Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharapova seems done at the top level, which is jusst as well since she didn't have a prayer at winning the Open in any case. With any luck the semis will be Serena v Stephens & Keys v Osaka.

Federer hasn't started well with his serve but managed to hold on. Couple of gorgeous forehands.

I always love it when a journeyman like Millman gets centre-stage. People often forget that beneath the top 20, there are hundreds of ridiculously talented players, who toil for a living on the circuit.

Is this inconsistency Fed's age finally showing?

I always love it when a journeyman like Millman gets centre-stage. People often forget that beneath the top 20, there are hundreds of ridiculously talented players, who toil for a living on the circuit.

Is this inconsistency Fed's age finally showing?

I don't think its age related. He just has an off set every now and then and Millman was definitely up for it since had he gone down 2-0 it would've been lights out.

Pretty sure Fed has a problem. The endless serve and volleying and drop shots just dont make sense otherwise

Pretty sure Fed has a problem. The endless serve and volleying and drop shots just dont make sense otherwise

His serve has let him down. Only 44% on his first serve for whatever reason. He also has a hell of a lot of unforced errors more than he usually does, which is why Millman is still in this.

He is frightened of unleashing a forehand or backhand (going for dropshots) and keeps messing up doable volleys. Knee or back problems or just age?

He's not out yet. I'd rather see him go out against Djoko, he's still got that technique

His total fear of really hitting his forehand like this is costing him the match - on so many 40-15s he uses a dropshot and lets Millman back for a passing winner.

What a miss. Geez Federer is going down. Don't like the guy anyway.

Federer is winning the unforced errors race by something like 70 to 28. If he loses he can point to that as the main culprit (in addition to Millman playing the match of his life).

Federer does not look like he's enjoying himself which is rare to see, something doesn't feel right.

What a terrible performance by Roger:(

Roger not even pumped up. Nothing.
Injured or doesn't fancy it tonight..

Now gone. Wow

Wouldn't be surprised if next year is Roger's last after that performance. Either he was severely hampered by an injury, or simply no gas left in the tank. Never seen him that devoid of fight and practically tanking it by the end.

Wouldn't be surprised in next year is Roger's last after that performance. Either he was severely hampered by an injury, or simply no gas left in the tank.

People forget he's 37 which is absolutely ancient in Tennis terms. The fact that he has won three of the last 7 slams is pretty amazing given his age. The body just doesn't have the cardio and recovery at 37 as it does at 31 or 32, so I'm guessing he will probably retire some time in the next 12 months...possibly after next year's Open.

Just woke up, saw notifications that Millman was leading 2-1. Checked my Prime stream and he was quadruple match points. I'm shocked really, Millman seems like the last guy that would trouble Federer.

Though looking at the stats for Federer (Milman's in brackets) seems as though Federer didn't serve well and made way too many errors making more unforced errors than winners.

49% first serves in (64%)
10 double faults (1)
47% second serve points won (60%)
3/11 break points (3/11)
76 unforced errors (28)
65 winners (47)

Just woke up, saw notifications that Millman was leading 2-1. Checked my Prime stream and he was quadruple match points. I'm shocked really, Millman seems like the last guy that would trouble Federer.

Though looking at the stats for Federer (Milman's in brackets) seems as though Federer didn't serve well and made way too many errors making more unforced errors than winners.

10 double faults (1)
3/11 break points (3/11)
76 unforced errors (28)
65 winners (47)

Watched the game while working, from the bits I saw - i
He had 2 double faults in the last tiebreak and another when serving 5-4 up in the second set. His serving was absolutely horrendous in the 1st 2 sets and picked up a bt but deserted him when he needed it.
He also missed extremely routine smashes in a tiebreak and that 5-4 second set and 4-2 up in the 4th. Finally, from the 1st set to middle of the 4th, he consistently tried a dropshot when he had time, instead of stepping in and going for a forehand or backhand winner. Everyone on the court could probably read them, and passing winners became more routine than in a Fed v Nadal game. Bad mobility, never got into position to hit a clean winner or a volley with depth.
Millman basically raised his game at the crucial games with some excellent winners, and just didn't make mistakes. It was enough.
Fed was totally awful all round, and I stand by this - it's good we didn't get to see him bageled by Djokovic.

10 double faults (1)
3/11 break points (3/11)
76 unforced errors (28)
65 winners (47)

Despite Millman's heroic performance, Fed did himself no favors with his bizarrely high amount of unforced errors. He was up 6-3, 5-4, 40-15 and somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

With his pet project the Laver Cup being in Switzerland next year it very well could be a farewell tour from here on in. Hopefully he's got a few decent tournaments left in him.

There was a moment in the break where Federer sat on his chair and just looked like was gonna say ‘you know what, what am I doing here?’ He doesn’t look like a player that’s enjoying the game any longer.

Despite Millman's heroic performance, Fed did himself no favors with his bizarrely high amount of unforced errors. He was up 6-3, 5-4, 40-15 and somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The story since Indian Wells. He’s snatched way too many defeats from a commanding position. People forget that even last year when he was the best player on tour, he dropped match points and went on to lose to Donskoy and Haas.

I’ve enjoyed his resurgence. Now at the age of 37, he probably has another Connors or Rosewall semi appearance left in him but his Slam contending day is over.

He should retire. Last year was all great and it would have been nice for him to retire at Wimbledon. But I don’t blame him for continuing last year because the only opposition for slams was Nadal. He probably thought he could win a few more slams the next few years. He made a lot of unforced errors. But I think it’s more to do with his body rather than how he plays. It’s not holding up so well. Federer usually deals with players like Anderson and Millman with ease. It’s just not those two performances. He hasn’t looked great since his break and even before that besides the Aussie open he was a bit dodgy.

Millman is the last player I would have expected to trouble him. So Nadal crazy enough has a tougher draw than Djokovic which is weird considering the players that were on Djokovics side.

10 double faults (1)
3/11 break points (3/11)
76 unforced errors (28)
65 winners (47)
I think the problem for Fed is that when his serve isn't firing, he's extremely vulnerable. He needs the serve to win cheap points and to keep them short. With the first serve not working, he's dragged into valleys and inevitable errors. He struggled in the first set vs Nick also. At one point he was on 2/13 for 2nd serve points won.

He should retire. Last year was all great and it would have been nice for him to retire at Wimbledon. But I don’t blame him for continuing last year because the only opposition for slams was Nadal. He probably thought he could win a few more slams the next few years. He made a lot of unforced errors. But I think it’s more to do with his body rather than how he plays. It’s not holding up so well. Federer usually deals with players like Anderson and Millman with ease. It’s just not those two performances. He hasn’t looked great since his break and even before that besides the Aussie open he was a bit dodgy.

Millman is the last player I would have expected to trouble him. So Nadal crazy enough has a tougher draw than Djokovic which is weird considering the players that were on Djokovics side.

Thiem, Del Po (yet to drop a set) and then Cilic/Djokovic are a really tough path to a Slam title. Hope he gets it done but I don't see it happening.

Nadal has looked in very good shape to me (apart from serving crap but that's not unusual), it's between him and Djokovic I think. Del Potro as the dark horse.

What a shame.

Federer's comments,

‘Yeah, it’s uncomfortable. Clearly just keep on sweating more and more and more and more as the match goes on. You lose energy as it goes by.

‘But John was able to deal with it better. He maybe comes from one of the most humid places on earth, Brisbane. I knew I was in for a tough one. Maybe when you feel like that, as well, you start missing chances, and I had those. That was disappointing.

‘But, look, at some point also I was just happy that the match was over, I guess.’

I think his age is going to show more and more now. Maybe he can get one great run going again but it's going to be very hard to compete with the younger lot. He's 37 and has finally admitted to feeling the effects of struggling with the environment. I'd like to remain optimistic but it usually gets worse with time barring the odd reverse blip.

Is my memory playing tricks or has he basically cut out what used to be his bread-and-butter shot since 2018?

(the aggressive forehand approach)

It's aesthetically stunning and very characteristic of his play and I can't remember the last time I saw him do it regularly with confidence in a match.

40-15 up on his serve?
Djokovic's draw was pretty kind until the QFs anyway.

It's probably an equal, if not easier path to a slam final than Nadal her last year. His path in 2016 was probably the easiest I've ever seen though cause he had 3 injured players on route.

Reckon Roger will try for one last Wimbledon and then retire....:(

Just inexplicable his unforced errors. Noticed after the Australian Open that he didn't seem 100% sharp for whatever reason. Think age has finally caught up with him.

Have to say last night's match, he didn't seem to have much passion. Just one of those days as well.

I was complaining last night about a boring tournament and then I slept after the first set . I can't really believe this happened

His serve has let him down. Only 44% on his first serve for whatever reason. He also has a hell of a lot of unforced errors more than he usually does, which is why Millman is still in this.

Well he said he couldnt breathe out there, so it wasnt the serve that was the main problem. It was clear to see about halfway through the 2nd set that he was unable to play long points

Status
Not open for further replies.