Film Star Wars: Pogue One

Even with the Ewoks, VI is completely redeemed by being a rare movie in which the hero triumphs through non-violence. 3rd best.

I wonder how far we are away from believable reconstructive speech synthesis.
Fair point, though I do really really hate Ewoks.

I suppose that could work, but they're pretty awesome at CGIing people nowadays and it still had a bit of the uncanny vally about it, could be similar with speech. Other option is using James Earl Jones as the basis for all clone research.

I'm sure they can find someone with a similar feckin voice. He wasn't even that impressive in this movie.

The actor seems okay, if you look at two comparison images from different movies he hasn't aged much:

Return of the Jedi

Darth+Vader+Return+of+the+Jedi.jpg

Rogue One

darth-vader-rogue-one-213340-320x180.jpg

Looks dustier in the old one even.

That reminds me - the eyes were very red this time round.

Looks dustier in the old one even.

That reminds me - the eyes were very red this time round.

Yeah they're that way in ANH too, then transitioned to black apparently for the last two from what I've heard.

The actor seems okay, if you look at two comparison images from different movies he hasn't aged much:

Return of the Jedi

Darth+Vader+Return+of+the+Jedi.jpg

Rogue One

darth-vader-rogue-one-213340-320x180.jpg

It's a little weird seeing him in super high definition.

That final scene though :drool: What a Vader finish a movie. Something to sabre.

Yeah a very well made movie i thought. I had a few gripes though, that scene where the tiny ship moved the huge star destroyer into the other one was a bit daft. :lol:
What, exactly like tug boats do, except in an environment with far less resistance? I'm not sure why that's daft at all.

What, exactly like tug boats do, except in an environment with far less resistance? I'm not sure why that's daft at all.

The key word there being boats, i.e more than one. It takes several to move a ship which is still even a few metres. For one tiny ship to move something the size of a star destroyer to such a degree that it smashed into the other one with a big impact is nothing but daft.

I thought it was okay. Definitely preferred TFA but it was enjoyable.

The Tarkin CGI irritated me. As someone that works in CGI, despite it being very impressive (and in fact, I think I saw it pop up on CG Society a few months ago) it also stood out to me straight away and didn't look right. Contrast that with the Kingslaive movie I watched last week which looked very natural at times, I think it's better these things stay in an entirely CG environment.

What I will say is that it's 2/2 now for Disney as far hitting a certain standard goes (I guess that standard is basically not being as shit as the prequels).

The key word there being boats, i.e more than one. It takes several to move a ship which is still even a few metres. For one tiny ship to move something the size of a star destroyer to such a degree that it smashed into the other one with a big impact is nothing but daft.
We have no idea of the thruster power of the ramming ship, the mass of the destroyers not do I, personally at least, understand the required physics even if I had all the information. It seems an odd thing to pick out in a film with lazer guns, light sabres, mystical forces and faster than light spacecraft piloted by salmons in suits. It's not internally inconsistent and is surely possible if the smaller craft had powerful enough thrusters (which I assume it's designed to have).

We have no idea of the thruster power of the ramming ship, the mass of the destroyers not do I, personally at least, understand the required physics even if I had all the information. It seems an odd thing to pick out in a film with lazer guns, light sabres, mystical forces and faster than light spacecraft piloted by salmons in suits. It's not internally inconsistent and is surely possible if the smaller craft had powerful enough thrusters (which I assume it's designed to have).

:lol:

I've got out tonight a bit disappointed. I think that's down to me setting my expectations far too high and hyping the film up massively.

No John Williams (the musical scores in SW have always blown me away, gutted about this), CGI Tarkin and the lack of force/Jedi scenes were what got to me a bit. I understand that this is the rebels story and enjoyed it for what it was in that sense and I should have expected it.

It's a good film if you go in with the right expectations.

^^ I was quite impressed by CGI Tarkin I must say

Enjoyed the movie much more than the last one

In a new hope they go on like the jedi are legends of old. To be disappointed there's no jedi stuff in R1 is therefore a little daft.
I thought the CGI on Tarkin was great.
Great film, didn't really let up, 2 hours seemed like an hour.
Slight disappointment with some of the music, wasn't sure it had to be such a departure at times.
Jin would receive it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

In terms of a representation of physics in space, that scene is probably more realistic than most of Star Wars.

8/10 liked it a lot, Donnie yen is class, knocked a few points off for Cringe moments and some unnecessary cheese. wish they kept it dark throughout.

This was very good. I know after thinking about it I will feel the same.

TFA - when I came out I was buzzing, but after a think I realised it wasn't as good as I thought.

My order:
V
IV
TFA
RO
VI
III
I
II

In terms of a representation of physics in space, that scene is probably more realistic than most of Star Wars.

Yeah. I don't get the complaints. I'm no physicist but in space, without gravity and air resistance, I thought the Star Destroyer being pushed by that cruiser made sense.

Yeah. I don't get the complaints. I'm no physicist but in space, without gravity and air resistance, I thought the Star Destroyer being pushed by that cruiser made sense.

Yup, it makes perfect sense -- as long as we ignore how a "disabled" ship doesn't collapse onto the surface by itself. Assuming it has some sort of stabiliser even when it is disabled, that collision and its results are correct.

I was fine with it, right until the end.

Which is to say, the last bit where the rebels were jumping back to Yavin, what happened after the fish gave the order to run just made no sense.

This is something that is always brought out whenever anyone claims something is unrealistic in a film, but surely it needs to have some basis in reality if it's going to be used as a main plot device, in this case the thing that allows the rebels to win.

I don't think it's just me, many people were very critical of The Force Awakens using a super weapon that draws power from the sun - and that movie had a talking orange lizard who looked like a bum hole.

It's a franchise full of bits like this, I've said before in this thread that it gets away with too much. Didn't spoil my enjoyment of a good film though.

Last edited:

In a new hope they go on like the jedi are legends of old. To be disappointed there's no jedi stuff in R1 is therefore a little daft.
Slight disappointment with some of the music, wasn't sure it had to be such a departure at times.
Jin would receive it.

Good points to be fair. Forgot about the bolded bit. Knowing Hollywood, normally, this bit wouldn't have made a difference and they'd have thrown a ton of Jedi stuff in anyway. They've stuck to the script though and I appreciate that, I just should have thought ahead about it going in to the film.

The bit where Vader lights up his saber at the end was immense. That's what I wanted more of!

Jin would receive it.

Yep.
Han: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
Luke: You don’t believe in the Force, do you?
Han: Kid, I’ve flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff, but I’ve never seen anything to make me believe there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There’s no mystical energy field controls my destiny! It’s all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

I didn't have any problems with CGI Tarkin. I think that CGI might be one of the things Caf hates most (there were complains for Snoke CGI too which I thought was alright).

The Vader scene at the end was brilliant. Slashing, throwing and stabbing dudes like a boss.

Yep.

I didn't have any problems with CGI Tarkin. I think that CGI might be one of the things Caf hates most (there were complains for Snoke CGI too which I thought was alright).
Bad CGI that makes you remember you are watching a film is the problem. If you choose a CGI bad guy and don't absolutely nail it then you risk them losing some of their menace.

I think Tarkin was the best human CGI I have seen. My 23 year old brother (who wouldn't be the biggest Star Wars but still wanted to see Rogue One in IMAX) didn't even realise that Tarkin was CGI. He wasn't aware of Peter Cushing in general so to him it was just another actor on screen.

Bad CGI that makes you remember you are watching a film is the problem. If you choose a CGI bad guy and don't absolutely nail it then you risk them losing some of their menace.

I think Tarkin was the best human CGI I have seen. My 23 year old brother (who wouldn't be the biggest Star Wars but still wanted to see Rogue One in IMAX) didn't even realise that Tarkin was CGI. He wasn't aware of Peter Cushing in general so to him it was just another actor on screen.

Same with my girlfriend. She thought he was human until I told her afterwards, she couldn't believe it. I thought he was very well done.

Sure, but neither Tarkin nor Snoke were bad CGI. They were quite good, but people still moan here, which makes me think that some people here just hate CGI, full stop. Or just love to moan.

Sure, but neither Tarkin nor Snoke were bad CGI. They were quite good, but people still moan here, which makes me think that some people here just hate CGI, full stop. Or just love to moan.
Tarkin was great but to me Snoke looked like a video game character. I can be impressed with the level of detail but there is no way in hell i am seeing that as a living being.

supreme-leader-snoke-motivations-who-is-he-moyejszxpvgh62nfzju6le5d7i2diayfcuzmy94tmo.jpg

Had low expectations, but I actually didn't mind it. Donnie Yen was great.

But we're 2 movies into the Disney Star Wars era and we've gotten Force Awakens (basically A New Hope II), and Rogue One (basically a $200m fan film paying homage to the originals).

Come on Lucasfilm, these films will make a tonne of money either way, how about doing something new.

I'm astonished people are complaining about Tarkin, especially when you compare it to a few years ago with the fake Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, my missus didn't know it was an effect at all, I had to tell her afterwards.

Tarkin was great but to me Snoke looked like a video game character. I can be impressed with the level of detail but there is no way in hell i am seeing that as a living being.

supreme-leader-snoke-motivations-who-is-he-moyejszxpvgh62nfzju6le5d7i2diayfcuzmy94tmo.jpg

Wasn't Snoke only in TFA as a hologram though?

I'm astonished people are complaining about Tarkin, especially when you compare it to a few years ago with the fake Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy, my missus didn't know it was an effect at all, I had to tell her afterwards.
Did you watch it in 3D or 2D? It seems most people who watched it in 2D like CGI-Tarkin and many who watched it in 3D like myself didn't like the CGI.

Had low expectations, but I actually didn't mind it. Donnie Yen was great.

But we're 2 movies into the Disney Star Wars era and we've gotten Force Awakens (basically A New Hope II), and Rogue One (basically a $200m fan film paying homage to the originals).

Come on Lucasfilm, these films will make a tonne of money either way, how about doing something new.

I don't get it, how was that a homage? it was nothing like any of the other films IMO. It had some repeat characters but that's fair enough given the films timeline.

Did you watch it in 3D or 2D? It seems most people who watched it in 2D like CGI-Tarkin and many who watched it in 3D like myself didn't like the CGI.

2D as I try to avoid 3D where possible.