Film Star Wars: Pogue One

Just been to see this movie, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I miss the opening sequence though :( It's just not the same!

Saw this tonight and was absolutely blown away with it. The first 45 mins were a little bit slow but you kind of need that in order to build up for the second half of the movie. I thought the storyline was brilliantly told and this fits in nicely with the events of a new hope.

I thought the characters were pretty good, as someone else mentioned much better acting from the newcomers than in the Force Awakens last year. I thought the CGI features were outstanding although I confirm I watched this movie in 2d.

The scene with Darth Vader at the end was awesome and is probably one of the greatest star wars scenes of all time.

My only gripe was the omission of the famous intro music. As a 37 year old who group up with Star Wars in the 80's there is no more iconic moment than sitting in the cinema and the Star Wars intro blasts off all around you.

I though the movie was better then the TFA and I will be going to watch this again

9/10 for me. Stands alongside Return of the Jedi for me and just behind my favourite the Empire Strikes back

I'm not sure it follows on directly, because they made a point of showing R2 and C3PO in the base saying "why are they going to Scarif" when the rebel fleet join the fight...so how does Leia then get the plans into R2 without first, at some point, going back to base?
Isn't the line something like "We're going to Scarif now, no-one tells us anything" as the fleet is scrambling, suggesting our favourite camp droid 70s working man's club comedy duo are going to be with the fleet?

Saw it last night and enjoyed it but more as a spectacle than a story/Star Wars film. It hit a lot of short-cut 'that was cool' buttons in my brain but too much of the film's plot rested on poorly built foundations and tried to make up for it with big show-piece visual effects in a similar way to how the prequels did (although not to anywhere near the same extent). The unnecessary jumping around between ridiculously exotic locations at the blink of an eye combined some of the worst things about the prequel trilogy whilst omitting one of the best things about the original trilogy. In the original films (especially A New Hope), the travel scenes served a dual purpose of fleshing out characters in a quite organic way through extended dialogue whilst also providing an impression of scale. Even at light-speed it took time to get places in the galaxy of the originals whereas in Rogue One the hyperspace button basically acts as a teleport designed to connect the different locales for plot purposes.

It felt as though maybe 20-30 minutes of context and backstory had been cut out whilst the bits around it had been left in (e.g - the tentacle mind-meld guy/pilot thing was played up hugely but then had no plot-significance whatsoever) and the possibly intriguing political subplot about the different rebel factions wasn't really explored which meant that the two plot-points it was meant to explain (the existence of Saul and his gang and the disagreement which meant the full rebel force didn't go to Scarif) were pretty flimsy. Another big thing for me was that the characters were pretty 2-dimensional and all their actions were routed in motivations which could be summed-up in a short sentence and which didn't really develop throughout.

Bloody hell that final battle was epic. Tarkin looked great for someone dead 20 years.
Ive disliked all the star wars films post original trilogy, but R1 was properly done finally.
No over the top CGI and silly monsters, and no stupid characters with selling toys in mind.

This is a propper starwars film.

Saw this tonight and was absolutely blown away with it. The first 45 mins were a little bit slow but you kind of need that in order to build up for the second half of the movie. I thought the storyline was brilliantly told and this fits in nicely with the events of a new hope.

I thought the characters were pretty good, as someone else mentioned much better acting from the newcomers than in the Force Awakens last year. I thought the CGI features were outstanding although I confirm I watched this movie in 2d.

The scene with Darth Vader at the end was awesome and is probably one of the greatest star wars scenes of all time.

My only gripe was the omission of the famous intro music. As a 37 year old who group up with Star Wars in the 80's there is no more iconic moment than sitting in the cinema and the Star Wars intro blasts off all around you.

I though the movie was better then the TFA and I will be going to watch this again

9/10 for me. Stands alongside Return of the Jedi for me and just behind my favourite the Empire Strikes back

I'm with you on everything there, except the music (I'd add the lack of crawl to that too). The Anthology films, whilst being part of the overall story, need to stand slightly apart in my eyes. I was glad the presentation was a bit different.

Bloody hell that final battle was epic. Tarkin looked great for someone dead 20 years.
Ive disliked all the star wars films post original trilogy, but R1 was properly done finally.
No over the top CGI and silly monsters, and no stupid characters with selling toys in mind.

No over the top? Most of the movie is cgi. Lol. But they're good i admit.

Ps: i dont think lack of character development is that bad, the movie theme is about a ragtag washups sacrificing themselves. Kinda like 7 samurai sort of stuff.

I'm glad they didnt overemphasized on cassian back story. During the last scene where i thought they're gonna kiss... Im glad they didnt, too much cheese ruins the pasta.

Ps: i dont think lack of character development is that bad, the movie theme is about a ragtag washups sacrificing themselves. Kinda like 7 samurai sort of stuff.

I'm glad they didnt overemphasized on cassian back story. During the last scene where i thought they're gonna kiss... Im glad they didnt, too much cheese ruins the pasta.
Cassian was horrendously unlucky.
Another couple of minutes and he'd have had his end away.

Force Awakens was better.

This is great too though.

No over the top? Most of the movie is cgi. Lol. But they're good i admit.

The space battle in ROTS is an example of what I meant by over the top CGI, with so much happening within each frame that the whole thing just looks like a confusing mess.
Obviously there has to be CGI, but its all done nicely without trying to be overwhelming. The space battles were similar to ROTJ.

The space battle in ROTS is an example of what I meant by over the top CGI, with so much happening within each frame that the whole thing just looks like a confusing mess.
Obviously there has to be CGI, but its all done nicely without trying to be overwhelming. The space battles were similar to ROTJ.

It was a tounge in cheek bro. I guess they really tone down the cgi so many things looks authentic like the 80s sw. Look at the lever and the button is still manual, i mean they space travel and they still use physical hard drive? Cables?

All and all im happy with that. Continuation and genuinity

Speaks volumes on how good thw actual star wars was. New hope was done 30 years ago and it doesnt look cheap at all, infact iirc tesb looks very modern for its time.

40 years next year and they have a 4K version available.

As for Forest Whitaker, he was fecked, and in no shape to even try to escape, wasn't he? I thought they made that fairly obvious.
He wasn't injured and the dialogue didn't point to the conclusion that he couldn't leave with them - Jyn thought he was good to go and Space Forest said "I'm tired of running" in the face of this approaching explosion, in spite of this sentiment not being set up at all (from what we saw, he even seemed to be overtly aggressive in his operations against the Empire).

Forest is getting boring. He's always playing forrest no matter what movie he's in. They should really get a senior actor like goodman or mckellen calibre instead of the smirking 24/7 forrest whitaker

Forest is getting boring. He's always playing forrest no matter what movie he's in. They should really get a senior actor like goodman or mckellen calibre instead of the smirking 24/7 forrest whitaker

I don't think you've chosen two particularly flexible, transformative actors as your examples either though, to be fair (as much as I admire them both). May as well have suggested Woody Allen!

I've got no problem with the Saw Whatsisface character. He wasn't great, but I think it's a funny thing for everyone to have a pop about in the grand scheme of star wars. There have been plenty of worse discretions in the 8 films so far. At least people are saying "why did that character choose to let himself die rather than running" instead of "God, I wish that character would get sucked into the vacuum of space and die" like I was thinking many times over during the prequels.

He wasn't injured and the dialogue didn't point to the conclusion that he couldn't leave with them - Jyn thought he was good to go and Space Forest said "I'm tired of running" in the face of this approaching explosion, in spite of this sentiment not being set up at all (from what we saw, he even seemed to be overtly aggressive in his operations against the Empire).

He needed oxygen after shouting at someone for 30 seconds and was pieced together out of old washing machines. All in all, he wasn't in the best shape and knew he would hold them back. It's a bit of a film cliche moment, but other than that I didn't have much of an issue with it.

It was a generic war film set within the star wars universe, and stuck fairly close to that formula. I'm not sure what people are complaining about lack of development and back story for, as these characters are essentially cannon fodder in the wider scheme of things. The film would have been bloated and over-long with more of that, I reckon. It's not a perfect film, but I don't think more back story would have been much of an improvement.

I don't think you've chosen two particularly flexible, transformative actors as your examples either though, to be fair (as much as I admire them both). May as well have suggested Woody Allen!

I've got no problem with the Saw Whatsisface character. He wasn't great, but I think it's a funny thing for everyone to have a pop about in the grand scheme of star wars. There have been plenty of worse discretions in the 8 films so far. At least people are saying "why did that character choose to let himself die rather than running" instead of "God, I wish that character would get sucked into the vacuum of space and die" like I was thinking many times over during the prequels.

Saw is fine. We've had jar jar binks, at least saw is sane.

My gripe is with forrest. You can pull out most of his movies and he talks acts the same way.

He needed oxygen after shouting at someone for 30 seconds and was pieced together out of old washing machines. All in all, he wasn't in the best shape and knew he would hold them back. It's a bit of a film cliche moment, but other than that I didn't have much of an issue with it.
This wasn't explained in dialogue or hinted at in what we saw and heard, and we have characters actively contradicting your assumptions - why would Jyn ask him to go with them if it was so immediately obvious that he couldn't make it outside to their ship? She was more than familiar with him and his mobility. And why didn't he say this himself when the moment came, instead of saying something apparently irrelevant about 'not running anymore'?

And even if we are to forget all of those reasons that this derived interpretation doesn't fit into the movie, then it would still be bad storytelling - the surrogate father figure to the protagonist who is the leader of a band of honourable thieves dies from an exploding planet because he has asthma. Or something. Not to save anyone else. Not as a consequence of a major character choice or action. Just because apparently he can't run fast enough.

If you look back at the original Star Wars trilogy, major character deaths are memorable, tied to major movie events, and often symbolic. Obi Wan sacrifices himself to preserve a sacred quest and save his friends, while also providing a revenge motivation for the protagonist. The evil Vader sided with kills him, but still ultimately redeems himself through this sacrifice.

Darth Vader didn't die because he can't run a four minute mile and make it to Luke's ship in time.

It was a generic war film set within the star wars universe, and stuck fairly close to that formula. I'm not sure what people are complaining about lack of development and back story for, as these characters are essentially cannon fodder in the wider scheme of things. The film would have been bloated and over-long with more of that, I reckon. It's not a perfect film, but I don't think more back story would have been much of an improvement.
There's sediments of a couple things here.

Firstly, a lot of the issue is probably because it's an attempt at a generic war movie within the Star Wars franchise. I welcome risk-taking but is trying to replicate Saving Private Ryan with stormtroopers the approach they should've taken?

And I emphasise 'attempt at a generic war movie' because having very little characterisation and - by your own admission - having their lives and characters mean very little is not a hallmark of a war movie. Usually humans need to empathise with characters to care if they die in a movie. Well over half of Saving Private Ryan was taken up with the soldiers *gasp* not shooting guns and crying, but talking to each other about themselves and what they want in life as the audience gets to know them. Then the intense and costly finale means something.

Lastly, film editing is not a purely additive art - inserting character moments into this movie does not mean keeping everything else.

Last edited:
This wasn't explained in dialogue or hinted at in what we saw and heard, and we have characters actively contradicting your assumptions - why would Jyn ask him to go with them if it was so immediately obvious that he couldn't make it outside to their ship? She was more than familiar with him and his mobility. And why didn't he say this himself when the moment came, instead of saying something apparently irrelevant about 'not running anymore'?

And even if we are to forget all of those reasons that this derived interpretation doesn't fit into the movie, then it would still be bad storytelling - the surrogate father figure to the protagonist who is the leader of a band of honourable thieves dies from an exploding planet because he has asthma. Or something. Not to save anyone else. Not as a consequence of a major character choice or action. Just because apparently he can't run fast enough.

If you look back at the original Star Wars trilogy, major character deaths are memorable, tied to major movie events, and often symbolic. Obi Wan sacrifices himself to preserve a sacred quest and save his friends, while also providing a revenge motivation for the protagonist. The evil Vader sided with kills him, but still ultimately redeems himself through this sacrifice.

Darth Vader didn't die because he can't run a four minute mile and make it to Luke's ship in time.

There's sediments of a couple things here.

Firstly, a lot of the issue is probably because it's an attempt at a generic war movie within the Star Wars franchise. I welcome risk-taking but is trying to replicate Saving Private Ryan with stormtroopers the approach they should've taken?

And I emphasise 'attempt at a generic war movie' because having very little characterisation and - by your own admission - having their lives and characters mean very little is not a hallmark of a war movie. Usually humans need to empathise with characters to care if they die in a movie. Well over half of Saving Private Ryan was taken up with the soldiers *gasp* not shooting guns and crying, but talking to each other about themselves and what they want in life as the audience gets to know them. Then the intense and costly finale means something.

Lastly, film editing is not a purely additive art - inserting character moments into this movie does not mean keeping everything else.

I think you are over thinking things a little. I don't think every little bit of motivation or decision making by every character in the film needs to be presented in dialogue. Assumption need to be made by the audience in most films, how is that scene any different? He was clearly on his last legs (no pun intended). Obviously Jyn would try to convince him to run, as anyone would with any decrepit relative/friend or pet, even if they knew they would possibly not be able to. - it's a basic human instinct. This kind of scene must have been played out in countless films, so why are so many quibbling about it here?

As for her being more than aware of his mobility, she's not seen him for years and I seem to remember him making a comment on how he had been patched together a lot since or something along those lines. And I'm not arguing that any of this part of the film can be regarded as particularly good storytelling. I just haven't taken exception to it.

Also, I said it was essentially a 'generic' war film. Saving Private Ryan transcended that genericism, so it's a moot point you are making there. This is pulp/pop culture stuff, I think most of us would admit.

Had it been made without its setting within the Star Wars universe, I doubt anyone would have noticed this film. As the past 4 films in that series have been largely disappointing, just having one that largely works and tells a fairly self contained story (albeit one that takes place within a bigger saga), means it has been received as a triumph.

I think you are over thinking things a little. I don't think every little bit of motivation or decision making by every character in the film needs to be presented in dialogue. Assumption need to be made by the audience in most films, how is that scene any different? He was clearly on his last legs (no pun intended). Obviously Jyn would try to convince him to run, as anyone would with any decrepit relative/friend or pet, even if they knew they would possibly not be able to. - it's a basic human instinct. This kind of scene must have been played out in countless films, so why are so many quibbling about it here?
How is asking is there anything in the film to support what you're saying 'over-thinking'? It's also a pretty ironic comment to make considering the amount of mental gymnastics you're doing to rationalise behaviour that's contradicted in the movie's script and action.

Jyn asks him to come with her seemingly earnestly, and the guy himself says he's 'tired of running' when he stays... but what cinephiles should really spot is how both meant the opposite of what they actually said and Space Forest was secretly dying.

Ultimately your line of reasoning is pretty much non-existent, it basically boils down to 'But he limps! Also ignore what the characters themselves say, and also I alone know their thoughts which have no physical expression in the movie itself'.

As for her being more than aware of his mobility, she's not seen him for years and I seem to remember him making a comment on how he had been patched together a lot since or something along those lines. And I'm not arguing that any of this part of the film can be regarded as particularly good storytelling. I just haven't taken exception to it.
She spent a considerable amount of time with him whilst the rest of the gang were imprisoned and would be familiar with how he gets around by his presence and us watching her watching him walk and stuff. This is normally how knowledge is presented in movies. This is also again belied by her actually asking him to leave with her, but apparently this means nothing.

I don't remember the line you're talking about, I just remember her saying it was a while and him questioning her motivation since he knows the Rebel Alliance has sent her.

Also, I said it was essentially a 'generic' war film. Saving Private Ryan transcended that genericism, so it's a moot point you are making there. This is pulp/pop culture stuff, I think most of us would admit.
So having characters with established personalities, back-stories, and a connection with the audience isn't a "generic" movie goal and requires "transcendence"? This is like 101 type shit.

Also, what does "pulp" and "pop culture" have to do with audience empathy in movies? And "pulp/pop culture"? They are very far from the same thing.

Your response is like word salad.

Had it been made without its setting within the Star Wars universe, I doubt anyone would have noticed this film. As the past 4 films in that series have been largely disappointing, just having one that largely works and tells a fairly self contained story (albeit one that takes place within a bigger saga), means it has been received as a triumph.
So, the film wouldn't be worthy of attention without being called Star Wars, but also 'largely works'?

I really can't figure out what point you're trying to make here.

Last edited:
It's the length of your posts mainly that make me believe that you are either over thinking things or you've had one too many Christmas sherries.

That and the vague recollection that there is some kind of discussion about Saw's physical deterioration during the scene with him and Jyn. But then I've only seen it the once.

Just seems such a minor thing for you (and others) to get their knickers in a twist about in film that is otherwise completely outlandish and which takes place in one of the most self contradictory fantasy universes ever created.

Where I'm coming from is I think having something you either can either see or hear in a movie that supports an interpretation is a basic requirement of movie discussion.

You seemingly have nothing to say about the things in the movie that contradict your assertion other than they really meant the opposite, and a vague notion of a line by Jyn that you remember about how Forest didn't look great and that the audience should take this to mean that Forest is dying and when Jyn asked him to leave with her later she really didn't mean it because he's like a dying dog or something and can't leave even though Forest himself gives another reason when asked why he's staying. Again, this fantasy is yours.

All this could have been headed off by a 'oh yeah, I guess that doesn't make much sense after all', but instead here we are with the most strained interpretation imaginable of a seemingly different movie and the people talking to you don't count because the responses are too long and they're also drunk and angry. But I guess reading extremely detailed motivation from vapour is a talent all movie-goers should have.

Where I'm coming from is I think having something you either can either see or hear in a movie that supports an interpretation is a basic requirement of movie discussion.

You seemingly have nothing to say about the things in the movie that contradict your assertion other than they really meant the opposite, and a vague notion of a line by Jyn that you remember about how Forest didn't look great and that the audience should take this to mean that Forest is dying and when Jyn asked him to leave with her later she really didn't mean it because he's like a dying dog or something and can't leave even though Forest himself gives another reason when asked why he's staying. Again, this fantasy is yours.

All this could have been headed off by a 'oh yeah, I guess that doesn't make much sense after all', but instead here we are with the most strained interpretation imaginable of a seemingly different movie and the people talking to you don't count because the responses are too long and they're also drunk and angry. But I guess reading extremely detailed motivation from vapour is a talent all movie-goers should have.

Mate, you have spent a large part of your Christmas day arguing in minute detail with a stranger because, although they agreed that a scene in a fantasy film was lacklustre and left a little to the imagination, it wasn't as much of an aberration as you believe it to have been.

Definitely one to tell the grandkids.