2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bwuk

I don't think it's clear at all, Christ reading this you'd think he'd been part of some excellent wins or had some smooth match winning displays :lol:

Out of who’s actually available;

Eriksen, McTominay, Bruno, Mount, Amrabat & Hannibal.

He’s defo part of the best side we can put out.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Now he is getting a tiny bit of love maybe people realise he "gets it" when it comes to what playing for Manchester United means.

That's 50% of it, the other 50% is the requisite quality to be a permanent first XI starter, which is where he falls short. Classic squad player we could do with having more of, if you ask me.

We need a proper starting XI, I know, but McTominay being at the club certainly isn't the problem.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, some people do have an agenda against him.

It's obvious.

But - I'm tempted to say...so what?

The fact that they do (and they absolutely do) doesn't make him a better player. He is what he is: a decent enough option under the right circumstances. Never a player who should be a starter for United if our ambitions are what they should be.

In a functional United, a United more or less where we should be - a genuine contender - McTominay could be squad player, absolutely. Calling him "championship quality" and whatnot is hyperbole.

But, again...so what? He isn't a squad player in a functional United team. He's very close to being a default starter for a pretty shit United team. And as such, he highlights our current state. That's not his fault, of course, but he nevertheless has that effect.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just listening to a podcast going deep on how big a role McT played in us losing our shit after the red card.

Shortly after conceding to make it 2-1, when we desperately wanted to calm down and take the sting out of the game, McT picks the ball up in midfield with loads of space ahead of him and tries to float a through ball to Hojlund. Which is intercepted and countered, ending in a shot just wide. Now bear in mind how we started the game. Slow controlled possession. Keep the ball on the deck and don’t give it away cheaply. Hojlund was visibly pissed off because he’d checked back to get a pass to feet but McT wasn’t paying attention.

From that goalkick the ball ends up at the feet of McT again. Has he learned his lesson? Is he chastened by that near miss and a bollocking from his young team mate? Does he get back to the game plan? Hold onto the ball. Eat up the clock. Get us through to half time with a one goal advantage. Does he feck. He fecking launches a crossfield pass in Garnacho’s general direction, which is easily picked off, worked deep into our half and crossed into the box where we concede a penalty.

It’s brainless impulsive bollox like this that separates us from proper football teams. No football IQ whatsoever. No wonder ETH was so keen to get rid.

Danny

Just listening to a podcast going deep on how big a role McT played in us losing our shit after the red card.

Shortly after conceding to make it 2-1, when we desperately wanted to calm down and take the sting out of the game, McT picks the ball up in midfield with loads of space ahead of him and tries to float a through ball to Hojlund. Which is intercepted and countered, ending in a shot just wide. Now bear in mind how we started the game. Slow controlled possession. Keep the ball on the deck and don’t give it away cheaply. Hojlund was visibly pissed off because he’d checked back to get a pass to feet but McT wasn’t paying attention.

From that goalkick the ball ends up at the feet of McT again. Has he learned his lesson? Is he chastened by that near miss and a bollocking from his young team mate? Does he get back to the game plan? Hold onto the ball. Eat up the clock. Get us through to half time with a one goal advantage. Does he feck. He fecking launches a crossfield pass in Garnacho’s general direction, which is easily picked off, worked deep into our half and crossed into the box where we concede a penalty.

It’s brainless impulsive bollox like this that separates us from proper football teams. No football IQ whatsoever. No wonder ETH was so keen to get rid.
Yeah I remember Hojlund bollocking him at the time for not getting his head up before he passed the ball.

It's not just McTominay though that seems incapable at times of just recycling the ball and being patient. It's do frustrating to watch us try and force through passes when they aren't on.

jesperjaap

Different player, but he is similar to Fred, playing further forward he is decent.

Bt he really cant play as a proper box to box or defensive midfielder as his awareness and in game intelligence isnt good enough, nor his positioning.

But going back to him being decent further forward....that doesnt mean he is good enough, there are plenty of better options we cold sign than Fred or McTominay.

As for some commenting about peopl ehaving an agenda against him, totally disagree. Only 3years or so many were saying he was better than Rice....that was crazy even then, certainly so now. The truth is he is a good pro, bt is he even a good sqad player...maybe?

Also disagree on him definately being part of or crrent best eleven, as poor as he has been I wold rather Mount if playing further forward. or Eriksen frther forward

Bobski

Yeah I remember Hojlund bollocking him at the time for not getting his head up before he passed the ball.

It's not just McTominay though that seems incapable at times of just recycling the ball and being patient. It's do frustrating to watch us try and force through passes when they aren't on.
He actually did it better than usual last night, was taking the ball in tighter areas. However as Pogue points out in that crucial 10 mins after the red he had a couple of needless giveaways at the worst time. Still completed 36/39 passes but 2 sloppy moments there that contributed to the panic.

lex talionis

Still shocking that McTominay is a regular starter for us. He's capable of the occasional 5 minutes of genius, but 90+ minutes all the time...really?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Different player, but he is similar to Fred, playing further forward he is decent.

Bt he really cant play as a proper box to box or defensive midfielder as his awareness and in game intelligence isnt good enough, nor his positioning.

But going back to him being decent further forward....that doesnt mean he is good enough, there are plenty of better options we cold sign than Fred or McTominay.
I wouldn't say that. Fred actually played quite well in general in a more advanced role, whereas Scott is a fairly good goal threat but his all-round game is still poor. In fact I'd say that on the basis of the last month, his general play is even worse when pushed further forward than it is when he's played deeper. There's a reason that people are saying that he's improved in his last two games, which are the two games we've moved him deeper again after a period of playing more attacking ever since those two late goals against Brentford.

If it's getting late in the game and we're searching for a goal, then that's a good time to bring Scott on and tell him to get in around the box. But if we've got to start him I prefer it to be in a deeper role.

jesperjaap

I wouldn't say that. Fred actually played quite well in general in a more advanced role, whereas Scott is a fairly good goal threat but his all-round game is still poor. In fact I'd say that on the basis of the last month, his general play is even worse when pushed further forward than it is when he's played deeper. There's a reason that people are saying that he's improved in his last two games, which are the two games we've moved him deeper again after a period of playing more attacking ever since those two late goals against Brentford.

If it's getting late in the game and we're searching for a goal, then that's a good time to bring Scott on and tell him to get in around the box. But if we've got to start him I prefer it to be in a deeper role.
Really? He has generally been played deeper and bar a 3month period with Fred he has been fond wanting 90% of the time. I dont want him in either position bt has least frther forward he does score goals, deeper he has no intelligence and has been a reason over the last few seasons or midfield is over ran

Man Utd 1:0 Luton Town

Bobski

He was almost totally anonymous for the first 35 mins until Eriksen got injured and he had to drop deeper, reasonable after that in a limited fashion.

FerociousCorgis

Those 2 goals late against Brentford somehow giving him this special role that is just ridiculous. Legit pisses me off seeing him get the start every week in midfield and then seeing us do feck all in midfield

edgecutter

He was almost totally anonymous for the first 35 mins until Eriksen got injured and he had to drop deeper, reasonable after that in a limited fashion.
If he can't look decent against Ross Barkley Luton than he shouldn't be even playing in the PL.

He should be sold when an offer comes in because he ain't getting any better

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A limited footballer in the build up phase but if you give him license to get into the oppositions box he'll get opportunities.

Why ETH, and those that came before him, continually use him in a deeper role will continue to baffle me.

Bobski

A limited footballer in the build up phase but if you give him license to get into the oppositions box he'll get opportunities.

Why ETH, and those that came before him, continually use him in a deeper role will continue to baffle me.
The problem is that if you start him high he doesn't get those chances and struggles badly to find space and get involved. Don't understand why Ten Hag reverts continuously to using him almost alongside Hojlund in a front 2, it doesn't work. When he is making late runs from deep that is when he is a threat.

NZT-One

Those 2 goals late against Brentford somehow giving him this special role that is just ridiculous. Legit pisses me off seeing him get the start every week in midfield and then seeing us do feck all in midfield
Fully agree. My heart cries seeing him taking minutes away from Hannibal. On the other hand, he is part of a team that managed to stabilize the team a bit so I guess, I am not beating into ETH on this one...

If he can't look decent against Ross Barkley Luton than he shouldn't be even playing in the PL.

He should be sold when an offer comes in because he ain't getting any better
Yeah came here to mention this as well. I thought if McTominay could look at least as Barkley, I'd be happy. Feels as if he is no only played because he has a knack of popping up in attacks every other game... Its crazy.

Stadjer

100% agree. He was where he belonged (not on the pitch for Manchester United) but his two goal heroics made him a starter. I dont think two goals should make a player go from ready to be sold to a weekly starter.

Starting McT because those two goals would be my main reason to turn to ETH out if i am going to turn. Having a very limited midfielder become a starter because he saved a game shouldnt happen. I want my manager to have a plan and not change that plan because of a very special and unlikely to happen again moment.

El__Jingo

100% agree. He was where he belonged (not on the pitch for Manchester United) but his two goal heroics made him a starter. I dont think two goals should make a player go from ready to be sold to a weekly starter.

Starting McT because those two goals would be my main reason to turn to ETH out if i am going to turn. Having a very limited midfielder become a starter because he saved a game shouldnt happen. I want my manager to have a plan and not change that plan because of a very special and unlikely to happen again moment.

totally agree, i was really worried his goals as much as it helped us win that day would ultimately come at a cost.

his performances since have been at best in some games average and in others absolutely woeful.. its absolutely baffling a team like manchester united are playing a lad who was surplus to requirements in the summer as an 10/9 i dont even know what he is half the time, its just chuck the ball into the box and try an get a head on it. When we were 10 men against copenhagen and he's generally passing back 90% of the time it drives me mad. ultimately for as long as hes in the team we will never play the football we want.. do you seriously think McT would get a run at City/Liverpool/Arsenal .. absolutely no chance. the sooner he's sold the better, no one will ever change my mind that hes not the worst player to have ever played 200 games for this club, absolute joke

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Eric playing him feels a bit desperate, he obviously provides some goal threat and besides that not much else, seems like ten hag has him in on the small chance of him possibly bailing him out if all else fails instead of meaningfully moving forward to create a functioning midfield.

Bobski

Eric playing him feels a bit desperate, he obviously provides some goal threat and besides that not much else, seems like ten hag has him in on the small chance of him possibly bailing him out if all else fails instead of meaningfully moving forward to create a functioning midfield.
Think a large part of it is Utd being a very small team and Amrabat being atrocious in the air. Without Cas who is great aerially and Varane out of favour it is a significant weakness.

flappyjay

Outside of the center backs he and Rasmus are the only other 6ft plus players. With Casemiro not around I think Erik plays him for his height.

MadMike

We tried to sell McTominay in the summer and use the money to buy Amrabat, the DLP we’re supposedly missing. Failed to sell Scott, so had to loan Amrabat instead.

What do we proceed to do? Give Amrabat only 3 league starts as DM, hauling him off at half time in one of those 3. McTominay, who was meant to be sold, now starts every game despite not being suited to the DM role.

I despair.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I spend quite some time thinking about McTominay and how come he's been a started in some kind of attacking midfield position for us, and then I saw your comment which perfectly summaries the situation we're in.

Thom Merrilin

We tried to sell McTominay in the summer and use the money to buy Amrabat, the DLP we’re supposedly missing. Failed to sell Scott, so had to loan Amrabat instead.

What do we proceed to do? Give Amrabat only 3 league starts as DM, hauling him off at half time in one of those 3. McTominay, who was meant to be sold, now starts every game despite not being suited to the DM role.

I despair.
It is all a bit of a mess. McT hasn't been playing as a DM though, it's been Casemiro and now Eriksen playing there. Only today did he play DM after Eriksen went off.

MadMike

It is all a bit of a mess. McT hasn't been playing as a DM though, it's been Casemiro and now Eriksen playing there. Only today did he play DM after Eriksen went off.
That’s a fair point. Though I believe that in all of his last 5 starts he was moved to DM in the second half. Against City, Fulham, Luton and in the CL against Copenhagen (twice).

So there’s a pattern there, where he starts as AM and moves to DM. One which I frankly don’t understand at all, because I would prefer he tried to bed Mount in at AM and Amrabat in DM. New players need to be given a run of games to build chemistry and to prove themselves. Otherwise why the hell did we even sign them and spend all that money for? If we’re going to start McTominay every week?

I don’t mind McTominay as an option at all. He’s a goal threat around the opposition box. But that can’t be our plan A, ffs! Try that in the last 15 mins if all else has failed.

90 + 5min

Once again good job and showing everone why he shouldn’t be sold for little money when you look what kind of money was thrown on average players. Gives team power and hight at same time as he does his runs into the box.

Lee565

If hojlund is injured, do we start tom up front, it's not like we have anything to lose with the current goal shy front line and general underwhelming attacking displays

Remember the geese

If you value Rice or Caicedo £100m + you can’t let McTominay any less because he is not worse than those guys. Not saying that any of them should be worth that.
What on Earth are you smoking? Of course he is worse than those players. Massively so. I don't value Rice or Caicedo at that price, as I think truly special players should be in that ballpark, but McTominay for £30-40m is decent business for us.

Roboc7

He was poor again but our midfield is absolute shit so someone who might score a goal is probably better than someone who is equally poor and no goal threat.

It was a terrible decision not to sell him for 30 odd million but it would only have been spent on Amrabat so it doesn’t even matter anymore.

El Zoido

If you value Rice or Caicedo £100m + you can’t let McTominay any less because he is not worse than those guys. Not saying that any of them should be worth that.
He’s nowhere near either of them. Crazy comment. He’s worth £30m in this market though.

Keanes Magic Hat

He was poor again but our midfield is absolute shit so someone who might score a goal is probably better than someone who is equally poor and no goal threat.

It was a terrible decision not to sell him for 30 odd million but it would only have been spent on Amrabat so it doesn’t even matter anymore.
Have to disagree he's definitely worth more than 30m, look at what we paid for mount and he actually doesn't do anything.

His passing isn't great but he's athletic and has a goal in him.