Film Star Wars: Pogue One

Enjoyed it. Like a good Marvel movie. Basically the same blueprint we've seen many times, but well executed.

Why come into this thread before seeing the film? never understand why people do that, always stay clear of tv and film threads until I'm up to date

Most posters spoiler their posts about the movie, why won't someone do that for a fecking video? I've read the the thread from page one without clicking on the spoilers and it's been great. If the thread is for only people who've seen the movie what's all the spoilers for

Most posters spoiler their posts about the movie, why won't someone do that for a fecking video? I've read the the thread from page one without clicking on the spoilers and it's been great. If the thread is for only people who've seen the movie what's all the spoilers for
It's not I'm just saying what else do you expect, you can't go into a thread about something that is out and expect not to risk being spoiled, let alone click on a video

It was okay to good.

It reminded me of a Marvel movie in that the spectacle is expected to hold up most of the movie.

+ Good action sequences, particularly in the second half
+ Well shot
+ Excellent CGI

- Characters were largely flat with little time given to fleshing them out
- First half of the movie jumps around far too much between planets and as-of-yet unrelated characters
- The overall tone is pretty dour, which clashed with the franchise a bit
- The throwbacks and nods to the original Star Wars trilogy got more and more clunky as the movie went on, to the point that the last five minutes was purely dedicated to leaving things exactly as they were at the beginning of a New Hope with no room left for imagination
- Some things made very little sense and seemed to be there because 'because drama', such as Forest Whitaker staying behind or Jyn and Cassian's 'romance'

I'd agree with a lot of that, especially the tonal thing. Across the now 8 films in the series, there's very little consistency - the original three are pretty much all of a kind, the prequels were plodding and ugly, TFA played out like the world's most expensive pantomime and then they contrast it with this new down beat, gritty Rogue One.

As for Forest Whitaker, he was fecked, and in no shape to even try to escape, wasn't he? I thought they made that fairly obvious.

I've rewatched the first six (going to watch VII again after) after watching the midnight launch of Rogue One.

I feel like the first three are now like early Bond films. They are very much of their time and don't actually stand up that well anymore. The acting is appalling, the pacing is all over the place and the whole thing feels like it was conceived on drugs. I also never understood why Obi Wan disappears (after by far and away the worst lightsaber battle going) when Vader kills him (oooh, 40 year old spoilers) and yet every other lightsaber hit after that results in either wounding or bodies being sliced apart.

The first one especially is really something, C3PO is just too much and everything seems to just flash by without any explanation whatsoever. Luke randomly intercepts something, goes to some random old man who steals him from his auntie and uncle without any sort of interchange and then they appear in the iconic bar and all of a sudden they're in space and there's some beast in a black suit killing the old man who becomes a ghost.

His auntie and uncle were the two smouldering, charred skeletons we see outside their home...

Jar Jar is still one of the worst ideas conceived (same with the gungans, they're almost a parody of the whole weirdly off sense of humour in the entire series). Anakin as a child in Episode I is unbearable and the whole thing is a very thinly veiled chintzy feel good smush film. I really dislike how, much like in the first trilogy, the pacing is so bad that they skim over really important parts of the story like Anakin leaving his mother. It just sort of, happens. His mum just vaguely accepts it and just gives him to Liam Neeson (who doesn't really have a great history of protecting children) and Anakin meekly sort of just goes along with it. The fact that he stopped and turned around for one last hug with his mum before he left was like an afterthought of 'oh yeah, he's probably gonna be a bit gutted to leave his mum, throw some shit in there for that'.

:lol:

I'd agree with a lot of that, especially the tonal thing. Across the now 8 films in the series, there's very little consistency - the original three are pretty much all of a kind, the prequels were plodding and ugly, TFA played out like the world's most expensive pantomime and then they contrast it with this new down beat, gritty Rogue One.

As for Forest Whitaker, he was fecked, and in no shape to even try to escape, wasn't he? I thought they made that fairly obvious.
He more just came across as a generally pointless character that served only to connect the flashbacks to the present. Wouldn't surprise me if they knew he was a bit crap, hence the reshoots, but kind of had to stick with him after having hired Forest Whitaker for it.

I also never understood why Obi Wan disappears (after by far and away the worst lightsaber battle going) when Vader kills him (oooh, 40 year old spoilers) and yet every other lightsaber hit after that results in either wounding or bodies being sliced apart.
He disappeared because he became one with the force. Same as for when Yoda dies and disappears. This is fleshed out more in the novels, but that's why Obi Wan stops and concentrates right before the fatal blow.

His auntie and uncle were the two smouldering, charred skeletons we see outside their home...

I know that much but he'd pretty much already stolen him and it was just like 'yeah, go'ead I'll hang around with you now' even though he'd barely known him beforehand.

He just takes it on face value that Obi Wan is a Jedi and not just some creepy old dude telling tales. The whole Skywalker clan are like an exercise in gullibility.

Now Obi Wan can use the force to manipulate people's minds but it's pretty obvious he isn't doing it at that point. I know Luke wanted to leave the planet but still...

He disappeared because he became one with the force. Same as for when Yoda dies and disappears. This is fleshed out more in the novels, but that's why Obi Wan stops and concentrates right before the fatal blow.

That all makes sense in the grand context of the series but on it's own because of the pacing of the film it just disappears into absolute nothingness and it's not obvious what happens. You could argue it's all hidden in the subtext and becomes clear in the later films hence they didn't need it to be obvious but re-watching the original film on it's own is eye-opening.

Obi Wan saying 'strike me down and I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine' doesn't stand up unless you watch all of the rest of the series and read all of the rest of it. It's a short battle, he then sees Luke, stops fighting, becomes a ghost, Vader does a really awkward looking shuffle of his clothes (honestly the worst part of the film, he's Darth fecking Vader, it's not like the guy he's just killed has turned into fecking Wormtail from Harry Potter and gone into rat mode beneath the robes and he has no clue of what's going on).

Every major point seems to just fly past requiring you to read the books and watch all the extra stuff they made otherwise it's just like 'oh yeah, that happened, next'.

He then turns up on Luke's Death Star run in voice mode and helps him blow it up, so I don't think it's that hard to tell what happened.

It can when you apply Newton's laws of motion in the vacuum of space ;)

It is possible for a small ship like that to push a large Imperial Starship, but that would be because of the vacuum of space and the absence of friction/air resistance. Newton's laws of motion have nothing to do with this scenario. In fact, it has been proven that Newton's Third Law "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" is not applicable in space when it comes to black holes. The gravitational forces caused by a black hole is so strong that even light cannot escape it. That is why a black hole does not reflect light and hence appears black.

Just some side info for you. ;)

he first one especially is really something, C3PO is just too much and everything seems to just flash by without any explanation whatsoever. Luke randomly intercepts something, goes to some random old man who steals him from his auntie and uncle without any sort of interchange and then they appear in the iconic bar and all of a sudden they're in space and there's some beast in a black suit killing the old man who becomes a ghost.
You must've been watching it with your eyes closed and your IPod in or something.

You must've been watching it with your eyes closed and your IPod in or something.

Really watch it again.

The acting is from an era so far removed from the current series that it's impossible to take even remotely seriously. Obviously it IS old-fashioned but still, films in the 70's will always look and sound like films from the 70's and it's not really a good thing.

Still iconic, still a huge fan, but watching it again in light of the current, serious ones, it's impossibly bad from an acting and pacing standpoint.

Really watch it again.

The acting is from an era so far removed from the current series that it's impossible to take even remotely seriously. Obviously it IS old-fashioned but still, films in the 70's will always look and sound like films from the 70's and it's not really a good thing.

Still iconic, still a huge fan, but watching it again in light of the current, serious ones, it's impossibly bad from an acting and pacing standpoint.
Oh it's definitely aged. It wouldn't attract many new fans now I wouldn't think. But none of those things actually happened. Luke didn't randomly receive a message. It was for Obi Wan and R2 delivered it. He wasn't stolen from his family either.

I've rewatched the first six (going to watch VII again after) after watching the midnight launch of Rogue One.

I feel like the first three are now like early Bond films. They are very much of their time and don't actually stand up that well anymore. The acting is appalling, the pacing is all over the place and the whole thing feels like it was conceived on drugs. I also never understood why Obi Wan disappears (after by far and away the worst lightsaber battle going) when Vader kills him (oooh, 40 year old spoilers) and yet every other lightsaber hit after that results in either wounding or bodies being sliced apart.

The first one especially is really something, C3PO is just too much and everything seems to just flash by without any explanation whatsoever. Luke randomly intercepts something, goes to some random old man who steals him from his auntie and uncle without any sort of interchange and then they appear in the iconic bar and all of a sudden they're in space and there's some beast in a black suit killing the old man who becomes a ghost.

Errr...there is the bit where they kind of get burnt to a crisp.

I'd say the pacing is much more solid in the originals, too. IV kind of moves at the pace of a typical heroes journey from unknown kid to eventual hero. V is the best of the series by far and only VI has any serious pacing issues.

If you're gonna complain about the realism of that sequence, you could at least pick the part where he gets over discovering the only family he's ever known have been burned alive in remarkably short order.

If you're gonna complain about the realism of that sequence, you could at least pick the part where he gets over discovering the only family he's ever known have been burned alive in remarkably short order.

He was genuinely more cut up when the random old guy he had just met died.

Oh it's definitely aged. It wouldn't attract many new fans now I wouldn't think. But none of those things actually happened. Luke didn't randomly receive a message. It was for Obi Wan and R2 delivered it. He wasn't stolen from his family either.

Like I said originally, they're like early Bond films. Long time fans of the series will have their favourites but if they carry on into modern eras then the originals seem so out of place. Not that later Bond films have been great, far from it but there's such a wide gap in the way everything is captured. The early ones are more comedy films and the first three Star Wars films feel the same. I was actually shocked because it's the first time in a long while that I've watched them. They're still iconic and if you're a fan of the universe it won't stop you from enjoying them (I still do to a point, Empire Strikes Back is still the best of all) but as you said, they wouldn't attract new fans now.

It depends how much you put down to the ways of the Force, I suppose you're right in that it wasn't random that Luke appeared to take R2's message to Obi Wan, especially when you consider Obi Wan took the baby Luke to Tatooine and promised to watch over him. But if you watch the first in isolation of the rest it certainly just appears random and things move along so quickly you get about five seconds to let each little bit sink in.

In terms of him being stolen from his family. Not traditionally 'stolen'. Luke wanted off the planet to see where his destiny would take him, Obi Wan was effectively a weird old man who told him a wild tale. Of course, he rejects it all and goes back to find his family have been murdered and therefore Obi Wan takes him.

Errr...there is the bit where they kind of get burnt to a crisp.

I'd say the pacing is much more solid in the originals, too. IV kind of moves at the pace of a typical heroes journey from unknown kid to eventual hero. V is the best of the series by far and only VI has any serious pacing issues.

There is that bit where they're burnt to a crisp yeah but Luke didn't have to follow Obi Wan (or, he actually did for the story to unfold I suppose), for all he cared he was just a weird old man. IV goes by way too quickly, you get all this information thrown at you straight away and then by the time you've recovered your senses it's over. V is, agreed, the best of the series but again there's not a lot of substance to the events, they go by way too quickly again and then VI is well, VI. The rescue of Han seems to take about five seconds, so does Yoda passing away and then the rest crawls along at a snails pace.

Decided to re-watch IV/V/VI straight after I/II/III so perhaps it'll be better in story chronological order rather than film release order? I've never done it this way for sure.

Last edited:
Surely Luke's desire to escape his dull drudgery (something driven by his force sensitive nature) and his ill fated, blue milk drinking Aunt and Uncle's attempts to keep him there, the fact his friends have gone away to be cool pilots and his plaintive Dawson's Creek style staring at the horizon sledgehammer's the motivation for his desire for adventure (in other words, find/follow Obi Wan) in a very unsubtle way?

Any more setting up of his motivation for adventuring would surely have involved the wearing of some kind of printed t-shirt.

None of this seemed random prior to the release of the singularly appalling prequels, merely unexplained. This isn't the same thing.

Like I said originally, they're like early Bond films. Long time fans of the series will have their favourites but if they carry on into modern eras then the originals seem so out of place. Not that later Bond films have been great, far from it but there's such a wide gap in the way everything is captured. The early ones are more comedy films and the first three Star Wars films feel the same. I was actually shocked because it's the first time in a long while that I've watched them. They're still iconic and if you're a fan of the universe it won't stop you from enjoying them (I still do to a point, Empire Strikes Back is still the best of all) but as you said, they wouldn't attract new fans now.

It depends how much you put down to the ways of the Force, I suppose you're right in that it wasn't random that Luke appeared to take R2's message to Obi Wan, especially when you consider Obi Wan took the baby Luke to Tatooine and promised to watch over him. But if you watch the first in isolation of the rest it certainly just appears random and things move along so quickly you get about five seconds to let each little bit sink in.

In terms of him being stolen from his family. Not traditionally 'stolen'. Luke wanted off the planet to see where his destiny would take him, Obi Wan was effectively a weird old man who told him a wild tale. Of course, he rejects it all and goes back to find his family have been murdered and therefore Obi Wan takes him.

There is that bit where they're burnt to a crisp yeah but Luke didn't have to follow Obi Wan (or, he actually did for the story to unfold I suppose), for all he cared he was just a weird old man. IV goes by way too quickly, you get all this information thrown at you straight away and then by the time you've recovered your senses it's over. V is, agreed, the best of the series but again there's not a lot of substance to the events, they go by way too quickly again and then VI is well, VI. The rescue of Han seems to take about five seconds, so does Yoda passing away and then the rest crawls along at a snails pace.

Decided to re-watch IV/V/VI straight after I/II/III so perhaps it'll be better in story chronological order rather than film release order? I've never done it this way for sure.
Luke didn't take the message to him though. R2D2 went looking for him. Then Luke went looking for R2. I'm sure some of your comparisons with Bond films are appropriate but I can't agree with this idea you can't know what's happening without seeing the rest. You couldn't have been paying much attention really.

Just saw it and beyond impressed. To be fair, I'm easily impressed as I go to movies to enjoy and not to criticize and pick plot holes, but I thought it was super awesome and ties neatly with TNH.

May the force be with all of us. If not for the sacrifices of Skywalker family and others, we may not have a Manchester United and Redcafe today.

With regards to IV, V and VI, I wouldn't be against remaking them.

It is possible for a small ship like that to push a large Imperial Starship, but that would be because of the vacuum of space and the absence of friction/air resistance. Newton's laws of motion have nothing to do with this scenario. In fact, it has been proven that Newton's Third Law "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" is not applicable in space when it comes to black holes. The gravitational forces caused by a black hole is so strong that even light cannot escape it. That is why a black hole does not reflect light and hence appears black.

Just some side info for you. ;)

:lol: Cheers! Yeah black holes do tend to just throw a bit of chaos into the mix for everything pre Theory of General Relativity.

No way.

Disney should however take a long hard look at I, II & III which are a giant shit stain on the entire saga.

They could even do IV, V and VI as animations like Rebels and Clone Wars. Just so it's less jarring and dated but I'd see why there'll be opposition. I personally can't watch it nowadays without cringing at times.

The Clone Wars animated series corrected one thing from the prequels which I am glad for ; it made Anakin a heroic bad ass with rebellious tendencies, instead of a love sick, whiny spoilt brat with terrible dialogue.

They could even do IV, V and VI as animations like Rebels and Clone Wars. Just so it's less jarring and dated but I'd see why there'll be opposition. I personally can't watch it nowadays without cringing at times.

The Clone Wars animated series corrected one thing from the prequels which I am glad for ; it made Anakin a heroic bad ass with rebellious tendencies, instead of a love sick, whiny spoilt brat with terrible dialogue.
Anakin was badass in movies. He killed Count fecking Dooku, who was able to stand against Yoda.

What The Clone Wars did well was to portray more how Anakin differs from the other Jedi who are almost emotionless, while Anakin always embraced emotions, be it for Padme, Ahsoka or Kenobi. RotS novelization did a very good job on making it clear that Anakin is more loyal to people rather than to abstract things like Democracy or even the order.

I have always been a big fan of Revenge of the Sith, but the story of Skywalker becomes much much better if you read the movie's novelization and watch the TV show.

Criticisms:

- CGI Tarkin was off putting. They would have been better to just re-shoot with a different actor. Leia was fine though, and we are getting very close to film-realistic CGI for people.
- God that scene where they rebels are having a big meeting was awful.
- First hour was a bit dull, (although so was first hour in the Original Star Wars)
- Ending of Rogue One doesn't actually tie into the beginning of Original Star Wars as well as it first appears.
- Why, why on earth did they make Vadar make a stupid pun? He should have just "for now" and left.
- Yes the characters were a bit weak, but...

Comebacks to Criticism:

- Jyn was a much more developed character than Rey. Although that's not saying much.
- Cassian Andor wasn't that badly developed either, about two-thirds as developed as Han Solo was after original Star Wars
- K-2SO (the robot) looses to Chewie as well, but he was pretty good.
- RedSky says the Ending-Beginning makes sense

Positives:

- Oh my god, that Vadar scene was amazing.
- Oh my god, that moment where you see the face of the death star pointed straight at the Empire Base was awesome..
- The film makes the Original Star Wars better! I think it's actually a shame they didn't merge Original Star Wars and Rogue One together more, because the crux of this movie doesn't actually end until two/thirds of the way through Original Star Wars.
- The planets were very good. They weren't overtly CGI, they looked beautiful... everything you could want.
- Much better than TFA. Original script, no stupid light saber fights (not all light saber fights are stupid, some are) or unbelievable plot holes.
- That Vadar scene x2.

Last edited:
I liked The Force Awakens better tbh. I didn't really feel anything for the characters in this one, making most of the battle scenes a bit of a chore.

How so? I thought it was perfect.
I thought so too. It is pretty good. Only thing is some of the dialogue seems a bit off in Original Star Wars now.

It all depends, Original Star Wars takes place, say, 2 weeks after Rogue One, then it all makes sense. Vadar has finally caught up with the ship, but they are claiming they are on a diplomatic mission to Alderon and they don't know what he's on about.

If it takes place 10 minutes after Rogue One though, it's a little bit silly. Leia pretending she's on a diplomatic mission to Alderon when they were just in a massive space battle...

I thought so too. It is pretty good. Only thing is some of the dialogue seems a bit off in Original Star Wars now.

It all depends, Original Star Wars takes place, say, 2 weeks after Rogue One, then it all makes sense. Vadar has finally caught up with the ship, but they are claiming they are on a diplomatic mission to Alderon and they don't know what he's on about.

If it takes place 10 minutes after Rogue One though, it's a little bit silly. Leia pretending she's on a diplomatic mission to Alderon when they were just in a massive space battle...

How would Vader know its that ship though? Lets assume they have a number plate (Ship ID/Tag) then the Rebels would use fake ones during battles for this exact reason. So they can then switch them up after a battle and claim innocence.

If however Vaders ship immediately did a U-Turn and hyper jumped after the Corvette then yeah it's a bit silly. I guess part of the issue is that why did Leia just not hyper jump back to Yavin given thats the base in both films so would make sense for her to hyper jump back there. /shrugs

I'll go with the explanation that they took off their Fake ID once they got out of the battle and then claimed they were on a diplomatic mission as a last resort.

How would Vader know its that ship though? Lets assume they have a number plate (Ship ID/Tag) then the Rebels would use fake ones during battles for this exact reason. So they can then switch them up after a battle and claim innocence.

If however Vaders ship immediately did a U-Turn and hyper jumped after the Corvette then yeah it's a bit silly. I guess part of the issue is that why did Leia just not hyper jump back to Yavin given thats the base in both films so would make sense for her to hyper jump back there. /shrugs

I'll go with the explanation that they took off their Fake ID once they got out of the battle and then claimed they were on a diplomatic mission as a last resort.
I need to watch it again. It was such a good movie, really liked it.

The ship they were on (a Tantive IV apparently) does look very distinctive. If Vadar was chasing it, I think their "diplomatic immunity!" excuse is a bit rubbish

Actually that's really clever isn't it. If they'd hyper jumped back to Yavin, then Vadar could have followed them back to their base (presumably) giving away their location. Although how they planned to keep their base a secret then, I'm not sure.

So instead they hyper-jumped to Tatooine where Leia can claim she is conducting a diplomatic mission.

I like it

I need to watch it again. It was such a good movie, really liked it.

The ship they were on (a Tantive IV apparently) does look very distinctive. If Vadar was chasing it, I think their "diplomatic immunity!" excuse is a bit rubbish

Actually that's really clever isn't it. If they'd hyper jumped back to Yavin, then Vadar could have followed them back to their base (presumably) giving away their location. Although how they planned to keep their base a secret then, I'm not sure.

So instead they hyper-jumped to Tatooine where Leia can claim she is conducting a diplomatic mission.

I like it

Yeah makes sense really, probably a case where all the ships had different hyper jump locations. To prevent a scenario where they lead straight back to Yavin. From a tactical point of view it makes sense, it's what the resistance used to do in France.

Leia's mission was to get Obi-Wan not the Death Star plans so they likely already had a course for Tatooine locked in rather than Yavin. Once the plans fell into their hands then what safer place for the plans than in the hands of a Jedi anyway I suppose. I think the biggest question mark is why Leia, 3PO, R2 etc. are present at the battle at all. Bail says that he will send her to get Obi-Wan, they didn't really need to be at the battle.

Leia's mission was to get Obi-Wan not the Death Star plans so they likely already had a course for Tatooine locked in rather than Yavin. Once the plans fell into their hands then what safer place for the plans than in the hands of a Jedi anyway I suppose. I think the biggest question mark is why Leia, 3PO, R2 etc. are present at the battle at all. Bail says that he will send her to get Obi-Wan, they didn't really need to be at the battle.

Perhaps the idea was that the big rebel ship was intended to go to Tatooine but once it was disabled the Corvette took up the mission instead?

That's a good point. I can't think on an explanation for that