Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thiem is a set and break up against Anderson.

Anderson is 6-0 against Thiem on hard courts.

Hope Thiem wins.

Good win for Thiem

Rafa currently 2 sets up and facing a break point now

Rafa gets broken. Won't be a problem though:D

Happy for Thiem, great win.

I was thinking much the same watching it. Really difficult to fault the guy that loses a set like that.

Nadal wins in 4. Tough 3rd set, but even in than that he looked very good. Movement seemed decent and he didn't get dragged into a 4 & 1/2 hr marathon.

#servebot malfunction early doors in the Isner v Raonic match.

Nadal played at a decent level again but he needs to find a way to handle players who come out all guns blazing. He'll survive against the likes of Khachanov and Basilshivli but against Thiem and Del Potro it's going to be a lot harder. Also, that serve needs work.

I just heard a cracking stat on Zverev on the Tennis Podcast. In 3 of the 4 slams this season, he’s lost 6 straight games to be knocked out. That is ridiculously poor.
He's lost 6-0 in two Slams this year I think. He's just a mentally rubbish player and vastly overrated. Even Thiem is a more accomplished Slam player than him.

Man alive, Kanepi is hitting the cover off the ball at the mo.

Great hold by Kanepi after she’d gotten broken back and Williams started to swing freely. Could be a cracking final set if they both play well at the same time.

I was thinking much the same watching it. Really difficult to fault the guy that loses a set like that.

That's good to hear. I just saw the result and my first thought was he may have been under par tonight.

Serena looking pretty good against a tough opponent who crushed Halep in straight sets earlier.

So Isner - Raonic will very likely go to 5 sets with no tiebreaks played!

Good chance Del Po makes the final. Yet another very impressive win.

He is on at around 7. Got some decent tickets.
Enjoy mate. I bought tickets for a couple of days at the World Tour Finals in London. Hoping to see Federer one of the days as he's the only top men's player I'm yet to see.

Sucks to read this thread when all the games are on when I’m asleep or at work.

From the highlights, it’s probably Djokovic vs Nadal for the final, although DelPo on current form can make an upset, and he loves the USO. Fed is still alternating between Beasterer and Federror modes within matches so hard to see him beat Djokovic, or even make it close.

I think it'll be a Nadal Djokovic final which will be as close as ever. Maybe Nadal has the edge with the form in the tournament. Current Djokovic seems to have current Federer's number so I don't see the latter winning that one. I fancy Roger's chances against Nadal a lot more funnily enough.

Sucks to read this thread when all the games are on when I’m asleep or at work.

From the highlights, it’s probably Djokovic vs Nadal for the final, although DelPo on current form can make an upset, and he loves the USO. Fed is still alternating between Beasterer and Federror modes within matches so hard to see him beat Djokovic, or even make it close.
Yup. If Federer was in full flow i.e 2017 form, I'd have fancied him to take on anyone. But he's been a ropey of late. Against Krygios, for the opening games literally all he did was make drunk as feck errors and service unreturnables. That won't cut it against Djokovic.

Can anyone explain what was so special about the point? Was it the fact that Fed managed to play the ball? It had nothing to do with the ball not bouncing over the net, right?!
Hitting the ball around the net has been done quite a few times before and is always pretty impressive, but I'd not seen one where the ball was so low which is more difficult to get onto, so both reasons for me anyway.

Can anyone explain what was so special about the point? Was it the fact that Fed managed to play the ball? It had nothing to do with the ball not bouncing over the net, right?!
It's a pretty incredible shot. Of course it has a lot to do with going around the net and that too from such a low point.

I’m fairly certain he hit a just as incredible shot in Wimby last year either against Raonic or Cilic.

But yeah, that he managed to return the ball from such a low position and curved it around the net was exquisite.

It's a pretty incredible shot. Of course it has a lot to do with going around the net and that too from such a low point.

Ah ok, fair enough, the fact that the ball was so low and he still managed to catch it... having said that, the fact that he didn’t have to bounce it over the net kinda diminishes the whole thing. I don’t know. Doesn’t matter.

Sousa is an argumentative fecker isn't he.

I never knew the guy was so angry. I love it when angry players look up to the box and shout and the coach just has to sit there and take it all in. Like, ok, what the hell do you want ME to do about it now?

Apart from a couple of the Rafa matches this is turning out to be a borefest on the ATP side. Second week of the tournament and we are getting Djokovic Sousa, Federer Milman , Nishikori Kohlschreiber ffs. Even the one good match on paper between Cilic and Goffin has turned out to be poor

Apart from a couple of the Rafa matches this is turning out to be a borefest on the ATP side. Second week of the tournament and we are getting Djokovic Sousa, Federer Milman , Nishikori Kohlschreiber ffs. Even the one good match on paper between Cilic and Goffin has turned out to be poor

True.

Djokovic has had a easy ride so far. Playing players who haven’t really got anything about their game and then Gasquet who is a waster.

Del Potro has done his business effectively. Federer should win, I’d be surprise if he loses a set. Millman hasn’t got anything about him to cause a upset. Federers had it easy too. But on paper he had potential players who could cause him problems like Paire and Kyrgios. Where as Sousa and Gasquet you want to match players like that if you the big three as they can’t hurt you.

So far, but if that's necessary to make sure the big 3 plus Del Potro and Cilic are still in then that's fine by me.

It’s shocking also that only Thiem out of the so called young players makes the quarters. Even then Thiem is 25, so you can’t really say he’s next gen.

Then you have Del Potro, Nishikori and Cilic. Nadal and Djokovic. Fed should join them. Last but not least you have John Isner ffs and he just made the semis of Wimbledon too. If Isner can do this, why can’t these so called next gen players? The shocking thing is this has happened in every slam this year.

Last eight at Wimbledon was Anderson, Isner, Nadal, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic, Del Potro and Djokovic.

Last eight at French was Zverev, Thiem, Cecchinato, Djokovic, Nadal, Schwartzmann, Cilic and Del Potro.

Last eight at Australia was Chung, Berdych, Nadal, Cillic, Federer, Sandgren, Edmund and Dimitrov.

So only Zverev and Chung made the last eight of a slam from next gen and both lost because they were injured.

It seems it’s the older players behind the big four who are the bigger threats than the so called next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.