SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Cheers. Should’ve googled, always checked data summarised via other sources and never seen that after all this time...

I was curious how much the vaccine distribution focuses on the most common admissions into hospitals rather than infections and how quickly we’ll be able to see the impact.

Admissions data by the end of February should give a clearer picture, feels like it's too early to tell the impact of the vaccination programme on hospitalisations.

This is a grim read.

Almost 30% of Covid patients in England readmitted to hospital after discharge

The findings are based on data from the ONS and general practitioners in England. A total of 47,780 individuals who had a hospital episode between 1 January 2020 and 31 August 2020 with a primary diagnosis of Covid-19 were compared with a control group who did not have Covid-19.

Of the 47,780, 29.4% were readmitted within 140 days of discharge and 12.3% died. The rate of readmission was 3.5 times greater, and the death rate seven times higher, than those in the control group, the researchers found

One thing to note, it seems like there's a massive delay in getting the second jab, we're talking march/beginning of April,
Be interesting to see if your ma has the same time scale?!
Took my Great Aunt Maeve 3 weeks to get both.

My mum had the first dose of the oxford vaccine today been told to expect the second in 10 weeks.

I saw this report and was reminded of someone complaining of families visiting homes across states repeatedly.

https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2021-01-15_GB_Mobility_Report_en-GB.pdf

Residential is literally up 21% whilst everywhere else is down.

Reminds me of somewhere I read about lots of infections stemming from social gatherings at homes. E.g. Once schools were closed, children primarily got infected from social gatherings from friends, etc. Which then spread to the rest of the family.

Unfortunately, he’s making a fair point. The most vulnerable are usually not eligible to take part in trials. Because of the unacceptable level of risk they’re exposed to with an untested treatment. So there’s always an element of the unknown when they start getting the drug in question. Having said that, they will definitely get some protection. It’s just hard to build accurate models based on exactly how much protection. And the accuracy of those models matters when it comes to making public health decisions.
Yeah i'd red that previously, it just seemed very out of place as most of the message coming out of the government is don't blow it now, once the vaccines are in place things will return to near normal, theirs light at the end of the tunnel, yada yada yada.

So its weird for them then to say, basically we have no idea if this is actually gonna work in a small section of the news conference from a question asked by the public. It just seemed very contradictory.

Yeah i'd red that previously, it just seemed very out of place as most of the message coming out of the government is don't blow it now, once the vaccines are in place things will return to near normal, theirs light at the end of the tunnel, yada yada yada.

So its weird for them then to say, basically we have no idea if this is actually gonna work in a small section of the news conference from a question asked by the public. It just seemed very contradictory.

They’re obviously very worried about people letting their guard down completely once the most elderly/vulnerable are vaccinated. So it’s important to remind everyone that the virus will remain very dangerous for a lot of people for a good while longer.

Wife getting tested today. She’s been having sinus issues, upset tummy and slight temperature. She didn’t think it was unusual because this happens every year (sinus infections) but GP says lot of people presenting with these symptoms are found to have the new strain.
my wife works from home, kids are not in school, we are shielding and nearly no contact with outside world and when we do we are masked up

From the BBC...

One in eight in England had Covid antibodies by December

Rachel Schraer
BBC Health Reporter

The proportion of the population testing positive for Covid-19 antibodies almost doubled between October and December 2020, according to Office for National Statistics estimates.
Approximately one in 10 people had antibodies against the virus across the UK in December, with England topping the list at one in eight people or about 12% of the population.
That equates to 5.4 million people over the age of 16.
In Wales, an estimated one in 10 had antibodies and one in 11 in Scotland. The likelihood of having antibodies was lowest in Northern Ireland at one in 13 or 7.6%.
Since October, the number of people with Covid antibodies has increased across the UK.
Yorkshire and the Humber has overtaken London as having the highest proportion of people with antibodies at 16.8%, up from 9.5% when the ONS last published the figures in October, and from below 5% in May.
London is close behind at 16.4%, up from 11% in October. At the last peak in May, 15% of the population in London had antibodies, but this fell, as detectable antibodies recede with time.
In the North West, 15% of people had antibodies, more than doubling from 6% in October.

They need to start saying April for T3....already a lot of people thinking its going to be all systems go in March
I think they need to start being a bit more cautious in their messaging, from listening to them they make it sound like everything is going to relatively ok once people have been vaccinated. But then they say they don't have the data to say what effect it will have on vulnerable.

That means Its a very dangerous game their playing, acting like we are on the home straight to help keep morale up and to try to get people to stick to the rules when in reality they don't know that we are.

They’re obviously very worried about people letting their guard down completely once the most elderly/vulnerable are vaccinated. So it’s important to remind everyone that the virus will remain very dangerous for a lot of people for a good while longer.
Ow I completely get that, its just the contradiction in the message that worries/frustrates me.

From the BBC...

One in eight in England had Covid antibodies by December

Rachel Schraer
BBC Health Reporter

The proportion of the population testing positive for Covid-19 antibodies almost doubled between October and December 2020, according to Office for National Statistics estimates.
Approximately one in 10 people had antibodies against the virus across the UK in December, with England topping the list at one in eight people or about 12% of the population.
That equates to 5.4 million people over the age of 16.
In Wales, an estimated one in 10 had antibodies and one in 11 in Scotland. The likelihood of having antibodies was lowest in Northern Ireland at one in 13 or 7.6%.
Since October, the number of people with Covid antibodies has increased across the UK.
Yorkshire and the Humber has overtaken London as having the highest proportion of people with antibodies at 16.8%, up from 9.5% when the ONS last published the figures in October, and from below 5% in May.
London is close behind at 16.4%, up from 11% in October. At the last peak in May, 15% of the population in London had antibodies, but this fell, as detectable antibodies recede with time.
In the North West, 15% of people had antibodies, more than doubling from 6% in October.
If that's true, 73,512 died out of ~6.7m infected people. So the IFR would have been 1.1%.

I think they need to start being a bit more cautious in their messaging, from listening to them they make it sound like everything is going to relatively ok once people have been vaccinated. But then they say they don't have the data to say what effect it will have on vulnerable.

That means Its a very dangerous game their playing, acting like we are on the home straight to help keep morale up and to try to get people to stick to the rules when in reality they don't know that we are.

Leaving vulnerable people with weak immune systems half vaccinated for 3 months in the middle of a huge surge is an incredibly risky game to play when it comes to mutations.

Considering these numbers, would it be accurate to assume we'd probably need to vaccinate less people than initially anticipated to achieve national herd immunity?

Wife was vaccinated this morning , been in bed a couple of hours now not feeling too clever. Is this normal?

Wife was vaccinated this morning , been in bed a couple of hours now not feeling too clever. Is this normal?
Side effects can include fatigue, mild fevers and soreness.. from what I've read.. There are doctors here who can probably confirm it..

Not a doctor (or practising one), but yes. I had some pretty debilitating side effects for about 48 hours (shivering, high fever, aches) which all subsided soon after that, im right as rain now. If she's got it bad, it suggests she may have already been exposed to the virus at some point. Obviously, make sure you consult an actual physician if concerned, but from what I've ready and my own experiences, I wouldn't be too worried.

Not a doctor (or practising one), but yes. I had some pretty debilitating side effects for about 48 hours (shivering, high fever, aches) which all subsided soon after that, im right as rain now. If she's got it bad, it suggests she may have already been exposed to the virus at some point. Obviously, make sure you consult an actual physician if concerned, but from what I've ready and my own experiences, I wouldn't be too worried.
Thanks mate , she had it last year so possible , I will keep an eye on her.

Researchers warn of another Covid spike if people mix after vaccine
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...other-covid-spike-if-people-mix-after-vaccine

We've said it before. The next big increase is going to happen after idiots get the vaccine and think that immediately makes them immune, and also that it means they won't still be carriers. Expect large gatherings and morons walking around shops without masks on saying "I'm fine, I've had the vaccine hehehe".

It is normal. Ibuprofen is better than paracetamol for this I've found. Fever 24-48 hours with aching headache, tiredness, aching at injection site is not uncommon. But if the fever is significant e.g. 39.5 celsius or above or persistent despite regular ibuprofen/paracetamol then she should get a swab, isolate etc (ofcourse if she gets cough or loss or smell or taste too)

What's good though is however rotten she is feeling, as mentioned above the turnaround from that to being perfectly fine for most people is pretty dramatic and quick too, unlike a cough/cold type of thing. Hope she gets better soon and it hasn't put her off the second jab.

Yes perfectly common what what I've heard, although if its the 2 dose one more people are feeling rough after the 2nd.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...other-covid-spike-if-people-mix-after-vaccine

We've said it before. The next big increase is going to happen after idiots get the vaccine and think that immediately makes them immune, and also that it means they won't still be carriers. Expect large gatherings and morons walking around shops without masks on saying "I'm fine, I've had the vaccine hehehe".
In the leaflet my wife had today it says the same thing , that you will have protection 12 to 14 days after the second jab. All the carers that have had it have been told to act as if they haven`t had it as they may still be able to contract and transmit the virus to the elderly they are caring for.

In the leaflet my wife had today it says the same thing , that you will have protection 12 to 14 days after the second jab. All the carers that have had it have been told to act as if they haven`t had it as they may still be able to contract and transmit the virus to the elderly they are caring for.
2 weeks after the first jab or second jab? Wasnt the UK looking at delaying the 2nd jab because the first jab will do the job for now ?

I will probably be vaccinated by september, but will be wearing a mask when out for a good long while.

I wonder if rushing people out to cater for new cases was a factor?
Wouldn't surprise me. My 91 year old Gran picked it up in hospital last April after a fall and was asymptomatic so they sent her to a care home for respite/recovery after a couple of weeks once she tested positive. She was back there later in the summer due to blood clots in the lungs and other ailments caused by it. To be fair, in that time everyone was still learning what the virus actually does to people.

Leaving vulnerable people with weak immune systems half vaccinated for 3 months in the middle of a huge surge is an incredibly risky game to play when it comes to mutations.
It's not half though, is it? I think it makes a lot of sense but of course it's a balancing act and opinions will differ.

It's not half though, is it? I think it makes a lot of sense but of course it's a balancing act and opinions will differ.

Nobody knows what it is, and that's why it's a huge risk doing it on such a large scale.