Sofyan Amrabat | To Fenerbahçe SK pending medical

Would be such an underwhelming transfer. Usually you can at least hold a bit of hope that someone will come in and surprise you but in this case we already know how average he is. And when we are in a position financially where we need to sell to buy it seems completely pointless wasting a fee on a player who won't improve us, no matter how low it is.

Would be such an underwhelming transfer. Usually you can at least hold a bit of hope that someone will come in and surprise you but in this case we already know how average he is. And when we are in a position financially where we need to sell to buy it seems completely pointless wasting a fee on a player who won't improve us, no matter how low it is.
He actually looked good when played in his correct position

If we get him on a very very cheap loan, then if the club wants to sign him permanently next summer, there's no fee to pay to his parent club.

Also if ETH actually played him in his correct position, that would help.

Well, this would be a crushingly miserable signing. I was more excited about Tom Huddlestone as player coach for the U21s.

Only issue I had with him playing deeper midfield role was he is very slow on half turn when receiving the ball.

Few times he was caught out when trying to turn with ball especially the Brighton game last game of season. Teams nicking the ball off him deep in our half.

Normally clubs already have a barely good enough midfielder knocking around that they can at least play in cup games and disappoint the fans who wanted the first team. We don't even have that much so we need to buy one in.

Seems like we’re not in a position to spend millions on a midfielder, so Amrabat might have to do.

He never got much of chance in his favoured position and when he did, he looked a good player. He's probably more suited to that defensive mid role than Ugarte too. Collyer will hopefully be given a first team role this season.

Case
Ambrabat
Collyer
Mainoo
McT
Eriksen
Bruno
Mount

Is overkill of options in midfield tbh. Unless Casemiro, McT and one more player is sold, I really don't see us having the funds to spend big money on anyone in midfield.

He never got much of chance in his favoured position and when he did, he looked a good player. He's probably more suited to that defensive mid role than Ugarte too. Collyer will hopefully be given a first team role this season.

Case
Ambrabat
Collyer
Mainoo
McT
Eriksen
Bruno
Mount

Is overkill of options in midfield tbh. Unless Casemiro, McT and one more player is sold, I really don't see us having the funds to spend big money on anyone in midfield.
an overkill of shit old legless players...we saw the performance of the team last year with this group and it will be the same if nothing changes. we'll get up a ton of shots and we won't score for shit

Weren’t the rumours he had to beg EtH to play him in his favoured position? Arsenal and Man City he performed very well in my book and both games after the apparent convo with Hag… it’s hard to judge any players based on the kamikaze ball we played last year.

Not keeping Amrabat as a squad player because we need to pay 20 million EUROS, and in the same breath keeping McT who we were offered more money for, must be one of the dumbest decisions United will make this transfer window.

I wonder if somebody is even analyzing what our needs are and what style we intend to play

Ten Hag kept his job based off one good game... #justsaying
Seems mental that they were a day away from sacking him but are now backing him with signings he wants, coaches he wants, a playing style he wants. It’s like they haven’t even considered that it could go tits up and they have to replace him and all his people in December

Seems mental that they were a day away from sacking him but are now backing him with signings he wants, coaches he wants, a playing style he wants. It’s like they haven’t even considered that it could go tits up and they have to replace him and all his people in December

Maybe Ten Hag is a persuasive fellow.
And maybe doubling down is what they deemed to be the most rational.

I've read all summer we need a high volume passer, well, Amrabat is the only one we have and I don't think he's nearly as bad as some people make out. I actually think in all our best performances, he was on the pitch. No DM would have looked good the way we played last season. I'm definitely Ok with him as a squad option

He's the only one who played in the number 6 position last season and looked comfortable there. I had hoped we would sign a better number 6 and have Amrabat as back up.

If we don't sign anyone and we lose Amrabat, it's terrible business for us. Casemiro and McTom were liabilities as DMs.

Last edited:
Imagine you’ve got dead wood, but it’s only a loan and they go back at the end of the season but then you find that actually your club is considering spending money to bring the dead wood back and lock into a contract.

You don't think that the fact that we've got a bunch of ex managers in, and a couple of good signings, with players we've wanted gone for years out, or on the way out, means that Ineos were heavily involved in the process of choosing who goes and who comes in?

I've read all summer we need a high volume passer, well, Amrabat is the only one we have and I don't think he's nearly as bad as some people make out. I actually think in all our best performances, he was on the pitch. No DM would have looked good the way we played last season. I'm definitely Ok with him as a squad option
If you look at his stats at fiorentina, we haven't seen that player at Utd. Played in his proper position, he can be a high volume passer.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-sofyan-amrabat/

I can't imagine him getting many games if he stays, can't imagine calling on him in key matches unless we were in crisis (like FA Cup final). He's a decent squad option but not good enough to start - not good enough in the side we are trying to build, forget about last season - and I think we should be signing only players who can challenge for a starting berth.

Imagine you’ve got dead wood, but it’s only a loan and they go back at the end of the season but then you find that actually your club is considering spending money to bring the dead wood back and lock into a contract.
I don't consider Amrabat "dead wood". Man's been here for less than a year and played out of position fairly often. I'm not saying he's world class but until we can find someone better for a similar fee I'm all for a loan extension or short term contract.

I'd rather we use Collyer as backup than waste money on Amrabat. Our limited funds should go towards better quality players like Ugarte / Rabiot.

I'd rather we use Collyer as backup than waste money on Amrabat. Our limited funds should go towards better quality players like Ugarte / Rabiot.

From what I've seen of Collyer he looks more of an 8 than a 6 in terms of holding that position where Amrabat is exclusively a 6

From what I've seen of Collyer he looks more of an 8 than a 6 in terms of holding that position where Amrabat is exclusively a 6
From interviews I gather that he's a 6. He also plays like one, and he should be used as backup to Casemiro and Ugarte. Amrabat isn't worth any financial outlay for me, which is my point.

Seems like we’re not in a position to spend millions on a midfielder, so Amrabat might have to do.
Amrabat will cost millions though?

I don’t think we’re pulling the trigger on any midfield options until we get some out goings. One of Casemiro, McTominay or Eriksen would have to leave.

Amrabat will cost millions though?

I don’t think we’re pulling the trigger on any midfield options until we get some out goings. One of Casemiro, McTominay or Eriksen would have to leave.
Amrabat is out of contract next summer so I don't think he would be too expensive to re-loan again.

Amrabat is out of contract next summer so I don't think he would be too expensive to re-loan again.
Why would a club loan one of their players who will then be out of contract when it’s up? You loan a player either to get experience or to line up buyers

If we offload Casemiro and McT, managed to get Ugarte, needed a cheap squad player in the centre of midfield and we don't want to pay Rabiot, then maybe we could offer £5million for him on deadline day, once all other options are exhausted.

Why would a club loan one of their players who will then be out of contract when it’s up? You loan a player either to get experience or to line up buyers
Because he's still coming contractually their player till July 1st 2025. You got money for him for the loan or you sell him. Either way you get money.

Because he's still coming contractually their player till July 1st 2025. You got money for him for the loan or you sell him. Either way you get money.
I don’t think any club would do that unless they are committed to getting very little. A loan would costs probably 3m, buying him maybe 8m. A difference of 5m to the seller.
We didn’t do it when in the same position with Lingard

I don’t think any club would do that unless they are committed to getting very little. A loan would costs probably 3m, buying him maybe 8m. A difference of 5m to the seller.
We didn’t do it when in the same position with Lingard

We paid 10m€ to loan Amrabat but that was unusually high.