Southport knife attack - 3 children dead, 8 children and 2 adults injured

As an immigrant here I worry that things are likely to get worse across the country soon. There is a definite undercurrent right now and tragic incidents like this are just bringing us closer to the inevitable

I’m thinking of making a conscious effort to just tune out more. We can’t do anything to prevent the horrible shit in the world and I think there’s a sick part in everyone’s brain that’s almost addicted to receiving the next bit of info. The nature of the internet and social media means shit like this spreads far and wide very quickly so there’s very little bad in the world we don’t know about in real time. Our brains weren’t made to wake up in the morning and instantly scroll and see images of dead children in Gaza. It’s too much.
Wish I’d read this earlier. These terrible stabbings are engrained on my mind and this evening I did something I never usually do; I ventured onto social media. It’s a cesspit. Was foolishly expecting some healing and coming together but really should have known better.

Feel sick to my stomach seeing so much hatred out there. I too need to make a conscious effort to tune out.

Nice bit of sword fighting going on in Southend too. Described as....youths. Presumably also with mental health issues.

Bless the families of these girls, absolutely unreal what is going on in this country. We are in one hell of a mess.

Wish I’d read this earlier. These terrible stabbings are engrained on my mind and this evening I did something I never usually do; I ventured onto social media. It’s a cesspit. Was foolishly expecting some healing and coming together but really should have known better.

Feel sick to my stomach seeing so much hatred out there. I too need to make a conscious effort to tune out.
"2% Muslim" is trending. Shows people calling out the racist rubbish.

"2% Muslim" is trending. Shows people calling out the racist rubbish.
The crazy thing is we don't even know if the perpetrator was Muslim. Islamaphobia has become so rife that these cretins are willing to come out and riot over unverified/fake news. It even happened with eh Leeds riots a few weeks ago.

Usually I can switch off in things like this, but this one has actually got to me. Guess I am imagining my little one being dropped off at a dance class and not coming home. Those poor kids and parents. :(

Why are rioters attacking Mosques, am I missing something?
Cos the likes of Tommy Robinson and other far right grifters and news channels have been blaming it on Muslims.

100%!

Cast your mind back to the riots in 2011, it was madness for a few nights where I live but we then had Armed Response Officers patrolling our streets and all of sudden it all stopped, you show them your not messing around and they will soon clear off.

I agree all forms of rioting should be met with equal measures to neutralise them.

Cos the likes of Tommy Robinson and other far right grifters and news channels have been blaming it on Muslims.

Well I do not expect Tommy Robinson to be a voice of reason, but news channels should be held accountable for false information if it's specially leads to major riots. Did GB news blame it on muslims?

Because any excuse, basically. Same shit in Dublin when a North African immigrant stabbed some kids. Scumbags started looking for Deliveroo cyclists to beat up, who were from Brazil.

People are really stupid, it's actually scary that you walk in the streets among them.

Riots by a mosque now, this will surely bring those three girls back.

@P-Ro

This kind of thing is exactly why some people are so interested/ worried about the identity of the perpetrator in attacks like this.

Rumour, speculation, fact. Can all affect them in ways it wouldn't for someone from the majority group in a country.

This is incredibly unsurprising.

Few weeks back it was the crossbow killer. Then the lady killed in front of her kids and stuffed into a suitcase. Then this.

Unrelenting.

One thing that I'm finding interesting (especially in recent weeks) is not necessarily the ethnicity of these people. It's the fact that these are all crimes committed by men. Towards women. I'm seeing these actions/protests/riots tonight, and it's men at the forefront, again.

I always find it interesting how people are always very quick to jump on ethnicity, race, origin, location, etc...but we seem to always steer well clear of the fact that these are crimes being committed by men. Somehow it seems to be acceptable that men do this and the question is never asked regarding why.

One thing that I'm finding interesting (especially in recent weeks) is not necessarily the ethnicity of these people. It's the fact that these are all crimes committed by men. Towards women. I'm seeing these actions/protests/riots tonight, and it's men at the forefront, again.

I always find it interesting how people are always very quick to jump on ethnicity, race, origin, location, etc...but we seem to always steer well clear of the fact that these are crimes being committed by men. Somehow it seems to be acceptable that men do this and the question is never asked regarding why.

That would be too confronting, and require some kind of reflection. It’s always far easier to just blame the ‘other’: the immigrant, the Muslim, the LGBT person, etc etc

Something like 90% of violent crime is committed by men but some also argue that it's a very small percentage of men who are responsible for that violence.

So it would be unfair to single out men as a group because it's clearly not innate maleness that's responsible for the violence.

That would be too confronting, and require some kind of reflection. It’s always far easier to just blame the ‘other’: the immigrant, the Muslim, the LGBT person, etc etc

Them vs us mentality it's how politicians rile people for votes too

Males? The Welsh? My point being that people often latch into the detail that suits their agenda (before people think I'm making fun of the situation).

Something like 90% of violent crime is committed by men but some also argue that it's a very small percentage of men who are responsible for that violence.

So it would be unfair to single out men as a group because it's clearly not innate maleness that's responsible for the violence.

Yet the a huge proportion of murders are committed by men. And almost universally when it comes to terrorist attacks (not saying this is) or crimes that target women/domestic violence.

So there is definitely a specifically male problem happening in many cases.

Yet the a huge proportion of murders are committed by men. And almost universally when it comes to terrorist attacks (not saying this is) or crimes that target women/domestic violence.

So there is definitely a specifically male problem happening in many cases.
Yeah I'm not denying that men commit more violent acts just contesting the notion that it's simply because we're men. There are other tangible factors that contribute to violent criminality more than our biology; learned behaviour, substance abuse, mental disorders, etc.

Most men will not commit violent crimes and even fewer will be repeat offenders so to say it's because we're men is erroneous. Men as a group don't need to reflect on their (assumed) behaviour.

I assume you have the same view for all those rioting in Leeds last week?
Why wouldn't I?

If anything those people were from a centuries long persecuted minority with little understanding of what's going on.

These hate filled nazi worshippers are coordinated and organised. They've flooded social media with organised fake news using the same model as disinfo labs. They've hijacked a national tragedy and decided to use it to riot.

Don't be tricked into thinking these are just some lager lout neanderthals - the people behind them have launched an organised and sophisticated attempt to cause anarchy.

Yeah I'm not denying that men commit more violent acts just contesting the notion that it's simply because we're men. There are other tangible factors that contribute to violent criminality more than our biology; learned behaviour, substance abuse, mental disorders, etc.

Most men will not commit violent crimes and even fewer will be repeat offenders so to say it's because we're men is erroneous. Men as a group don't need to reflect on their (assumed) behaviour.

Don’t disagree there are other factors at play, but clearly there is something about our biology, because women also have learned behaviours, substance abuse, and mental disorders, yet do not commit anywhere near as much crime.

There’s clearly a combination at play of biology coupled with things such as poor upbringing, mental health issues, poverty, abuse, etc, not to mention a host of patriarchal issues men deal with - less likely to seek help, talk to people about our problems, etc.

Don't be tricked into thinking these are just some lager lout neanderthals - the people behind them have launched an organised and sophisticated attempt to cause anarchy.
Some of them are and they (and the ‘professional rioters’) need a brick right where it hurts. Oh wait…

Hopefully can’t have any more kids.

Last edited: