Scott McTominay | Napoli

Just like yours. As long as you haven't found a way to look into the future, your claim is as nonsensical as any other. Also Italian league is always difficult to predict.

My claim that McTominay won't be player of the season in Italy certainly isn't nonsensical. It is probable, considering that McTominay has not been the best at anything during his entire career.

You might want to check in how many good footballers play in Italy. Quite a few and McTominay isn't one of them.

You don't have to be a dick about it, I think, it is safe to say that at Napoli you have a better shot at relevant comps than at Manchester United. So from a title point of view, it certainly isn't a downgrade. I am pretty sure life is more comfortable for McTominay these days, living in a nice city with good food, good weather, he sure is on a bigger salary than for us - good for him.

I'm not.

Napoli finished 10th last season. They are not in any relevant competition, so what are you talking about?

They had a good start into the new season, thats all. Didn't you say it yourself that Italy is always difficult to predict?

What relevance does McTominay's comfort level have? Nice city and good food are meaningless, if you're rich, most cities can be nice and you'll always find good food - but if you want to go there, try Florence for a nice city and good food. Not Naples. All things considered, it's terrible.

Unless you're comparing Naples to Manchester. Most of Southern Europe offers more comfort than the North of England. It's a low bar.

He’s playing the exact same way he played for us — he scored a good box-crashing goal whilst managing 15 passes in 90 minutes.

Like a lot of our players (and now former players) McTominay is a player who really excels in some aspects of midfield play and is atrocious in some others.

The only difference is he’s playing under a manager who is a cheat code at getting the best out of his squad and is generally an excellent tactician over the course of a domestic league season.
I wouldn't say he excels in any aspect of midfield play. He excels in certain aspects of attacking play

What relevance does McTominay's comfort level have? Nice city and good food are meaningless, if you're rich, most cities can be nice and you'll always find good food - but if you want to go there, try Florence for a nice city and good food. Not Naples. All things considered, it's terrible.

Unless you're comparing Naples to Manchester. Most of Southern Europe offers more comfort than the North of England. It's a low bar.

Naples is a marmite city but I prefer it to Florence. Obviously it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love the place

Napoli finished 10th last season. They are not in any relevant competition, so what are you talking about?

They had an off season with managers being sacked and Osimhen missing 1/3 of the games. Zielinski being sidelined and they still did better than us in the UCL, only competition we both participated in…

We are a bigger club of course, but over the last 6/7 years we’ve not achieved anything that should put us above them…

Last edited:
Levels above as a bigger club for sure. As a team, nah. We are a really poor team that was lucky to even finish 8th
No we are not. When was the last time we reached UCL knockouts ? They do it basically every time they play the CL…
Like I said, because of our manager. Our squad is capable of reaching the UCL knockouts with a good manager. If Spurs reached the semi final then so can we, we just need the right manager

Like I said, because of our manager. Our squad is capable of reaching the UCL knockouts with a good manager. If Spurs reached the semi final then so can we, we just need the right manager

We've barely done anything in over a decade in the UCL. 3-0 comeback against mighty Olympiakos and reversing the 2-0 loss to PSG. Under various managers we've gone out in group stages thats included Wolfsburg, Istanbul something, Leipzig, Copenhagen, Galatasaray. Been knocked out by Sevilla (multiple times).

It isn't just ETH. It's been over a decade of irrelevance.

We've barely done anything in over a decade in the UCL. 3-0 comeback against mighty Olympiakos and reversing the 2-0 loss to PSG. Under various managers we've gone out in group stages thats included Wolfsburg, Istanbul something, Leipzig, Copenhagen, Galatasaray. Been knocked out by Sevilla (multiple times).

It isn't just ETH. It's been over a decade of irrelevance.
I was referring to now, not the past decade. Poster said Mct's transfer was an upgrade for him, as he went to a better team.
I replied, our team is levels above Napoli, it's just that we haven't got the right manager. And we didn't before either, seeing as you mentioned the past decade.
We have had four managers, two that were past it, and 2 that were nowhere near the level required good enough. None of them achieved anything after their managing here which proves just that.

I wouldn't say he excels in any aspect of midfield play. He excels in certain aspects of attacking play
Yeah, that’s fair. The aspects I was referring to were being the third man in midfield with licence to get forward — I think he does that better when he’s roaming rather than the fixed no.10 as such, though I have no idea what the setup is like at Napoli since he’s joined.

Yeah, that’s fair. The aspects I was referring to were being the third man in midfield with licence to get forward — I think he does that better when he’s roaming rather than the fixed no.10 as such, though I have no idea what the setup is like at Napoli since he’s joined.
Pretty much that. Conte changed structure from his 343 for him :lol: it's working

Hello everyone, I am a Neapolitan writing to thank you.
We are already madly in love with our McDonald. Quantity and quality, against Juventus he simply dominated, what a fantastic player you have given us. Thank you, thank you again.
If you ever come to Naples, you have a pizza and a babà for free :drool:

My claim that McTominay won't be player of the season in Italy certainly isn't nonsensical. It is probable, considering that McTominay has not been the best at anything during his entire career.

You might want to check in how many good footballers play in Italy. Quite a few and McTominay isn't one of them.

I'm not.

They had a good start into the new season, thats all. Didn't you say it yourself that Italy is always difficult to predict?

Naples > Florence

Naples is a marmite city but I prefer it to Florence. Obviously it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love the place

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, why is that? I enjoy Italy, but Naples is dirty, trash laying around everywhere, the people are rude and nothing happens in relation to maintenance.

Lots of rotten concrete, few well maintained public places, it's very loud and normal people have a tendency to behave like inconsiderate animals (you've seen two to three parked scooters blocking sidewalks).
All of the people I know there hate the city.

I see the charming aspects, too. Despite being in a miserable situation, they strike me as proud, mostly fueled by the ridicule they receive from the rest of Italy. The city has a unique vibe, things are truly different compared to the rest of Italy. I can't say I enjoy the place though. There isn't that much to do.

They had an off season with managers being sacked and Osimhen missing 1/3 of the games. Zielinski being sidelined and they still did better than us in the UCL, only competition we both participated in…

We are a bigger club of course, but over the last 6/7 years we’ve not achieved anything that should put us above them…

Fair points, I agree. With that being said, the list of teams that do better than us (for many years) is depressingly long. Napoli is one of them, that much is clear. As long as our philosopher Ten Hag is in charge, that won't change.

Calling it an upgrade - as the other poster said - is still absurd.

Naples > Florence

If you say so, it must be true. I see why you feel uncomfortable in Florence.

Reactions: jojojo
Fair enough. Out of curiosity, why is that? I enjoy Italy, but Naples is dirty, trash laying around everywhere, the people are rude and nothing happens in relation to maintenance.

Lots of rotten concrete, few well maintained public places, it's very loud and normal people have a tendency to behave like inconsiderate animals (you've seen two to three parked scooters blocking sidewalks).
All of the people I know there hate the city.

I see the charming aspects, too. Despite being in a miserable situation, they strike me as proud, mostly fueled by the ridicule they receive from the rest of Italy. The city has a unique vibe, things are truly different compared to the rest of Italy. I can't say I enjoy the place though. There isn't that much to do.

Fair points, I agree. With that being said, the list of teams that do better than us (for many years) is depressingly long. Napoli is one of them, that much is clear. As long as our philosopher Ten Hag is in charge, that won't change.

Calling it an upgrade - as the other poster said - is still absurd.

If you say so, it must be true. I see why you feel uncomfortable in Florence.
If you have the money, Naples is a wonderful city, you don't even see the inconveniences. Disadvantages that exist in all Italian cities, for example Milan is much worse off in terms of crime.

If you have the money, Naples is a wonderful city, you don't even see the inconveniences. Disadvantages that exist in all Italian cities, for example Milan is much worse off in terms of crime.

I take it that you're biased. It's ok. Please be honest though. The disadvantages of Naples do not exist in all Italian cities.

There is a reason people call Naples dirty and poor the most. There is a reason unemployment is very high and that a lot of young people leave if they can. That's not to say that the people there are bad. It's just how it is.

You mention Milan in regards to criminality. I didn't mention crime at all, so you're arguing against something I didn't say. However I concede that Milan is very overrated.

Now, football players like McTominay or Lukaka surely have a lot of money but even with all that money you cannot unsee the misery on full display. Sure, their stay will be rather controlled and I highly doubt that Scotty will take a walk and end up at Scampia in the early morning hours. If he does, how do you think that will go?

You're aware of the smell of waste in the streets of Naples during the summer?

Speaking of waste: remember the waste scandal where it came out that ten million tons of waste (!) including radioactive material (!!) were dumped in the region over two decades? You're aware of the consequences in regards to mortality rates and disease? Quite different compared to other Italian cities, yes?

You believe Napoli players will not be faced with such serious issues? Come on now. It ain't hell on earth, but it isn't the nicest place one could imagine.

I take it that you're biased. It's ok. Please be honest though. The disadvantages of Naples do not exist in all Italian cities.

There is a reason people call Naples dirty and poor the most. There is a reason unemployment is very high and that a lot of young people leave if they can. That's not to say that the people there are bad. It's just how it is.

You mention Milan in regards to criminality. I didn't mention crime at all, so you're arguing against something I didn't say. However I concede that Milan is very overrated.

Now, football players like McTominay or Lukaka surely have a lot of money but even with all that money you cannot unsee the misery on full display. Sure, their stay will be rather controlled and I highly doubt that Scotty will take a walk and end up at Scampia in the early morning hours. If he does, how do you think that will go?

You're aware of the smell of waste in the streets of Naples during the summer?

Speaking of waste: remember the waste scandal where it came out that ten million tons of waste (!) including radioactive material (!!) were dumped in the region over two decades? You're aware of the consequences in regards to mortality rates and disease? Quite different compared to other Italian cities, yes?

You believe Napoli players will not be faced with such serious issues? Come on now. It ain't hell on earth, but it isn't the nicest place one could imagine.
If you say Naples is dirty it's because you've never seen Rome.
Now Naples is much less dirty than before, think that they send Rome's waste to Naples to dispose of it because they can't do it on their own.

As for work, it's a problem for the whole south and for Italy as a whole, we have salaries that haven't risen for 20 years but the costs have risen. Even living in Milan is impossible, there's simply more work there.

McDonald's or Romelu's walk in Scampia? You've seen too much Gomorra :)
The real "bad guys" don't touch Napoli players and if they do, the stolen goods are delivered to them the next day.

Campania, both the part of Naples and Salerno, has always been one of the most visited places in Italy.

Sorry for the grammatical errors, I'm using a translator.
Greetings

Reactions: Cheimoon