Television Star Wars -The Acolyte

I'm surprised actually. I mean, I gave up after the first episode as it was that obvious it's garbage, but I thought the paid reviews would ensure it's never rated below 6 at least. both Ahsoka and Obi-Wan are also crap shows in my book yet both of them are over 7.

it this really that bad? The Room is on 3.6 btw :lol:
To be fair it has been review bombed by anti-woke trolls. The show is still incredibly weak though.

You know what it comes down to for me? I simply don’t care about the twins or any of that. Their story is dull and pointless within the Star Wars story. The Sith side of it interests me but we’re hardly getting any of that.

It doesn’t feel like Star Wars.

Well, if nothing else, at least in the end we got a Wookiee with a light saber. But even then I’m not sure of the show’s execution as he could’ve easily executed at least one of those guys.

To be fair it has been review bombed by anti-woke trolls. The show is still incredibly weak though.
It's also been reviewed bombed by unwarranted praise by media companies. It works both ways. The rotten tomato scire by the audience is a fair reflection of how utter shite this show is.

The problems this show has so far has a lot to do with story structure and how they broke apart the episodes. Having just finished the last one. We had all this buildup for what the 4 Jedi did, something bad to warrant revenge. Honestly it wasn't even that bad in the end. They didn't kidnap anyone or straight up murder for no reason.

Bad judgement sure, and not listening to the council and just leaving them alone. But they didn't like turn to the Dark Side or anything. So that mystery buildup on what they did falls flat in every way. 3 Master Jedi were "revenge killed" incredibly easily ultimately.

I think there were interesting bits of story here that could have worked. The concentration of the force, the coven, I agree the Sith side also has interest but not enough. They could have dumped the entire Revenge plot. Honestly, had they just structured it ONLY on the Sith and the coven that would have been more interesting. The Jedi could have just been the vehicle for how sexy Sith(forgot his name) got Mae/Osha in the first place. He's more interesting that all the other characters imo focus a show on the dark side I would be down with that.

That last episode was filmed in the Brecon Beacons, thought I recognised the scenery.

Just binge watched all 7 episodes. A bit of up and down, but it was better than I expected. A lot of flak it has received seems unwarranted.

My biggest drawback to the show were:

- A lackluster plot. A twins based revenge is something that has been done to death earlier in all combinations and this does not offer anything new. This is redeemed by good screenplay in couple of eposiodes...which leads to next point.
- Uneven pacing. There's so much talking and not enough showing all through with some episodes having it way worse.
- Lack of SW lore. This seems a revenge story set in SW world, rather than a SW revenge story. They could have worked in some backstory of Sith with Qimir, some intergalactic politics with the council etc, backstory on why Coven was near exterminated etc.....but nothing which ties it to the universe.
- The power balance is all f*cked up. All the Jedi Masters are just lame ducks, the apprentices seem better leading to confusing fight sequences. And some reason, even the apprentices seem to be spouting words of wisdom.
- A useless MC. I'm not sure what Osha brings to the table here. Quit from Coven, quit from Jedi, shows no intelligence or fighting skills, no indication of powerful force attunement. Other than as a perennial slacker, am not sure what she brings to the table. Mae is a better character and her pov is mostly ignored all through.

Honestly it wasn't even that bad in the end. They didn't kidnap anyone or straight up murder for no reason.
:confused: Did we watch the same show? Their misguided actions violates orders from their own superiors and result in the death of 50 witches who have done nothing wrong. Let's not talk about murdering a mom in front of the child and then pinning the murder on the child itself. That's f*cked up even for a normal person, far less a Jedi masters.

Would've been interesting if they retconned the only other Forceful twins we know in the galaxy as Vergence babies.

Just binge watched all 7 episodes. A bit of up and down, but it was better than I expected. A lot of flak it has received seems unwarranted.

- A lackluster plot. A twins based revenge is something that has been done to death earlier in all combinations and this does not offer anything new. This is redeemed by good screenplay in couple of eposiodes...which leads to next point.
- Uneven pacing. There's so much talking and not enough showing all through with some episodes having it way worse.
- Lack of SW lore. This seems a revenge story set in SW world, rather than a SW revenge story. They could have worked in some backstory of Sith with Qimir, some intergalactic politics with the council etc, backstory on why Coven was near exterminated etc.....but nothing which ties it to the universe.
- The power balance is all f*cked up. All the Jedi Masters are just lame ducks, the apprentices seem better leading to confusing fight sequences. And some reason, even the apprentices seem to be spouting words of wisdom.
- A useless MC. I'm not sure what Osha brings to the table here. Quit from Coven, quit from Jedi, shows no intelligence or fighting skills, no indication of powerful force attunement. Other than as a perennial slacker, am not sure what she brings to the table. Mae is a better character and her pov is mostly ignored all through.

:confused: Did we watch the same show? Their misguided actions violates orders from their own superiors and result in the death of 50 witches who have done nothing wrong. Let's not talk about murdering a mom in front of the child and then pinning the murder on the child itself. That's f*cked up even for a normal person, far less a Jedi masters.
Yeah this is fair. I don't think it's bad. It could be better paced.

The jedis do look like idiots though.

The Jedi obviously were over zealous, they made assumptions and like you said ignored their superiors. But the Mother attacked the padawan on their initial visit and took advantage of his emotional stress and lack of training etc. So they were already on edge. I am not excusing the lies, and they did accidentally kill her when she "looked like" she was maybe attacking them in smoke form or whatever. And they did lie to the council for years.

But the girls were in danger. They would have died if someone didn't go get them after the fire was started. They didn't straight up slaughter 50 witches I think they showed the complicated group attack that ultimately killed them all. Anyway yes they were wrong, yes they lied. But the padawan in the future just waiting to die and accepting death because of that. I mean I guess. I found it weak.

I watched the first three and delivered a brutal review on this. I genuinely thought it was hot garbage with some awesome fight scenes. I recently caught up with the unwatched 4 episodes and feel that it’s gotten a lot stronger as it’s gone on. It’s definitely veered into the territory of being decent.

You know what it comes down to for me? I simply don’t care about the twins or any of that. Their story is dull and pointless within the Star Wars story. The Sith side of it interests me but we’re hardly getting any of that.

It doesn’t feel like Star Wars.
I feel the complete opposite. There's lightsabers and the force and jedi and sith. That's all I ever won't out of star wars, so perfect for me :lol:

Has caught my interest more than a lot of the other Star Wars TV shows but it has a lot of flaws.

One of which is the actual release format. 8 episodes isn't a lot, especially when some of them are very short. Think I'd have enjoyed it more if I binged it over a weekend rather than watching week by week.

Might get back into it I quite enjoyed the first two episodes but then quit the third as it was a flashback episode and I seriously detest flashback episodes.

They add nothing to the plot cover ground we already know and you can have one character say two lines if you need any more

Binged this and think it's great.

I've never seen an episode of this and I know everything is subjective but from what I've read and heard it's been universally panned. One episode has 3.6/10 and it's barely broken the 5/10 barrier for any episode on imdb. If this is 'great' your brain would explode if you watched an actually good show.

I've never seen an episode of this and I know everything is subjective but from what I've read and heard it's been universally panned. One episode has 3.6/10 and it's barely broken the 5/10 barrier for any episode on imdb. If this is 'great' your brain would explode if you watched an actually good show.
Impressively patronising over a show you've never watched, bravo.

3.6/10 on IMDb but 81% on rotten tomatoes you happily left out.

The truth is that it's somewhere in the middle of those scores. And it's great for me because it gives me what I want out of a star wars TV show. I'm not a fan of of mandalorian or bobba fett or any of that, just not my thing. This is far my enjoyable for me, I'm not going into it thinking it's going to be groundbreaking art, I'm just watching for lightsabers and the force and I get that.

Impressively patronising over a show you've never watched, bravo.

3.6/10 on IMDb but 81% on rotten tomatoes you happily left out.

The truth is that it's somewhere in the middle of those scores. And it's great for me because it gives me what I want out of a star wars TV show. I'm not a fan of of mandalorian or bobba fett or any of that, just not my thing. This is far my enjoyable for me, I'm not going into it thinking it's going to be groundbreaking art, I'm just watching for lightsabers and the force and I get that.

Fair enough. I agree it was patronising. Just wasn’t sure how it could possibly be great.

I wouldn't go by any ratings on IMDb anymore far too many troll accounts review bombing anything they feel woke or whatever.

From what I've seen is a good show and whole I'm not a massive star wars fan I haven't seen anything to suggest they are ruining it in any way

Finale as again half good ...just the same as rest of the series.

Sol arc was done well and Venestera doing the right thing. Ties up Qimir too.

The Mae/Osha ending was as messy and contrived from beginning to end. Mae was grossly misused all through. Flimsy reasons backing equally tropey plot arc. Osha arc especially was just stupidly written.

How did Mae meet Qimir?
Who was the character watching from the cave when Qimir and Osha leave?
What happened to the vergance?
There's nothing else special about the twins other than their creation? Why was the Coven so excited?

Overall I'd give this a 5.5/10.

Sol was great, as were some of the Jedi. Qimir turned out to be pretty cool. The twins were just shit and annoying though. Disappointing finale.

Finale as again half good ...just the same as rest of the series.

Sol arc was done well and Venestera doing the right thing. Ties up Qimir too.

The Mae/Osha ending was as messy and contrived from beginning to end. Mae was grossly misused all through. Flimsy reasons backing equally tropey plot arc. Osha arc especially was just stupidly written.

How did Mae meet Qimir?
Who was the character watching from the cave when Qimir and Osha leave?
What happened to the vergance?
There's nothing else special about the twins other than their creation? Why was the Coven so excited?

Overall I'd give this a 5.5/10.
That character was probably the dude who trained Palps, which would link this to Phantom Menace more firmly.

At some point master Sol could be even more tragic character than Qui-Gon was.

Seven episodes of mid tier slop, so everything can build up to this disaster. Wow.

Qimir was the best part of this series, and we did not get enough of him. They made such a big deal of the Vergance, but they didn't explore that part enough. Ok it created the "twins" how? What does that mean it takes a lot of power, ok go on? What happened to it? Does someone control it now?

This show is expensive and doesn't deserve a second season on its own merits. If the second season focused only on Qimir and exploring the growth of the Dark side stuff we haven't seen in depth. And only involve the Jedi imo for action scenes I mean maybe.

Finale was a mixed bag, which is the show as a whole really. Some good ideas and nice fight scenes let down by some poor execution, particularly in the two flashback episodes.

I'd be more interested in a second season of this than the likes of Obi Wan Kenobi or Ahsoka, and the Boba Fett show remains the worst of the lot. But I'd be surprised if Disney came away thinking a second season was a good investment given the cost of the first.

Though having said that, Andor (which remains by far the best of these shows) got a second season despite costing around $250m and having the lowest viewership numbers of the lot. So who knows what basis Disney makes their decisions on.

As a Star Wars fan I really dislike the series and for me the finale didn't help. Too many elements that don't make sense who have negative consequences to the established lore.

The two 5 second cameo I found annoying. "I'll place these character here so I can I'm the first to put him on screen... it will hopefully get me a season 2." - I hope.it doesn't.

I come away from the series feeling like I can't see what Sol and Co ever really did wrong... but the show really wants you to think they were abhorrent.

Qimir aside, that was a very forgetful series. The writing & characters were poor, especially the twins.

Hinting at Plagueis was intriguing, but I don't care for the characters enough for this to be renewed.

I mean, some classic kung-fu elements were present here and there, could be really interesting, but it just feels like irrelevant element, in the end.

The 2nd part of the season is basically some possessed LARP-ers disturbing the local forest near you.

As a Star Wars fan I really dislike the series and for me the finale didn't help. Too many elements that don't make sense who have negative consequences to the established lore.

The two 5 second cameo I found annoying. "I'll place these character here so I can I'm the first to put him on screen... it will hopefully get me a season 2." - I hope.it doesn't.

I come away from the series feeling like I can't see what Sol and Co ever really did wrong... but the show really wants you to think they were abhorrent.
I strongly doubt that's how cameos work.

That character was probably the dude who trained Palps, which would link this to Phantom Menace more firmly.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or just guesswork, but Palps boss was Plagueis who was knows "to create life out of force", which is what happened here. Though I'm not sure the timeline works as he was supposed to have been killed by Palps. Unlikely that Qimir would become Palps, so the inference is very tenuous.

Don't think the show at all wants you to think they're abhorrent. You're meant to think someone like Sol is a good and well-intentioned person who made mistakes.

As for them doing something wrong, imagine if instead of the Jed it was the police in real life:

The police believe a child may be in danger from a hostile group of people. They only have circumstantial evidence for this, are outside their jurisdiction and are ordered not to interfere. Out of a combination of concern and impatience, individual officers ignore those orders and break into the hostile group's property. A shootout occurs, where the police kill someone they reasonably believe was a threat. It later transpires that the child was never in any danger and the person they believed was a threat was in fact looking to protect the child. The police then cover up what happened by blaming one of the dead victims for killing the others.

In real life that would very much be seen as the police doing something wrong, even if people believed the individual officers had good intentions. The same logic applies here.

I watched this in a couple of sittings. Its mediocre. Not 3.6 on imdb bad but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The first episode was garbage and that score might be fair if you were judging it on that one episode (which is were most sane people would give up to be fair). It picks up and finishes as ok ish. There's interesting stuff in there, or there could be, its just generally badly executed. A lot of contrivances, a lot of pointless tangents, a lot of bland characters with passable performances. None of it lands really.
Evil guy whose name i cant remember a couple of hours after watching this for hours was kind of cool. But making a cool sith is probaby a piece of piss. Put them in a black cloak, give them a mean looking helmet, some voice distortion and job done.

The last few episodes were quite decent IMO. But the first three or four looked like bad fan fiction.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or just guesswork, but Palps boss was Plagueis who was knows "to create life out of force", which is what happened here. Though I'm not sure the timeline works as he was supposed to have been killed by Palps. Unlikely that Qimir would become Palps, so the inference is very tenuous.
The pipeline works.

Qimir is either Plagueis’ apprentice, whom at some stage will be killed by Plagueis. Or he is Plagueis’ rival under the same master (a bit of keeping two and allowing the strongest to become the real apprentice).

I sort of like it so far. Are we sure the fandom doesnt hate it, because it's full of women and even worse, black women? Ew ew ewwwww.

I mean, it's hardly the Wire, but almost all Disney Star Wars stuff is at least as mediocre.

Yep, I take back whatever benefit of doubt I was giving the show earlier as well.

I got angrier and angrier towards the end at the sheer insult to the viewers' intelligence. Then I started reading up online about what Leslye and Amandla and the others were saying in defense, and it pissed me off even more. The worst Star Wars show ever written by an absolute narcissist of a director. There are so many things wrong about this show, I don't know where to begin - but can I just say this Disney-esque destruction of existing canon to prop up new characters is getting really insufferable. The plot of this show was not affected at all by the 10-second Yoda and Plagueis cameos, it was just eye-candy to keep viewers in for the next season because Leslye realized no one cared about the characters in the show, not even The Stranger. But the damage those cameos do to the lore, and the inconsistencies they create is monumental, and Leslye didn't give a feck about that.

Characters with no consistency/belief, plotholes everywhere, no sense to the motivation of the plot or the conflict, the horrible, horrible acting (didn't know Leslye was PA to Weinstein, explains some of the glorification of Mother Aniseya's mind rape scenes, or that Venestra was Leslye's real-life partner - nepo casting). The whole show was a trainwreck and I will avoid anything created by Leslye in the future.

A solid 1/10.

There's a great illustration of the problem this show has, which is Mae's master unsheathing his red light saber in the first episode. It's 100% only done to show the audience what he is.

Same as the giant MORDOR on screen in Rings of Power. It's hand-holding, our viewers are morons and we should show and tell everything television.

I sort of like it so far. Are we sure the fandom doesnt hate it, because it's full of women and even worse, black women? Ew ew ewwwww.

I mean, it's hardly the Wire, but almost all Disney Star Wars stuff is at least as mediocre.
Yeah, I take it back, this is crap.
This is my reaction to every film / tv show / whatever that was 'review bombed' by misogynists / facists / whatever - its just a bad show. I'd have a hard time remembering the last show that didn't have a bunch of black woke lesbians. So why are they targeting this one specific show / movie?
Its reaching a point where it nearly feels a bit racist itself. Like the director / producer can't accept they made a bad movie so they decide it was the black / gay / nearest minorities fault and it wouldn't have happened if they cast a boring, white dude.