g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Jeffthered

He’s not remotely good enough to be a striker for a club with supposedly tittle ambitions. Really don’t see why we have to try and crowbar this guy into the side. He’s just not good enough simple as that.
Forget any talk of SMT playing as a forward, such nonsense only highlights a lack of understanding of the game by some. SMT is a midfielder. But, he is a limited midfielder.. he doesn't have the character and personality we need in there. Which is a shame, because he has an eye for goal, which is so valuable. He deserved his start yesterday, has now scored three in two Premier League games, and the question is can we afford to drop him?

Think we have to keep playing him, but he isn't getting coached very well. You need someone to inspire him. Klopp, Pep etc would get more out of SMT.. he is limited, and I am not suggesting anything otherwise... but, but, SMT needs to find another gear or two. And that's all in his head. He seems to stroll around, when he should be hunting players down. Look at Kante. Look at someone like Coner Gallagher ffs!! Can't SMT speak to Nicky Butt? Keane? Ask them how to improve his game. CR7 asked his colleagues how he could be a better player.

In fact this 'strolling around' is a wider cultural issue at United. Rashford, Martial, SMT, Bruno. I could name countless other players in recent years... None of them go out and take control of a game, which is what Man Utd players should do, it's the nature of the club. They let games pass them by. Man Utd has become a playground for spoilt kids, all want to look good.. just p***es me off.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Poor performance, apart from the goal which was very well taken. But to be fair to him, entire team was a bit shit in the first half
I mean, part of the reason the entire team was shit was because we didn't have a midfield. Without a midfield we had no choice but to go long every time, and then there wasn't anyone in the middle to win the second balls (both in attacking or defensive areas).

In saying that, McTominay's positioning was so strange today that I'm tempted to say he was playing somewhat to instructions. As much as I normally criticise him, he's not normally out of position as often as he was today where he spent pretty much all game either out on the right or upfront. While I certainly don't think ETH wanted it to go like it did, I reckon Scott was told to get forward and focus on attacking more than he normally does and then he just took it to extremes.

Either way it was a terrible performance, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he at least had a reason for how he completely vacated the middle of the park in this one. If not, it went beyond a terrible performance and became disgraceful.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He looks more natural and more energetic when in attacking positions near the opponents box. You can see that is where he comes to life and starts making smart movements and demanding the ball.

I previously said he should be used exclusively as an attacking #8, but I am starting to reconsider even that and buy into the “play him up front” theory.

Hojlund looks a good player and it isn’t a criticism of him, but I genuinely think McTominay could do a similar job up front. Similar, not identical, but it would’ve saved us £70m in the process.

RedIan

3 goals in about 65 minutes on the pitch in 2 games but my god he offers zero else. He can only be an impact sub when your loosing by a goal with 10 minutes to go.

Marwood

Just play him as a CF. He's the backup to Hojlund.

Scott can say he's a midfielder but when he's having so few touches and passes he's almost removing himself from the position.

Litch

As said previously, squad player at best in a good utd team, arguably a starter in the current shit one....

Jeffthered

I mean, part of the reason the entire team was shit was because we didn't have a midfield. Without a midfield we had no choice but to go long every time, and then there wasn't anyone in the middle to win the second balls (both in attacking or defensive areas).

In saying that, McTominay's positioning was so strange today that I'm tempted to say he was playing somewhat to instructions. As much as I normally criticise him, he's not normally out of position as often as he was today where he spent pretty much all game either out on the right or upfront. While I certainly don't think ETH wanted it to go like it did, I reckon Scott was told to get forward and focus on attacking more than he normally does and then he just took it to extremes.

Either way it was a terrible performance, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he at least had a reason for how he completely vacated the middle of the park in this one. If not, it went beyond a terrible performance and became disgraceful.
Exactly. He was playing to instructions that's obvious. And that's what is wrong with the ETH and his coaching staff. He needs to be told to play deeper, alongside Amrabat, create a solid foundation, enable us to build play from the back (how many times did you see Evans or Maguire with no one available to pass to? Happens every single game, regardless of who we play at the back...). This is obvious. Just asking to play further forward is reactionary and short-sighted. It confuses the line up, as Bruno plays off the front-three, not SMT. We need two midfielders, genuine midfielders in there. If we want to play SMT further forward, then play someone else alongside Amrabat.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Providing he’s putting the ball in the back of the net he has to start. Genuinely play him as the 10
He’s scored a couple of goals against weak teams. Doesn’t make him a striker. I really don’t get the desire to crowbar him into the team. Wasn’t that long ago that others were claiming he was really a centre half and should be played there. What’s next we should play him in goal because he’s big?

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Forget any talk of SMT playing as a forward, such nonsense only highlights a lack of understanding of the game by some. SMT is a midfielder. But, he is a limited midfielder.. he doesn't have the character and personality we need in there. Which is a shame, because he has an eye for goal, which is so valuable. He deserved his start yesterday, has now scored three in two Premier League games, and the question is can we afford to drop him?

Think we have to keep playing him, but he isn't getting coached very well. You need someone to inspire him. Klopp, Pep etc would get more out of SMT.. he is limited, and I am not suggesting anything otherwise... but, but, SMT needs to find another gear or two. And that's all in his head. He seems to stroll around, when he should be hunting players down. Look at Kante. Look at someone like Coner Gallagher ffs!! Can't SMT speak to Nicky Butt? Keane? Ask them how to improve his game. CR7 asked his colleagues how he could be a better player.

In fact this 'strolling around' is a wider cultural issue at United. Rashford, Martial, SMT, Bruno. I could name countless other players in recent years... None of them go out and take control of a game, which is what Man Utd players should do, it's the nature of the club. They let games pass them by. Man Utd has become a playground for spoilt kids, all want to look good.. just p***es me off.
He’s a virtual passenger in 95% of the games he plays. Just because he scored a couple of goals doesn’t mean he merits a place in the side. It’s not like previously in his 200+ games for the club he’s been a regular scorer. Also he’s nearly 27 so more coaching isn’t likely to improve him as if he can’t do it now he will never be able to do it. Completely agree with you about his strolling around, he’s just lazy which is remarkable for a player with such little talent. We just don’t need him anywhere near the team. Like someone else earlier said, if he wasn’t from the academy he’d have been gone years ago.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He had around 5-10 touches. 2 for getting a great goal, 1 with the hand and probably half a dozen passes.

Not sure how much this is down to instructions but yesterday it was like playing with 10 men.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
He’s scored a couple of goals against weak teams. Doesn’t make him a striker. I really don’t get the desire to crowbar him into the team. Wasn’t that long ago that others were claiming he was really a centre half and should be played there. What’s next we should play him in goal because he’s big?
Bear in mind that he was the one who scored against these 'weak' teams'.
If it was so easy, as you are implying, then why weren't other players ?

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Bear in mind that he was the one who scored against these 'weak' teams'.
If it was so easy, as you are implying, then why weren't other players ?
Didn’t say it was easy. And so what he hasn’t scored on a regular basis before. The most goals he has ever scored in the league in a season is 4 so that doesn’t make him anything other than a very occasional goal threat.

El__Jingo

its genuinely baffling reading comments that support his inclusion in this team, he should never start for us.. Hannibal and Mainoo are easily ahead in the pecking order and you should never be starting him ahead of Mount? like seriously what is the though process behind that.. absolutely baffling.

he cannot start against city, for me Amrabat Cas and Mount would be what id like to see but theres no way ETH will drop Bruno

Bobski

He had around 5-10 touches. 2 for getting a great goal, 1 with the hand and probably half a dozen passes.

Not sure how much this is down to instructions but yesterday it was like playing with 10 men.
Yesterday I would put heavily down to instructions, he was almost playing alongside Hojlund with Utd in possession. He made plenty of runs that were not targeted, almost all of them forward, and for as much as people complain about him not getting on the ball enough he pretty clearly wasn't playing a standard midfield role. Utd and he would probably be better off if when he plays they just asked him to play closer to the deepest midfielder in possession and just pick his moments to hit the box.

clarkydaz

Yesterday I would put heavily down to instructions, he was almost playing alongside Hojlund with Utd in possession. He made plenty of runs that were not targeted, almost all of them forward, and for as much as people complain about him not getting on the ball enough he pretty clearly wasn't playing a standard midfield role. Utd and he would probably be better off if when he plays they just asked him to play closer to the deepest midfielder in possession and just pick his moments to hit the box.
you are making out like this is a one off, his main criticism is he is a passenger in games fullstop. Nothing new here

KeanoMagicHat

McTominay is in the 10th percentile for passes attempted, and 4th percentile for progressive passes in the top 5 European leagues, which he manages to do to just 82% accuracy. He averages 81 fewer passes a game than Rodri. Just not good enough to start in midfield for United, should just be an impact sub in attacking midfield when chasing a game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's Catch-22 stuff.

If we were a team that dominated, had loads of the ball and was constantly in an around the opponents box - he'd be fine, and probably quite a nuisance for the opposition

However - we can't possibly be that team with him in midfield (not consistantly anyway)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's always been like this. Its ground hog day, how many games and seasons does he get at United despite putting in so many shit performances. Its not a one off, game after game he is one of the lowest players for touches and passes.

He's the perfect example of how our standards have dropped in recent years. Should have been sold years ago.

Man Utd 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Woodenlung

I'm trying not to be too hard on McTominay, but I just can't see what he offers as a starter especially when he's playing so advanced. He can get a goal, but is one of the worst players I've ever seen in possession. So bad that we don't even use him in build up anymore.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the side.

edgecutter

He's atrocious and an accident waiting to happen in our box. Hopefully this is the last season we see him here

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I actually thought he had a pretty good game in the second half... And since when has high foot been a pen? Looked like there was no contact at all?

Bobski

I'm trying not to be too hard on McTominay, but I just can't see what he offers as a starter especially when he's playing so advanced. He can get a goal, but is one of the worst players I've ever seen in possession. So bad that we don't even use him in build up anymore.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the side.
There were about 4 times in the last 10 mins when he showed deep for Onana, in a bit of space actually, and Onana just horsed it long rather than risk it. He actually used the ball fairly well in his limited touches tonight but if he can't trust himself you can''t expect his teammates to.

Pen was a bit soft.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Decent enough game from him, penalty was harsh.
But I'm sure he'll get pelters on here as usual.

edgecutter

I actually thought he had a pretty good game in the second half... And since when has high foot been a pen? Looked like there was no contact at all?
He was poor. Didn't track numerous times and rarely got on the ball. Erikson made the difference again.

Roboc7

He was very poor once again, offers very little in any area. A lot made of his three goals but he’s given away two penalties and been poor in every game he’s played so far this season.

philippexyz

He is not a starter quality, I don't understand why he's starting with Mount, Hannibal, Eriksen on the bench.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought the penalty was ridiculously soft, you could tell the ref was absolutely desperate to give it.

hobbers

Reminds everyone for the 5015th time that he's a fecking ABYSMAL midfielder.

Quinze

The McTominay experiment has to end. At least not as a starter.

The goals he may bring sometimes are not worth giving up the control of the midfield and the blunders.

Crimson King

Decent enough game from him, penalty was harsh.
But I'm sure he'll get pelters on here as usual.
I don't think he's good enough to be starting like this but I certainly think he has his uses. The fact he is playing this much has me a bit worried about EtH...has he run out of ideas to turn around our form? I guess we have won a few now though, even if the football has been awful...

Agree that penalty was really harsh. The guy came from behind him and as soon as he notices he pulls his foot away, there was absolutely no contact! I blame the ref for being shit more than I blame McT.

Crimson King

It's one of those things that shouldn't be a penalty. It should be an indirect free kick in the box or something. Far too many silly little things lead to penalties.