g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Heinzesight

Seems a decent enough lad and he saved us in that Brentford game. We were buzzing for him and us. But he was brought on in the dying minutes and put up top in sheer desperation. If he has to play a part, it should be off the bench to cause some mayhem in the box when we need a goal. How has that converted into cementing his place in the starting XI? The mind fecking boggles.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seems a decent enough lad and he saved us in that Brentford game. We were buzzing for him and us. But he was brought on in the dying minutes and put up top in sheer desperation. If he has to play a part, it should be off the bench to cause some mayhem in the box when we need a goal. How has that converted into cementing his place in the starting XI? The mind fecking boggles.
It really is inexplicable madness.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
Might sound silly but him scoring those 2 goals has been the worst thing that has happened with eth's thinking. How in the blue hell has he managed to fool himself back into the starting 11. Atrocious player who has no business starting games for us
It does sound (read) silly.
He is also far from being our worst midfielder or player.
Mount, Eriksen & Amrabat are not very good.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
This guy makes our players look invincible using stats you would wonder why we look so shit and lose more often than not if our players win the stats war every game.
[/QUOTE]
Good stats.
I thought he was decent, particularly 1st half.
Team were chasing shadows 2nd half.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If he passes that early chance and we score then the game turns out differently. That’s why Mctominay is not the standards we need. His footballing IQ Is a shambles. Someone like Eriksen passes that.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Thought he looked more natural and comfortable in the first half playing the more advanced role. Second half when he moved back a bit, predictably he was rubbish. I would sooner play any of our other midfielders at DM at this point.

Ultimately, even as someone who largely likes McTominay, he has to go. I firmly believe that at the right team, in the right role (something like a Fellaini #10) he can be a solid PL player, but not for a team that is aspiring to play an attractive, possession based brand of football. Stick him at a mid-bottom half team and let him cause havoc and score goals. Don’t expect him to dominate possession or control the game.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm still trying to get my head around the decision to drop him deeper in the 2nd half. He was our only player who offered that bit of a goal threat in the 1st half, but to play him in a role where everyone and their dog knows he struggles, that too against the best team in league ( maybe world), was nothing short of baffling.

Pyro19

It's not his fault he keeps getting picked it's the manager. He plays as he always did, hiding from the ball and being invisible.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Spot on.

Rossa

Completely agree. He has his uses, but that is not as a midfielder. He's terrible as a six, and also rather worthless as an 8 for a full 90 minutes. We lose the midfield with him on the pitch as he simply goes hiding. It's as if he doesn't understand the role. He has some surging runs into the opposition box that sometimes pay off, but his positioning both when our team is progressing the ball or when we are pressing is ridiculously bad. He's either nowhere to be seen, or he's just in the wrong position. He runs around a bit, but nothing extraordinary.

Stop starting him - use him as an impact sub, as you say, and then sell him in January.

Godfather

I'm still trying to get my head around the decision to drop him deeper in the 2nd half. He was our only player who offered that bit of a goal threat in the 1st half, but to play him in a role where everyone and their dog knows he struggles, that too against the best team in league ( maybe world), was nothing short of baffling.
ETH has lost it. It's the only explanation. He's in survival mode and that's never a good sign.

ToToMarshall

Nothing necessarily against Scott as a player, I think there's a version of history where he's a half-decent bit-part player for us. However, with the deficiencies already in the squad as it is I think he highlights all of them. He's a ball-shy midfielder with hilariously low pass numbers, who's 6'5" and doesn't offer a proper physical presence - especially surprising is how crap a tackler he is. Our midfield is a mess and at this point he's the worst of a bad bunch.

That Brentford game has done more harm than good. Him accidentally winning us the game with those 2 goals has meant Erik has had to stick with it either to make it look like it was his plan all along, or because he has no idea what else to do and hoping for him to nick a goal is the best he can do.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Agree with this. He's not good enough and wouldn't exactly be the best player on the team at most mid-table/bottom half teams, yet he keeps starting games for us.

gaffs

Nothing necessarily against Scott as a player, I think there's a version of history where he's a half-decent bit-part player for us. However, with the deficiencies already in the squad as it is I think he highlights all of them. He's a ball-shy midfielder with hilariously low pass numbers, who's 6'5" and doesn't offer a proper physical presence - especially surprising is how crap a tackler he is. Our midfield is a mess and at this point he's the worst of a bad bunch.

That Brentford game has done more harm than good. Him accidentally winning us the game with those 2 goals has meant Erik has had to stick with it either to make it look like it was his plan all along, or because he has no idea what else to do and hoping for him to nick a goal is the best he can do.
Agree. We have a 6+ year sample size to show us that McTominay is no good.
Pundits think because he is a big lad, he can put himself about in midfield. He doesn't.

Awful management now to put him in midfield in this more advanced 8/10 role, especially at the expense of Bruno. And even worse to drop him deeper at half time.

Red-17

Liverpool signed Gravenberch for 35 million which is about what we could have gotten for selling McTominay this summer. He is not a bad football player, but he will never be a player starting in a team playing great football and that is just a fact. We are asking a player who grew up as a striker to play as a defensive midfield player for about 6 years now and still haven't realized that he is not good at that. Despite all that, because of his nationality, he still has immense value but we have refused to cash in on it and replace him with someone who can actually do what we need.

Why are we still yet to replace Michael Carrick in this team about 7 years on now? The only player who has come close was Matic who was over the hill by the time we signed him.

clarkydaz

Agree. We have a 6+ year sample size to show us that McTominay is no good.
Pundits think because he is a big lad, he can put himself about in midfield. He doesn't.

Awful management now to put him in midfield in this more advanced 8/10 role, especially at the expense of Bruno. And even worse to drop him deeper at half time.
Yeah its such lazy commentary. He just jockeys and watches the game passby around him

ToToMarshall

Yeah its such lazy commentary. He just jockeys and watches the game passby around him
The only way he used to impose himself on a game was with his running (weird for a man his size) but he doesn't even seem to cover that much ground anymore. Just trots around the middle not doing anything in or out of possession. He's a passenger.

RuudTom83

100% agree, I can only offer that under the current pressure and stress the focus on the final score has overtaken the managers thinking, and due to desperation to get a goal, he has convinced himself picking McTom increases the chances of nicking a goal and 3 points.

Where you just need to take a step back and realise McTom is a good option from the bench, when you need a goal in the last 10-15 mins...no more!

Marwood

He wasn't terrible but two big moments from him possibly cost us the game.

Simple through ball to Hojlund. Crap shot instead.

Not tracking Silva for the second. Basic bit of defending.

Another player just not giving enough attention to the basics.

FerociousCorgis

if he continues to start in midfield prob be the end of my support for EtH. If you have any desire to bring a positive style of play to a top level team putting someone like scott mctominay into fecking midfield shows you have no clue on what you are doing. id legit rather have fellaini out there, and that is saying something.

Roboc7

He was shit in every game apart from 10 minutes against Brentford. It does seem ridiculous that one performance won him player of the month but it’s not like there is much else to choose from.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not saying much cos the rest were a bit naff, but I thought he was our best midfielder on today.

Loved him absolutely twatting everything in sight at the end :lol:

Bobski

Yep, decent performance, better on the ball in the first, did some important defensive stuff in the second. Seemed a bit more balanced with him slightly deeper, closer to Eriksen rather than alongside Hojlund.

FerociousCorgis

No idea what people are thinking but after the tap in goal, fair play for a good run that's what he does in box, he was fecking invisible. Our midfield looked like dogshit against a piss poor fulham team and he was one reason why

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Decent game, took control when needed to most of the time.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Him spending most of stoppage time kicking for touch like a fly half was top notch.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't like him starting but at the moment his performances are OK, constantly above the average for our midfielder and he is a goal threat.

IRELANDUNITED

He was right about us fighting like dogs today, what he failed to mention was that the dogs in question would be sleeping chihuahua’s

tomaldinho1

V harsh to overrule his goal, was actually fine today. Probably the best of the midfielders.

Walters_19_MuFc

I thought he was good but no doubt the haters be piling in.

I look at a player like Sarr for Spurs who's surrounded by two playmakers in Bissouma and Maddison, which allows him to focus on getting up and down the pitch.

Unfortunately, we don't have that, but I've always said he's useful, especially if played in that box to box role.

Was up and down the pitch today and made some crucial blocks that could have easily resulted in a Fulham goal.

Did well, in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good performance from Scott today. Certainly looked like he cared, and also showed quality on the ball.

BorisManUtd

Good performance. Anyone else thinking he'd score if Martial didn't shoot the ball and did that overhead kick? Think McTominay would have a good chance to score there.

Roboc7

Started off ok but overall a poor performance, team is so bad though and such a poor game that he was one of the better players still.