Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
If they want someone with the experience of having managed in the CL, they should get Neil Lennon.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
3 years with Rangers which is a much less competitive standard of football. He's walked in to that job 2 years after retiring from playing because he's Steven Gerrard.

My main point was managing a team at a good or world class level and playing for one at a good or world class level require totally different skill sets. Only a very few players can transition between the two in just a couple of years. Sure you get the odd Pep or Zidane, those are exceptions. Most of them get a big job before they know what they're doing and end up sacked after a year or two. Meanwhile those who don't have a big name but who may have a better managerial skill set have to grind in lower leagues, or as assistants before getting anywhere.
The standard in the SPL is lower but he managed to take an appalling side in Europe the seasons before to a decent side and a last 16 regular in the EL. He also broke up the monopoly Celtic built in the league which was no easy feat either.

You are making it sound like he did nothing. I would argue his credentials are just as good, if not better than the likes of Ole, Lampard and Arteta.

I don’t like him but there is a decent manager in there, but perhaps not at this level. It was worth a gamble by Villa and it’s now right to sack him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Took them long enough, championship should be his next stop, that may be his level and im not even sure about that.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The standard in the SPL is lower but he managed to take an appalling side in Europe the seasons before to a decent side and a last 16 regular in the EL. He also broke up the monopoly Celtic built in the league which was no easy feat either.

You are making it sound like he did nothing. I would argue his credentials are just as good, if not better than the likes of Ole, Lampard and Arteta.

I don’t like him but there is a decent manager in there, but perhaps not at this level. It was worth a gamble by Villa and it’s now right to sack him.
Ole, Lampard and Arteta are pretty much the same. Ole sacked already, Lampard in a similar position in the table to Gerrard, Arteta got 3 years experience with Pep at least, 8th, 8th, 5th finishes, hard tearing trees up. At least signs of progress.

All these guys got a leg up because they were famous players, regardless of if they actually had any managerial ability or not. That is how football works, generally. There might be lesser known managers who are capable of doing a much better job, few clubs give the likes of Potter a chance. Seems in leagues abroad there is more scope for lesser known managers to make it.

Red Star One

Ole did cut his teeth at 'lower level' football and did rather well at it. Couldn't make the jump to the PL though, he did well at United for several months.
It’s a pointless discussion really - both were completely out of their depth at the PL level and both were found out. Only given chance for their past footballing career - sometimes you get a Pep, sometime you get an Ole or Stevie. Both surely don’t deserve another shot at the top level

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It’s a pointless discussion really - both were completely out of their depth at the PL level and both were found out. Only given chance for their past footballing career - sometimes you get a Pep, sometime you get an Ole or Stevie. Both surely don’t deserve another shot at the top level
Stevie will never have managing a huge club for 3 years on his CV, not ever

Okey

I was really hoping we put the final nail in his coffin in a couple weeks. So does this mean he doesn't go to stink up Anfield after Klopp? I'm sad if so.

NoPace

Some interesting thoughts here.

Surely they won’t go for Rafa though, following his disastrous stint at Everton? He seemed to be appointed there on the grounds that he’d “make them solid” but he failed miserably. Another ex-Liverpool “legend” would be the last thing the Villa fans would want in any case.
I forgot about the Liverpool thing linking him to Gerrard.

My guess is they miss out on Amorim but get a sexy young manager like Knutsen or Haise, who seem to have been on the Brighton short list. Not sure Villa should be thinking they'll make a better decision for a hire than Brighton would for an interview.

NoPace

It seems crazy in english football, but in hindsight he should have offered Beale a split of wages and the job to stay. A couple of Scandi teams do it. Reminds me of the Damned United and Clough needing to acknowledge how important Taylor was to him.

lsd

The Oracle
Well we know the players certainly didn't like him after the result today

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
What a response from the players. I don't want to speculate too much, but surely there must be a sense a relief and newfound positivity when you win 4-0 right after the manager gets sacked. They had only scored 7 goals in 11 games before today and Brentford were 6 points ahead.

Mike Smalling

Of course, we play them twice before the World Cup. Fecking typical we couldn't get them under the Gerrard regime - now we get the new manager bounce instead.

lsd

The Oracle

Anyone would have won the league with Rangers that year. Celtic imploded and it was only Rangers to lose

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone would have won the league with Rangers that year. Celtic imploded and it was only Rangers to lose
The year before Rangers were on track to win it and they imploded. He did well to get back on track and win it when they did. His european record was also very good. Let's not just rewrite history. He and his team did a very good job up there but he is probably not a good PL manager.

Wilt

Doubt many would have thought Gerrard sacked before Lampard

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Of course, we play them twice before the World Cup. Fecking typical we couldn't get them under the Gerrard regime - now we get the new manager bounce instead.
Will they have a new manager by then? Seems it's pretty tricky to get a decent manager in for mid table clubs these days. I think it's high time we smash them proper.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Villa flying without Sir Slippy. Hilarious to see that he was a weight around their necks.

Chairman Steve

This time last year when he was hired by Villa, I swear the English media were lauding him as the Klopp successor at Liverpool straight out the door and Villa was just a stepping stone to that.

Never change, English media. You provide some great laughs.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
This time last year when he was hired by Villa, I swear the English media were lauding him as the Klopp successor at Liverpool straight out the door and Villa was just a stepping stone to that.

Never change, English media. You provide some great laughs.
Unai Emery Pep successor

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I wonder where he'll end up next.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’ll get a top half Championship job, if he’s minded to. Or maybe back to Rangers if VB moves on.

Skills

Snitch
He’ll get a top half Championship job, if he’s minded to. Or maybe back to Rangers if VB moves on.
He's a bit picky with location though isn't he? Seems like his family still live in the North West, and he stays in between.

I can imagine just settling for a youth team job again at Liverpool.