Sofyan Amrabat | To Fenerbahçe SK pending medical

Would rather give Toby Collyer the spot TBH, specially if we sign Ugarte or another CM, given what Ambrabat offered last season I cannot see that Collyer would offer less and if managed correctly has a much higher ceiling based on Amrabat's physical limitations

He's just the last resort, in my opinion. We obviously would prefer to get better, but good to keep him warm if everything else goes to pot.

It will not be that high again IF they were to loan him

The option to buy was 20m€ IIRC I don't think Fiorentina would loan him again especially with his contract expiring, something Amrabat himself wouldn't be comfortable with (both for work security next year and wage wise). At that rate all parties would rather just negotiate a transfer.

That is not correct and you know it - he had one REALLY good game (FA Cup Final) , but at the end of last season - he had 2-3 good games in addition to that one. Brighton and Newcastle being 2 of them

Depends on what constitutes 'good'. But even when he wasn't poor I didn't really see that he was adding much to the team. He was meh, but because he didn't make any obvious mistakes it's seen as him doing 'good'.

He's not the only one. A lot of players have their performances inflated just by not being awful or making stupid mistakes because we've become accustomed to seeing mistakes.

The option to buy was 20m€ IIRC I don't think Fiorentina would loan him again especially with his contract expiring, something Amrabat himself wouldn't be comfortable with (both for work security next year and wage wise). At that rate all parties would rather just negotiate a transfer.
Exactly what I was saying to someone above. Its not in the sellers interests to loan him now

That is not correct and you know it - he had one REALLY good game (FA Cup Final) , but at the end of last season - he had 2-3 good games in addition to that one. Brighton and Newcastle being 2 of them
Definitely not Brighton, that was arguably his worst game for us. He did have a few good games towards the end of the season though. He also had a good game on his debut, plus a few other games throughout the season as well.

He's just the last resort, in my opinion. We obviously would prefer to get better, but good to keep him warm if everything else goes to pot.
Think this is the case. We want Ugarte, if we can get him then maybe we'd consider that enough (I wouldn't personally) and give up on Amrabat, unless we then sell one of McT/Casemiro and need another option there. Doesn't look like there's a rush for Amrabat, and the longer we leave it probably the cheaper he gets.

This whole thread is like when I go on HotUkDeals and see something I don’t need but at an all time low price.

Depends on what constitutes 'good'. But even when he wasn't poor I didn't really see that he was adding much to the team. He was meh, but because he didn't make any obvious mistakes it's seen as him doing 'good'.

He's not the only one. A lot of players have their performances inflated just by not being awful or making stupid mistakes because we've become accustomed to seeing mistakes.

I am not saying he was great - but if we use him correctly (like in the FA Cup Final) - he adds something we lack in midfield. And he wouldn't be my first choice of course, but if we can get him for a very cheap fee - why not.

Think this is the case. We want Ugarte, if we can get him then maybe we'd consider that enough (I wouldn't personally) and give up on Amrabat, unless we then sell one of McT/Casemiro and need another option there. Doesn't look like there's a rush for Amrabat, and the longer we leave it probably the cheaper he gets.
Yep, if the worst outcome is we end up with is Amrabaat, that's much better than previous seasons where we'd either massively overpay for someone or get no one.

Would rather give Toby Collyer the spot TBH, specially if we sign Ugarte or another CM, given what Ambrabat offered last season I cannot see that Collyer would offer less and if managed correctly has a much higher ceiling based on Amrabat's physical limitations
Exactly this. I'd rather trust Collyer and Gore when he's back from injury. They're not that far off Amrabat in terms of ability but much higher potential.

He was also helped by ETH changing to sensible tactics in the last few games so every player looked better. Even then he didn't show enough.

We should keep him. He is in the only one in the squad so far playing the DM role according to what it is. No nonsense like Casemiro thinking that he is Pirlo regen with his ridiculously difficult passing attempts.

Where should he play to get the best out of him?
Infront of the back four, as the deepest midfielder. Keep reading in these forums we need a DLP. That's exactly what Amrabat did for fiorentina. It's just that he wasn't used properly by ten hag.

I don't see zubimendi being an upgrade on Amrabat at all and he's a forum favourite with some for DLP role.

If Ten Hag has fixed whatever mental diversion informed his midfield set up last season and is going to play a more compact shape then Amrabat might be useful, if it is the 4-1-4-1 with the DM isolated deep again then he is far too immobile and limited to be effective in that role.

If this guy stays on, it's yet another blow of judgement from this manager. No doubt.

Last edited:
If Ten Hag has fixed whatever mental diversion informed his midfield set up last season and is going to play a more compact shape then Amrabat might be useful, if it is the 4-1-4-1 with the DM isolated deep again then he is far too immobile and limited to be effective in that role.
If preseason is anything to go by, that experiment is over.

If this guy stays on, it's yet another blow off judgement from this manager. No doubt.
You think so necessarily? If we go for Ugarte, want to give Collyer a chance but not too much responsibility, and to generally play with two defensively sound midfielders generally, not just one, I’m not sure Amrabat would be the worst back up option for pocket change.

This whole thread is like when I go on HotUkDeals and see something I don’t need but at an all time low price.
Me and an LG C3 a few weeks back. Walked right in to it and couldn't turn it down at the price it was at.

Yeah, don't see the point of Amrabat when we have Collyer waiting in the wings. Use your home grown youth to fill in as squad players when necessary.

Letting him leave would be a stupid move. He finally acclimatises, is best player in an FA Cup final and we get rid?

Letting him leave would be a stupid move. He finally acclimatises, is best player in an FA Cup final and we get rid?
Yes because it was one good game in a season he prove himself not of the required quality. Otherwise let's just give mctoninay a 10 year contract as he's had many impressive displays

Yes because it was one good game in a season he prove himself not of the required quality. Otherwise let's just give mctoninay a 10 year contract as he's had many impressive displays
Bit unfair on Amrabat really,never got a run of games until the end of the season and then started to produce better performances.

I get what the club are trying to do in lowering the fee to be paid but it is a no brainer to bring him back. He and Amad were far and away our most improving players towards the end of the season and he was one of the critical reasons we won that FA Cup final. If Casemiro played instead, that was a definite loss. Yet all he has gotten on this forum is constant castigation after one season in which he was either barely played or played out of position when he got on the pitch.

Now we're in a situation where our midfield options are Eriksen, Casemiro, Mctominay and Btec Mctominay from the U21s two weeks from the start of the season. Enjoy. :lol::lol: :lol: