Television Star Wars -The Acolyte

Not every Star Wars show needs goddamn Jedis or Siths. It fit in perfectly with the SW universe, gave us a far better insight into the Empire than any other show. It was probably the awful advertising, I seem to recall when it was being aired it was hidden away in the Disney Store on like Page 3 of shows, while the Mandalorian that I think was being aired at the same time was the very first show on the listing. It was a show that spread in popularity due to word of mouth rather than through actual advertising.

Personally i'd have Andor S1 as 2nd only behind Empire as my favourite Star Wars content.

Oh I agree Obi Wan was awful, Ahsoka was as you say meh. But so far Acolyte has been as bad or worse, maybe it picks up and redeems itself somewhat in the last 4 episodes. I've been meaning to watch them but can't quite bring myself to do it yet.
I did actually hate The Acolyte for the first half. The last few episodes were pretty cool. I'm not a purist though, so someone saying "go to hell" doesn't bother me even if the concept of hell might not exist in the Star Wars universe.

Not every Star Wars show needs goddamn Jedis or Siths. It fit in perfectly with the SW universe, gave us a far better insight into the Empire than any other show.
I loved Andor the most by far, but Star Wars was originially a bit like a space fairytale. Andor, unlike almost all Star Wars media is far more gritty and realistic, like a modern TV show.

I vehemently agree not all Star Wars stuff needs jedi.

it's simply a shyte show for teens. no need to call those that share that opinion racists.

I did actually hate The Acolyte for the first half. The last few episodes were pretty cool. I'm not a purist though, so someone saying "go to hell" doesn't bother me even if the concept of hell might not exist in the Star Wars universe.

Don't know if I've seen that bit yet. Can't say it would bother me that much to be honest.

I'll give the rest of it a watch sometime and see if it changes my opinion on it.

Not every Star Wars show needs goddamn Jedis or Siths. It fit in perfectly with the SW universe, gave us a far better insight into the Empire than any other show. It was probably the awful advertising, I seem to recall when it was being aired it was hidden away in the Disney Store on like Page 3 of shows, while the Mandalorian that I think was being aired at the same time was the very first show on the listing. It was a show that spread in popularity due to word of mouth rather than through actual advertising.

Personally i'd have Andor S1 as 2nd only behind Empire as my favourite Star Wars content.

No one said it did but making a show thats way more gritty, realistic and with a slower narrative will inevitably turn off a lot of people who watch Star Wars expecting space fantasy, good vs evil and Jedi vs Sith. It's just a fact and explains why a very good show got poor ratings.

I suspect if it was an original Sci Fi show on another network it would have found itself a bigger audience.

No one said it did but making a show thats way more gritty, realistic and with a slower narrative will inevitably turn off a lot of people who watch Star Wars expecting space fantasy, good vs evil and Jedi vs Sith. It's just a fact and explains why a very good show got poor ratings.

I suspect if it was an original Sci Fi show on another network it would have found itself a bigger audience.

I think it's more to do with the abysmal advertising along with the Star Wars fatigue of coming directly after the horrific Obi Wan. I'd also be interested to see the ratings for the final few episodes as I imagine it probably had a bounce as more people began talking about it.

I think it's more to do with the abysmal advertising along with the Star Wars fatigue of coming directly after the horrific Obi Wan. I'd also be interested to see the ratings for the final few episodes as I imagine it probably had a bounce as more people began talking about it.

I've no doubt the marketing didn't help but it's not like most SW fans would have been unaware of it when it was released. From everything I've read the ratings did improve marginaly towards the end. But it was still very poor compared to other SW shows.

Was obvious this shit wasn't getting a season 2. At this stage I think Disney really need to can everything Star Wars releated in the pipeline, clean house on the creative side and take a 3-5 year break then reboot in a different era of the Star Wars Universe.
It's strange they haven't done this a while ago. Making everything self referential nostalgia from adults is a complete doom loop. It's a universe that talks about having thousands of years of history spanning an entire galaxy, but every story centres around the same handful of people during the same series of conflicts. If they really have to keep mining it, at least do a completely new story for a new generation of kids to have as their own, because precisely zero are going to give a shit about Darth Plagueis peeping out from a rock.

It's strange they haven't done this a while ago. Making everything self referential nostalgia from adults is a complete doom loop. It's a universe that talks about having thousands of years of history spanning an entire galaxy, but every story centres around the same handful of people during the same series of conflicts. If they really have to keep mining it, at least do a completely new story for a new generation of kids to have as their own, because precisely zero are going to give a shit about Darth Plagueis peeping out from a rock.

They should have did the Old Republic as one of their first TV shows. Or something set in the far future compared to the movies.

After all the gaslighting of the fanbase from the cast/crew, I'm genuinely happy to see this bite the dust. Feck off.

It's a very good show. But was it a Star Wars show? Did it have many of the themes common to the rest of the Star Wars movies/shows? I think that maybe turned a lot of SW fans away from it. Because it had very good word of mouth but the ratings weren't great and it seemed to get worse as the show went on.

I watched and enjoyed it for what it was. And if we're being honest while it was set in the SW universe it could have not been and it wouldn't have changed the story much if at all.

Was it a Star Wars show? It was the most Star Warsy show of all Star Wars shows and movies. That's just an opinion of course, of which there are many when it comes to this universe,. Some people consider the atrocities that were the prequel movies to be representative of what Star Wars should be based on, for example. There's no helping those people unfortunately, they deserve all the acolyte/obi-wan/boba type shows they get!

It was a shameless lore-breaking show, and not just minor lore that no one gives a feck about, but major implications on characters like Vader/Anakin, and shocking attempts to retcon established timeline.

Hell, even the RedLetterMedia crew pointed out the major issues with the entire show smashing lore to pieces.

It was only a good show if you don't give a flying feck about Lucas' preestablished lore and enjoyed hopeless writing.

Was it a Star Wars show? It was the most Star Warsy show of all Star Wars shows and movies. That's just an opinion of course, of which there are many when it comes to this universe,. Some people consider the atrocities that were the prequel movies to be representative of what Star Wars should be based on, for example. There's no helping those people unfortunately, they deserve all the acolyte/obi-wan/boba type shows they get!

How so?

I think most people if they've watched the 9 movies would recognise that Andor didn't have much in common with them in terms of story or style.

What a show that was, and that unforgettable ending, which I almost forgot of.

Should be called Space Wars: The War in Space.

How so?

I think most people if they've watched the 9 movies would recognise that Andor didn't have much in common with them in terms of story or style.
For me, because it is basically part of the original films. Its the same theme, style and the same story, just an expansion of it, not another take on it. Yes episodes 1-3 were part of the original concept and idea, but when Lucas eventually put them to film he was off his fecking tree on his own supply, broke his own rules and changed the theme. It ended up being a different take on star wars that somehow was eventually seen as a success, leading to this low effort crap pumped out today because Lucas proved everyone will still watch it. We all watch it in the hope one day someone will capture the essence of what made the OT great. Outside of books and video games that just hasn't happened until Andor.

Star Wars is the struggle of the rebel alliance vs the Empire, good vs Evil. Andor fleshes out this story, shows us the struggle and the oppression in detail and does it so well it actually makes the original films better. The rebel alliance origin story makes the Vader origin story look boring and irrelevant by comparison.

For me, because it is basically part of the original films. Its the same theme, style and the same story, just an expansion of it, not another take on it. Yes episodes 1-3 were part of the original concept and idea, but when Lucas eventually put them to film he was off his fecking tree on his own supply, broke his own rules and changed the theme. It ended up being a different take on star wars that somehow was eventually seen as a success, leading to this low effort crap pumped out today because Lucas proved everyone will still watch it. We all watch it in the hope one day someone will capture the essence of what made the OT great. Outside of books and video games that just hasn't happened until Andor.

Star Wars is the struggle of the rebel alliance vs the Empire, good vs Evil. Andor fleshes out this story, shows us the struggle and the oppression in detail and does it so well it actually makes the original films better. The rebel alliance origin story makes the Vader origin story look boring and irrelevant by comparison.

Well I can't say I agree but fair enough.

I don't see how you single out 3 out of 9 movies.

It's amazing how a universe with unlimited potential consistently puts out the shittest material possible. At this point it has to be deliberate.

Okay, I take back part of Disney causing a redemption of the prequels. I'm rewatching episode 2 and all the Padme and Anakin scenes are by far the worst thing in the (Star Wars) universe.

Fecking hell.

Okay, I take back part of Disney causing a redemption of the prequels. I'm rewatching episode 2 and all the Padme and Anakin scenes are by far the worst thing in the (Star Wars) universe.

Fecking hell.

The prequels are hot garbage with the exception of the light saber fight in Phantom Menace. I also liked the pod race too. The rest are shite.

Fecking hell.
Like I've said, they're absolute shitebollocks.

It's a very good show. But was it a Star Wars show?

What exactly is a Star Wars show? The ones around Skywalker saga? Or one that directly link back to main trilogy?

Bad Batch, Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Acolyte all only have tenuous links to the Original Trilogy. They are all set in SW Universe though and have indirect links to the OT. Same with Andor.

The prequels are hot garbage with the exception of the light saber fight in Phantom Menace. I also liked the pod race too. The rest are shite.
I don't hate the Obi Wan bits as McGregor is very good. I also quite like Liam Neeson in the first, but the rest is indeed complete crap.

What exactly is a Star Wars show? The ones around Skywalker saga? Or one that directly link back to main trilogy?

Bad Batch, Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Acolyte all only have tenuous links to the Original Trilogy. They are all set in SW Universe though and have indirect links to the OT. Same with Andor.

Shows that have a similar style and tone to the 9 movies I suspect would be most people's answer.

Fecking hell.
Yeah, their romance played out like they were a brother and sister who absolutely hated each other.

I didn't realize Lee Jung-jae learned English in just 4 months for the role. Guess I missed that.

I don't hate the Obi Wan bits as McGregor is very good. I also quite like Liam Neeson in the first, but the rest is indeed complete crap.

Natalie Portman being just ridiculously beautiful in the second and third movies was my main positive takeaway from the movies as a lad, can barely remember a word of the dialogue between her and Christensen, thankfully, was too distracted by her.

Make a Star Wars show set in the far future, try something new without the horrid balance of trying to draw in older fans with fan service characters while also going down the deconstruction route.

Having said that Andor and Rogue One are pretty much the only decent Star Wars live action stuff since the original trilogy, the rest of it mostly crap.

And which shows you think qualify?

I don't think there a uniform tone or style to just even the original 3, far less the 9. Empire Strikes Back is far different in time to both the other two movies.

Is Andor a show that a 6-12 year olds would watch?

Is Andor a show that a 6-12 year olds would watch?
A 12 year old might but i'd say even that would be a bit of a stretch.
I dont really buy into this is or this isn't star wars. Its all star wars and being terrible or mature or for kids doesn't disqualify it.

A 12 year old might but i'd say even that would be a bit of a stretch.

I'd agree with that.

I dont really buy into this is or this isn't star wars. Its all star wars and being terrible or mature or for kids doesn't disqualify it.

Indeed, it being more geared towards kids doesn't make it automatically good and vice versa with something like Andor which was very good but definitely not made with young viewers in mind.

But Star Wars, at it's heart is primarily aimed at kids even if anyone of any age can watch and enjoy it.

Just finished watching it and thought it was OK. Not the best but not Sequel Trilogy level shite either. I'm disappointed there won't be a sequel