SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

I lead a team of software developers in a large company. There are 200 of us in the IT department, working from home is optional, no questions asked. Out of those 200, around 40 come to work anyway and there are around 800 people in the company building in total, a half of which work from the office.

We had a confirmed coronavirus case with one of our programmers last week and everyone in contact were asked to isolate. So far, three people sharing the office with her were confirmed positive and our head of department lost his sense of smell and taste today.

In the meantime, he refused to isolate and was coming to work every day. He constantly moves from one office to another, has had dozens of meetings and even held 3 on-site job interviews this week.

Talk about a super spreader..

He finally got tested yesterday and it returned positive today. Two more people in the office building have developed symptoms, taking us to a total of 11 that I know of so far, 7 of those have already tested positive. An absolute joke.

Also been some interesting studies that show you might be able to predict where the next spikes/clusters/outbreaks may be by examining the faeces in the sewage systems.....

We recently went 11 days in NSW without a locally acquired case. We detected SARS-CoV-2 in sewage during that period, testing was urged in the area and a few days later we had an outbreak. However, a town in Qld had the same thing and testing found nothing and there have been no cases reported since.

Transmission on flights riskier than we thought.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/12/20-3910_article

Of 64 people on the flight who had or later developed Covid at least 8 and possibly 11 caught it on the 5 hr flight from Sydney to Perth. Most were in windows seats which is the opposite of what was expected.

20-3910-F4.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission on flights riskier than we thought.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/12/20-3910_article

Of 64 people on the flight who had or later developed Covid at least 8 and possibly 11 caught it on the 5 hr flight from Sydney to Perth. Most were in windows seats which is the opposite of what was expected.

20-3910-F4.jpg
A lot of primary cases, very little mask-usage or other safety measures, before anyone extrapolates this too much whilst thinking about today's flight safety. Good study nonetheless.

A lot of primary cases, very little mask-usage or other safety measures, before anyone extrapolates this too much whilst thinking about today's flight safety. Good study nonetheless.

It was very early on so numbers on the flight
wouldn't have been restricted and I doubt there was much if any mask wearing. The windows seat seeming to escalate risk even when you don't leave your seat is interest though. Presumably something to do with airflow patterns.

It was very early on so numbers on the flight
wouldn't have been restricted and I doubt there was much if any mask wearing. The windows seat seeming to escalate risk even when you don't leave your seat is interest though. Presumably something to do with airflow patterns.
Yeah. They talk about masks in the study. Very few used them, including symptomatic primary cases. Window seat pattern is interesting indeed. I do prefer the aisle anyway, though.

Yeah. They talk about masks in the study. Very few used them, including symptomatic primary cases. Window seat pattern is interesting indeed. I do prefer the aisle anyway, though.

On aircraft the air comes down from the ceiling and is drawn out through vents underneath the windows by your feet. Presumably because of the power of the onboard circulation system, any virus particles that are picked up are carried right past you in the window seat.

There has been an awful lot of research carried out since that flight (admittedly airline/manufacturer led) that shows a low risk of transmission, if procedures are followed.

Last edited:
The logistics of vaccine distribution and administration

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12808914

Which vaccineseach country has manufacturing capacity to produce and/which vaccines each country has signed up for may further complicate roll out. Not surprising and ina way good that we are getting more specifics.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-vaccine-may-take-an-extra-year-minister-says

India has promised 500 million doses of the vaccine by July - and expect 250 million people vaccinated.

All eggs in the AstraZeneca basket.

What do you mean by the last sentence? I’m sure there’s a hell of a lot of Italians with different opinions to those that took to the streets. And I’m sure they would like to be listened to as well.
These protests were in Campania where the regional president is taking a hard line - they didn't have a big problem with the virus first time around, but now they're one of the worst-affected regions.

It seems likely to me that these violent protests aren't really protests, they're ultras/extremists stirring up discontent. The business owners held a peaceful protest the night before, as it happened. The Mafia (Camorra) is very active in that particular part of Italy and the authorities have been trying to minimise their exploitation of the Covid crisis.

My brother may have to isolate for 14 days due to a colleague potentially testing positive.

_115054614_mediaitem115054613.jpg

So much for the regional approach working out in Italy. Or the idea that the north / south divide and the economic effects being felt particularly harshly in historically disadvantaged areas was being kept under control. Likewise for the idea that there's something uniquely wrong with young people in the UK that were intolerant to the restrictions and their effects.

Maybe we should listen to them.

Lots of Italians dont consider Naples truly part of Italy, including Neopolitans themselves. It's a totally different place. They rarely need much of an excuse to get out on the streets and riot, I wouldn't read too much into it.

A women in my office had been coming in with Corona virus symptoms for over a week and didn’t tell anybody.

She thought she had stomach flu and was immediately sent home on Tuesday when someone found out.

It transpires that her boyfriend, that she lives with was unwell too and had been tested for Corona virus. His test came back positive on Wednesday:mad:.

If people weren’t so bloody selfish and isolated themselves when they had symptoms we wouldn’t be in such a fecking shit situation.

A women in my office had been coming in with Corona virus symptoms for over a week and didn’t tell anybody.

She thought she had stomach flu and was immediately sent home on Tuesday when someone found out.

It transpires that her boyfriend, that she lives with was unwell too and had been tested for Corona virus. His test came back positive on Wednesday:mad:.

If people weren’t so bloody selfish and isolated themselves when they had symptoms we wouldn’t be in such a fecking shit situation.
Especially when we could be edging to some sort of critical mass again.

I saw that, thanks. I've always been an aisle seat fan from my drinking days.
I used to be a window seat guy but now I’m older and bladder control is more challenging I don’t like climbing over people to get to the loo.
that being said I don’t like getting bashed by the trolleys either

What has your company communicated to all staff about wfh? If i went to work with real symptoms there'd be no one to catch it off me. I usually go 1 afternoon per week.

Lots of Italians dont consider Naples truly part of Italy, including Neopolitans themselves. It's a totally different place. They rarely need much of an excuse to get out on the streets and riot, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I know that they do not like the North, but this regarding not considering themselves to be Italy is new to me. What are they then, a city-state?

What has your company communicated to all staff about wfh? If i went to work with real symptoms there'd be no one to catch it off me. I usually go 1 afternoon per week.

Business as usual unless she gets a positive test. They sanitised her desk but that’s it.

i’ve been working from home but it’s a shit show.

I know that they do not like the North, but this regarding not considering themselves to be Italy is new to me. What are they then, a city-state?

They're just very different to the rest of the country. If there were ever to be a Catalan style independence movement in Italy, it would be in Naples.

They're just very different to the rest of the country. If there were ever to be a Catalan style independence movement in Italy, it would be in Naples.

I thought the closest thing Italy had in that respect was the Lega Nord campaign for greater autonomy - and for some, independence - for the north?

I thought the closest thing Italy had in that respect was the Lega Nord campaign for greater autonomy - and for some, independence - for the north?

They use it to stir up anti Southern resentment but I dont think they ever actually want to split off, if anything its more the other way round. Lots of the North just resent paying for the South.

Interesting that it looks like Australia has saved at least 400 extra lives per month through covid related restrictions, with deaths during June being 400 lower than the bottom of the likely range.

Interesting that it looks like Australia has saved at least 400 extra lives per month through covid related restrictions, with deaths during June being 400 lower than the bottom of the likely range.

Interesting but not surprising. Much less traffic on the roads, more drinking at home so less drink driving and less transmission of all the usual infectious diseases. You can always save lives if you wrap everyone in cotton wool. But not a trade off that society would usually be willing to make.

Interesting but not surprising. Much less traffic on the roads, more drinking at home so less drink driving and less transmission of all the usual infectious diseases. You can always save lives if you wrap everyone in cotton wool. But not a trade off that society would usually be willing to make.

It was just interesting to see it quantified. Mainly respiratory deaths down although oddly dementia deaths were also down. And of course that doesn't account for any longer term health issues caused by the lockdown (early on in all states and now in Victoria) be it mental health or people not going to the doctor when they should. Luckily we haven't had to do much delaying of essential medical treatment due to keeping infection numbers down.

0 new cases reported in Victoria today. Been a long time coming. Still in lockdown, hoping for good news in the next couple of days.

0 new cases reported in Victoria today. Been a long time coming. Still in lockdown, hoping for good news in the next couple of days.

I'm hoping we have a 4th day in NSW and have zero national cases of local transmission for the first time since this began (I assume).

Edit: 1 case in NSW - connected to a known cluster

I'm just hoping they jumped on the Victorian school cluster fast enough and that we won't see some infections over the next few days. I can't believe the flack Dan Andrews is getting for delaying a decision on decreasing restriction for a couple of days to get the testing backlog done as a result of aggressively testing the close contacts of the school cluster.

Last edited:
Spain ordering nationwide curfew

could you imagine them even suggesting that to the U.K. public?
I doubt there would me much problem if they did that here. Its 11pm to 6am. There's no pubs or clubs open in the uk after 10pm so why would people be bothered about being out after 11pm.

I can't believe the flack Dan Andrews is getting for delaying a decision on decreasing restriction for a couple of days to get the testing backlog done as a result of aggressively testing the close contacts of the school cluster.
I am not the least bit surprised! People are desperate for this stage IV lockdown to be over. It's hard to stay rational. Plus it looks like the DHHS might have mishandled the family at the centre of the outbreak, they don't fill me with confidence. Fingers crossed for the outbreak to be controlled and restrictions easing by the end of the week.