Film Star Wars

1-3: Shite trying too hard, but failing on the most basic level.
4-6: Legendary on more than one level.

Empire is definitely the best of the lot for me.

I agree with this.

Let's face it, if you don't like Star Wars, ESB and ROTJ, you're a fecking bellend.

Yeah, I wasn't saying I was in the age group. I'm definitely well out. Born in 83 and grew up with late 80s early 90s stuff as my cinematic reference.

But there are lots of films that span countless generations, including several from the 70s, like the Godfather or Apocalypse Now. I can still watch Ghostbusters and "get it" even though I was 1 when it came out. To me, the fact that Star Wars doesn't resonate like this, says a lot about the actual quality of Star Wars.

Yeah, it's hard to say why it's such a hit with us. Maybe those of us born in the immediate (say 5-10 year) aftermath of the moon landings and Apollo Program before space flight became "routine" with the Shuttle program still have some kind of fascination for the subject, like Karl May did to Germans love of American Indians. The story of Star Wars is simple, ripped off from other stories/films and yet for a big demographic it is the shit. Strange stuff. I guess maybe it just takes us back to when we were young and all that.

Yeah, it's hard to say why it's such a hit with us. Maybe those of us born in the immediate (say 5-10 year) aftermath of the moon landings and Apollo Program before space flight became "routine" with the Shuttle program still have some kind of fascination for the subject, like Karl May did to Germans love of American Indians. The story of Star Wars is simple, ripped off from other stories/films and yet for a big demographic it is the shit. Strange stuff. I guess maybe it just takes us back to when we were young and all that.

It's classic good vs evil, without any grey shades, it's also full of one dimensional characters bar Han Solo...but kids don't care for those things, I suspect that generation was hooked because of its setting(as you've alluded to) and cinematics/SFX. I suspect marketing and merchandising played a massive part and all.

I bought one of the first ever lightsabre toys. It was basically a torch (flashlight for you Dwayne) that had an inflatable yellow thing stuck on it. It broke after about 20 mins of hitting my sister with it.

I also had the first Han Solo pistol with secret button to make the noises. I ended up swapping it for summat really shit. Really regret doing that now.

This is probably true to be honest. Hell I'm now in my early 20's so am hardly a youth, but I know lots of people from my generation who have never really bothered with the Star Wars films. Including me

Same here.

I'm in my early 20's and love Star Wars. Pre-ordered the blu ray box set. Can't wait.

The speederbike was cool. At the press of a button, it would break into 4 or 5 pieces as though it had been shot.

I agree with this.

Let's face it, if you don't like Star Wars, ESB and ROTJ, you're a fecking bellend.

'that's <insert adjective here> on more than one level' is such an annoying saying

We need a real Sarlacc pit to throw haters into.

Sarlacc-BTM-DB.jpg

I would imagine the whole Moon landing proximity was a big deal to kids at the time...That whole thing would've been entrenched in the imagination then whereas it's a bit blase to us lot...People were actually still going to the moon in the 70s for a start.

And you know, it's not an awful film, the set and costume design is fantastic for instance. Very iconic, original and easily referenceable.

I'd put it partly down to originality, partly down to the merchandising and the "must have" mentality that went with that, and partly something to do with being a rather care free, modern, non-war generation, at the beginning of the age of consumerism...Or something. I'm just sort of making that up. Fads and obsessions are common place now. LoTR, Avatar, The Nolan batman stuff...People get very obsessive over it...And as one of the very first, Star Wars has maintained it's hold over many of those who got caught up in it.

But (back to the point) it's for these people Lucas keeps releasing and fiddling with stuff...Cos it's these people who keep buying it. My Goddaughter sure as hell doesn't want a Star Wars DVD, and neither do I.

The Airfix kit? I had that too.

The shittest figure was the power droid...I think it clicked when you moved the legs.

Nah, it wasn't the Airfix kit. Looking at the pictures of the Airfix kit one..it looks proper detailed compared to mine. I always wanted a Scout Walker and all. My mate had every Star Wars toy you could think of...AT-AT, Scoutwalker, Millennium Falcon, X Wing and feck knows how many figures. My parents thought it was a waste of money.

Anyhow, I did buy a Gentle Giant Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike statue a few years back.

I would imagine the whole Moon landing proximity was a big deal to kids at the time...That whole thing would've been entrenched in the imagination then whereas it's a bit blase to us lot...People were actually still going to the moon in the 70s for a start.

And you know, it's not an awful film, the set and costume design is fantastic for instance. Very iconic, original and easily referenceable.

I'd put it partly down to originality, partly down to the merchandising and the "must have" mentality that went with that, and partly something to do with being a rather care free, modern, non-war generation, at the beginning of the age of consumerism...Or something. I'm just sort of making that up. Fads and obsessions are common place now. LoTR, Avatar, The Nolan batman stuff...People get very obsessive over it...And as one of the very first, Star Wars has maintained it's hold over many of those who got caught up in it.

But (back to the point) it's for these people Lucas keeps releasing and fiddling with stuff...Cos it's these people who keep buying it. My god daughter sure as hell doesn't want a star wars DVD.

Why don't you just feck off then and watch some anime or whatever the feck it's called?

But (back to the point) it's for these people Lucas keeps releasing and fiddling with stuff...Cos it's these people who keep buying it. My god daughter sure as hell doesn't want a Star Wars DVD, and neither do I.

I think you're generalizing today's youth not liking it far too much. I know lots of mates of mine in their 20s who are Star Wars geeks. Majority of them are introduced to it by their Star Wars loving parents.

Also, the later three movies do appeal more to kids and sort of get younger generations interested in Star Wars before their ready to appreciate the original trilogy.

Yeah, I wasn't saying I was in the age group. I'm definitely well out. Born in 83 and grew up with late 80s early 90s stuff as my cinematic reference.

But there are lots of films that span countless generations, including several from the 70s, like the Godfather or Apocalypse Now. I can still watch Ghostbusters and "get it" even though I was 1 when it came out. To me, the fact that Star Wars doesn't resonate like this, says a lot about the actual quality of Star Wars.

Jurassic Park was stunning for the early 90s. People don't continue to buy endless updated editions of it where the Raptors are given realistic feathering and Jeff Goldblum made black by CGI

It probably says more about your own taste or what you were brought up watching. I was born in 82 and love Star Wars.

Why don't you just feck off then and watch some anime or whatever the feck it's called?

Because I enjoy explaining to you how much your precious loved childhood thing is actually quite ordinary and doesn't strike any kind of chord with people from other generations like proper, well made, classic, great films do.

IMajority of them are introduced to it by their Star Wars loving parents.

Well exactly. I wasn't introduced to the Godfather, Indiana Jones or Ghostbusters by my parents. I saw them and thought they were fantastic films.

Star Wars. meh. :smirk:

Because I enjoy explaining to you how much your precious loved childhood thing is actually quite ordinary and doesn't strike any kind of chord with people from other generations like proper, well made, classic, great films do.

It's not that precious to me at all. I haven't watched the originals in yonks. It's the memories of how exciting life could be back then. I actually feel sorry for you that you grew up in a far more cynical time than me.

Well exactly. I wasn't introduced to the Godfather, Indiana Jones or Ghostbusters by my parents. I saw them and thought they were fantastic films.

This all comes down to subjective taste. I don't think its got anything to do with the year you were born. I actually prefer Star Wars to Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones.

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

This all comes down to subjective taste. I don't think its got anything to do with the year you were born. I actually prefer Star Wars to Ghostbusters or Indiana Jones.

Indeed, everything does. But I'm pretty sure if you did a survey, there'd be a sharp drop off in "subjective taste" between those who grew up with Star Wars, and those introduced to it by later generations.

They're actually pretty ordinary films, quality wise.

You have to know that it was made in the 1980's and the original trilogy still held well even compared to the 2000's movies.

Back then every kids pretended they're luke with the lightsaber, i know i did