Scott McTominay | Napoli

10 goals in 13 games for Scotland.
Impressive especially as he has scored a decent amount of goals against the big boys (Spain etc) rather than being a flat track bully.

He could run riot in Italy with Lukaku as the target man.

Will definitely be watching Napoli highlights this year. Seems like he could be really prolific playing alongside Lukaku (who thrives in Seria A himself). Hope he kills it there.

People really having a moan because McTominay was sold? :lol: Wow.

I mean, yeah I get it - he was a valuable squad member when used correctly, but he wanted more guaranteed minutes then we could offer, so instead decided to move on. Says a lot about him and his mentality. Wish him all the best in Italy and will try and follow Napoli highlights, but people acting here like it was some massive mistake selling him.

Seems like he could be really prolific playing alongside Lukaku
I hope you're right as I always liked McT, but at United they played 37 games together and didn't combine once to score. Positions and tactics will be different at Napoli so maybe it will change.

Fecking love McTerminator. I know folk will be fed up of hearing it, but I'm gutted we sold him.
I know he wasn't elite and he probably shouldn't have been a starter for us, but you look at the shite we've brought into the midfield over the years and he's always been dependable and saved our arse on multiple occasions.

I know he wasn't elite and he probably shouldn't have been a starter for us, but you look at the shite we've brought into the midfield over the years and he's always been dependable and saved our arse on multiple occasions.
Indeed. I understand all the reasons around selling him and I'm definitely biased, but I'd absolutely not have sold him.

He played too deep for us.

He has a strikers instinct to either play as a forward, a SS or most likely the CAM who runs in to the box to finish chances off.

Considering how Ten Hag used VDB at Ajax, i wonder why he didnt try that here with Mctominay but i guess that's most probably because of Bruno Fernandes playing as our CAM.

For me Bruno is more of a CM anyway as he has lost that goal scoring ability he had in his first few seasons here. Im always someone who prefers Bruno deeper anyway as if we do lose the ball from one of his eccentric passes - it wont be so high up the pitch where theres no one to recover & his recovery and energy is almost Fred like anyway.

Mctominay doesn’t remind me of Fletcher in any way. Fletcher would get on the ball and use it well

Indeed. The degredation of standards since his time here has warped people's minds, or they werent around when he was. Cleverley was a far better midfielder than McTominay for example

As I have stated previously, I don't watch national teams. Your remark about my interest in the sport shows clearly that you are not paying attention.

If my interest would somehow go beyond that, I certainly would not choose to watch Scotland vs Poland. No one cares about a game like that aside from people from Scotland and Poland.

Those "opposite arguments" state my position. That's different. More on your faulty logic as we go along.

Here we go. You're arguing against something that I didn't argue for. How great Scotty was or wasn't, is not the topic at hand.

Delusional, ok. Do you know what that word means? Let me explain:

Your position is that before the game started you would have picked McTominay over Casemiro.

You're saying that among those two players Scotty is the better choice.

You're implying that you knew that Casemiro would have a very bad day and therefore Scotty starting would mean that Scotty would have delivered a better performance.

What recent Scotland performances? When was that, months ago and that is your argument that his "recent performances" would put him ahead of Casemiro?

That is pretty delusional.

I don't like the player, I don't care about the person. Useful players don't have to be the best in the world. I didn't say what you're implying.

My issue with Scotty is moreso what he, Maguire, Lingard and the other useful players stood for. Mediocrity. Failure. Embarrassment. Lack of everything. They symbolised our downfall. They marked our new level.

Yes, I talk about standards. Specifically the ones we lost along the way.

SAF had standards and he had useful players. I believe Park was a level above the ones you mentioned, but I'll take the others.

They weren't great players but they worked in the SAF system. What was his system? To make the team stronger than the sum of it's parts. That's one of the most important things that set him apart. That's what we're lacking today (among many other things).

Under philosopher Ten Hag the team is weaker than the sum of it's parts. Ten Hag is a disaster.

It's really interesting, fascinating even. SAF thinking of Fletcher is what, an absolution?

It's meaningless. Meaningless because McTominay reminded me of Fletcher right away, too. A limited player, not starter material, an option from the bench in cup games. That's it.

It could have worked under SAF and I mean that. Darren Gibson and Tom Cleverly worked under SAF. They started CL games.

In reality philosopher Ten Hag is not SAF and therefore

a) I don't trust the philosopher and

b) Pele McTominay never worked out.

I'm glad he is gone.

I get it though - people like you had a vision right before the Liverpool game and would have picked Scotty ahead of Casemiro, based on merit.

Yeah, standards. Some have them, some don't, some lost them and some are just confused about the world we're living in.
Interesting to see McTominay play well again last night, against a very good midfield.
Once again Scotlands standout player.
But of course standards etc.

Impressive especially as he has scored a decent amount of goals against the big boys (Spain etc) rather than being a flat track bully.

It is about playing players in their right position. Steve Clarke, the Scotland manager has got the best from him by finding his best position. Unlike any Man Utd manager

I hope you're right as I always liked McT, but at United they played 37 games together and didn't combine once to score. Positions and tactics will be different at Napoli so maybe it will change.
Tbh Lukaku was absolutely wank for us and we never utilised Mct then the way he's being played recently. He's not a midfielder, more of a SS/Attacker now.

I don’t get why people are saying we should have kept him. The guy basically wanted to leave.

To be fair, didn't he play as a CB (even if in an emergency ?) for Scotland ? I feel McTominay's best position or attributes being refined -or discovered so to speak- wasn't uniquely a club selective blindness ?

I don’t get why people are saying we should have kept him. The guy basically wanted to leave.

Did he ? I feel it's more the club shopped him around after the -rather fair- conclusion his contract was up soon & he was not an important piece for any present or future plans.

I always thought the post-exit threads which would be unbearable would be the Pogba & Sancho ones, with posters losing their shit every time they did something even halfway useful but it turns out this is going to be the one to watch.

McTerminator has arrived Napoli

Antonio Conte appreciate McTom top guts, fighting spirit, drive and energy

Antonio Conte = high energy and a passion manager = attract same energy, passion and drive in players

Same type of kids and person use to attract each others. Nothing new in football and live in general.

It's very head over heart this one. Yes he provided us with some great last gasp moments and such but a lot of the reason we required those moments was due to the lack of control in the game in the first place. Sometimes this was partly caused by him and other times not. He is quite similar to Fellaini in that regard.

I like McTominay, wouldnt have been averse to him staying and this season he probably would have been a useful option. That said, if we're prepared to accept that we need to let Ineos develop a new team we need to look at his age, use, and ask ourselves would any other top team in the world be averse to losing him. Of course the same question can be asked of many other squad players but we wont change our entire squad in one window. The time was right and I hope he does brilliantly in Italy - he wont regret playing abroad when he retires.

He'll be a good signing for Napoli just like how Wan-Bissaka is a good signing for West Ham.

Debut against Cagliari tomorrow. Quite curious to see how this pans out for him.

McTominay made a difference when he came on, his PL experience showed... he made the corner which led to a goal.