Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind this too much if our other new signings perform at a high level. Not every player we sign this summer needs to be a world beater, some just need to be better than what we currently have. Currently we have the nightmare version of Casemiro who can't tackle, pass and keeps losing the ball.

Get Berge and Rabiot, sell McTominay to help fund de Ligt and Mazraoui. Then work on getting another midfielder in the winter window or following summer.

I remember this lad being highly rated before he came to the PL. He joined and was completely bang average, I don't think I ever saw a game where he impressed me and if not for his physique would stand out even less.

Editing quotes now, what are you - 12?

Im not going to bother this debate anymore. I think debating with someone with an actual point is better worth the time.

I remember this lad being highly rated before he came to the PL. He joined and was completely bang average, I don't think I ever saw a game where he impressed me and if not for his physique would stand out even less.

I remember when he signed for Sheff Utd it was seen as bit of a coup but I assumed that was mainly due to his reputation in Football Manager around the time.

This can’t be real. All the other targets this window have made sense. He’s a worse option that McT and I don’t rate McT at all.

The only reason this move would happen would be to game PSR.

This might turn out to be a decent signing. But sure as hell hope it’s not our only mid field signing.

If he was replacing Amrabat in the squad - that would be okay.

EtH did a great job to develop de Jong, who is quite clearly a ball playing midfielder. Why shouldn't he be able to do the same with Mainoo?
I’ve never claimed Mainoo won’t progress, he quite clearly will and ten Hag will continue to make him a key player in his team.

However, if you re-read my initial post, what worries me is us ironing out very positive traits he has naturally in his game that will be ruined by the style of football we play. Ten Hag has on numerous occasions admitted that what he wants his midfield to do is play transition football. We averaged 50.4% ball possession per game in the league last season (joint with Fulham). By being a side who do not value heavy ball retention and instead instantly look to play expansive and progressively, we will forego Mainoo’s ability to play in possession. All whilst he’s still in the formative years of his development where young players absorb traits and habits which shape them for the rest of their careers.

This can’t be real. All the other targets this window have made sense. He’s a worse option that McT and I don’t rate McT at all.

What's the mentioned transfer fee?

If we're in for a Scandi midfielder I'd rather we chase Hjulmand. Speculation surrounding him seems to have gone quiet.

To be honest, that's not a bad reason to do it. He's clearly better at actual midfield stuff than McT (low bar of course), so selling McT for 25-30m and getting this bloke in for half that maybe slightly improves the squad quality and gives us a lot more room on the PSR balance sheet.

If he's basically being signed to facilitate better quality increases elsewhere, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I’ve never claimed Mainoo won’t progress, he quite clearly will and ten Hag will continue to make him a key player in his team.

However, if you re-read my initial post, what worries me is us ironing out very positive traits he has naturally in his game that will be ruined by the style of football we play. Ten Hag has on numerous occasions admitted that what he wants his midfield to do is play transition football. We averaged 50.4% ball possession per game in the league last season (joint with Fulham). By being a side who do not value heavy ball retention and instead instantly look to play expansive and progressively, we will forego Mainoo’s ability to play in possession. All whilst he’s still in the formative years of his development where young players absorb traits and habits which shape them for the rest of their careers.
OK, fair enough, I get your point. But I'm still very relaxed about that. We don't play possession-heavy football but it's not like we are just sitting back waiting to counter. But with our make-shit defense last season, we did it more often then we would have liked to.

I think the plan when we are in possession is to play direct when there is room to do so or else build the play patiently from the back. We will be better at executing this and have more posession this season or EtH will be gone anyway.

Have no idea how good or bad he is, just saw some tweets floating around with stats and most of them had Berge at high on the list.

Hopefully we did proper scouting on his fitment to the team.

Buying a few cheap squad players is fine, as we really do need to improve our bottom level as well as our top level. And that is both in terms of individual quality and also suitability to how we want to play.

Whether Berge is the right option to do that, I have no idea. But the idea is fine.

Just looked at the links and thankfully they're not credible.

We aren’t being linked with any footballing midfielders. :(
ETH as shown from last season loves to bypass the midfield and doesn’t want them on the ball for high volume passing.

Hopefully Wilcox’s “Game Model” isn’t similar but it looks like it is…

Get Berge and Rabiot, sell McTominay to help fund de Ligt and Mazraoui. Then work on getting another midfielder in the winter window or following summer.
Yep. Easy isn't it.
Though I'd add get rid of AWB and sancho too

He's much better than McT in the role we'd be playing him in. It'd be about balancing the squad.

Not sure exactly of his level, but it makes sense that we'll be in the market for a rotation level DM this window if we feel that our long term first choice is unavailable. For example, perhaps ideally we would like Wharton, but as a placeholder, someone like Berge will have to do for now.

All guesswork of course.

I'd take him. I think he has he qualities we need, speed, legs and discipline. Just to sit at the back and let mainoo and Bruno do what they need to.

I'd be disappointed if he was the only MF signing though

I am for this transfer, especially if we can get him at a fair price.

Go search his name, plenty have been on the hype train for years.

He was highly rated as a youngster but at 26 and having played for Sheff United and Burnley his career has been underwhelming

Nowhere near good enough for us or any PL side in the top 10. Bizarre transfer based entirely on us having no budget for a proper player, if this was some master stroke deal it would have been wrapped up weeks ago.

If this player is being brought in because 1) we can’t shift Casemiro and 2) we can’t afford Ugarte then we’re in massive trouble.

Last edited:
He looks more than decent. People baulking at the idea of signing him mainly because they think if a player plays for Burnley in the championship means he must be shit. Many wouldn’t be happy with Robertson or wijnaldum either.
I believe he hasn't play one single match for Burnley in the CS. Burnley signed him before the start of last season.

Yep, if this was in any way a good transfer/exciting opportunity/planned squad building, given the fees, it would have been done early July.

It's just more desperation manoeuvres.

We are all aware this hasn't happened yet right?

We essentially have no holding midfielder. Casemiro is finished at this level. We don't have the money to bring in an elite player for this role. Berge is clearly not the standard we should be targeting but is there much else out there within our budget? We need to bring someone in.

He's also very useful defending freekicks, something we may struggle with after losing Varane and potentially McTommy. Only really seen him when we play against him and he's generally pretty decent, which doesn't say much about his ability, but he was Burnley's player of the year, so must have been consistent. Small fee and relatively low wages and I'm not against the club signing him.
Yea I wouldn't be against is as well. What I see from highlights is a player who shows for the ball and passes to the right player, albeit with the relatively easily achievable pass. Also someone who positions sensiblly and is strong in the tackle. Basically looks like he does the basics on the pitch fairly well.

Hilarious that I see a lot of people saying he's worse than McT who imo I wouldn't even start in a championship team let alone be close to being player of the year. For me I want my midfielders to first and foremost do all the basics of football right, if they can also score on top of that then that is a bonus. Meanwhile the only thing McT is above average at is timing a run into the box to score easy chances. I'm willing to bet Berge is better at football than McT, but that is such a low bar I'm even disgusted I've spent more than a minute on this topic.

Yes but I dont think there's a need to prefix every post in a transfer speculation forum with if this happens

It does if you're claiming it's a move of desperation?

Otherwise I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.