Semi-finals | Spain vs France | Netherlands vs England

I can understand why the Dutch were angry at the end, I felt every 50/50 went Englands way. Looking at the penalty again though, I still think that was the correct call.

It can always be called the EPL, thats the name of the product. How many English owners of the top teams ? How many of the apparant 600 million United fans are English ? Would you say man United is an English man United fan centric club ?

Bit by bit, the league sells itself off to the highest bidder. Even the footballs changed from blood and guts English physical high tempo stuff, to more European kind of flair stuff. It’s more a product than a league at this stage.

German club fans own the majority of their clubs. This is what should have happened in EPL but they didn’t care what money came into the sport.
We will have to agree to disagree as to me the EPL is the top level English League.

In a weird way, it kind of has that potential feeling. They just seem to have a nack of scraping through games , Deshamps doesn’t apologise for it , neither will Southgate.
And nor should he, his job is to win, that's all that matters

https://x.com/TimKosterNL/status/1811155987463807418

Look at this. Saka handballed, so it never should come to the Kane/Dumfries clash.

Needed that measuring device, it sort of brushes his hand from deflecting off his thigh but not 100% clear. Second one irrelevant as by then Dumfries has in VAR opinion kicked Kane when to me he just put his foot up to block the shot and Kane kicked into him.

Needed that measuring device, it sort of brushes his hand from deflecting off his thigh but not 100% clear. Second one irrelevant as by then Dumfries has in VAR opinion kicked Kane when to me he just put his foot up to block the shot and Kane kicked into him.
yeah Kane was never impeded, his lowered his foot after the shot after which he hit Dumfries, not the other way around

England by far the better team aside from 30 minutes of stalemate in the second half- besides the two goals, they had a shot cleared off the line and another goal ruled out for a marginal offside. Southgate should have made the subs 10 minutes earlier if you want to be critical.

Excessive use of smilies
Kane was never impeded, the only reason he got hit after striking the ball was that he lowered his foot.

This penalty is only a thing because Zwayer wanted to seem impartial after the Bellingham thing. Uefa is fully to blame for this.
:lol:

Looking at top posts on Twitter for 'England penalty' that give an opinion, there are 26 'not a pen' posts before you get to one saying 'pen'.

That's about as unanimous as it gets.

England v Spain is becoming a habit in finals. U21 Euro's, Women's World Cup, Euro 24.

How come? He got Kane's leg.

Not every collision or bit of contact is worthy of being awarded a penalty. He was trying to block the shot in a reasonable manner (no obvious excess lunging and attempts to go through him with lots of weight behind it, de Jong style) , but Kane gets there marginally quicker and follows through. Timing was awkward and they've collided, but a defender has to be entitled to that sort of 50/50 attempt at a clean block.

Look at this. Saka handballed, so it never should come to the Kane/Dumfries clash.

It hits his thigh and it possibly brushes his arm but it hardly looks intentional. The ball bounces up onto his forearm.

Put it this way, the Dutch were poor and deserved nothing at all from the game. The Swiss were better opponents.

England clearly played the better football even with Kane being a statue most of the game. Kobbie was oustanding first half and Foden, in all fairness, looked more like the player he is at City.

The penalty would probably never have been given pre-VAR, but with VAR, any contact after the shot is gonna be called back. So as soon as I saw the replay and Kane making contact with Dumfries' studs, I knew VAR would give the penalty.

The penalty would probably never have been given pre-VAR, but with VAR, any contact after the shot is gonna be called back. So as soon as I saw the replay and Kane making contact with Dumfries' studs, I knew VAR would give the penalty.
Haha that’s one way of putting it!

if you’re going to get a coffee at work tomorrow, and barbara from accounts hits you with a block like that when you get to the kitchen, you’re going straight to hr. clear penalty.

First replay I’ve seen of that incident. How the feck is that a penalty? The Dutch player kicks the ball and Kane kicks his foot. Did the ref just award the free to the player with the most melodramatic reaction?! Classic Harry Kane. Always cheating.

First replay I’ve seen of that incident. How the feck is that a penalty? The Dutch player kicks the ball and Kane kicks his foot. Did the ref just award the free to the player with the most melodramatic reaction?! Classic Harry Kane. Always cheating.
The Dutch player didn’t touch the ball. That angle is deceptive.

Kane is such a fecking cheat. Really can’t stand him. He’s a big lump but he is constantly throwing himself on the ground trying to win free kicks.

Kane for England is literally just Ashley Barnes. Having a nice sit down on the halfway line and being given a free kick would be his signature move, if trying to break the defender's neck during every other aerial duel wasn't already his signature move.

I went in not really caring who won but after 15 minutes of watching Mainoo i realised i was supporting England. Odd times.
I dont think the Dutch had the quality to trouble Spain anyway. England look like they'll be both terrible and brilliant and somehow win.

Watching England’s first half performance today has got me thinking that they may have half a decent chance of making it very difficult for Spain to waltz to victory this weekend. England might even make history …again. The pain from losing the last final should add an extra impetus.

Hate to say it but Southgate may just be the second most successful England manager ever.

Kane is such a fecking cheat. Really can’t stand him. He’s a big lump but he is constantly throwing himself on the ground trying to win free kicks.
Can’t argue, to be honest. But having watched Spain this tournament, England could need that if they want a chance in the final.

Well deserved win. England played some beautiful football in the first half.
Second half was dreadful and boring.
Ref was bent as feck.

Kobbie was immense in the first half and Watkins needs to start against Spain if England want to have any chance.
Agreed. Spain were also great first half and poor ish 2nd half. They are slight favourites but will have to be at their best to beat England