Sofyan Amrabat | To Fenerbahçe SK pending medical

Bit unfair on Amrabat really,never got a run of games until the end of the season and then started to produce better performances.
He didn't get a run of games because he wasn't good enough to. He's alright as a high volume safe passer but his physicality, mobility, forward passing and quality with the ball at feet are not good enough.

I get what the club are trying to do in lowering the fee to be paid but it is a no brainer to bring him back. He and Amad were far and away our most improving players towards the end of the season and he was one of the critical reasons we won that FA Cup final. If Casemiro played instead, that was a definite loss. Yet all he has gotten on this forum is constant castigation after one season in which he was either barely played or played out of position when he got on the pitch.

Now we're in a situation where our midfield options are Eriksen, Casemiro, Mctominay and Btec Mctominay from the U21s two weeks from the start of the season. Enjoy. :lol::lol: :lol:
For the DM not for the entire midfield. Mainoo and Eriksen are first choice. It's not a good situation but players like Amrabat aren't the answer.

The idea of this plodder plodding along for another 3-4 years fills me with dread. Hopefully, all just paper talk and nothing in us still being interested in him.

He didn't get a run of games because he wasn't good enough to. He's alright as a high volume safe passer but his physicality, mobility, forward passing and quality with the ball at feet are not good enough.

It's the other way around, he never got a decent run of games to find out.

Bit unfair on Amrabat really,never got a run of games until the end of the season and then started to produce better performances.

He was horrendous in the final game against Brighton

People want to bring this guy back, then they will wonder why we are 8th come may.. I rather just give youth the chance then, they cant be any worse than this guy

He’s bang average and almost 28. I’d be stunned if we resigned him - even for a low fee

It's the other way around, he never got a decent run of games to find out.
A player has to be good enough to get games to prove they're good enough to keep getting games. Amrbat seemingly failed the first hurdle as per you. Reminds me of VDB who also never got a run of games to prove himself whereas in reality the management could see his level in training which is why he barely played.

A player has to be good enough to get games to prove they're good enough to keep getting games. Amrbat seemingly failed the first hurdle as per you. Reminds me of VDB who also never got a run of games to prove himself whereas in reality the management could see his level in training which is why he barely played.
Nope doesn't always work like that mate. When new player is adapting to a new team/league/country and especially a struggling team playing midfield chaos ball they need more than 2-3 games at LB or the odd sub appearance to settle in.

Would you be happy enough if any of our new summer signings got the same limited amount of chances Amrabat got last season before writing them off?

Nope doesn't always work like that mate. When new player is adapting to a new team/league/country and especially a struggling team playing midfield chaos ball they need more than 2-3 games at LB or the odd sub appearance to settle in.

Would you be happy enough if any of our new summer signings got the same limited amount of chances Amrabat got last season before writing them off?
All of them have to show why deserve chances and also shine when they do get it. It's no different for Zirkzee. That's how managing a team 7 days a week works.

I think if the club are planning on offloading Casemiro, and do end up getting Ugarte later in the window, (especially now that PSG have signed Neves and might actually lower their asking price instead of being stuck with him), then Amrabat being the back up CDM to Ugarte is a good idea. He is cheap and has the desire to play for the club.

I rate Fred higher than Amrabat whom we stupidly replaced him with, so for me it'd be ridiculous if we went back for this turd. Better off going for Fred instead TBH.

I think if the club are planning on offloading Casemiro, and do end up getting Ugarte later in the window, (especially now that PSG have signed Neves and might actually lower their asking price instead of being stuck with him), then Amrabat being the back up CDM to Ugarte is a good idea. He is cheap and has the desire to play for the club.

There are plenty of players out there who are cheap and would love to play for United.

Like Amrabat, they are cheap for a reason. They're shite.

It's absolutely mental that people supposedly watched him last season and have convinced themselves that he'd be a good backup.

The thing about backup players is, they have to play sometime. Why are you so willing to accept poor quality backups?

Would feel awfully silly of us to have turned down signing Sabitzer but end up caving in and permanently signing someone as mediocre as Amrabat. Yes I know they're fundamentally different players but it has the hallmarks of a desperate signing that doesn't really improve us.

There are plenty of players out there who are cheap and would love to play for United.

Like Amrabat, they are cheap for a reason. They're shite.

It's absolutely mental that people supposedly watched him last season and have convinced themselves that he'd be a good backup.

The thing about backup players is, they have to play sometime. Why are you so willing to accept poor quality backups?

Not for around 10m there isn't. He is a decent player for that price. He is not as bad as you are making out.

It was blatantly obvious that Antony shouldn't have been given many chances over Amad.... what happened there?

At the end of the day, the club is wanting to bring him back to beef up the options. We are not in the position to be spending 40 or 50 million on back ups like City can.

Otherwise our spending would hit 400 to 500 million. We have to build on each season. Its going to be a long enough process to be honest.

Is it not the United way to now sign him towards the end of the window at a higher amount than the original commitment? :lol:

this guy was so damn slow on the ball, and gets caught constantly. One bang average at best game against city and people are wanting him back? We deserve this misery

Don't rate him at all, even just as a squad player. Certainly shouldn't be considering signing him up to a 3 or 4 year deal, we'll never be able to move him and if INEOS is competent, we'll have better players in over the next couple of windows making him obsolete.

I get what the club are trying to do in lowering the fee to be paid but it is a no brainer to bring him back. He and Amad were far and away our most improving players towards the end of the season and he was one of the critical reasons we won that FA Cup final. If Casemiro played instead, that was a definite loss. Yet all he has gotten on this forum is constant castigation after one season in which he was either barely played or played out of position when he got on the pitch.

Now we're in a situation where our midfield options are Eriksen, Casemiro, Mctominay and Btec Mctominay from the U21s two weeks from the start of the season. Enjoy. :lol::lol: :lol:
Why haven't you added Mainoo, Bruno and Mount to that list? Strange omissions

All of them have to show why deserve chances and also shine when they do get it. It's no different for Zirkzee. That's how managing a team 7 days a week works.

Amrabat didn't get a start for months mate. You can't show anything sat on the bench.

Amrabat didn't get a start for months mate. You can't show anything sat on the bench.

You get chances in training to show your worth and you have to work your way into the boss's plans. It isn't a carousel where everyone will get their turn just because they're there.

You get chances in training to show your worth and you have to work your way into the boss's plans. It isn't a carousel where everyone will get their turn just because they're there.

Training and matches are two very different things. There were no reports or rumours that Ten Hag was unhappy with his training.

Training and matches are two very different things. There were no reports or rumours that Ten Hag was unhappy with his training.

He clearly couldn't have been that enamoured with him either, or else he would have played him more. Aside from a small handful of performances, he wasn't that impressive, or at least not to the point where it was clear he should be getting more starts. His time here has been entirely forgettable. He seems like a totally nice guy and didn't come in and disrupt the team in a negative way or anything like that, so I don't think Ten Hag or anyone would have anything against him in that way. It just didn't work out and we need more.

He clearly couldn't have been that enamoured with him either, or else he would have played him more. Aside from a small handful of performances, he wasn't that impressive, or at least not to the point where it was clear he should be getting more starts. His time here has been entirely forgettable. He seems like a totally nice guy and didn't come in and disrupt the team in a negative way or anything like that, so I don't think Ten Hag or anyone would have anything against him in that way. It just didn't work out and we need more.

He only had a handful of appearances.

I'm not a massive fan or anything, ultimately he probably isn't good enough. But I doubt anyone could have watched the laughable shitshow that was our midfield last season and said that it couldn't have hurt to give this guy a few starts between December and May. We seen when he eventually did start a few games at the very end of the season he made us a bit more solid in midfield when we switched tactics and finally abandoned the braindead football we had been employing.

The scrappy-doo FA cup performance is doing so much heavy lifting to all those claiming he did alright at the end of the season.
Its madness. First it was his one tackle against Mbappe, now its his supposed "great game" in the FA Cup final. Madness, I have no other idea where such desperation comes from.
He only had a handful of appearances.

I'm not a massive fan or anything, ultimately he probably isn't good enough. But I doubt anyone could have watched the laughable shitshow that was our midfield last season and said that it couldn't have hurt to give this guy a few starts between December and May. We seen when he eventually did start a few games at the very end of the season he made us a bit more solid in midfield when we switched tactics and finally abandoned the braindead football we had been employing.
No issue with stating that he should have seen more gametime. But that isn't moving the point forwards, isn't it? We shouldn't buy him based on him not getting enough chances.
And we haven't been more solid at the end of the season. This is a myth ffs. The only thing, that improved were results, we still provided opposition good chances on a regular basis. We shouldn't buy him because he was the least shit from a selection of McTom, last seasons Casemiro and Eriksen and Bruno playing a midfield role. Give those minutes to a youngling or whatever. If it fails, at least we know and can sell him as PL proven. Wasting minutes on a 28 year old who from the start on is considered as a backup is bonkers - we have to get the 1st team right and the bench should consist of players pushing for a 1st team spot or being pushed away a few weeks ago. Utility players are nice - but you don't waste money on them when your midfield is dire to begin with.

Everytime I see this thread bumped to the top of the page my heart sinks a little.

He was bang average in Italy (as anyone who watched him regularly warned us & as the stats showed) and he was below average (that’s being kind) in the PL. Just absolutely nowhere near good enough either technically or physically.

Just another one of ETH’s nepo signings that’s nowhere near good enough.

Its madness. First it was his one tackle against Mbappe, now its his supposed "great game" in the FA Cup final. Madness, I have no other idea where such desperation comes from.

No issue with stating that he should have seen more gametime. But that isn't moving the point forwards, isn't it? We shouldn't buy him based on him not getting enough chances.
And we haven't been more solid at the end of the season. This is a myth ffs. The only thing, that improved were results, we still provided opposition good chances on a regular basis. We shouldn't buy him because he was the least shit from a selection of McTom, last seasons Casemiro and Eriksen and Bruno playing a midfield role. Give those minutes to a youngling or whatever. If it fails, at least we know and can sell him as PL proven. Wasting minutes on a 28 year old who from the start on is considered as a backup is bonkers - we have to get the 1st team right and the bench should consist of players pushing for a 1st team spot or being pushed away a few weeks ago. Utility players are nice - but you don't waste money on them when your midfield is dire to begin with.

First off I'm not actually advocating signing him I'm only saying he barely got a chance after Xmas last season.

Results improved and we stopped conceding 25-30 shots a match, albeit only for 3-4 games. In my book that was a bit more solid than the shitshow that was the est of the season.

It was a great game from him, no sure why it a) needs air quotes or b) deserves downplaying.

I wish we'd stop assessing players by their individual performances and be more focused on how they play with certain players in certain formations.

If we are capable of playing a high line every week amrabat might be acceptable. Not world class I grant you but someone who fits a role.

We all roasted Sabitzer whilst he was here but he looked mint in the euros.

First off I'm not actually advocating signing him I'm only saying he barely got a chance after Xmas last season.

Results improved and we stopped conceding 25-30 shots a match, albeit only for 3-4 games. In my book that was a bit more solid than the shitshow that was the est of the season.
Based on understat (in descending chronological order):

Brighton W 0-2 (xG 1.97-1.00) 17 Shots against (3 on target)

Newcastle W 3-2 (xG 1.5-2.28) 21 Shots against (8 on target)

Arsenal L 0-1 (xG 0.55-1.73) 11 Shots against (5 on target)

Crystal Palace L 4-0 (xG 2.07-0.34) 18 Shots against (10 on target)

Burnley D 1-1 (xG 3.06-1.90) 16 Shots against (7 on target)

Sheffield W 4-2 (xG 3.51-1.21) 10 Shots against (4 on target)

Bournemouth D 2-2 (xG 2.39 vs 1.52) 20 Shots against (5 on target)

The things, that painted the end of the season in a better light are the results and nothing more. We may have looked a bit more organised and more defensively sound compared to ourselves (which isn't the highest challenge to overcome) but we weren't really effective i.e. fullfilling the task of preventing good chances. Brighton and Newcastle lost those games at least as much as we won them because of how bad they were with their chances. The only games we came up with the better xG from those 7 are the matches against Burnley and Sheffield...

It was a great game from him, no sure why it a) needs air quotes or b) deserves downplaying.
Fair enough, I guess it is a bit of a subjective thing and obviously we can't really separate us winning a trophy against a fierce rival as the underdog from the actual game. I also think we played well and executed a rather simple gameplan good enough so City wasn't able to overcome it on the day. Even though it certainly helped that they somehow were stuck in 2nd gear.

I am happy Amrabat was able to participate but I am pretty sure if we had lost that game 1:0 nobody would have talked about a great performance from us. Results matter when looking back. See above.

I wish we'd stop assessing players by their individual performances and be more focused on how they play with certain players in certain formations.

If we are capable of playing a high line every week amrabat might be acceptable. Not world class I grant you but someone who fits a role.

We all roasted Sabitzer whilst he was here but he looked mint in the euros.
Sabitzer was as much not the right guy for us as Amrabat isn't the right guy. You can't just go look at a player who left and now plays in a completely different team in a different role. Sabitzer is a jack of all trades and flourishes in a well organized counter pressing setup. Such a thing was(is) simply not there (yet) at United. And the one game people rave about Amrabat, the match against City has seen us not play a high line at all, so not sure how you come to this conclusion.

First sentence I am fully on board though. Which is why Amrabat shouldn't be an option for us. When we play with two high 8s the remaining player has to cover much space and has to be dynamic. Amrabat simply isn' that. As replacement for the Eriksen-role next to Casemiro from 2 years ago - I am on board but thats a thing of the past now.

Last edited: