Semi-finals | Spain vs France | Netherlands vs England

I was thinking that watching them against France. Actually thought the Portuguese played the better football in that game and ironically had they dropped Ronaldo , even for a more team orientated Morata, they’d of won.

The technical football from Portugal and Spain at times is great to watch. Unlocking teams, not just hoping explosive players will grab a goal or make a chance.

Agree wholeheartedly -- negative tactics killed Portugal's chances in that game. They would have put France to the sword if they had been slightly more positive.

Obviously also Germany, as they went toe to toe and were extremely unlucky to lose that game and probably deserved a win if anything. Portugal if they had the right manager who would call up different people and manage them differently, who knows, but the same could be said about England and France.

Having watched all games featuring Spain this tournament their game against Germany was definitely their worst and on another day Germany would have gone through, yes. At face value Germany deserved to win. But the elephant in the room about that game, though, is how Kroos managed to stay on the pitch for the entire 120 minutes despite committing cynical foul after cynical foul.

I was hiding socks all around my bedroom at 16, this kid is winning semifinals for his nation at the same age.

It's one thing that I find impressive in Gymnastics and Swimming, there is often some 16 years old at the World Cups or Olympics.

Indeed, maybe Zidane will step-up and give it a go or maybe Thierry Henry.

Henry is very likely given that he's managing their Olympics side right now -- I do feel that it's an audition role for him. Zidane is actually even more ideal but what the feck is going on with him and being a football manager?

Happy Spain won it, can’t really imagine how fecking atrocious a France - England final would‘ve been.

Fairly impressive being that negative when you have a squad like that..

Henry is very likely given that he's managing their Olympics side right now -- I do feel that it's an audition role for him. Zidane is actually even more ideal but what the feck is going on with him and being a football manager?

Waiting for Ancelotti to feck off from Madrid probably

I hope England don't Greece there way to Euros. Spain have been class to watch all tournament.

Completely disrespectful comment. Greece didn't have a lucky and easy draw on their way to the final, and they were only outplayed by Czechia in the knock-out games. They were better than Portugal both in the premiere and the final, and they were better than France in the quarter finals, even got unlucky not to score more. And most importantly, they played with passion and resilience, something that this England team has not shown at all.

@criticalanalysis that Yamal version is just unplayable for periods of the game. There's no answer to that except to be a brilliant player yourself.

He barely beat a man today and was still lethal. Those plays through the inside are so vast and problematic because he needs no time to play them - you can't get bodies to him in time.

I couldn't watch the match :wenger: but I saw the goals and the first thing I thought when Yamal scored was "see, I told @Fortitude Shaw needs to show him down the line!" :lol:. Although I think it was Rabiot, who got done by a very classy feint but it was a bit too easy for me. I'm probably being very harsh and it's just a Robben scenario where you know what is going to happen but can't stop it.

To be fair I was specifically talking about 1 vs 1s in the channel, where I think it's possible to reduce his influence. However, that's if you can isolate him there, which is a big ask as Spain moved the ball around beautifully so he's able to interplay more and find those pocket of spaces much easier. If and that's a big IF he's up against Shaw, those scenarios may happen more because there is no way England aren't camping in the box and be as open/willing to attack as France.

The kid is the real deal.

Just saw there were CL Qualifiers on today and more on tomorrow too.

So at least there's an alternative to watching England. Think I'll watch Klaksvik vs FC Differdange.

Completely disrespectful comment. Greece didn't have a lucky and easy draw on their way to the final, and they were only outplayed by Czechia in the knock-out games. They were better than Portugal both in the premiere and the final, and they were better than France in the quarter finals, even got unlucky not to score more. And most importantly, they played with passion and resilience, something that this England team has not shown at all.
Good point on the draws they were given. Greece were absolutely shite though, no rewriting history either. They had massive luck to win that tournament. Anti football, Sam Allardyce dream they were. Czech Republic were robbed.

I’d be happy if United had a look at him

Very good player but a number 8, which is a position we are well stocked, with Bruno, Mount, Mainoo and McTominay. You could argue Olmo would bring more quality, and I wouldn't disagree, but I believe we should be prioritising other positions first.

Ah well looking at Spain it really doesn't matter who wins tomorrow night because they are different level

Good riddance to the French. Horrible bunch and footballing justice has prevailed. Delighted they couldn’t just speed and power their way to the title.

Good point on the draws they were given. Greece were absolutely shite though, no rewriting history either. They had massive luck to win that tournament. Anti football, Sam Allardyce dream they were. Czech Republic were robbed.

The only thing that is absolutely shite is your memory.

Greece were absolutely enjoyable to watch in Euro 2004, Southgate's England makes even United's current football appealing.

Aymeric Laporte must be feeling really smug right now.

Spain has always been one of the better teams in the world for the past 10 years or so even after their world cup triumph.

Their failures to win were mostly down to errors from a few players (De Gea etc) or losing via penalty shootout. So it's not a surprise they are doing very well now.

And let's be honest. Spain have many top players who deserve more recognition.

Greece's win was fantastic for football and all respect to them but, yeah, it really was not pretty to watch from what I recall. A smaller nation using whatever is in their means to progress is fine in my opinion, even if it means parking the bus, but what Portugal, England and France have done in this tournament isn't really all that admirable given the wealth of phenomenal attacking players they have.

If England play like they've done for most of this tournament I can see a repeat of the 2012 final, an absolute pasting.

Greece were absolutely enjoyable to watch in Euro 2004, Southgate's England makes even United's current football appealing.
Are you sure United's current football is more appealing?

Nonsense. Football fans all over were rooting for the fairytale aspect of Greece going all the way but on the pitch they were unanimously deemed an eyesore. The Czech Republic were comfortably the best side that tournament.

my children will be faithfully glued to the radio, listening to the match as delivered by the british broadcasting corporation. it’ll be hard watching the tears stream down their faces, as they look out of the window and see illegal immigrants watching the game on itv, on a 65” tv that they purchased with their benefit money. but it’s an important life lesson for them, and one that will ensure they always vote for farage.
ffs are you joking or half joking?
Put on the sound from BBC and watch the game on NOS.nl with a VPN.

Greece's win was fantastic for football and all respect to them but, yeah, it really was not pretty to watch from what I recall. A smaller nation using whatever is in their means to progress is fine in my opinion, even if it means parking the bus, but what Portugal, England and France have done in this tournament isn't really all that admirable given the wealth of phenomenal attacking players they have.
It was fantastic for them and I think most people don’t begrudge them the success given their status, but for football it was a loss. Between the Greeks and the Italians win in 04/06 plus the success of defensive coaches like Benitez and Mourinho at club level, that stretch in the mid 2000s was an eyesore to watch as it encouraged a lot of teams both at international and domestic level to adopt ultra defensive, parking the bus tactics.

And after weeks of "Spain play the best football", "France arw unwatchable" "France is just defence and talent, no team" "Spain plays attacking football and want to beat you with their play"

Spain proceeds to beat France with two "talent go brr" moments and defence :lol:

Yeah, thats how i remember it. The underdog that absolutely everyone wanted to lose.
Not true at all.

Greece fought Portugal at Portugal's home ground in the grand final. There was quite a number of supporters for the underdog.

I don't think Greece was boring. The Greeks players were big and strong and they used their physicality to their advantage. They won every match in the knock out stages and did not rely on penalty shootouts to win. They were like Italy in their approach: more defensive but will also attack. They beat France with Zidane and Henry.

Given that Italy also won Euro 2020 and they rely on penalty shootouts to win, I think Greece is more deserving of their triumph and more fun to watch than Italy.

Deserved by Spain, they look class even though they put on a defensive in the 2nd half. France was attrocious throghout the tournament and thank God they're out.
Shame Martinez didnt have the guts to drop Ronaldo cause Portugal instead of France would have been a whole other game.

Were they fck, as an underdog story it was great. On the football side, it was awful.