Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

Red Star One

One of the most unpleasant and boring managers I’ve seen in Premier League in a long while. I've seen many former rivals star players turned managers, but he's among the least likeable ones - shit football, shit personality. Villa did a big mistake appointing him with such budget and possibilities, they really had a chance to be a solid top half club and aim for European cups. Hope not to see him again in the league.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
An unreliable source stated that he was driving alone, sobbing and listening to Phil Collins while mumbling motivational team speech as if he was a Liverpool manager.

Dream shattered. Klopp's natural successor flops

GlasgowCeltic

can take inspiration from the likes of Steve Bruce not to let being a terrible manager stop you from stealing millions off Prem and championship clubs

mav_9me

Didn't know where to post this, thought this was funny.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Too much too fast, only got a PL job so soon because of his name... That's how football management works quite often...

For every Pep there are 100 Gerrard's. Needs to go learn management, though I doubt it's possible now as job expectations too high.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Too much too fast, only got a PL job so soon because of his name... That's how football management works quite often...

For every Pep there are 100 Gerrard's. Needs to go learn management, though I doubt it's possible now as job expectations too high.
That's why I feel that Rooney may we'll make it as a manager, he did well under tremendous adversity at Derby, now at DC United, who appear to be struggling, so he's learning some tough lessons so far, and when he comes back to England, he may well join another Championship club before he feels he's done his apprenticeship, and becomes manager at Old Trafford.
I think that may be his plan, but time will tell if it comes to fruition.
Gerrard managed Rangers, a team that would generally win more matches than it loses, and probably have the resources to allow him to have a good squad, and finish in the top two in Scotland, but Premiership is a lot tougher, and since his right hand man moved on, he seems lost, so no experience of managing a struggling team, something Rooney is certainly used to at the moment.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There goes his chance to take over Liverpool. Villa actually have a decent squad, a better manager will get them higher up the table.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Should've stayed at Rangers. What could he realistically achieve at Villa? All roads lead to being bang average and sacked.

RU Devil

Will be interesting what his next step will be. Commentating for a bit, then a Championship club? It looks like he needs a good #2, but maybe his ego is too big to realize it.

ForeverRed1

I think villa are a fairly good prospect for a manager. They got a good stadium, good fanbase, one of the best training facilities in the league and they got money and get backed by their owners. It’s a decent gig as if you do fairly well with them it’s enough. Have them knocking on europa spots, good runs in some cups, maybe even win some.. and get them playing good football and your doing well. A kind of leicester vibe if you will. No reason they can’t.

Threesus

Thank you Stevie G, for yet again bottling the title for Liverpool. And may you continue to have no success in your managerial career.

BlueHaze

Should've stayed at Rangers. What could he realistically achieve at Villa? All roads lead to being bang average and sacked.
Agree. The move to Villa only set back his career.

Not that I give two shits but he did well at Rangers.

Oldyella

Surely you don't think this? He's not a good manager, but he wasn't just given this job due to his name.

Djemba-Djemba

Number of differences between Lampard and Gerrard so far despite the similar performance. Lampard seems to have a clear plan with how he wants his side to play and has connected with the support and club. I never really understood what Gerrard wanted to do with Villa and he always seemed incredibly spiky with the media and never built up any sort of rapport with the fans.

What is worrying for us and Lampard though is we need to get wins quickly or we will fall behind teams like Villa etc., because they'll replace the likes of Gerrard with a much better manager.
Yeah I think this is crucial.

Everton fans seem to like Lampard and that always buys you more time and patience if the fans are behind you.

Villa fans never seemed to warm to Gerrard, he came across really arrogant and sour in any interviews, and by the end they seemed to loathe him.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Surely you don't think this? He's not a good manager, but he wasn't just given this job due to his name.
3 years with Rangers which is a much less competitive standard of football. He's walked in to that job 2 years after retiring from playing because he's Steven Gerrard.

My main point was managing a team at a good or world class level and playing for one at a good or world class level require totally different skill sets. Only a very few players can transition between the two in just a couple of years. Sure you get the odd Pep or Zidane, those are exceptions. Most of them get a big job before they know what they're doing and end up sacked after a year or two. Meanwhile those who don't have a big name but who may have a better managerial skill set have to grind in lower leagues, or as assistants before getting anywhere.