Film Star Wars

Nah the A-Team was light escapism for it's time, plus if anything it had far better characterisation than Star Wars which, as Spoony pointed out, had one multi-dimensional character.

Plus no ones trying to put that on a par with the Wire or The Sopranos in claiming it's genius or legendary. The A-Team was exactly what it was, camp silly melodrama, and it was very good at it. As was Star Wars too. Which was basically a sort of A-Team in space. But less funny and in sillier outfits.

I never said Star Wars was crap btw. It's just rather ordinary, SFX aside.

I've no idea what you're trying to say with that analogy.

The visual aspects of Star Wars were very good IMO. It's everything else where it falls down.

You have to know that it was made in the 1980's and the original trilogy still held well even compared to the 2000's movies.

Back then every kids pretended they're luke with the lightsaber, i know i did

It was made in the 1977 well the first one was.
I am 40+ and was excited when I first saw the trailer , I was 13 at the time and paid to see it 3 times in a week.
I have watched then all many many time and will watch then many many more times.
I hate the way they are messed around with and bought them when they came out but none more , but I will buy the Blu ray versions.

Did I win?

50274_190844143528_2821955_n.jpg

:lol: No. I decided there was no point argueing over something so subjective.

Having said that Indiana Jones isn't exactly full of multi dimensional characters so I'm not sure why you put that above Star Wars so easily. I'd argue the likes of Luke, Vader, Obi Wan have more depth to them than the Indiana Jones supporting act.

Obi Wan > Sallah or Marcus sure...Everyone else, nah. Plus Indie is by far a better main character than Luke...Or Han...Or the gay droids. Whoever you consider then lead in SW. He's awesome. SW has a floppy haired gimp who never did anything else again as it's central pull....I'm not sure there's ever been a weaker lead in a major blockbuster...And I'm including Shia Le Beef in that.

It was made in the 1977 well the first one was.
I am 40+ and was excited when I first saw the trailer , I was 13 at the time and paid to see it 3 times in a week.
I have watched then all many many time and will watch then many many more times.
I hate the way they are messed around with and bought them when they came out but none more , but I will buy the Blu ray versions.

I do not own a Lego Star Was Falcon/Star Destroyer.... :nervous:

Did no one mention that? feck...

Anyway, I didn't bother buying Star Wars on DVD mainly because I've watched them 10 zillion times before that on VHS! I can still list all of the adverts in Empire Strikes Back (I know thats pretty say).

I'll probably wait till Christmas and buy the Blu Rays when they're a bit cheaper. Is it just the original 3 or does it come with the crap newer ones too? If so I might have to make those discs disappear.

They are releasing three box sets mate. The original trilogy, the shite new trilogy and one that comprises of both trilogies.

Lucas has been up to his old tricks again I see. This time fecking about with Return of the Jedi. In his infinite wisdom he's thought it necessary to make the fecking ewoks blink! Blink? Seriously, what the feck is the knob head on?

Duu-duu-du-du-du-dduuu-***-da-duuu
duuuuu-duuuu-da-da-***-da-duuuuu
duuuun-da-duuun-da-dan-da-duuuun-da-da-duuuun----duh
du

Obi Wan > Sallah or Marcus sure...Everyone else, nah. Plus Indie is by far a better main character than Luke...Or Han...Or the gay droids. Whoever you consider then lead in SW. He's awesome. SW has a floppy haired gimp who never did anything else again as it's central pull....I'm not sure there's ever been a weaker lead in a major blockbuster...And I'm including Shia Le Beef in that.

Indie is basically Han Solo with a hat and whip.

Indie is basically Han Solo with a hat and whip.

And he's the central character in Indie, and a support part in SW to a wet gimp, gay droids and a bondage madam with respitory problems. Plus he gets with an ugly bird.

Thanks for correcting me Payldyson1uk

Seriously, back where it's still technicolor tom and jerry, we have space travelling light saber wielding JEDI!

It was aces on it's time, it's even miles better than some cheesy sci fi flick of current time. And you're presented with Trilogy, the thrill and excitement.

Credit where it's due, it's a great escape. I bought the DVD set on the 2004 and man it still feels grand, with the Empire strikes back doesn't feel like oldies, the effect are still top notch

I am holding it my hands now.

Where did you get it from & if you've seen any of it, what are your thoughts on picture/audio quality?

I'm hoping that one of the supermarkets offer it for £50 or less, cheapest is £57 atm.

The Vader 'nooooo' is a terrible change but the other alterations revealed so far aren't too bad and certainly not as bad as some people are making them out to be.

Got it delivered today and flicked through a few of the films.

As expected, the prequel trilogy looks pretty damn good.

The originals hold up less well but look pretty good, considering they are 30 odd years old but the is some noticeable softness in some scenes. Sound is very good across the board.

My only issue (apart from the tinkering) is that with a lot of effects, you can see an outline, where things had been pasted into the scene - a shot of the Death Star in ROTJ is particularly bad. With all of the money and tinkering, I find it very hard to believe that these couldn't have been fixed - looks very amateurish. Other issues include the painted backgrounds that stand out more but that's just the rough part of HD I guess.

How have you lot got it already? Release date was supposed to be the 16th.

Release date for Ireland is the 12th. But like all releases which are on a Monday the shops nearly always release them early on the Friday

Got mine, very impressed with the picture quality considering the age of the original films & the audio is fantastic.

Disappointed by the extras, I would've preferred the documentary from the DVD release (Empire of Dreams?) instead of silly spoofs & people dressing up.

I actually really enjoyed some of Attack of The Clones and still did when I watched it yesterday. At has some good moments.

I am its only fan:(

I actually really enjoyed some of Attack of The Clones and still did when I watched it yesterday. At has some good moments.

I am its only fan:(

I liked / like it still. It's never going to have the cult appeal of the older three. But that's because it wasn't made in the late 70s / early 80s and I'm not 6.

I liked / like it still. It's never going to have the cult appeal of the older three. But that's because it wasn't made in the late 70s / early 80s and I'm not 6.

It's not as good, simply. Both Episode I and II should have cut considerably. They arent worse the average fantasy/scifi/superhero hits though.

If a had to list the SW movies in terms of quality, it'd be this:

1. TESB/EP V
2. ROTS/EP III
3 ANH/EP IV
4. ROTJ/EP VI
5. AOTC/EP II
6. TPM/EP I

I purchased the reworked originals on DVD years ago and I wanted to throw my remote through the TV when they replaced Sebastian Shaw with whiny Hayden Christenson at the end of Jedi. I was already annoyed about them messing with the band scene at Jabbas palace.

I would probably buy the originals on Blu Ray if they released the untinkered versions. I would never buy the messed up Guido shoots first, Han talks to shitty CGI Jabba and Hayden Cockface Christenson stands there at the end versions again though.

In fairness the CGI Jabba actually makes sense and was a correct change by Lucas

The rest were terrible. The Jabba Song and band change really annoy the hell out of me

Is it wrong that I instantly hate people who like the new prequels?