Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

This has nothing to do with someone being charged by now or not.
The longer you leave a window of opportunity for these idiots to form their own opinion and organise action, then it's a sign that the police aren't in control of this situation.

Apparently his parents were from Rwanda, an overwhelmingly Christian country. Also, you know, he was born in Cardiff. Just insanity the lot of it.

Yeah just saw that, sadly though these guys will still just pivot that his parents are immigrants and ultimately (most likely) not white

They'll act as it the anti-Islam stuff was fake news

The more the police sit on their hands in terms of charging someone, then the more opportunity it gives for these idiots to take matters into their own hands. All completely preventable considering they believe they have the suspect and have had him in custody for over 24hrs.

Yes it’s the fault of the police. Sat on their hands.

Clueless.

The longer you leave a window of opportunity for these idiots to form their own opinion and organise action, then it's a sign that the police aren't in control of this situation.
They don't need time to form an opinion, they have one ready to go.

Riots by a mosque now, this will surely bring those three girls back.

Setting fire to police vans, attacking police officers, it's all maddening. Two separate incidents in the last few weeks where these people were championing respect for the police, but conveniently now it's OK for to riot and attack the police. I'm just so exhausted by all of this. I need a break from life in England.

Yes it’s the fault of the police. Sat on their hands.

Clueless.
They've had the guy for 24hrs now, so we should be hearing a charge of some form no? I'm asking as you're somewhat of a subject matter expert here.

You could see the outburst from some locals today when Starmer came to visit, it didn't take a genius to work out the tone of some of the locals that some activity would be happening there tonight. The problem with these half wits on the far right is when they don't see anyone in control, then they try to take the law into their own hands. Best not to give them any opportunity to exercise what little brain cells they have.

Riots by a mosque now, this will surely bring those three girls back.
That mosque used to be the Ebenezer Tabernacle, a non-conformist church that I often used to walk past. I doubt if they had much of a congregation, so I wasn't surprised when it became the mosque.

There is also a large Jewish community in Southport, with an Orthodox synagogue and a Reform one.

They've had the guy for 24hrs now, so we should be hearing a charge of some form no? I'm asking as you're somewhat of a subject matter expert here.

You could see the outburst from some locals today when Starmer came to visit, it didn't take a genius to work out the tone of some of the locals that some activity would be happening there tonight. The problem with these half wits on the far right is when they don't see anyone in control, then they try to take the law into their own hands. Best not to give them any opportunity to exercise what little brain cells they have.
He's under 18 so even if charged, his name and picture isn't going to be made public.

The question was how do you stop things like this from happening.

More stop and search won’t stop every attack - but if it stops 1 it’s a huge success in my eyes and we’d never even know about it.

Stop and search might have helped in Southend tonight, huge police presence and there's been a machete fight. The country is going crazy.

He's under 18 so even if charged, his name and picture isn't going to be made public.
Correct, however they've had him in custody for over 24hrs now. Merseyside Police have made a statement saying they're not looking for anyone else, so it's difficult to see what else they're waiting for at this point. Compare this to the case in Kent where the soldier was stabbed and he was arrested and in front of a court on attempted murder charges within 36hrs.

Horrible. Hijacking what should be a time for grieving.

Sympathies to the families.

No. 24 hours is the minimum but considering he’s killed 3 people (possibly others to follow) I imagine he will be in for an extended period (look up Superintendents extension and Magistrates extensions).

This is absolutely nothing to do with what’s going on tonight though and to suggest the police are to blame and ‘say on their hands’ is quite insulting.

The cops there have been through the mill yesterday and now they are getting battered for their troubles.

Sorry but you're chatting nonsense. This is nothing but the fault of grifters and scum like GB News that happily promoted a fake name and identity of a suspect that allowed people like these scumbags to whip into a frenzy.

No. 24 hours is the minimum but considering he’s killed 3 people (possibly others to follow) I imagine he will be in for an extended period (look up Superintendents extension and Magistrates extensions).

This is absolutely nothing to do with what’s going on tonight though and to suggest the police are to blame and ‘say on their hands’ is quite insulting.

The cops there have been through the mill yesterday and now they are getting battered for their troubles.
I get the extensions, but are they waiting on more to die before charging him further? There's enough evidence and eye witness reports to build enough of a case for the poor three that have died already.

I'm saying the police aren't in control of the situation at the moment, sitting on their hands is about the fact they've not charged their suspect yet. The fact it was quite well publicised amongst the idiots yesterday that they were coming to Southport tonight and the rhetoric coming from local residents before, it's quite clear that some were coming to take matters into their own hands. The statement they've just given suggests this has taken them by surprise tonight in that they're needing additional patrols.

The people shouting at Starmer weren't locals. The thugs rioting round the corner from my house aren't locals. The locals attended the vigil to show solidarity.

Would hazard a guess that the vast majority causing the issues tonight are very far from locals.

Stop and search might have helped in Southend tonight, huge police presence and there's been a machete fight. The country is going crazy.

I mean, I hate to say it, but seeing our police look like helpless civilians dressed in police vests doing feck all while there was nothing stopping those with swords (they weren’t knives ffs) run around free to potentially attack anyone is scary

I do honestly believe the police need to be better armed to stop things from happening as some of the ‘public’ are more armed than most police

From the Guardian:

Merseyside Police said an officer suffered a suspected broken nose and police vehicles have been damaged and set alight in the disturbances in Southport.

“At around 7.45pm, a large group of people – believed to be supporters of the English Defence League – began to throw items towards a local mosque on St Luke’s Road in Southport,” the force said.

“Officers who are deployed are currently dealing with criminal behaviour and violence with bottles and wheelie bins being thrown at them.”

“Additional patrols are now in attendance, including the Dog Section” the force added.

The Government needs to designate the EDL as a proscribed organisation. This is absolutely ridiculous, what has the mosque got to do with anything?

I get the extensions, but are they waiting on more to die before charging him further? There's enough evidence and eye witness reports to build enough of a case for the poor three that have died already.

I'm saying the police aren't in control of the situation at the moment, sitting on their hands is about the fact they've not charged their suspect yet. The fact it was quite well publicised amongst the idiots yesterday that they were coming to Southport tonight and the rhetoric coming from local residents before, it's quite clear that some were coming to take matters into their own hands. The statement they've just given suggests this has taken them by surprise tonight in that they're needing additional patrols.
Just accept you don’t understand how an investigation works nor could you begin to understand the complexities of one like this.

Please stop saying things that are complete nonsense.

Quickly charging the suspect would make zero difference to what’s happened tonight.

Fudging together an investigation would make a huge difference to delivering answers and justice to the families of those suffering though.

I mean, I hate to say it, but seeing our police look like helpless civilians dressed in police vests doing feck all while there was nothing stopping those with swords (they weren’t knives ffs) run around free to potentially attack anyone is scary

I do honestly believe the police need to be better armed to stop things from happening as some of the ‘public’ are more armed than most police
They look like security at first glance

Are they police?

It was seemingly filmed on a Nokia 3310 but they look like security.

Wrong opinions were being made as soon as the attack occurred on social media. Racists like this don’t need any excuse to make it about themselves. If you suddenly think they will stop when a suspect is charged then you are wrong. They don’t care about anyone but themselves.

The police get a lot of stick, part of the job I guess, yet yesterday’s events must have been harrowing for so many officers. To be set upon and attacked this evening is despicable.

A truly sorry state of affairs, only adding to the despair the families must be feeling.

Waiting for Reform and other racists to condone the attack on the Police because they had a lot to say about it after the Manchester Airport incident. These fecking right wing cnuts have been egged on by the media and certain policitians. Something needs to be done about them.

Firstly, the victims, the kids who were taken too soon and their families should be at the forefront of everyone’s thoughts.

What happened yesterday was a genuine tragedy and as a parent to two little girls who go to places like that, I found it gut wrenching.

This evening I'm also shocked to hear of the abuse directed at the Merseyside police from the local indigenous population. In what way does that help the victims or their families or even prevent further atrocities? What justice will anyone feel?

We’re in a bad place. It feels like 2010 all over again. Weekly EDL marches, Anjem Choudry in the headlines, brutal and open racism, the most bizarre attacks in public…the list goes on.

What a lovely tribute from the far right tonight xx

Why do the Police put up with this though? I am thinking get the the dogs and horses out, grab all our non lethal kit and go round the feckers up.

Is it a lack of numbers, equipment or someone at the top refusing to make that call?

Get the feeling some of the Police Officers out there tonight were sitting ducks especially if you got people out there touching vans, throwing fireworks etc..

Setting fire to police vans, attacking police officers, it's all maddening. Two separate incidents in the last few weeks where these people were championing respect for the police, but conveniently now it's OK for to riot and attack the police. I'm just so exhausted by all of this. I need a break from life in England.
You and me both brother

Why do the Police put up with this though? I am thinking get the the dogs and horses out, grab all our non lethal kit and go round the feckers up.

Is it a lack of numbers, equipment or someone at the top refusing to make that call?

Get the feeling some of the Police Officers out there tonight were sitting ducks especially if you got people out there touching vans, throwing fireworks etc..

Again, I assume you would use this same tactic during the Leeds riot last week?

Its fecking ridiculous they don't have these available:

mixed it up with net guns and taser guns and they could be on top of any situation not involving firearms...

I’m thinking of making a conscious effort to just tune out more. We can’t do anything to prevent the horrible shit in the world and I think there’s a sick part in everyone’s brain that’s almost addicted to receiving the next bit of info. The nature of the internet and social media means shit like this spreads far and wide very quickly so there’s very little bad in the world we don’t know about in real time. Our brains weren’t made to wake up in the morning and instantly scroll and see images of dead children in Gaza. It’s too much.
I agree with you so much.

Few weeks back it was the crossbow killer. Then the lady killed in front of her kids and stuffed into a suitcase. Then this.

Unrelenting.

I can 100% guarantee you will never regret this. I haven’t missed Twitter for one minute since I binned the app a couple of years ago. Quite the opposite.
Completely off topic, but my main follows are all sports writers etc for every sport going I follow.. news at your fingertips. Have you replaced twitter with something else?

I'd like to delete it but it'd where I get all my sports updates.

Again, I assume you would use this same tactic during the Leeds riot last week?
100%!

Cast your mind back to the riots in 2011, it was madness for a few nights where I live but we then had Armed Response Officers patrolling our streets and all of sudden it all stopped, you show them your not messing around and they will soon clear off.