:lol:

I think I read that Novak already admitted to having some discreet signals between himself and his coaches? Should be interesting if they're caught out tonight:D

The funny thing is she only gets this way at the US Open slam. It's weird I haven't seen it (not to this extent), at the other slams.

In 2004 they were some horrendous line calls against Serena when she played Capriati at the US Open. The officials had to later apologise to her, it was pretty blatant. I don't know if that and subsequent incidents make her super uptight at this grand slam.

However last night, I was truly saddened that this great champion couldn't control herself during the match, and ruined the moment for Osaka.

She's right about double standards, but perhaps let it go and then say something after the match in the press conference about having the rules applied fairly across the board in both mens and womens tennis. That would have certainly been better.

Yeah again, as someone not super into tennis I wasn't aware of that. I can see how that'd fuel conspiracy theories.

Williams is a total disgrace, utterly cringeworthy and embarrassing behavior from a veteran. Truly beaten already, her arrogance leads to calls for sexism - you couldn’t even make it up. Deserves a ban and a fine, the umpire did nothing wrong here - no matter the sex. Even if a call is wrong, you can’t start to act like you own the place. Unclassy

Williams is a total disgrace, utterly cringeworthy and embarrassing behavior from a veteran. Truly beaten already, her arrogance leads to calls for sexism - you couldn’t even make it up. Deserves a ban and a fine, the umpire did nothing wrong here - no matter the sex. Even if a call is wrong, you can’t start to act like you own the place. Unclassy
Already fined $17,000.

Billie Jean King hasn't covered herself in glory with this either. Essentially because men are sexist Serena is allowed to cheat. I suppose because water is wet I'm allowed to kick the next person I see in the face.

Sign of the times we live in...where every group that has a political grievance (but probably never watch Tennis) are suddenly using this to springboard into their agenda of choice.

On the other hand, I don't really understand why she is getting ridiculed. She lost her cool, in a massive match for her. Not the first time anyone has done that. In the heat of the moment you can do things you regret.

I didn't watch the match but if the crowd booed Osaka they should really be ashamed of themselves.

On the other hand, I don't really understand why she is getting ridiculed. She lost her cool, in a massive match for her. Not the first time anyone has done that. In the heat of the moment you can do things you regret.

I didn't watch the match but if the crowd booed Osaka they should really be ashamed of themselves.

They booed the ref. Osaka was basically a sideshow who stayed in the background during all the theatrics.

What? Pretty much, the full quote reads: "I have never cheated in my life, I have a daughter and I stand for what's right for her and I have never cheated."

Why the feck does she even bring her daughter into it? Bizarre.

We'll doesn't that quote answer your question? She's basically saying she would never set a bad example for her daughter by cheating. Think it was just en easy way for her to put her integrity into context.

Ironically though she set a bad example by going a bit mental which was funny :lol:

Few too many mid court balls from Del Potro so far. Don’t think Djokovic will let him away with that for very long.

Broken from 40-0 up... Can't be doing that. Too many errors from both so far, hopefully the quality picks up a bit in the second set.

Djokovic really missed his calling as a basketball player. Fecking bouncing.

Djokovic is an absolute animal. It must be so dispiriting to play against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.