Semi-finals | Spain vs France | Netherlands vs England

He's trying to block the shot, what else is he supposed to do? Jumpin head first?

I expect we'll see all defenders from now on not trying to block shots just in case they get kicked and have a penalty given against them. Just stand their hands behind their back to make sure they don't give away a handball either.

I've made that pretty clear. Either defend in a way that isn't reckless and dangerous to your opponents or learn not to cry when you have a decision given against you. His intent to win the ball is totally irrelevant.

Do you really in your heart of hearts believe that isn't a clear foul? If so I'm really struggling for what to say.

If United can beat City, which in my opinion is more unlikely than this England team beating Spain, it can happen. England will have to be on their top form all game though
True. When you look at it like that

No, you guys are going home.

The tears taste delicious!

tears-cartman.gif

Apart from the penalty situation. We can all agree the referee was absolutely awful.

TBF he didn't actually award the penalty, was just told to go to the monitor and we know by now 99% of refs change their mind when seeing a replay.

The Dutch should've got a corner near the end but think there was still 2-3 minutes between that and Ollie's goal.

Beyond that I can't think of too many terrible calls even if it's incredible he got such a high profile game at this tournament considering his history. Is he actually rated as Bundesliga top ref by Uefa then?

Not sure about that. I think they will win but they didn’t find it easy against France who have a similarly negative approach to England.
I’d say they was very comfortable against France. Thing with Spain is they can go a goal up and control the game very very good.

If United can beat City, which in my opinion is more unlikely than this England team beating Spain, it can happen. England will have to be on their top form all game though

I think England could play at their worst and still win. Truth is we have not really ever gotten out of second gear in this tournament and we are in the final.

The side with by far the best players are just the best team regardless.

Bingo. Studs up and late. Pen all day long.
[/QUOTE]

It really is clear as day. I celebrated the pen before it even went to VAR cause I knew it was so bloody obvious.

Imagine if England win it like that again on Sunday, but Kobbie Mainoo scores the winner. It would be unbelievable.
That guy would have had an unbelievable year. Winning the Fa cup with a goal… and if that happened.

I honestly don't know who to root for in the final. Do I think England has a chance? No. But I'll root for them if they re less divey cnuts than tonight when playing against Spain. Shouldn't be too difficult. Spain will probably dive twice for each time England does it.

The thought of seeing Rodri lift the trophy makes me shiver so it's England for me all the way. Spain are clear favourites, though, and it could be game over before we know it if Spain score an early goal.

He was putting a foot up to block a shot and Kane kicks him on the follow through. Is he supposed to dive in with his head or just let him have a free shot on goal?

Never a penalty for me, ridiculous decision.

He was reckless, because he has to block if he doesn't arrive fast and first, not going into Kane's foot and actually touch it, you have to keep a minimun distance in case you accidentally clash with the rival.
In any case players have to acknowledge that this are VAR times, once the VAR looks at that, the more than probaly they'll call it. It's kind of soft? yes, but was Dumfries playing reckless under current rules and tech? yes too.

Leaving aside this penalty, I'll give you that in today's game the very same play even with VAR sometimes it's call and in other don't but players sadly has to be aware of it, Dumfries knew he fvcked it up.

His argument is stupid as feck also, “defenders will stop trying to block shots”, er no mate, defenders will continue to try blocking shots as they always have done, knowing that they run a risk that coming second to that ball might mean a pen.

They know especially the risk if they are going in fecking studs up to block it.

The first half was really good from England. Controlled most of it despite being a goal down.

Second half was more even and the Dutch managed to get a handle on England's attacking threat. Kane should've come off earlier. He's been poor all tournament. Great finish from Watkins.

No idea what to make of Southgate. Anyone with eyes can see that England haven't been good in this tournament, and seem to come unstuck against good opposition. But two finals and a World Cup semi final in four tournaments is pretty good by English standards.

Got a feeling Spain will win on Sunday but I'll back the team all the way.

Mainoo and Foden were standouts in the first half.

England deserved to win it but come on, some of the penalty calls nowadays are just ridiculous no matter who you support, what country you're from etc. The ball had already been hit by Kane, it was miles off target and he kicked a defender who was attempting to block a shot. Even the referee analyst on ITV said she was baffled by the decision :lol: . The handball rules are a joke as well over the past few years. It feels like manufactured drama at times with this VAR stuff no matter who you support. Anyway the Dutch can't complain about the result.

Why do some people hate Weghorst so much? Legitimately don't get it. Seems like a lovely chap.

I abhored watching him play for my club, couldn't stand the sympathy he garnered because he "tried hard" (our fans treated him like a make a wish striker), and honestly something about the "passion" thing he showed just came off a bit fake/not genuine

Obviously has nothing to do with Weghorst the human being, for all I know he's great. Strictly talking about the footballer. Couldn't stand him.

England deserved to win it but come on, some of the penalty calls nowadays are just ridiculous no matter who you support, what country you're from etc. The ball had already been hit by Kane, it was miles off target and he kicked a defender who was attempting to block a shot. Even the referee analyst on ITV said she was baffled by the decision :lol: . The handball rules are a joke as well over the past few years. It feels like manufactured drama at times with this VAR stuff no matter who you support. Anyway the Dutch can't complain about the result.

Whether you like the rules of the game or not is irrelevant. It was a clear and obvious penalty.

The first half was really good from England. Controlled most of it despite being a goal down.

Second half was more even and the Dutch managed to get a handle on England's attacking threat. Kane should've come off earlier. He's been poor all tournament. Great finish from Watkins.

No idea what to make of Southgate. Anyone with eyes can see that England haven't been good in this tournament, and seem to come unstuck against good opposition. But two finals and a World Cup semi final in four tournaments is pretty good by English standards.

England won despite Sir Gareth. We were done by half time. England battered us. Then I guess Southgate scolded his team for making it look too easy and go back a few gears allowing us a fighting chance.

Still, better team won.

Does anyone have Felix Zwayer's address I want to send him a handbag.

That first half system was the best they've had it all tournament. Rice let Mainoo dictate more proceedings instead of trying to do so himself, Saka played very wide allowing Foden to play in that half space near him and have those two combine with Mainoo, and Bellingham seemed to be told to stay further left than normal. Space wasn't as clogged in the middle so build up flowed much easier than it had. Pushed the fullbacks higher and had Rice sit deeper as almost a 3rd CB instead of trying to play next to Mainoo and went from there.

Problem is as the game goes on and gets a bit more transitional, Kane is basically useless in that game state and the lack of runners turns England's attack to mud. I assume Kane will start again but Spain plays extremely high and that high line is ripe for Watkins and other runners to exploit.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Spain have been solid throughout and definitely favourites. But honestly just want to shut up most of you England hating United fans tbh. A textbook example of a Walking contradiction. Don’t understand why you’re all even here…

I don’t hate England , I dislike the bollox over cocky media and thuggish fans though.

I was at the ireland friendly abandoned because a bunch of English co.ksuckers started ripping up the stands and laying into passive Irish fans. As I’ve gotten older , my dislike of England has really melted to the point that I actually like to see England go far in tournaments. Keeps it interesting. I was at the World Cup in Japan in 2002 and the amount of English fans supporting Ireland over England was very surprising. Was down to the fact you could have a laugh at an Irish match regardless of result. So it sounds like a lot of English , English fans don’t love supporting the English team aswell.

Supporting an English team, that I’ve probably Been to watch most seasons since early 90s, has nothing to do with England. I used to like seeing United/English players do well. Particularly found it fascinating how much crap English fans gave becks after 98 and how fickle they were when he showed great character to rise above it.

I don’t get this “why do you want to see England do poor and United bad”. In international football I don’t give a rats arse about anybody but my own country who are currently a disaster , think we appointed a former dentist as manager!!. I enjoy watching smaller nations or underdogs do well and like to see quality football (rare as it can be in international football). Not really sure what supporting United and England has, the EPL is no longer English , it’s a global brand, sure there’s more fans outside of England supporting English teams, it’s why the league is so rich.

It's this entire thing with "studs up". Same way you'll see a player clearly win the ball but after doing so step on the players foot with their studs and it's a foul. I hate it personally, sure punish the studs up thing for blatant reckless challenges and potential red cards but when it's just in the flow of the game it's stupid.

Whether you like the rules of the game or not is irrelevant. It was a clear and obvious penalty.
It's making for a crappier game though in my opinion. Regardless of the result, i do hope we move away from harsh handball rules and 'any contact in the box which doesn't get the ball, even the slightest touch= a penalty'. You only have to look at that Dalot penalty against Chelsea which was complete bs too, and i'd say the same thing if it went for United.

Always funny in my group of mates that it's the Ajax fans who have the hardest time coping with a loss for Oranje.

Us Feyenoorders learned to enjoy losing long ago.

I don’t hate England , I dislike the bollox over cocky media and thuggish fans though.

I was at the ireland friendly abandoned because a bunch of English co.ksuckers started ripping up the stands and laying into passive Irish fans. As I’ve gotten older , my dislike of England has really melted to the point that I actually like to see England go far in tournaments. Keeps it interesting. I was at the World Cup in Japan in 2002 and the amount of English fans supporting Ireland over England was very surprising. Was down to the fact you could have a laugh at an Irish match regardless of result. So it sounds like a lot of English , English fans don’t love supporting the English team aswell.

Supporting an English team, that I’ve probably Been to watch most seasons since early 90s, has nothing to do with England. I used to like seeing United/English players do well. Particularly found it fascinating how much crap English fans gave becks after 98 and how fickle they were when he showed great character to rise above it.

I don’t get this “why do you want to see England do poor and United bad”. In international football I don’t give a rats arse about anybody but my own country. I enjoy watching smaller nations or underdogs do well and like to see quality football (rare as it can be in international football). Not really sure what supporting United and England has, the EPL is no longer English , it’s a global brand, sure there’s more fans outside of England supporting English teams, it’s why the league is so rich.
English Premier League

[/QUOTE]

Yes. But Saka handled the ball just prior, which could have ruled out a pen.

Happy that England are in the final but then I remember this probably means Southgate is around for another 4 years

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif

Someone post the clip of Saka handballing before the penalty, I cant get it to work :lol: