Television Star Wars -The Acolyte

Which film?

I genuinely can't remember ever seeing fire in Space in SW before.

FYI explosions isn't fire in Space. That's obviously oxygen or fuel within ships that are blowing up, burning and then extinguishing.

I mean, if something is burning then that's fire to me but ok, I aint gonna argue.

Which film?

I genuinely can't remember ever seeing fire in Space in SW before.

FYI explosions isn't fire in Space. That's obviously oxygen or fuel within ships that are blowing up, burning and then extinguishing.
I get what you mean, but it's a space fantasy not sci fi. All kinds of shit doesn't make sense to us with our rules. Even stuff within the same SW universe doesn't add up. Ever looked at the timeline for Empire strikes back?

As Ford once said, '''it ain't that type of movie''.

And if you really do care about the details, the explanation will be in a visual guide in the future. They just throw stuff on screen that they think looks cool and, if needed, leave up to the Lucas film story group to 'fix it'.

I mean, if something is burning then that's fire to me but ok, I aint gonna argue.

Yeah the stuff from inside the spaceship is burning for a few seconds during an explosion then burns out.

That isn't an actual fire just burning away in the vacuum of space that need to be extinguished.

It was such a stupid scene.

Yeah the stuff from inside the spaceship is burning for a few seconds during an explosion then burns out.

That isn't an actual fire just burning away in the vacuum of space that need to be extinguished.

It was such a stupid scene.

People only care about this kinda thing if the show/film is bad. It's not the reason the show/film is bad.

Nobody gives a shit about all the wacky "science" in the good Star Wars stuff. Like I said earlier, George himself said the rules dont apply.

I get what you mean, but it's a space fantasy not sci fi. All kinds of shit doesn't make sense to us with our rules. Even stuff within the same SW universe doesn't add up. Ever looked at the timeline for Empire strikes back?

As Ford once said, '''it ain't that type of movie''.

And if you really do care about the details, the explanation will be in a visual guide in the future. They just throw stuff on screen that they think looks cool and, if needed, leave up to the Lucas film story group to 'fix it'.

Yes of course lots of things don't make sense if you apply real science to them. But that fire scene was just so overtly idiotic, it was too much.

Never mind Star Wars I can't think of any Sci-Fi movie or show that's ever depicted fire just burning away in space. Which makes me think it never occured to any of the decision makers on this production that fire in space isn't possible

Science Fiction or Space Fantasy should at least try to get the basics right and make it somewhat plausible.

People only care about this kinda thing if the show/film is bad. It's not the reason the show/film is bad.

Nobody gives a shit about all the wacky "science" in the good Star Wars stuff.

Regardless of the quality of the rest of the show it was still a stupid scene that took you right out of the show.

Can you name one piece of wacky science in any of the good Star Wars (which isn't a long list) that was as stupid as that fire scene?

Yes of course lots of things don't make sense if you apply real science to them. But that fire scene was just so overtly idiotic, it was too much.

Never mind Star Wars I can't think of any Sci-Fi movie or show that's ever depicted fire just burning away in space. Which makes me think it never occured to any of the decision makers on this production that fire in space isn't possible

Science Fiction or Space Fantasy should at least try to get the basics right and make it somewhat plausible.
I remember a quote from lucas, not sure when it was given but it was along the line of ''In my world, there is air in space. When I want it''

Edit: It was from a book that come out a couple of years ago. It was mentioned was on SW explained YT channel.

Regardless of the quality of the rest of the show it was still a stupid scene that took you right out of the show.

Can you name one piece of wacky science in any of the good Star Wars (which isn't a long list) that was as stupid as that fire scene?
I mean the best one has a big worm living in an asteroid, and the crew walk around inside it with little plastic masks.

Wackier than a fire in space? How about sound in space?

Obviously there's a ton of utterly impossible stuff but I'm not Neil Dregrase-Tyson or whatever that blokes name is! He's the film debunker dude.

This would be an ok complaint for Trek (old trek used to have science consultants, new trek has an actual quote, "this is the power of math" - nauseating).
But this is star wars. And the reason i can't name any of it off the top of my head is because I've never seen any star wars from a science perspective.

But sure. Let's do it.

Routine take off of the Falcon from Tatooine into space. Absurd power, not believable, not practical. At the same time, spaceships hovering like helicopters near the ground without any visible ill effects to people nearby - with the power being generated, they should be like in a tornado. We know what takeoff thrust looks like because we've seen rocket launches. The very concept of a spaceship that's super-comfortable and can dogfight in atmospheric conditions. Very different physics, the concept of aerodynamics doesn't exist in space. It should be burning up. X-Wings?!? Why do blasters make a sound in space???

Anyway i didn't take this thread's advice and did see the acolyte (not yesterday's ep yet). iI's fine. At this budget, some of it could look better, but the saber fight from last week did look ok without going into ep 2 or ep 3 type overkill. The main story isn't bad; also this is the "Jedi are also bad, the best path is the middle" type of theme that most fans used to love.
Cannot imagine a reason for the amount of vitriol that's not just culture war.

Watched the latest episode and just feel the show gets worse and worse. If it wasn't in the Star Wars universe it would be a poor show that hardly anyone watches, but it is in the universe seemingly begrudgingly. The producer/director seem to want to poop on Star Wars canon and established concepts, almost with disdain. It actually feels like a show made by those who don't like the franchise.

A few things that I really disliked from this episode...
  • Sol seemingly not immediately knowing he was talking to Mae, isn't he a master FFS!
  • Smilo Ren dropping the thirst trap, just why. Such a odd needless scene that just feels out of place in the universe.
  • Every scene at the Jedi HQ, from the green jedi master who seems clueless yet still corrupt.
    • The young jedi who reminded me of Gareth from the office
    • Arranging a rescue mission, but then asking a master of "why are you coming, don't you get travel sick"
    • Lightwhip - WHY!?!? I know it has been in some of the legends stories, but we really didn't need it and it just made things feel even more silly.
  • Sol - again a jedi master. Deciding to go rogue to save a single person after his entire team just got slaughtered and he apparently duelled with a sith for the first time in a few hundred years.

Anyway i didn't take this thread's advice and did see the acolyte (not yesterday's ep yet). iI's fine. At this budget, some of it could look better, but the saber fight from last week did look ok without going into ep 2 or ep 3 type overkill. The main story isn't bad; also this is the "Jedi are also bad, the best path is the middle" type of theme that most fans used to love.
Cannot imagine a reason for the amount of vitriol that's not just culture war.

This is definitely something I used to want from Star Wars, and I was somewhat excited by the build-up to the Last Jedi for that reason. Unfortunately Disney has taken that promising storyline and made it insufferably annoying. It's killed my interest in what once seemed to be the most interesting question Star Wars ever posed (even though it always seemed more a question that fans had come up with after the fact than something explicitly addressed in the OG movies or prequels, unless we count "from my point of view the Jedi are evil!" as philosophical dialogue).

imo, "culture war" is also a valid source of criticism when the shows/films overtly engage in said culture war - usually with the most heavy handed messaging possible.

Remember the space ship dropping bombs in last Jedi? I remember thinking that was really out of place at the time. Then I remembered there’s a similar scene in empire strikes back, I just didn’t notice because I actually like that film.

Obviously there's a ton of utterly impossible stuff but I'm not Neil Dregrase-Tyson or whatever that blokes name is! He's the film debunker dude.

When did anyone in Star Wars hear sound in Space though?

:confused:

This would be an ok complaint for Trek (old trek used to have science consultants, new trek has an actual quote, "this is the power of math" - nauseating).
But this is star wars. And the reason i can't name any of it off the top of my head is because I've never seen any star wars from a science perspective.

But sure. Let's do it.

Routine take off of the Falcon from Tatooine into space. Absurd power, not believable, not practical. At the same time, spaceships hovering like helicopters near the ground without any visible ill effects to people nearby - with the power being generated, they should be like in a tornado. We know what takeoff thrust looks like because we've seen rocket launches. The very concept of a spaceship that's super-comfortable and can dogfight in atmospheric conditions. Very different physics, the concept of aerodynamics doesn't exist in space. It should be burning up. X-Wings?!? Why do blasters make a sound in space???

Can all be explained away with advanced technology we don't understand.

When has a character in SW ever heard a sound in Space?

Remember the space ship dropping bombs in last Jedi? I remember thinking that was really out of place at the time. Then I remembered there’s a similar scene in empire strikes back, I just didn’t notice because I actually like that film.

I don't want to defend that film but when I first watched it I assumed those bombs were being fired from electromagnetic rails?

The Jedi not using their senses in this is silly. Why can't they feel emotions like treachery, lies? And these are supposedly powerful Jedi Masters we get told. Literally what was the point of any scene with the little alien knowing that was May the whole time and not trying to tell the actual jedi master? I mean ALL of that could have been cut and replaced with substance scenes. None of that made any sense and went nowhere.

The Jedi not using their senses in this is silly. Why can't they feel emotions like treachery, lies? And these are supposedly powerful Jedi Masters we get told. Literally what was the point of any scene with the little alien knowing that was May the whole time and not trying to tell the actual jedi master? I mean ALL of that could have been cut and replaced with substance scenes. None of that made any sense and went nowhere.
It's a plot taken straight out of nickolodeon / scooby doo, and it's actually upgrade on Boba Fett.

Started watching it and the first two episodes were very bad. Will continue watching it for obvious reasons.

The last two episodes were pretty good, I thought. I'm still at a net loss for having to put up with the first four but hopefully it ends strong.

If you want to think there's no sound in space in the Star wars universe then that's up to you.

I'll defer to this dude though.

https://youtube.com/shorts/R6uh_iZpdqw?si=xU8InYKChrVkshhc

I genuinely can't remember a character in Star Wars ever reacting to sound in space. Laser beams and explosions in space are obviously just for the viewers benefit so there isn't awkward moments of silence in action scenes.

It's also perfectly possible for there to be fire in space if it's e.g. oxygen from life support leaking + a broken electrical conduit or whatever. The 'no fire in space' argument is dumb.

I genuinely can't remember a character in Star Wars ever reacting to sound in space. Laser beams and explosions in space are obviously just for the viewers benefit so there isn't awkward moments of silence in action scenes.

You don't need to remember anything. George said there's sound in space, it's his house, his rules.

I always presumed all the characters could hear John Williams music.

It's also perfectly possible for there to be fire in space if it's e.g. oxygen from life support leaking + a broken electrical conduit or whatever. The 'no fire in space' argument is dumb.

Yeah but that wouldn't look like this.

It would probably look more like this.

Liked the latest episode, there's good writing to set up a new pupil. Sol being unable to tell Osha from Mae is difficult to believe, but I'll wait to see if he actually bought it.

And I have to say I am happy that there's no uncomfortable milking of a random animal in this episode.

This is definitely something I used to want from Star Wars, and I was somewhat excited by the build-up to the Last Jedi for that reason. Unfortunately Disney has taken that promising storyline and made it insufferably annoying. It's killed my interest in what once seemed to be the most interesting question Star Wars ever posed (even though it always seemed more a question that fans had come up with after the fact than something explicitly addressed in the OG movies or prequels, unless we count "from my point of view the Jedi are evil!" as philosophical dialogue).

imo, "culture war" is also a valid source of criticism when the shows/films overtly engage in said culture war - usually with the most heavy handed messaging possible.

Last point first:
I absolutely don't follow any of the Disney/star wars cons and marketing etc. Don't follow them on social media either. Watched about half the shows and all the movies.
I think the admiral ___/Poe subplot in The Last Jedi could be sort-of "heavy-handed woke". It was, in my opinion, a pretty useless subplot too. I don't remember any other heavy-handed stuff in the other things. In the Acolyte, are the witches supposed to be woke? They weren't exactly given a positive portrayal.

For the first point - I liked everything in The Last Jedi that involved Luke, Rey, and Kylo, and wish that was all there was to the film. They definitely could have done something more interesting with it within the movie, or with the sequel... which totally abandoned anything interesting for one of the worst plots of all time.
Agreed it is a fan obsession rather than something Lucas or anyone seemed too bothered with. I think KOTOR 2 did the most with it; Kreia's answer to light/dark seemed to be Ayn Rand.

Going back to the culture war stuff:
There's a lot of "woke" media I can't stand. Glass Onion was awful, and it was made worse by cramming in all the epic dunks on Elon Musk. I watched the first season of Star Trek Discovery and, based on that, haven't seen a single minute of the next four seasons or of Picard. Apart from lame cultural signifiers (president of earth Stacey Abrams, Elon Musk alongside the Wright Brothers back when he was cool for libs, dialogue like "this is the power of math"), Discovery and Picard shit on what were supposed to be Federation ideals - set up over 25 seasons, probably over 500 hours of shows. Earth and the Federation - shown so many times to be a generally accepting culture with zero economic issues - become a xenophobic, highly unequal society because Patrick Stewart wanted to talk about refugees and Brexit on his show.

So, looking at NuTrek, where there's cringe culture war stuff and deliberate erasing of the old shows, I don't get how the complaints about Star Wars are so loud. A lot of it is bad, but the actual content isn't particularly heavy on the culture war. The most political it gets is Andor which is easily the best and most interesting thing Star Wars has done. In the end, for me, it seems to be that the source of the anger is whatever some Disney exec said at some con, or the presence of women in the shows themselves.

e - last point. i do like a ton of star wars stuff - the original movies - the KOTOR games, even SWTOR slop, the old Thrawn books, generally like the universe. but i figured out, around the time of ep 8, that a lot of fans like it very differently. many were very upset with what i thought was an interesting extension of luke's story, they were upset with his last scenes which i thought were great, and they like the prequels which.... well, watching revenge of the sith is the exact moment i became old enough to understand what a bad movie is. so, there's a lot of star wars fans whose brains i dont understand one bit, and so i wont understand why they find the acolyte so offensive.

Last edited:
Suspension yes but not abandonment.

So, the fire could plausibly be from a conduit, and we have experimental proof of fire in space, but the nature of the flames being wrong ( which is just an assumption, since we don't know what the fuel is here) is an "abandonment of disbelief" for a soft sci-fi show? :lol:

So, the fire could plausibly be from a conduit, and we have experimental proof of fire in space, but the nature of the flames being wrong ( which is just an assumption, since we don't know what the fuel is here) is an "abandonment of disbelief" for a soft sci-fi show? :lol:

Yes

:cool:

Still amazed that this dino shit has 3.5 on imdb, rip 180mil. , better investment to burned it down instead.

I'm surprised actually. I mean, I gave up after the first episode as it was that obvious it's garbage, but I thought the paid reviews would ensure it's never rated below 6 at least. both Ahsoka and Obi-Wan are also crap shows in my book yet both of them are over 7.

it this really that bad? The Room is on 3.6 btw :lol:

I'm surprised actually. I mean, I gave up after the first episode as it was that obvious it's garbage, but I thought the paid reviews would ensure it's never rated below 6 at least. both Ahsoka and Obi-Wan are also crap shows in my book yet both of them are over 7.

it this really that bad? The Room is on 3.6 btw :lol:

Obi Wan is above 7?? :lol: