Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Villa were wise to get rid of a man who so clearly has issues staying up

NoPace

I think he got himself fired basically by trying a formation that just didn't work and underrating Buendia, whose movement off the ball to get open is genuinely world-class. If he rated him he could have spent the 17M and big wages they spent on Coutinho on another CB or a left-winger.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he got himself fired basically by trying a formation that just didn't work and underrating Buendia, whose movement off the ball to get open is genuinely world-class. If he rated him he could have spent the 17M and big wages they spent on Coutinho on another CB or a left-winger.
I bet Coutinho is super happy with how things have panned out.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Shame as we’re playing them in a couple of weeks. Could have done without facing the new manager bounce.

Kag

Villa are a worse team now than they were when they hastily sacked Dean Smith. A predictable end to this experiment.

Wing Attack Plan R

This is a paragraph from an article Carragher wrote about Gerrard and his early season struggles at Villa back in early September. The bit in bold is disrespectful to Aston Villa as a club IMO.

''Villa lost stardust on the pitch when Jack Grealish joined Manchester City. With Gerrard, they have it on the touchline. With respect to Smith, Gerrard’s appointment elevated Villa’s profile to a global stage.''
How far up Gerrard’s ass is Carragher trying to go?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
They should give Ole a call. Think he'd do alright there.

NoPace

Can't imagine Tuchel taking it, but they do have a squad that makes sense for his 3 at the back with Watkins pressing okay, Cash and Digne as wingbacks, 2 of Coutinho, Ramsey and Buendia behind the striker, McGinn and Luiz are actually okay under pressure though I'd worry for McGinn. Loan out Bailey and use the money to spend on a CB with some pace to play on the right to add to Mings and Bednarek I guess.

Dyche can organize a back 4 and play deep, and Ramsey and Bailey on the wings might do okay but not sure where Buendia or Coutinho would play. Seems like a bad fit for them.

It's a decent squad fit for Pochettino but I don't see why he would risk it when he can wait around and get a bigger job. Finishing 14th with Villa would be doing a good job but it's hardly going to improve his odds of getting a really big job.

Emery is quite high up in the odds. Don't see why he'd take the job as he's already made a lot of money and Villareal are a better team and surely a better place to live than Birmingham.

Rafa I could see. He'd probably make them solid and a 4-2-3-1 with Buendia behind Watkins and Ramsey and Bailey out wide and Dendoncker and Luiz would be boring but probably more competent than they've been under Gerrard. And Rafa could use the job you'd figure.

Revaulx

Can't imagine Tuchel taking it, but they do have a squad that makes sense for his 3 at the back with Watkins pressing okay, Cash and Digne as wingbacks, 2 of Coutinho, Ramsey and Buendia behind the striker, McGinn and Luiz are actually okay under pressure though I'd worry for McGinn. Loan out Bailey and use the money to spend on a CB with some pace to play on the right to add to Mings and Bednarek I guess.

Dyche can organize a back 4 and play deep, and Ramsey and Bailey on the wings might do okay but not sure where Buendia or Coutinho would play. Seems like a bad fit for them.

It's a decent squad fit for Pochettino but I don't see why he would risk it when he can wait around and get a bigger job. Finishing 14th with Villa would be doing a good job but it's hardly going to improve his odds of getting a really big job.

Emery is quite high up in the odds. Don't see why he'd take the job as he's already made a lot of money and Villareal are a better team and surely a better place to live than Birmingham.

Rafa I could see. He'd probably make them solid and a 4-2-3-1 with Buendia behind Watkins and Ramsey and Bailey out wide and Dendoncker and Luiz would be boring but probably more competent than they've been under Gerrard. And Rafa could use the job you'd figure.
Some interesting thoughts here.

Surely they won’t go for Rafa though, following his disastrous stint at Everton? He seemed to be appointed there on the grounds that he’d “make them solid” but he failed miserably. Another ex-Liverpool “legend” would be the last thing the Villa fans would want in any case.

Trequarista10

I feel smug as during pre-season everyone was saying Lampard was going to be sacked and Gerrard is a decent manager who will easily secure top half with Villa, and I predicted that Lampard would outlast Gerrard. Go me!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I feel smug as during pre-season everyone was saying Lampard was going to be sacked and Gerrard is a decent manager who will easily secure top half with Villa, and I predicted that Lampard would outlast Gerrard. Go me!
To be fair, that's a coin toss right there. Lampard might go any second.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
When he was in Scotland, it was always rumoured that Michael Beale was the brains behind Rangers league win.

It looks more likely that this was the case.

phelans shorts

If anyone thought Gerrard was lasting they must have missed last season, the wheels were already well off. I thought Lampard would outlast him through to maybe January based on good will, but to be fair Everton have done decent so far this season.

Rodgers and Tuchel were my others I expected gone by January, and I’m feeling pretty confident I’ll end up with 3 out of 4, which would have me fairly smug.